[Chaos Trip Studios] Slayers of the Great Serpent

Chaos Trip Studios is proud to announce the release of the first installment of our fantasy adventure series, Slayers of the Great Serpent.

-A Tale of Terrible Danger

-A Monster From Prehistoric Times

-An Impossible Quest

“To the Ede of the Map” is the first installment of a classic fantasy adventure series called Slayers of the Great Serpent. The story begins when a messenger arrives at the royal court with a warning of apocalyptic magnitude. A terrible menace that is about to awaken; heroes are needed to cross the ocean and travel to the distant East in order to search for the lair of a gargantuan snake known as The Destroyer and The Eater of Worlds. These heroes must travel far from their homes, and try to find the country where the Great Serpent lives. Very little is known about this land, save for rumors that it lies to the east of distant Xi, a strange and romantic kingdom on the other side of the ocean. Nothing will be certain on this journey, not the final destination of our heroes, or the incredible dangers that they are sure to face. If no one can find this monster and lay it low before it rises from its torpor then the world will fall into an age of darkness and become transformed into a nightmarish hellscape of misery and death.

The majority of this adventure takes place while the adventurers are traveling; they must contend with both the everyday hazards of life on the road as well as cowardly plots initiated by an agent of the Church of the Destroyer. Before they can think about crossing the ocean, the adventurers must first find and reach the coast of their own continent. The first task they will need to accomplish is to leave the borders of The Kingdom by the Sea and then cross the dangerous Iron Ridge Mountains. On the other side of these mountains the adventurers will encounter a violent and lawless region known as The Outlaw Kingdoms. Should they make it across this land and yet live, they must still face the unknown dangers of the enchanted Forest of Night. It is here that the adventurers will brave a final showdown with the mysterious agent that has impaired their progress from the start. During the confrontation, the cultist summons a horrific Nightmare Snake, a living fragment of one of the Great Serpent’s dreams.

An adventure for Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition that takes the characters from 1st to 4th level.

Pathfinder version coming soon!

The book is available in softcover

and PDF

-David Caffee

I'm actually keenly interested in the Pathfinder version of this. I was really disappointed that the original Kickstarter campaign didn't go over as well as I'd hoped- it sounds like something I'd love to run here at home.

Well, when at first you don't succeed...

The Pathfinder version is in layout right now. It should be available for purchase in week or two, depending on how many changes/corrections need to be made.

That sounds like something I would absolutely love to run, or play. These are some of the quotes from the aforementioned review which caught my eye, because they seem incredibly well-suited to my little group:

"The party has freedom to choose their own route and most events can occur as and when you decide during their travels. Random encounters and notes on survival are also provided." ,,

"Events where role-playing or investigation might be appropriate are presented in such a way that challenges can be met through die-rolling or by playing out the encounter as preferred. There are also specific quest targets set which may be attempted or ignored... some are incidental, some will advance the core plot."

"...the adventure is excellent with a wide mix of activities to suit all types of group with inherent flexibility to enable you to delve deeper into those encounters that most interest your players and a tight plotline that yet manages to work in a 'sandbox' style giving players the feeling that they are very much in control of their own destiny."

A lot of what goes on in our adventures is off-the-cuff, even if we're working from an existing module or adventure path, so we demand a lot of flexibility (and a wealth of patience!) from the person DM'ing. I will definitely be picking up the Pathfinder version when it's available, because two of the most common gripes I hear from gamers are that either their character doesn't have much to do in the current scenario, or it just doesn't suit their playstyle and they're not really "into it." If this really does have something for everyone, coupled with the freedom to adjust encounters and circumstances easily, it sounds like the perfect fit for us.

I know Chosen's keen on getting more input from us on various games and media, so I'll be sure to put our group through its paces once I've picked it up and post my own review. :)

Archived