Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - [Heroes United] OOC thread

Justin OOC

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jael, I appreciate the opinion of Paladin. That's pretty spot on, I pretty much agree completely. I won't speak as to what I agree or disagree with in the rest of your post, but I would put it at at least a decent understanding/restatement.

Good job & nice post!

I like that we have a totally non-human viewpoint to reflect on us. Jael's mind has an inhuman practicality that I find refreshing. And she just confirmed that I was indeed successful in portraying the youthful inexperience Keeper has.

Btw, wasn't sure if we needed to wait on another post so I've painted a bit of the background in our scenario.

Gatekeeper, I'm letting you guys have free reign for awhile as the other chapters have. you don't really need to wait for me to post something, though don't just kill everyone and move on. have some fun, explore your characters. maybe make your own contact with Ryujin...

I was hoping i'd have the time to get to the actual fight post, but I have to work this afternoon and I took longer than I thought on the build-up; Scout, Keeper and Dash, feel free to post any reactions, if you so choose.

I have some actual free time today. I'm going to throw up a description of Scout's fight. We'll say it's going on simultaneously to Slithers. Could make things complicated. If either of them are in trouble, it'll make it difficult to come to their aid, etc.

Using the initiative order you have in your sig area I'll try to post something after you do, even if it's holding action till Slither's so I can help her. Keeper can only assist one of you at a time using his indirect powers, he can't help both of you without blanketing the whole area in some kind of very noticeable effect.

Posting here for discussion rather than in a spoiler than in the game thread.

Ok, by the invention guidelines in the book... Assuming that this would be a Create power, with the Extras of Innate (can't be nullified), Precise (architecture can get pretty detailed), and Subtle x1 (looks like real matter... because it is) and the Flaw of Permanent. That's 2PP/rank +3PP. That means for 1 rank that would be 5PP, and could create 2 cubic feet of fragile (toughness 1) material... every 6 seconds... for one scene. It would be a DC 15 technology check (routine check for me can go up to DC 30) and 5 hours to get the design, and then 20 hours of work to construct it (by the books, ruling out use of my power...).

SO... I could have a basic prototype done in 25 hours, or per the example in the book take a -15 check penalty (still meet the DC as a routine check) and get it done in just over 3 hours. That's just Paladin. I don't know how you want to deal with the both of us working on it collaboratively.

Well, working a 12 and then 13 hour day, it would take two days to complete. Or, since Dr. Northlight and I both have the same tech bonus (+20), if we each 'took half'... it might cut the time in half... and then we'd be working 8 hour days and it'd still take us two days.

And again, this would just be for the prototype. Steel is a toughness 9, so we'd need to get the final create to at least rank 9 in order to recreate that, and probably 10 in order to have a factor of safety. That'd be 13 hours to design and 52 hours to create (65 total, like a week and a half at 40 hours/week).

And you guys are assuming that the prototype works. I'm not trying to be a bitch here, but one thing I find that RPers of super geniuses forget is that R&D doesn't happen magically because your character is brilliant. In other words, a 25 INT (as a random example) doesn't mean that your character immediately knows what will work. Inventors come up with stuff that is awesome on paper and that absolutely should work, only to have it not happen the way they envisioned. Your character is still building things that aren't going to work, realizing that their idea wasn't perfect, keeping what worked and throwing the rest away, and trying again. That takes time.

Not trying to step on Justin's shoes, just pointing out a flaw in thinking that I see many players share because they don't understand how much of innovation is blind guesswork and relies on several people thinking things through together.

/rant

I envision that rant coming out of an obvious vorpal bunny, and I am creeped completely out...

Now I want to make this happen. Oh! A curse on Jael. "So now you're a rabbit." "No, I look like a rabbit but I can still do all the things I once did." "So... you're a rabbit." "No... look, demonstration time." *chomp!* "My legs, my leg!" "See, I can still bite off your legs. Now what did we learn?" "You bit my leg!" "Yeah, like five minutes ago. Jeez, you're a slow learner..."

To be honest, the invention failing would be the result of bad rolls in the creation of the device.

To be honest, this is where rules and fluff and game canon tend to run into a muddy morass.

I do have a question, can we take longer in-game time on the checks to lower the difficulty? I wanna try to get the DC close to 20 so that it is within shooting range of me doing a routine check with my Expertise: Science. All that chemistry stuff is covered by that particular skill. Using that to figure out adhesives, how the machine could fuel itself from it's surroundings, and what-not is definitely a chemist's forte.

We both have +20 to technology, which is what we'd be using (the default for inventing), so we'd just have to roll a 13. Plus, I have second chance technology, so if I get a horrible roll, I can reroll it and take the better of the two if it's too low. It's not out of our reach, just not routine... which makes sense story wise.

Archived