[Numenera] Table Talk From the 9th World

jameson (ST)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
,, ,, I'm not sure if this is a Speed or Might action, but here's the roll:

Melee attacks can be either speed or might, but it doesn't matter unless a power or effort are involved. E.g. using Pierce (which states it is a speed action) makes the attack a speed action, using effort to increase the damage can be done either way, but whichever you choose is also the pool that the cost of effort is paid out of.

(OOC - Rolled 8 to attack and 20 for defense. If Arisi fails her defense, could I use mine to protect her instead? Not exactly in the rules, I admit. :()

For the current attack cycle no, since the birds go last your actions would come after their dive bombing. But if you like I can treat your roll as a use of of "Draw the Attack" (page 101) for the coming round, and Raiche will take some or all of the heat off of Arisi and the others.

What pool does that counterattack come out of?

Attacks can draw effort from Might or Speed if they are melee, while range attacks are always Speed (unless it's a esoterie, or strange numenera device, which may alter things). You can only apply the Edge from the one you draw points from. First level of effort costs 3 points (minus edge).

changing things up ... one of the things that can be done is that groups of lower level enemies can be lumped together for attacks making the defense harder and the damage greater but requiring fewer rolls and helping to make things move faster. ergo, Raiche is on the receiving end of the full flock's fury

'Stitch' is just one of the numenera Arisi uses for her "hedge magic", unless I'm misunderstanding how that goes and she somehow actually does mystical magic-y stuff with that Esoterie. ,,

Esoteries are something you personally can do. The way they manifest depends on the background you chose. A psionic nano might use mind-over-matter, while a cybered-nano might tap into the nanite field that pervades the world and employs them to the same task.

That said, you might use a weird looking device either as a mental crutch or as a bit of theatrics, either is possible if you so desire.

starting to recover at last

I'll be away for the holiday, as I imagine most will be. Since I know travel can be a pain I'll check on Sat/Sun when I get home and if need be I can update but I'm not going to hold anybody to a "scheduled" post until Wednesday next.

Happy Thanksgiving. Also Happy Last-Thursday-in-November to Mike. ;)

Regarding the upcoming holidays. I will be traveling for at least part of the time and so I will be unable to post reliably for at least some of the time between 23 Dec and Jan 1. After my update on the weekend of the 21/22 I will post as I am able and according to the needs of the thread. I don't want to go on a full hiatus, as I feel we have a pretty good flow of posts at the moment, and I would really like to keep it going, but I also want you all to understand that I may not keep to the strict(ish) schedule I have thus far and that I will not expect you folks to do so either. If we can maintain posts during the holidays great, if not I won't sweat it and we can pick up in Jan.

Sound ok to everybody?

FYI, I don't think there was significant damage dealt to anybody during the prior encounter but you've had ample chance to recover from that by now anyway so going into today's update you all would be at full pools (modified by armor as appropriate).

Also, please speak up if I should go over how recovery works. If nobody asks I'll assume you all understand those rules.

Back on Thursday unless I'm needed sooner.

Archived