Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - Aftermath

Mech

The three months and change since the Mexico City quake had definitely been Active ones. Humanitarian Aid poured in like never before, and while much of the city was in ruins, and work was still being done, looking now for corpses, to give the survivors closure, still great strides had been made, and A temporary settlement had been raised to house the many who did survive. What few novas who could control weather patterns were quickly employed to do so, keeping storms at bay and providing temperatures that the many workers and military personnel could function in without great inconvenience.

Of Course, the DSA's novas received the lion's share of the good press, through the efforts of Telluris, Vixen, Connor, and everyone else, Things were kept running smoothely. It was Karrie however who made a more startling discovery. Studying the tectonics, and all the readings provided by Rob, as well as a testimony provided by Connor, There was mounting evidence that something might have caused this quake. The entire region was unstable yes, but the volcanoes had been lying dormant for a long time, and the crustal plates were moving far far less than others. The Factors simply didn't add up for such a quake to have occurred. Of course Horst immediately classified the information as top secret, at least until the smoking gun could be produced. In an Emergency meeting with the President and Chief's of Staff, he did lay out the preliminary reports, receiving authorization to pursue this with the full abilty of the DSA.

Due to Japan's own well developed studies of earthquakes, the Decision was made and authorized to enlist the aid of Department Zero, adding their expertise to the DSA's. It became something altogether different, when some similarities to the Tohoku quake of March 2011 were revealed.

The DSA maintained a strong presence on site, the rubble was being cleared away of the old city, and already plans were being made to rebuild, though for many the question was "Should we rebuild over the bones of the old city once again, or Relocate somewhere more tenable. At any rate it was a massive undertaking, and both local buisnesses and American ones were on-site, drawn by the promise of work, and the lure of money. Many survivors worked side by side with the relief teams, they knew the area better, and one could feel the palpable awe and gratitude when a nova was found at the center of a workparty, or descended from the sky to assist.

,, ,,

Kei paced about in her private encampment at the Airport, or what was the airport, and would be again and hopefully soon. She had been assisting some USAF personnel in getting the runways ready for taking aircraft again, as well as assistance from the Mexican Air Force. This came, of course, after she had her fair share of dead bodies and tragedy in the recovery effort prior.

Her briefing on the earthquake discovery was... curious. Something about it boiled her blood, and she wanted a crack at whoever was responsible, if it was a Nova.

She sat down on the cot in her tent, the air conditioning on her suit doing most of the work although the air conditioner in her tent was running as well. Under Connor's orders the young agents; Rebecca, and Sean were under Kei's care. In a way while at first Kei was a harsh schoolmistress, she let up a bit, but she worried about Rebecca's apparent want to belong in the DSA, and Sean's moodyness.

While everyone else had transitioned to more rigid shelters, Kei kept the inflated tent as her residence. She liked to be able to simply pick up and move where necessary, and she felt letting the refugees use the actual temporary housing units Japan brought over was a far better living arrangement for the refugees... considering.

She looked at her watch. "Crud... breakfast time, and I gotta cook for three..." She sighed. "Looks like ramen and tortillas... again." She always knew that Sean being the growing boy he was would probably want the lion's share... this... would be interesting.

She stepped outside her tent after starting her allotted water. Shading her eyes from the morning sun. "DSA command, this is Kei Nakano, reporting in." She said over her com-link... "Mexico City International Airport is looking ready to start taking civilian aircraft tomorrow, 3 days ahead of schedule. If there is any further tasks outside of the Mexico Basecamp, I can pack up after breakfast here and head to whichever location is best. Otherwise, I'm awaiting orders."

Rebecca had been assisting with the relief efforts wherever she could. In the opening stages it was warps and organization efforts, followed by touring the camps and getting to know the youth of the growing refugee encampment. Later Kei drafter her in assisting with moving debris. Something Rebecca was quite good at with her ability to bend space to her will.

But it wasn't fun and games for the young nova. She saw blood, guts, and tragedy along the way and it only looked uglier as time progressed, but then it was just dirt, and the brown and grey ruins and desolation of a city bought to it's knees.

She wasn't aware of what the adults discovered in regards to the earthquake, all Rebecca knew, was that this was an awful, awful thing to have had happen to a city and it would take decades just to reconstruct some of the city... wherever it ends up being built.

The young nova girl had taken to wearing a black, almost victorian looking garb, her glasses giving her a readout of the area, and a comlink that she requested look like a old-style pocket-watch.

Rebecca had been affected by what she saw and for some of the people that had saw the once bubbly, happy and sometimes rebellious 13 year old Nova now saw a weary, disciplined, and sad girl.

A few of the children that saw her would occasionally say she mourned for everyone, and they should not be sad, as she watched over the city of the dead. Her pocket watch chirped as she sat on a outcropping of rubble she fashioned almost into a throne for when she had to rest. Some of the children keep away from it, feeling it was her place to sit, and watch over a city's rebirth.

"Agent Gyffyndor... do you copy?"

"Stop calling me that, Kei."

"Hey, until you're an official special agent, I can call you whatever I want, Nugget. It's breakfast time soon, so get your witch ass over here. We might be moving out today as well."

Rebecca sighed. "First... I'm Domina Tempus, second is it ramen, and third... no news on where to?"

"I don't do latin, kid, it's pretentious, yes it is ramen, and no, I know jack and shit, and jack left town, so get your butt over here so we can find out!"

Rebecca sighed. "Understood... Ma'am. Domina Tempus out."

She shook her head after closing her pocket watch. Some of the children that played in the makeshift playground Rebecca carved from the very stone through warping the space around her they played in. Something about her felt dangerous and mysterious. La bruja de las Ruinas... the witch of the ruins... they called her... she felt she was starting to gain more names than a certain Time Lord. She got up from her throne and started walking back to the Airport. It wasn't far, but she wasn't in a complete hurry.

There was a grin on Rebecca's face suddenly, knowing that Kei hated being called Ma'am...

Back at Tokyo Disaster Command

Naomi was watching her readouts, monitoring communications, and coordinating with her DSA counterparts, all the while feeling the pressure mount on a day to day basis on her body. The time was growing nearer and nearer. Soon her children would be born, and soon she would have new responsibilities.

Right now though she would give anything to have time sped up or her pregnancy hastened so she could unload her five passengers.

"Miss Hideyoshi!" One of her Medics walked in. "Time for your quarterly assessment." She said, scanning Naomi's belly as she moved over some logistical data with a hand gesture. "Right... gotta make sure the Hideyoshi 5 are in prime health, correct?"

The nurse nodded. "And they are, their heart rates are slightly elevated... I think that might be from your own stress hormones."

Noami gulped. The cat detective was also let in on the event... and kept it quiet until she knew if Ryu knew. But she knew she would have to investigate this and she was in no condition right now to do so effectively. The world was potentially at great risk... more so than any nuclear weapon if a Nova had somehow did this after all.

"I... I've been working very, very diligently, nurse. I think my young ones know that."

She adjusts the variable gel-cushions in her seat. "I'll... try to lighten my workload as the delivery date approaches."

The nurse nodded. "Something about you Novas always amazes me... Don't do anything dangerous now."

Naomi nodded as the nurse walked out. Naomi could only shake her head in frustation.

"Ryu... this is Naomi. Checking in. How is basecamp Nippon?"

Archived