Nation Building [Pathfinder]

Nyrath

Well people, while denied a working internet connection (due to a small number of faults found on the line (1000+) I got my hands on the Ultimate Campaign supplement for Pathfinder. And in there I found something which hit it off with some good memories of playing Birthright years ago: rules for founding, and running, kingdoms (or basically anything from a single village to an empire). A bit of planning later, and after snagging a map-maker program as soon as I got connection again, I found myself with a bunch of the work laid down for a game, which I now would like to have a go with here.

In short any of you who are actually interested would get to go at it as rulers (or highly placed individuals if you want that instead) of fledgling, barely started in fact, colonies on a continent which more or less saw a localized apocalypse at least a couple of centuries back. Your reasons, motivations, origins and potential backers may be as varied as you can think of (and get approved by me I guess) but you'll have the chance to make your mark on the history of the world.

A few setting & character details:

- I'm not settled on any cosmology (though for simplicity's sake we could just use the core one)

- Tech level is, very late medieval/ very early modern (aka: simple guns have arrived)

- Races, I'm rather open minded here. Exact balance between characters won't be quite as important as usual after all. So pitch a concept, even something from the Bestiaries which usually wouldn't be playable if you want to do that, and I'll either lay down what I'd say it's worth, veto it outright or get negotiating.

- I'm feeling rather generous, and you are supposed to be made of the stuff legends are made off, so I'm handing you a fat 45 points for ability scores.

- Level 8 is a go.

- You get Leadership for free (provided you qualify for it, powerful races might not manage the required HD/level).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In.

More to come soonish.

Thinking either a sorceror...or...uh...well, we'll talk.

Nevermind. Sorceror it is. :)

Was going to ask if I could do a dragon, but that would take a feeeeeeeeeew more levels than that. :)

Level...I think 7+ is most appropriate if you want to jump right into nation building. Hard to imagine a level 3 character being in a position to do that, unless I suppose they were noble by birth or something. But that kind of straitjackets concepts. At 7+, any character of any background has sufficient personal power to start inspiring followers, if they choose to.

This is actually a fairly cool idea, would be willing to give it a go.,, I'd go with the 7+ idea myself, the 3+ seems more likely for a heir or a monarch who has inherited due to accident or malice then a established leader, and less likely for the leader of a colony and the 12+ seems more like a very powerful individual who has likely developed his own influence and established power in the 'old country'

Note sure of class or race yet, still thinking.

At the risk of bandwagoning, 7+ is where it's at.

Questions About Approvals:

Ultimate Race Guide? Assuming Drow Noble is off the table (if it isn't, it should be) what is actually on the table? Custom races? If so, how many RP's are we looking at?

Dreamscarred Press? -- This being Psionics Unleashed, Psionics Expanded, and the like. My first instinct when talking to DM's trying out new things is to say no but with that in mind I am a fan of Psionics (which I'm sure is a shock to everyone) and if they're on the table whether as PC's or as followers, I would like to know that going in.

Question About Arrangements

Are we going to be working in party form as is usual for a PF game or are we going to be spending most of our time working in the kingdom building rules?

Are we looking at a "confederation of states" type arrangement or is this going to be like Risk?

Where Does He Come From? Who Are His People?

These Are the things I need to know.

Well, I've made up my mind regarding race.. I'm going with Aasimar, a noble child blessed by the divine and chosen for a sacred task.. now the leader of this growing colony/kingdom (need to know a bit more)

less sure of class, leaning Cleric or Paladin(These two are most likely.. leaning to Cleric most of all).. but I may go with Oracle, Inquisitor or even possibly Sorcerer w/Celestial Bloodline (This is least likely, especially if Max is definitely going sorcerer), regardless he or she is going to be high in charisma and wisdom.

Okay, a few quick points before I start putting together larger more informative post.

Consensus seems to be a desire for round about level 7. Let's make it a nice round 8, partially for that second Ability increase.

Races: basically anything in the advanced races guide I'm fine with (yes, even the Drow Noble: but that'd be a couple of levels on ton of IC complications for you).

Psionics, I'll have to look into that but I'm not currently against it (it'll get to be pretty rare though I'd think).

Krul here.. this is my character and her background, posted with Nyrath's permission

-

Princess Caitlynn Serais, Aasimar, Neutral Good Cleric of Sarenrae, Ruler, High Priestess, her parents were both half-elven rulers in a kingdom across the sea, the nation was a mix of elves and humans (mostly) and as such the royal line often intermarried between the two races to keep the ruling bloodline a mix of both. There were other races in the kingdom, but the majority were either elves, humans or half-elves, beyond them, the next most common races were halflings and catfolk. A few generations back the queen (Teara Serais) had a ancestor who fell in love with a celestial, to the suprise of both of her parents, Caitlynn was born Assimar, but it wasn't completely unheard of, and her appearance mixes elven traits with the beauty of the celestial, her hair is almost gold and there is a sense of light about her... many of her followers believe she was divinely blessed and chosen by Sarenrae for the role she now takes up.

Caitlynn is her parents third daughter and fifth child, it was with her parents support that when, Caitlynn heard the call of Saranrae, goddess of sun, redemption, honesty and healing early in her life and her power and faith grew as she blossomed from a young girl into a woman, wise, beautiful and charismatic, when the call came to go and build a new nation in a devastated land, Caitlynn rose to the challenge, believing that she was called by her goddess to redeem and heal a broken land.. and gathered a group of couragous people from her old nation to build this new one.

Religion: While Sarenarae is the dominant faith, sense it is the princesses, and she is the High Princess, all of the good aligned gods and their temples/clerics are welcome within this nation, as are the neutral one's (generally).

Kingdom Roles: Ruler

,, ,,

Aurelie_Final_Face_shot_by_LessRuth.jpg

Kingdom Roles taken: Marshal, Spymaster - EM

Hee...well, one idea I was having was a barbarian/dragon sorceror/dragon disciple horde chief...

But! I have several ideas, so I can cede that to you if you want it.

In fact, I'll just list 'em out.

This is not me calling 'dibs,' by the way. This is so that I can narrow down my ideas to just one. Which means if someone wants something similar, say so. Then I can knock that idea off the list. :)

1) Shayuri the Barbarian Queen - Shay was a disgrace...scion of a draconic bloodline in a far off land, but a daughter and only one of her line, thus condemning it to die when she was taken as wife or consort. But she would not be taken. When she was cast out for refusing to wed (and for successfully defending herself), Shay did not succumb to the elements or wander into the wilds never to return. She survived and grew strong, and returned to wrest the chieftain's horns from his head. The clans of the tribe split...with those unwilling to follow banding together, and those willing to follow uniting under her rule. Rather than cling to the icebound lands and traditions of her ancestors, Shayuri led her people to a new land...one rich with power and plunder. Barbarian/draconic sorceror/dragon disciple.

2) Arcata Dulat - The house of Dulat was at one time powerful and influential in the Empire, enough so that it was whispered they might win the approval of the High Moot should the current Emperor produce no heir. But those who rise highest attract the most attention, and have farthest to fall. Through betrayal, Dulat did fall, and of the scattered remnants the only one who retained any claim to title was the middle daughter Arcata, who was studying in a remote cloister the ways of magic, to harness the potential inherent in her blood. A hasty Sending warned her something was amiss just in time to avoid death at the hands of an assassin...and she and what retainers she could muster fled across the sea, hopefully to where their enemies reach did not extent, to begin rebuilding in anticipation of a day of return. Straight up Arcane bloodline sorceror, with support from traits and feats for noncombat/political stuffs.

3) Talashia, Tyrant of the Wind - Talashia was born with a stroke of lightning, and some of that wildness infected her through her days. From humble beginnings, she exhibited magical abilities early, and was sent to be apprenticed under a wizard. Ten years later, she was out in the world again, but her magic was not wizardly. The fury of the storm boiled in her blood, and she had a singular goal; to draw out that elemental power and fuse with it completely...becoming immortal and inhuman. In her travels, she earned or purchased the loyalty of other individuals...inadvertantly saved a town or two...and realized that she had the beginnings of a base of power she could use to further her goals. Now Talashia has found a place far from the center of things, where she can grow quietly and without interference, and shed the coccoon of flesh that has kept her from her birthright for far too long. Air elemental sorceror.

Why couldn't you still play that? I get it...

Unless I as well was planning on making a barbarian/dragon sorcerer/dragon disciple who also is a horde chief then it really doesn't seem to make much sense why you would feel you needed to cede anything.

So I guess what it comes down to (since I can make an 8th level character no problems) is what sort of game we're looking at.

A character setup and design will be radically different between a game that is primarily adventuring with a side of building and a game that is primarily building with a side of adventuring. Still more different will be one that is just building.

I understand that the ruler positions of any given nation only have to be ruling 7 days out of the month, the question becomes what we're going to be doing the rest of the time. Story driven adventuring? Self-driven adventuring? How does xp get earned outside of kingdom building benchmarks? How are the characters themselves expected to interact beyond pointing at a dot on the map and going "That's where Coorsbar, Dwarven Prince of Frosty Brews And Mountains lives"

Azure is the descendant of an ancient blue who slumbers beneath the southern sands of the Al-Akara mountains (he's ancient now, much younger when he beget his bloodline). He is mellow, personable, and despite his lack of morality isn't a 'bad' guy. He is intelligent, wise, and revels in his power, seeing no reason to hide who or what he is. Magic is his control, the blood of dragons flows in his veins and every day he finds himself more in touch with his ancestry. Dragons are the apex of power in the world, second only to gods. When he arrived in the lawless lands of the southern deserts to see the homeland his great ancestry hailed from, he saw the opportuity to make it better, and he seized that opportunity.

Although Azure is evil, he runs his lands and his people with a very Lawful Neutral mentality. In a manner of speaking, he keeps his personal and business affairs separate. Loyalty and honor are praised, but there is very little tolerance for chaos. Crime and punishment are harsh and by some cultures, barbaric, but there is a due process. Those convicted of major crimes may delay their fate (which is usually death or worse) by serving in the military instead. This is no guarantee of freedom, depending on the crime, and ruffians and those who refuse to fall in line are usually deemed incorrigible and their sentence carried out anyway.

His people do not hail him as a god, they see him as a ruler. A powerful man who, if his people are threatened, will send down a wrath upon the offenders the likes of which no one has seen. In times of peace, he has little dealings with his people unless their actions directly affect him or the stability of his nation. For the most part, they like their ruler (thanks to a rather high charisma) and know that the kingdom follows the rule of common sense: if you don't want to be punished, you don't break the laws. He rewards good service and punishes failure.

In war, however, he is merciless. Azure tolerates no action against his nation without swift and brutal retribution. He does not take prisoners, he offers no quarter, and he expects none. This is only on the battlefield however, and he actually quite receptive to diplomacy (he's not out to rule the world, just unite his lands and his people). To invoke his wrath however, is not wise. While a captured assassin may be accountable for attempted murder, so is the man who issued the order to that assassin. If that man is in a place of authority within a kingdom then the kingdom is also accountable. Thus, by Azure's laws and customs, the assassin, the man who hired him, and the kingdom (or ruler in this case) are all accountable and guilty of attempted murder and in his eyes, punishable by death.

It's difficult being both evil and honorable, but Azure does what he can with what he has. There is no honor in killing peasants or drunken louts in bar fights, these things do not challenge a sorcerer's power so by and large he doesn't meander about committing evil for evil's sake. It's his sheer brutality and unwillingness to compromise that blackens his heart. He will raze and burn a land to ashes (leaving the civilians relatively unharmed, since it's the rulers he has beef with usually) just to prove that he is not to be taken lightly. This does not win him popularity with some of his neighbors, but few refute his power and fewer still have any desire to taste even a drop of it on their door steps.

Translation: This PC can work in any good or neutral party, providing that party displays some measure of honor (which will be hard for Neutral or Chaotic characters) and if not then you will find him rude, belligerent and insulting to you and most of your lineage. Also, he's better than you. Period. Why? Because he's handsome, rich, and... oh yeah, he can do magic. So, yeah, that's pretty cool. Also this character will not be minmaxed, he will be designed as a character, not a caricature. I don't make characters to 'win', I make them to suit the theme and background of the game.

That's about all I can say without knowing much about how Nyrath wants to do the whole city/kingdom building aspect of it, since I can generate a culture for his people until we get to that point.

I understand that the ruler positions of any given nation only have to be ruling 7 days out of the month, the question becomes what we're going to be doing the rest of the time. Story driven adventuring? Self-driven adventuring? How does xp get earned outside of kingdom building benchmarks? How are the characters themselves expected to interact beyond pointing at a dot on the map and going "That's where Coorsbar, Dwarven Prince of Frosty Brews And Mountains lives"

In order to claim new hexes of land, you have to claim a hex, clear it of monsters, and then begin settling it. I would assume the 'clear it of monsters' is the part where we're doing stuff other than ruling our nation. Monsters can be anything from raiders a bandit camp, goblins or even another village that isn't yours yet... but is about to be once you deal with the current burgomaster.

I have several ideas floating in my head for characters. I just need to figure out which one would be wise. Plus how many people going to be rulers?

An musketeer who severs an king.

An alchemist medical doctor who serves royalty.

An magus warlord.

An ninja or rouge seeking justice for an slight on his family.

An mercenary who runs an company who sells to the highest bidder.

Considering possibly revamping Astrid for this as a Barbarian Queen, since several seem to be doing esoteric magicky stuff. Downside, of course, is that the idea I got when considering it turned out to be similar to what Max has brainstormed now that I've read all the posts :P I will continue ruminating.

Nope, I'm not doing that one, so it's all yours. :)

Gonna go with my dispossessed noble-in-exile concept. Arcane bloodline sorceror with some feat/trait support in leaderly pursuits. Cohort shall be a stalwart captain of the guard.

Considering possibly revamping Astrid for this as a Barbarian Queen, since several seem to be doing esoteric magicky stuff. Downside, of course, is that the idea I got when considering it turned out to be similar to what Max has brainstormed now that I've read all the posts :P I will continue ruminating.

Don't worry. You're not the only one not doing the esoteric magic. We could be allies against the lawful! :D

Ironically, sense Caitlynn is a cleric of Sarenrae, she'll actually be able to work with Azure, she'll see him as evil but with redeeming qualities, considering his sense of honor, and the lawful nature of his land, he can be counted on to stick to treaties and diplomatic agreements, sense his kingdom is lawful.. of course, I'm not entirely sure that he will be willing to work with her, that depends on him.

Also, going to be ruler here..

I figured I'd add this for usefulness.. for folks building your kingdom, these roles are almost essential, as you take significant penalties without them and there are some actions you simply can't take without someone in these four roles (I'd say Ruler and Treasurer most of all). If they have equal status, a married pair can stand as ruler twice, filling this role in twice, unequal rank means that one is ruler and the other consort.. rulers who take the leadership feat can also add their level to the charisma bonus, the ruler also appoints folks to the other roles, I'm sure you can understand their importance.

Ruler - No Kingdom Growth at all without (Without can not claim new hexes, create Farms, build Roads, or purchase settlement districts), Unrest increase - Prime Stat: Cha

Councilor - No Holiday Benefits without, loyalty hit, unrest increase - Prime Stat: Cha or Wis

Grand Diplomat - No Diplomatic or Exploration Edicts without, Stability Hit - Prime Stat: Cha or Int

Treasurer - No Tax collecting without, Economy Hit - Prime Stat: Int or Wis

These roles are very important, without them being filled, your kingdom has some serious penalties, and with them being filled you get some serious bonuses (I'd say the Warden is the one you can bypass the most, initially, but even so, your going to want all these roles filled.. soon as possible.

General - Prime Stat: Cha or Str - Without: Loyality Hit

High Priest - Prime Stat: Cha or Wis - Without: Stability and Loyality Hit, Unrest Increase

Magister - Prime Stat: Cha or Int - Without: Economy Hit

Marshal - Prime Stat: Dex or Wis - Without: Economy HIt

Spymaster - Prime Stat: Dex or Int - Without: Economy HIt, Unrest Increase

Warden - Prime Stat: Con or Str - Without: Stability and Loyalty Hit

These roles are completely optional, you can do without them, but having them filled does help your kingdom a good bit, they add bonuses, but lack of them causes no negatives... also, the first two can stand in for your Ruler if unavailable, losing the penalties for not having a Ruler available for some reason.. the Consort and Heir doesn't provide as many bonuses, but can stand in for the ruler if necessary, including appointing others to roles... but they also have to make rolls in order to do so.

Consort - Prime Stat: Cha

Heir - Prime Sta: Cha

Royal Enforcer - Prime Stat: Dex or Strength

(Also, eventually, for an expanding empire, you may also want a Viceroy, but only if you have a colony or vassal state)

*falls over chuckling* Oh, that was good...

*giggles* "Work with"... Oh, she's devout and a commedian...

Tell ya what punkin' tits, you can work *for* Azure, like everyone else. I can't play favorites, that just wouldn't be honorable.

Nothing personal, it's just... Well... He's the best thing ever and she's just a girl... Don't blame him, blame the gods, they made her that way. :P

Followers and cohorts have rules about their attributes. They have to use the NPC arrays given.

The cohorts use Elite arrays (which are still pretty slim pickens compared to PC arrays) and followers use the normal NPC arrays.

No one gets to have any 18's in anything...though I guess high level cohorts, who put their hit dice attribute boosts, and buy a booster item, might get that high.

Actually, given the imbalance being created right out of the gate by PCs grouping together in cities to fill required roles and so forth (that gives them quite an advantage over the other fledgling kingdoms/city-states), I may do the same and bow out gracefully. It didn't register with me at first, honestly, but the more I think on it, it seems it would make more sense to have everyone be a ruler, replace or just remove the free Leadership feat for non-leaders (preventing the ruler from getting what are essentially free PC cohorts, plus any/all of their own, plus their servants' cohorts and followers), or require everyone to band together in 2-3 kingdoms. There are probably other options, as well, but I'm not running the game so I won't harp!

I think at this point the only grouping together that's still in effect is Jer and Max working for/with me. I'd be fine with any of the suggestions being made if that's going to majorly unbalance gameplay. I like the idea of having other PCs close by to interact with ICly, but not at the cost of player attrition even before the game starts.

What does everyone else think? Nyrath, what are your thoughts?

Archived