Celestial Diversions on the Celestial Mountain

Karren Gaunt

When: During the training period after Into the Sargaso

Where: The Celestial Mountain

Karren Gaunt, Chosen of the Incarnae Luna, Terror of the Shrieking Hoards, and Official Proud Native of the Planet Miranda, was unhappy. Arms crossed over her chest, fingers tapping a rhythm of discontent on her elbow, her golden eyes considered the door in front of her like a fortress gate in need of breaching to rescue her prince in distress from a horrible flesh-eating monster. It had been far too long that her target had been ensnared within, much as as she privately acknowledged part of that was her own fault for being so busy herself, but no more. She knew he was in there by the faint silhouette of his seated outline on the paper screen door, but he wouldn't be in there much longer. This ended tonight!

A few long strides carried her over the extravagant crimson rug to the door, and a trio of loud knocks on the doorframe presaged her words of challenge, "Daniel Nova Hawkins! It's been three months, two weeks, and one day since we've gone out and done something fun. This wrong will be righted and you are coming with me, willingly or unwillingly, so help me Luna. What is your answer?!?"

She gave a bit of a teasing laugh that ruined her air of challenge as she waited for a response, red hair up in a high ponytail at the back of her head and looming athletic frame clad in a newly-purchased, black-and-gold patterned sundress that ended at her calves, sandals on her feet.

Dan's eyes opened, and he chuckled softly. He rose from his seated position clad casually in the tunic and pants commonly worn on his own homeworld. He opened the door and smiled at Karren. "I accept your challenge. Today we'll spend together, having what fun there is to be had."

his arms snaked out surprisingly fast and he pulled her to him kissing the tip of her nose. "You look radiant, moreso than normal. Truly it's a special occasion."

The Dawn Caste Solar seemed more at ease than before, and it was surprising not to find him in his armor. "I doubt I'll need any of my arsenal, it's not like it's far away though."

"Since this is your challenge, I'll concede the first choice of "Entertainment and fun" to you."

That earned Dan a wide grin and a pleased laugh, the Amazonian lunar returning the hug before dancing back out of his embrace.

"You are a flatterer, Dan. I've arranged a reservation at the Starlight Garden for later. Supposed to be nice for those of us who need to eat food on the Celestial Mountain. This place puts everywhere else I've been to shame after spending the last few days of stretching my legs to meet and greet and eat new things. Almost forgot about you in here for a few days to be honest."

A look a shame fluttered across her face before vanishing in the flush of her excitement, "But let's start off with the local park. I think they have samples of every kind of non-carnivorous tree in the galaxy. Well, a some of them anyway."

He nodded, and offered her his arm. "I know the way." As they walked he smiled at her. "I could never forget you. Our bond is strong." He tapped her chest lightly. "And not the one between exaltations." He smiled at her, it was a tenderness that he spoke with. "The bond between you and I."

He led on to the park, known for its verdant forests and fields, where the wars of the outside could be forgotten.

Karren chuckled again and waited till they were under the shadows of the trees before speaking again, voice relatively quiet and introspective, "I did a good deed yesterday. Found an evil mortal who was using her gifts to prey on the weak and foolish further down the Mountain. I showed her the effect of being hunted, made sure she'd never do it again, and took her shape so that at least part of her would live on to do something right. She was the first human whose heart I've taken. Different. Pigeons and groundlings don't babble when you take them. Do you want to see her?"

There was a question other than the spoken one in the Amazonian Lunar's golden eyes, one her lips held captive for now.

There was a war in his mind, Nova arguing that this was normal for lunars, and Dan, the small part that remained, that it was just wrong to eat people.

Dan smiled. "I love you in all your forms, old and new. No matter what form you take though, you're still Karren, My Karren."

"i'd look upon you in your new form if you wish to show me, but I don't want you to ruin the outfit you wear. if you can do so without it then do as you would."

There was conflict but the truth was he accepted her. He meant every word."

Karren chuckled in relief, glad to be able to avoid having to argue that point. There were times, past life memories or no past life memories, she couldn't help but worry she wasn't living up to her Solar Mate's standards and chaffed at the idea of having to fight to change those standards just to exercise her Luna-given gifts. Hadn't happened often, but when it did...

She halted Dan with the touch of a finger and stepped in front of him, "Luna provides, my love. I won't even end up with my clothing puddled around my feet or sent Elsewhere."

Karren inhaled and exhaled, her form shrinking and paling as she went from looking down at Dan's eyes to looking up into them. Red hair darkened to black, gold eyes shifted to brown, and intimidating curves softened to petite slenderness. She spread her arms to both sides, dress and sandals having changed to fit the new flesh she sported. "Well," she asked, the faintest hint of her old tells visible if one squinted at her arms and in her smile, "What do you think? Unlike me enough to get into places where I need a pair of hands and Mirandan members of your crew aren't welcome?"

There was a laugh in the question, joy at having another tool in her toolbox, anticipation at the thought of a new challenge.

"You look great with red hair." He took her in and smiled. It's definitely not close to your normal form, though if her friends see you it could cause issues yes?"

It was different to be looking down and not up, and he chuckled. "Still it's definitely not a bad look, and a good change of pace."

"I can see you getting up to all sorts of trouble with it, like any of your forms."

"Why thank you. I consider trouble a sign I'm doing things right. If I couldn't find the 'Verse's problems, I certainly couldn't amuse myself solving the 'Verse's problems, could I?" bantered Karren back, spinning once more on her feet before molding against his side again, "And don't worry. I won't be spending too much time in this skin. I'd miss my usual ability to lift heavy boxes onto high shelves."

She hummed in contentment before glancing up at her Solar Mate, borrowed features teasing, "Ya know, I did find a public cuju field. If we can find a ball and you're up for some one on one..?"

"My oldest brother used to say even the best gun jams if you don't take care of it every once in a while," agreed Karren, "How should people or Exalts be different? Only thing that could make this better is some badlands so I can go stretch my muscles fully. I haven't used my spirit shape in *forever* it seems like. It'll come though, and you're fine, too."

She set words aside and let the myriad trees and the bird song and the skittering of animals in the branches above. The path to the cuju field spent some time hugging a large pond and the splash of water fowl and other aquatic denizens joined the background chorus.

The minutes of silent companionship ended when they reached the cuju field and found the rectangular expanse of grass already hosting a rousing game in progress, each club having claimed on of the long sides and watching a dozen men and women per group chasing and kicking a ball up and down the field. The smell of meat roasting on grills and chatter of cheers and laughter played up to the duo of exalt. "Well, frag," mock pouted the currently dark-haired, petite Lunar, "Guess it was too much to think something nice like this would remain unoccupied."

He smiled and led her to the seating so they could watch. "We can enjoy their game, no need to get sweaty to start the day." Several in the crowd were marshals, on the field too. Those who saw Dan seemed somewhat wary, He had a certain reputation amidst his comrades, he wasn't one that would normally be seen having fun. a couple juniors who'd gotten in on a day pass sketched nervous salutes, which he returned. "We are all off duty, let's just enjoy the game."

He chuckled. "Is this to settle a dispute, or just a game between friends?"

"Settling a friendly wager between squadronmates, Senior Marshall Hawkins. Nothing outside of what is allowed by regulations." replied one particularly nervous junior officer who became only more nervous when Karren grinned widely from Dan's side, looking at the game with more interest. Much as she *liked* getting sweaty in a good cause, watching others put on a show could be rewarding in it's own way.

"Whose leading?" the Lunar asked, settling down against her Solar Mate.

"Umm. Them, err, Ma'm. Two to one, but our Chief will beat them before it's over yet," responded the same hapless Marshal, erring on the side of respect in regards to his superior's companion, making Karren grin all the wider.

Karren loved to torment the rank and file, something he laughed at inwardly. "No worries, I see nothing wrong. It looks like it's a great game." He turned his attention to it to watch The one he assumed to be the Chief Tie it up with a powerful kick, from nearly midfield. "Impressive."

"Whew!" added Karren at the shot, "Accurate eyes and a powerful set of legs. You guys do have a chance."

She snuggled against Dan's side, watching the mad scramble of the kick off and ignoring the mild indignation of the Marshals around her beyond anything but a teasing wink.

"What you got in the coolers? I'm saving my appetite for dinner reservations later, but nothing makes a game of cuju complete like something to moisten the throat."

They produced several bottles of water, one of a fruit drink and with some reticience, something that could only be BlueStar Ale. Dan took one and smiled. "Now this, this is the right way to watch." The seemed relieved, and he took a draught from his beer. The score went up to 3-2, with their new friends ahead.

"Goal! Go team where we happen to be sitting right now!" exclaimed Karren before knocking back a long drag of her ale, "How much more time was left on this match anyway?"

"Eleven minutes, thirty-two second, Ma'm," responded one of the observers on their side, somewhat less perturbed now that his superior's companion seemed less... scary in her enthusiasm. The other team looked noticeably less happy, starting to grumble as the alcohol got flowing on their side of the field as well.

Karren shifted to the edge of her seat, dark eyes following the action like a hawk does a mouse below.

Archived