Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Gadget Guide: Guns

113715-thumb140.jpg

Gadget Guide: Guns

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6(5) pages • $1.29 • full color PDF
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
What's in it?
Guns, obviously. The first two pages are given over to brief descriptions of various types and classes of firearms and non-firearm guns (e.g. paintball guns, etc.). This information is a slight expansion on the exceedingly brief equipment section of the Hero's Handbook, but is largely light or completely lacking in game relevant information.
Ammunition and Accessories fill out the next two and a half pages. I suspect that this will get some use simply as it helps to lay down details on game effects for things like scopes, silencers, and the like. Generally though I suspect that most players would not find it difficult to puzzle out what effects or extras to use for much of these items.
An entire page is given to a weapon stat table, which is only about 50% new material and actually repeats most of the game information of the Ammunition and Accessories sections. This proves fairly disappointing, as I think one, or the other, would have been acceptable, but repeating the Handbook's gun stats and then adding line items for the prior sections' seems like an attempt to fill volume.
Two sidebars round out the Guide. The first covers making your character bulletproof via use of the Impervious extra and the Immunity effect. The second discusses Track Shots and Gun Powers. Suggesting various Advantages that are appropriate for use, as well as citing the Talent Powers Power Profile. Both of these sidebars are helpful to some degree, though mostly geared toward newer players.
Closing Thoughts
The best parts of Gadget Guide: Guns are the sidebars. Much of the remainder of the document is basic introduction level information. While I am sure that this might prove useful to some who are unfamiliar with firearms a great deal of it will be of limited or no use to many readers. The sidebars on Trick Shooting and how to make a character bullet proof are nice, but cannot redeem the Guide.
Rating: 35% - Unfortunately Gadget Guide: Guns fails to hit the mark.

So the Talent Profile power profile book is what I would want for building a Gramaton Cleric. Just a question though, is the weapon table expansive enough where you can better eyeball the difference between a Anti-Tank Rifle and a simple hunting rifle?

So the Talent Profile power profile book is what I would want for building a Gramaton Cleric.

I have no idea what that is

Just a question though, is the weapon table expansive enough where you can better eyeball the difference between a Anti-Tank Rifle and a simple hunting rifle?

You should be able to do that with what is in the Hero's Handbook.

Archived