[Pathfinder] Tournament of Champions - dead

Stargaizer

Hello all. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to run a couple of games in the past. This one is different, I promise.

Checking interest for a Pathfinder tournament game. Storyteller guided, so somewhere between hardline ST driven and open world. What that means is that I expect to set the stage and jump in to keep things going, add random elements, and environmental factors (how your fireball effected the forest, or how the dryad reacts when your missed arrow hits her, etc.). However, I don't expect to have to jump into every round of combat unless needed. The roleplaying maturity of the people on this site should be enough to describe the combat in exquisite detail, and the simple roll + bonus vs DC should be enough to keep the descriptions in line.

What I propose:

Any race, any class, any feat, any trait, any equipment that is legal for you to take and is listed on the d20pfsrd. 20 point buy. Starting at level 8, advancing one level after each round that you win. Double elimination (winner's and loser's bracket, with the winner of each going for the grand prize). I also expect a high level of honesty, as I may or may not check every skill point spent for every character. Up to two characters per player, so long as they are played separately (and yes, that means that it would be possible for you to be the only person playing in a given round, one character verses the other. If you don't think you can handle this, only make one, or make sure one looses before it comes to that.) Animal companions will be the responsibility of the player, except in instances where I think it necessary or prudent to jump in, cohorts/followers from the Leadership feat will be built by the player but played by me.

Depending on how many players are interested and how many characters they make, this could go on up to or past epic levels, I won't cap it. I'll even leave the possibility of adding new players after the game has started... we'll see what sort of chaos that causes with the brackets at a later date.

Setting: The gods got bored of their rulings and interactions with each other and so decided to summon some of the bravest, boldest, and whoever else they thought might give them a good show to an alternate dimension and pit them against each other. Since the gods are the hosts, the battlefields are random, and the contestants won't know where they're fighting until they start. The environments change between each battle, and can even change during a battle. Some fights will be strictly PvP, others will be PvPvE or even EvEvP, or various other combinations.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

It sounds like you're distilling a PBP down to exclusively a combat scenario...the scenario that the PBP format is the least good at depicting.

I wish you luck, but I don't think raw combat is enough on its own to make a PBP that will keep interests up.

If both combatants wanted to turn their fight into an anime fight (and completely murder the fact that talking is a free action), that'd be ok. But primarily I was thinking that this would be a fun diversion with a low level of dedication needed. Basically a fun aside where you can get caught up in writing about 6 seconds in a life or death struggle, and then move on to your other games (I know everybody here is usually pretty full up).

I could probably get behind it honestly.

Especially if there was time for side scenes and the like.

I'm thinking a high fantasy version of the Tekken storyline where it's all about people of various nationalities punching each other in the head, but there is a ludicrously in depth web of interactions and intrigues between them.

Obligatory concern:

Would taking the Leadership feat result in having a small army of peeps on the battlefield at the same time as you and fighting your battle with you?

Additionally, I would strongly advise against "all races" since there are some horrifically unbalanced races, especially if there's a PvP environment. (advice: deny any races outside of Base Races, Featured Races, Uncommon Races. Also, Drow Nobles = no.)

otherwise you'll wind up with a small army of drow vampire nobles.

An aside, I believe this game has a great amount of potential.

It looks to me like an open world game of a sort with a built in way to gain levels. (Which is often times a pitfall of trying to run d20 games here)

So long as there is room enough for a larger emphasis on character development and story when it is desired and an avenue for punching and kicking when desired, then it could be amazing.

Leadership, yes, you could have multiple people fighting for your side. Besides the cohort, though, they'll be low level NPC's of your base race (no archtypes, no templates, no nothing), warrior class, basic melee NPC stats outfitted in generic arms and armor. The only thing available for a PC w/ Leadership to upgrade on the followers (not the cohort) is the arms and armor, but it must apply to all followers, and the difference in gp comes out of what the PC would use to equip themselves.

As far as character development and interaction on and off the battlefield, that's completely up to the players involved. You could have them become best of friends or bitterest enemies. You could do quests/favors for various gods amongst those watching the games (but you'd have to be finished by your next round), and thus they might aid you in some random fashion during the game. You can do whatever you want. Like I said, ST guided, not driven. I'll give a lot more freedom than the average ST for you to make your own story.

As for races, I'm going to allow everything that's not 3rd party. I will make one houserule about races. You can take up to 15rp on a race with no special actions necessary. Anything from 16rp - 30rp needs to take its' first class level as an NPC class. 31rp - 45rp needs to take its' first two class levels as NPC classes, and so on and so forth. That means that you can play a Drow just like any other character, but if you take one of the Drow nobility feats you will need to take your next two levels from an NPC class (so no nobility feats after 5th level since we'd be starting at 8th level).

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and call this one dead in the water. I've had other games pickup, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest, though I am grateful to Hyoseph for showing some.

So unless someone else wants to pick up running this or there's a surge of interest, I'll just say thanks for letting me share my idea.

Archived