Mutants & Masterminds:Anyone Interested In A Supers Game?

Justin OOC

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Doc

I'm looking to play the inspiring team leader type. I want to concentrate on being a champion of good and justice and all that neat stuff. It's been a while since I've even looked at stats for this game, so that will be a bit of a hurdle for me, but I'm working on that with heritage and Justin over pm as we speak.

to the Justin OOC account yes. Considering that the world is really not that different from our current world, alot of people are submitting backgrounds as well, which for the most part have been good.

I will say that there is NO Government agency actively policing Supers, so no SHIELD, though one may develop....depending on the character's actions.

Hehe, you may want to adjust somewhat.

Powers are fine and well, but having some balance is wise. You can't always depend on powers.

If you need help with any specific questions or formatting or design, there's quite a few M&M savvy folks here. I'd certainly be willing to help out.

Thanks Dawn, I may do that. ^_^

@SalmonMax; Yeah I got the sense that I'd need more balace too when I compared to the rest of you, but the premise of this character is that beyond his powers he's just a shy normal guy. He's never been in a real fight, and lived a generally unremarkable life with his family (basically a quiet non-com for most of his life). Given all that, I had trouble justifying any explicit combat training. He isn't even schooled in the inner city, so he can't claim basic firearms proficiency.

With any extra points we'd get I planned on buying some environmental immunities to cover the ability to teleport ANYWHERE, like Spaceproof, or climate immunity. But perhaps i should pick up some basic self-defense skills instead?

Even an average Joe could have taken a couple of karate classes or a self defense course. I for one wouldn't consider that out of character.

It cracks me up when people say this. "I took a couple self defense courses". I've studied three martial arts and I have a the equivalent of a third degree brown belt in each. If you've taken a couple of courses then you've learned absolutely nothing worthy of being put on a skill rank. It's better to say that your PC has spent at least a year studying a specific martial art, even if it's boxing courses at a local gym (boxing is a martial art).

If you just took a 'self defense course', you're better off just spending PP on a rape whistle and blowing it when the bad guys show up because your character can't fight. Consider for a moment that your PC is a super hero. He's either taken the time to learn how to defend himself properly (taking up the study of real martial arts), or he's not the fighting type. Either is fine, but think what it means to fight compared to to just flailing around hoping you hit someone.

M&M takes into consideration the fighting comes naturally to some people (the Fighting attribute). This represents that while you're not an active practitioner of a martial art (Skill Ranks in Melee) you possess the ability to think fast, improvise, adapt and overcome combat situations with brute force. In essence, you're a natural street fighter.

Thsi all backs up my initial thought. Given the timescale we have of superpowers existing, the kind of background the character has, and the fact that he has no natural close-quarters fighting talent (FGT = 0), I'm thinking he's more likely to focus on his strengths (i.e. ranged combat since it centers around his decent AGI) than try to build up something that matters little when one can (and will) blink out of melee range.

Sure I'm a glass cannon, but ppl adventure with wizards all the time and never complain.

One thing you have to consider is that we are going to be as a group. There will be more than enough of a mesh of abilities (hopefully) where one person's weaknesses won't drag down the group because of what the person does bring.

I mitigated my ineptitude with punching people with the best Parry I could take. That could be looked at where my character knows the basics of "defensive" martial arts. No damage, but plenty of ways to counter and get just enough distance to where I can whip the blaster around to level someone.

I seem to have specialized in an evade/redirect schtick, which sounds like some kind of soft-style martial art. Unless the enemy has really really good defenses I'll probably be shunting them into positions that make it easy for the whole group to gun them down or pound them into paste.

Wing Chun is probably one of the best soft martial arts I know, if you're still looking for suggestions.

EDIT: Soft, in respect to the fact that most of the basic maneuvers, defenses, attacks, and not to mention 90% of what the Kata teaches you is largely counter-attack based. The style specializes in using your opponent's actions against them, repositioning yourself to take advantage of openings created while an enemy attacks, and most importantly: simultaneously striking and defending.

Stargaizer's character here. Stats have pretty much been approved, just turned in my full background. Hopefully I'll get approved soon and I'll post in the characters thread and get us one step closer to those extra 3PP!

What's this about an extra 3pp? Did I miss something?

You also have to consider that that's one particular scene where the main character gets super pissed off. The occupation of their country has reached a boiling point. He's forced to fight a room full of enemy soldiers against his will or the general they picture at one point is threatening to do terrible things to his loved ones. He understandably goes over the top there.

This is a better showcase of the Martial Art:

Archived