[Numenera] The Nightmare Switch

jameson (ST)

Raiche stepped forward and gave the guard a sympathetic look.

"I can tell. The whole town seems like that. Listen...would it be okay if we went in anyway? You could come with us. I mean, for all we know something's wrong. Or maybe they nodded off and just haven't woken back up yet. We can check in on them and make the delivery all at the same time."

(Trained in Persuasion but... SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 3: 3 ...sorry folks. Being trained only helps so much when you roll like that.)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That's right," piped up Alice. "They - even now, even as we speak - could be entwined in the stony grip of a nightmare unfurled, their worst fears made manifest. Even one more night would be a horror beyond imagination! But we could intervene right now, and save them from this fate... if you'd but let us."

Korch set his crate down and eased himself down to take a seat making sure the lid would support him. What he had thought to be an easy checkpoint was turning into far more of a hassle than he thought it would be. He couldn't imagine that a possible cure would be delayed by such technicalities in the face of such obvious suffering.

The rest of the group had done their fair share of laying guilt and worry upon the poor guard and Korch waited to see how effective it was prior to joining the continued conversation. Though he worried that the guard was so exhausted that even with a convincing tongue, she might pay them no heed.

Thoughts crossed his mind of simply overpowering the girl, but that seemed prematurely excessive and there was no confirmation that others would not be barring their way beyond this first checkpoint. It certainly wouldn't aid the group's argument to be paid if they had assaulted a guard. No, Korch couldn't see Deymish agreeing to it, even as a last resort.

The bowman sighed lightly and rubbed the tiredness from his eyes as he waited for the guardswoman's answer.

"Uh," Hatania scrabbed at her face, clearly the lack of sleep was getting to the woman. "I ... I wish I could, but the tower ... they don't give me a key." She yawned, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright lass, I understand. Thar's things outside our control every day." Deymish sighed, his shoulders slumping with defeat. "I'll come back on tha morrow and try again, hopefully the priests, they do be up ta seeing visitors then." He looked at the others, unsure what else to say. "I'd be appreciative if you all help me bring these crates back to tha Swift. After that I'll leave ya to yer own devices fer the evening. Unless ya have a better idea?"

"The situation does not feel right, Captain." Korch said, rising. "People are desperate and yet salvation is not properly welcomed."

Korch took a few steps towards Hataniah and offered his hands in a placating gesture, "Surely a guard within could be called, or runner sent to inquire upon the priests. What would be done should the silence persist beyond the day...the week? How long could their convenience remain undisturbed in the face of their people's peril? I would take their wrath for the intrusion and remove thought of disobeying guard from their mind."

"Let us pass, Hataniah. Get us to them." Korch pleaded. He had tasted what these people were suffering and he had a genuine fear of having to endure for any length of time. He wondered if these people were even yet sane for the disturbing imagery that continued to assault them.

Persuasion...perhaps?
Assuming he even has a chance....

Welcome! You have entered [Lobby] at 9:32 am
[Lobby]: Forge has entered at 9:32 am
/backtime 5

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 17: 17

"Hmmmm."

Even the flamboyant Alice Chalk knew to lower her voice. "Perhaps we could make our way in by... other means...? See what the lay of the newly landed land is, fresh beneath our boots. A window to open, a spire to climb, an underwater passage. Just to see if all is well and naught is rotten as Korch's nose has sussed out."

The woman frowned sadly, "I cannot open the tower, not for lack of want but for lack of a key. The way can only be made safe by the priests from within the tower." She shook her head slowly, tiredly, "I am sorry." She blinked her red rimmed eyes rapidly, clearly trying to banish the need for sleep. "I can only open this gate, but to do so knowing that the way is not safe ... I cannot."

"Ha! Shadows and reflections, most like. The personal demons of our sought priests and of ourselves, loosed upon the waking world to tempt us and battle us, matched against our steel and gumption. Naught but what we faced in our dreams on our journey, so have at them, I say."

"Do not jest!" Hataniah seemed quite earnest. "The priests keep their tower secure using items of the numenera. They have laid cunning traps such that intruders and thieves would be wary, and only the can disarm them, from within the tower proper. I do believe you could be correct, that the priests could have succumbed to these mares, but it would be ill advised to allow you past knowing that there are measures in place to keep you out beyond this mere door."

Arisi's eyes lit up at the mention of numenera, most decidedly not the reaction Hataniah was going for. She rummaged through her bag, pulling out a small syringe-like device filled with a eerily green-glowing liquid. "Oh, then I'll go in and talk to them, make it safe for everyone else."

Hataniah most probably assumed she meant the priests, but the others had had just enough time around the diminutive nano to know she more likely meant the numenera. "Then we can deliver the jili berries and people can hopefully sleep without wanting to kill themselves when they wake up," she finished encouragingly. She glanced around the group, giving just a moment for anyone else to suggest a better idea before she injected herself with the armoring draught. It would be a shame to waste it, if they decided on something else.

Raiche shrugged and put the boxes she was carrying down on the ground.

"I'll go with you," she said. "You can go first and everything, but I'll be there to back you up if things go bad."

The jack gave the guard a 'what can you do' smile and shrugged. "Here's what you need to know. Arisi knows numenera like a glaive knows every nick on his blade. I've never seen anyone who can do what she can do." She spoke with a plain, simple directness that came off as being completely honest. One might question her judgement, but not her veracity.

"If there's anyone in this town, or anywhere in this whole region, who can get into that tower and help the people inside...it's her. Now me? I'm just along to make sure she stays safe. I'm pretty good at that."

She nodded.

"If you have any doubt about what's going on in there...any concern at all...you'll let us in so we can do what we do best."

Persuasion!

[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Hm. I am trained in persuasion
[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: I will have a go at it.
[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: I can just roll now...
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d10: 7: 7
[Charlotte] 9:30 pm: Go for it
[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Oops, that's a 10
[Charlotte] 9:30 pm: Isn't it a d20 though?
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 13: 13
[Lobby]: Abyss Phantasia has left at 9:30 pm
[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Yeah, that's what I meant.
[Charlotte] 9:30 pm: 13 ain't bad.
[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Okay, a 13 on a trained skill ain't bad

Before the young nano had moved far the blade of Hataniah's polearm was leveled towards her. It didn't stay there long, moving toward Raiche almost as quickly. "No!" Hataniah insisted firmly, "You shall not enter with my leave. I may be tired, but I am wakeful enough to have no intention of allowing you inside these walls without certain entry to the tower." Her tone brooked no quarrel, "You will have to come back later, and hope that the priests answer. I am sorry, but this is as it must be."

Deymish sighed, "Aye, fair be enough, we'll go. No harm was meant Hataniah, only aid. We shall return in the morn and hope for better luck." He looked at the others, "Let's not press this any further."

GM Intervention
Everybody gets 1 Exp for the setback.

"Weeellll," Raiche says, plainly a little confused. "If she doesn't let us in, and we don't want to knock her out...what are we going to dOOoooo!"

Her eyes widen as she remembers something. "Hey, you know, I've got something that might help!"

After fishing in her pouches, she comes out with a sleek cannister of a dull grey metal. A little green strip on one side glows softly, and unrecognizable symbols jostle within. Just below that is a small violet-shaded window that shows a fluid inside sloshing around.

"This stuff...assuming it's the same stuff that was leaking from the hoses nearby...will eat through just about anything. I bet we could melt a hole right in the wall!"

"Ah, handy, that. Though expensive. I imagine they'll want a new wall regardless, won't they? Still. Hmm. All I've got of previous worlds is a universal translator and anti-cold serum. This may be the ticket...

"What say you all?" she asked of the others. "Eat through the wall with this, in some out of the way spot? Or is there some other way?"

"Matters require urgency. However, could we not return on the morrow as she has asked? Are we so brazen to commit criminal acts upon the defiance of a guard with no thought towards consequence? We are here at the behest of the good Captain and to be paid for delivery, not to be thrown in prison when seized for assault. I will not condone such blind idiocy." Korch said, trying to bring reason to the daring line of statements from his compatriots.

Arisi shurgged and sighed. "I just don't want to sleep while we're here, until things are fixed." She grinned at Korch, stepping lightly over to his side, "So, if we're gonna wait because you don't want to break in, just keep me awake!"

Arisi shurgged and sighed. "I just don't want to sleep while we're here, until things are fixed." She grinned at Korch, stepping lightly over to his side, "So, if we're gonna wait because you don't want to break in, just keep me awake!"

,, ,,

Korch cocked an eyebrow at Arisi. "Nor I. It would be a pleasure to keep each other occupied." he agreed, then blushed at the implication of his statement. He tugged on his hood, trying to sink into the shadows of its confines and hide his embarrassment. He said nothing further to correct himself, knowing it would only fuel the inevitable laughter.

Raiche laughed at Korch...not just at his words (though that as well), but at his obvious mortification as well. She put the cannister of solvent away and shrugged.

"Alright, so...we find a place to crash and keep each other awake...all...night...long..." She breathed the last words with exagerrated huskiness, giving Korch a wide grin as she did it. "Sounds fun. I think I saw the sign of an inn over a little ways as we came into dock."

She waved a hand. "Lets check it out!"

Deymish seemed relieved that the larcenous path was no longer on the table. Resigned to wait he led his companions back to the Swift where they placed the cargo back into the hold. "Now then," he said loudly, "kaff is a must. And perhaps some strong sinensis." The big man rubbed his hands together, "And perhaps they do be having some al'be'kwe!" Without waiting for reply or comment he led them off to the town's inn, and the tavern within.

Sunrise brought hues of gold and purple to the skies above, and in time the golden light of day flooded through the town, banishing darkness once more. Bleary eyed, and starting to feel the effects of fatigue, Deymish opened the cargo hold once more and began passing the crates out for the second time in less than a day. "I do be," he began before being interrupted by a yawn, "hoping that the aeon priests be taking visitors today." He finished only to have another yawn start to contort his features. "Come, let's be quick with it, I do be in need of a cure and a nap."

Before an hour had passed the group once more approached the tower's confining wall, and it's lone apparent exit. Hataniah was not present, instead a younger man, who's features evoked that of the steadfast woman they had expected stood, leaning heavily on an old halberd. He eyed them as they approached but said nothing, instead looking as though he could slip into sleep at a moment's notice, he appeared to be waiting for them to say something. After a moment it became clear that his vacant stare was more than simple sloth, the man seemed to be unaware, despite his open eyes.

Startled, the man jerked awake, pulling out of Raiche's grasp and bumping into the wall behind him. The halberd slipped from his startled fingers and clattered to the ground. "Huh! Wha?" he snorted, looking this way and that and then quickly bending over to pick up his weapon again. He obviously was not the best of guards, though he was likely more than enough for the town and its visitors given the locked gate and the traps beyond. "Wh-who are you?" he asked, rubbing at his bleary eyes with his one free hand. "What business do you have here?"

The man blinked at the three women giving the impression of an aneen trying to decide if a rock tasted good. After a moment, he blinked again, "Huh?"

From behind them Deymish sighed, "We. Have. A. Delivery." The captain enunciated each word, as though speaking to a dumb child.

"Oh." He blinked again, lending credence to the impression that he was not the hardest rock in the quarry, "Umm ..." he scratched at his helmeted head, "What do you need me to do?"

"Uhh ... ok, sure, that makes sense." He fumbled for a loop of keys at his waist, the polearm complicating matters until he dropped both. Embarrassed he quickly bent over to retrieve both and lost his helmet in the process. He sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm just so tired," he said as he turned to unlock the gate, ignoring the helmet until he was done and the way was open. "You be careful, I think the priests have traps an' stuff in there to keep people out." He looked both ways and then in a hushed tone he added, "I ain't seen them in a couple of days. Might be they're too busy with the cure, but I'm a little worried. Don't tell nobody though, might make a panic."

Beyond the gate, the space between the wall and the tower was filled with greenery, a lush garden that looked overgrown almost. Winding through it from the gate was a narrow path. Branches, leaves, and fronds hung into that space as though the few days without tending were enough to allow for the plants to run wild. Beyond that, at the other end of the path, could barely be seen a portion of clear ground, with short grass, and after that the base of the tower and a door inset to an arch of stone.

Raiche yawned and nodded good-naturedly. "Don't worry about it," she assured the guard, clapping him on the shoulder. "Everything'll be fine. And the other gal told us about the traps too. We'll be careful."

She glanced back at Arisi and the others.

"I'll go first. Someone with good eyes go behind me and help me keep a lookout for these things everyone's talking about."

Moving into the clave's compound was more like forging through an old forest path. The overgrown path wound somewhat, snaking back and forth. Carrying the crates as they were, the company merely pushed through the leaves and branches overhanging the path, forging ahead with they delayed delivery. Halfway down the path the company began to notice a painful itch, on their skin where they has brushed up against the plants. At the rear of the column Deymish grunted, and finally cried out, "What kind of damnable plants are these?"

Mechanical stuff
I need everybody to make a Might Check against Poison - level 3 (TN 9) Failure means you are wracked with pain for 10 minutes and all other tasks are 3 levels harder for the duration. Success means a painful itch that goes away quickly. ,,

Everybody gains 1 exp for this intervention.

Arisi shouldered uncomfortably through the foliage and opened her mouth for some tidbit of wisdom (no doubt) in answer to Deymish's question. Unfortunately before she could cheer their erstwhile employer up, a lower branch swung back and stuffed her mouth full of some of the itchy leaves. The slim girl coughed and doubled over, her crate rolling out of her arms and down her front to land with a thud on the ground. Arisi ended up crouched over it, still spitting out bits of leaves and starting to sweat as lances of pain raced through her body.

Might Roll
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 4: 4
[Malachite] 4:28 pm: That is a fail-bot, I'm pretty sure. Poor Arisi.....

Raiche gaped in horror as Arisi was stricken, and then quickly shouldered through the plants as well to try to help! Clearly she wasn't used to being -hurt- by things lately...but whatever numenera might hide under her skin to keep her safe, her skin was still just skin.

Within a few seconds she was slapping at her arms and shouting, "Argh! This isn't a TRAP! What kind of horrible person would grow something like this?!"

She broke out her water skin and tried to scrub herself, but it just spread the oils around and made it worse!

Archived