[PEP] Interest

Shinn

Okay, before any information, let's get this out of the way...

PEP stands for Panty Explosion Perfect. DO NOT LET THE NAME DETER YOU.

The name of the system is based on a satire of a trope within the genre this game is originally based on, which is Japanese Horror. More specifically, the japanese suspense horror genre that involves High School girls with innate psychic powers who often bond together to fight a demon of some sort.

I say that to ensure you all that the only way this game will get as perverted as the title is if you all make it so. This game is narrative driven, and thus it's limits (as far as gore, violence, comedy, romance, whatever) is all up to you all.

Experience with this game is not required as I am willing to help out in teaching.

What the game is about:

Deep in the sprawling heart of Tokyo there is a mysterious, infamous high school where the supernatural is just another fact of life. A dangerously haunted place where restless spirits stalk the halls and demons roam the school grounds. Some say the school was built on top of the remains of an abandoned Shinto shrine, while others whisper of ancient curses and wartime atrocities.
One thing is certain, the school has become both a magnet and a haven for the strange, bizarre, and supernatural. There’s a special group of students who don’t have the luxury of ignoring the bizarre and sinister threats that plague their school. When the blood thirsty Demon Prince of Shinjuku comes looking for souls or the swim team is once again possessed by the ancient spirits of vengeful ninja, it’s up to the few brave young women with barely restrained psychic powers to defend their classmates.
These are the stories of the psychic school girls, tragic young women doomed to lives of violent combat, using powers they can barely control to fight monstrosities whose existence they can scarcely comprehend! Psychic powers are as much a curse as they are a gift, and most psychic
school girls have little understanding or control of their strange abilities.
Since psychic powers often manifest themselves in strange and unsettling ways, most psychic
girls hide their powers from their friends. Many are driven to suicide or insanity. Some schoolgirls revel in their power, using it to humiliate and hurt their rivals. These girls are often the quickest to draw the attention of the demons, ghosts and other monsters who crave not just their psychic energy, but also their flesh and minds that have been tainted by malevolence and hatred.
Even without brain-eating monsters and deranged teenage psychics the Japanese school system is notoriously daunting, with demanding exams and fierce competition to get into the best schools. Many students suffer breakdowns under the exhaustive workload and pressure from their family and teachers to succeed, or fall victim to vicious bullying from classmates. Compared to the terror of academic failure, fighting flesh eating ghosts and tentacled shadow beasts is almost a vacation!
Needless to say, you are playing these girls. You don't have to have a character concept yet (though feel free to post ideas), but what I am looking for is:
1. Interest (duh!)
2. What you want out of the game- This game is mostly narrative driven, thus it should be stated upfront what makes you comfortable and what doesn't. For example: playing a japanese school girl kind of limits things on the romance front if the high school the PC's are in isn't co-ed (unless you don't mind either not having romance or having girl-girl romance). Also, violence should be mentioned upfront as well. This game could be as dark as Saw, or as lighthearted as a romantic comedy. It's all up to us.
3. An understanding that in this game, unless everyone is in agreement to the contrary, your character can die (and that death can be a messy one depending on how far we're taking it). When you fail an action, another person can narrate your failure (More on that when I teach how to play). That person will have free reign as to how severe your failure is.
Even IF death isn't possible, you should still be prepared to have bad things happen to your character. Don't worry, though, character creation is easy, and you're allowed to create a new student in the midst of an adventure.
4. Finally, questions are always welcome. :)
So... yeah.

I've read the rules finally to this. Suddenly I am not interested.

1: Your chances of success are decided on a vote where the "Most Popular" succeeds on a wide margin (3+), while the least on the smallest(5+). This can lead to quite a lot of OOC in-fighting, not to mention people's characters getting "voted off".

2: When you fail, your actions are decided on by your "Rival", and I do not trust that.

3: Success is controlled by the "Best Friend" of the character. Taking more control from your character.

This game takes away player agency. Sorry, Shinn, but not interested. Also I think people should be made aware of a glaring design flaw in this system.

A system that puts the success or failure, and the description thereof, in the hands of a number of different people, none of whom are the actual player of the character or the ST, is unlikely to work in a PBP forum. This system might work in a very trusting, tight-knit tabletop game, but in a forum setting you're looking at a great deal of writing, OOC talking, and then complete rewriting of each scene. I cannot see that leading to anything other than a great deal of OOC bickering and frustration over wasted writing in this format and with the players on this site that would most likely be interested in a game setting as you've described.

I would suggest, most especially for a first game on the forums here, Shinn, that you perhaps look towards your M&M game idea.

Archived