z012

Azure

(relaunch)

System: Aeon Universe
Setting: Modern Earth just after the disappearance of 99.9% of the human population.

Special Note: All characters must have their own log-in with the character name and avatar.

The Set Up:
Characters will begin play just before the disappearance and play through the aftermath. All characters are normal humans, made on "baseline" Aberrant mechanics. You are allowed to play an avatar character (a version of yourself) in the game, but do note that this is a game and that conflict and setbacks are integral to compelling narratives. In other words, don't get upset when bad things happen. The character is not you. :)Characters will begin in Kansas City, Kansas; I don't care if your a resident or just passing through the international airport, just that your character is in the city at the start of game.

The disappearance will occur on April 4, 2013, a 3:04 PM.

Mechanics Notes:

While I'll be running this primarily out of the Aberrant books, I like aspects of Adventure and Trinity, so I'm allowing those as source books as well. I'll update here with any alterations or disallowances from the books as I go over things and as you guys bring me stuff that makes my head hurt :P.

• XP costs in Azure will be done as desired rating instead of current rating. I'll be giving out xp monthly and by complete threads.
  • Supernatural Merits, Flaws, Skills, and Backgrounds are not allowed at this point, if that wasn't clear. Vanilla on the stats, please. Channel, Kenning, Modulate, and Weave are supernatural skills.
  • Please note skills as Skill Rank (Total Dice Pool) for each skill. This will help me be able to glance over character sheets quickly for any rolls I may need to make for you.
  • As the characters are 'baselines', they do not start with the 3 points in Endurance and Resistance, and they also follow the baseline rules for healing.
  • Backgrounds, at least, may be taken above 5, though not at character creation. I may extend this rule to skills and attributes as well. There is no 'power stat' being used to govern such things in the game, so we'll negotiated between ST and players as situations come up. I will always have a more favorable response to requests to go above five when there is solid role-playing and story reasons to allow such, and it does still represent higher than (at least thought) humanly possible skill or potential.
  • If you have a four in an Attribute, it should be a major point about your character - say a model with Appearance 4, a lawyer with Manipulation 4, or an bodybuilder with Strength 4. A 5, and I'll likely not allow a character with more than one, represents that you are one of a handful of people in the world with that level of realized potential - a world-recognized genius at Intelligence 5, a world-renowned ballerina at Dexterity (and possibly Stamina) 5, a world-class spy with any of Wits, Perception, or Charisma at 5. I don't mind impressive characters, just make sure that the backstory and the mechanics line up and are interesting.
  • Skills work the same way as Attributes. A 4 in a skill means that you are a leading professional in the field, while a 5 means that you are one of the handful of people currently defining the field. They're allowed, but they better be well-supported by your character's backstory.
  • Public vs. Private character sheets. Character sheets in the Signature are incredibly convenient, however I do want to have a PM sheet as well, as there may be parts of your sheet you or I don't want to be public knowledge.
  • While I'm allowing people to hang onto background points at the start of game, they must be spent by or at the end of the first plot thread (the opening story).

Backgrounds in Azure:

Backgrounds in Azure will work somewhat like they do in all Aeon games, with the alterations listed below and the general rule that backgrounds that do not provide an immediate mechanical benefit (like Ally or Followers do) will provide advantages such as bonus dice or reduced difficulties in situations where the background applies. These situations are varied and subject to my discretion, so I'm not going to make a big laundry list of examples. The bolded words are the actual ones I'd like to see on character sheets. :)

• Ally/Mentor: Want to make sure someone is still around after the event? Take them as an ally. Allies do begin with the standard 1 in all attributes, but are otherwise devoid of any points on their sheet. The first dot in allies grants 100 XP to spend on the ally, and each dot thereafter grants 50 additional XP. Ally dots for a single ally may go above 5, but do not ever grant more than 50 additional XP. (This will be monitored and may be altered during gameplay, as it is a new and untested mechanic.) Allies cannot purchase their own allies or followers.
  • Attunement: Not applicable at start of game.
  • Cipher: This represents multiple identities that you have created and maintained. Each point allows you to allocate a background point for that identity. All Ciphers must be bought separately and cannot share or "stack" points of Allies, Backing, Contacts, Influence, or Followers.
  • Citizenship: Not applicable at start of game.
  • Contacts: Each dot represents contacts in a general area, such as Hackers, Politicians, or Street Gangs. Don't worry about minor/major, it never really gets played and if you're wanting an individual, Ally is more appropriate.
  • Dormancy: Not applicable at start of game.
  • Favors: Not in use, because it's just too weird.
  • Followers: This is another way to bring people along with you or to show your ability to gather people to your side during game. Followers are far more generic and less powerful than allies, but you get more actual bodies for each dot you buy. Followers are built as level 1 allies but never gain additional XP; instead, each dot grants the new rating in new Followers (so 1 at 1 dot, 2 additional at 2 dots for a total of 3, etc). Follows cannot purchase their own allies or followers.
  • Devices/Gadget: Not applicable at start of game.
  • Menagerie: This is allies for animals. A base cost will be assigned to any animal a player requests for their character and I approve. Dots above that base cost grant the animal an additional 50 XP. Animals may not possess Backgrounds.
  • Nemesis: Not in use. You want to have pissed someone off, just write it into the story.
  • Node: Not applicable at start of game.
  • Reputation: Not in player control. Characters will be assigned reputation by me as appropriate through gameplay. Requests for reputation through background may be made at character creation, but must be supported by a strong background and are not guaranteed, nor must/may points be spent on Reputation.
  • Equipment/Resources: These two are paired together because after the event this will represent not a cash flow, but a character generally having on hand what they need to trade for other items or how easily they find useful items when scavenging. Resources will function in three different ways; one, when scavenging in urban and suburban areas, this replaces the survival skill; two, when trading, every third dot reduces the target number to succeed by one; three, I may call for a Resources roll to have on hand a critical piece of equipment in a scene.
  • Sanctum: Not applicable at start of game.
  • Backing/Rank/Status: This represents things like security clearances, rank in a military, or other such circumstances that would grant access to restricted areas or encourage those in your organization to follow your lead.

Please submit characters as [Azure] Character Name to this ST account.

Blank Character Sheet
Name: 
Concept: 
Nature: 
Allegiance: 
Theme: 
HT:  cm / ' "
WT:  kg/ lbs
Hair: 
Eyes: 
STR:                   PER:                    APP:
Brawl:                 Artillery:              Disguise:
Might:                 Awareness:              Intimidation:
Throwing:              Investigation:          Style:
Navigation:
Kenning:

DEX:                   INT:                    MAN:
Archery:               Academics:              Command:
Athletics:             Analysis:               Interrogation:
Drive:                 Bureaucracy:            Seduction:
Firearms:              Computer:               Streetwise:
Gunnery:               Demolitions:            Subterfuge:
Heavy Weapons:         Engineering:
Legerdemain:           Intrusion:
Martial Arts:          Gambling:
Melee:                 Linguistics:
Pilot:                 Medicine:
Ride:                  Science:
Stealth:               Survival:
Tradeskill:

STA:                   WIT:                    CHA:
Channel:               Arts:                   Animal Training:
Endurance:             Biz:                    Carousing:
Resistance:            Mediation:              Command:
Modulate:              Etiquette:
Shadowing:             Instruction:
Tactics:               Perform:
                       Rapport:
                       Savvy:
                       Weave:

Backgrounds
Ally:
Cipher: 
Citizenship: 
Contacts: 
Dormancy: 
Followers: 
Gadget: 
Menagerie: 
Node:   
Sanctum: 

Willpower: 
Initiative: 

Merits & Flaws

Known Languages
Native:  
Others: 

Movements
Walk: m, Run: m, Sprint: m

Soaks
Base Soak: 

Healing Rate: 

Health Levels: 
Unhurt
Bruised
Hurt
Injured
Wounded
Maimed
Crippled
Incapacitated
Dead  
,, ,,

Misc:

I'm not starting the game for a couple of weeks, in part because Jasmyne is very excited about playing in the game and just went on vacation, so I'm giving her time to get back and get her character together. Having character ties before the Event is mildly encouraged, though not required.

I'm looking for between 5 and 8 characters, ideally. I won't run the game with less than five, but I am fine with going over eight, I might just split the players into two groups at that point.

My caveat/warning, just to be fair: I am bipolar. I'm doing better and I seem to have found a stable combination of meds, but I may hit patches where I'm not posting much. I'll try to give heads-up if I'm head into a depressive swing, but part of the reason of switching around the formatting is so that if/when I do have down swings, you all still have interactions with each other that you can pursue and aren't left waiting on a gaggle of NPCs that are the only people your PC has to interact with.

,, ,, ,,

Please let me know if you're interested and any questions or concerns you have from the proposal. Thanks!

I may be inclined to revamp Krystal for this, if there is room for her. She's been a more or less normal person in two other campaigns (or is it three?), which all unfortunately didn't go as far as I would have liked, for various reasons.

Also have a vague idea for a (gasp) male PI.

I'll throw my hat in.

Ex-cop/Military guy with an awesome dog.

Adam is a MacGuyver type, but not an engineer. He's the sort of guy who makes house hold survival items and nicknack inventions. Nothing permanent and nothing that is very techy. Like making glow sticks out of house hold items or one off flashbangs or smoke bombs from something you might find under the sink. He's the sort of 'in the moment' inventor who uses his surroundings as a weapon. He'd defer to an actual engineer if something actually needed building. He's very smart though and could certainly compliment an engineer character.

...and William and I can be identical twin brothers, separated at birth...

Eerie. Adam does sound similar to William. I'll hash out what I've got here so we can collaborate and not step on each other's toes, Dave.

Well, William's ex-military, as I discussed with Mala. Joined the Royal Marine Commandos as a teen out of London's East End two steps ahead of the Old Bill, then some time in the Special Boat Service before demobbing and drifting into shady dealing. Before his military service, he used to flog stolen watches and car stereos on street corners. Now he travels around arranging the sale of illegal munitions and weapons for rich and powerful people, occasionally hiring himself out as a 'consultant' (read: mercenary cadre). He's doing that less these days - he'd rather not spend any more time getting paid to get shot at over causes he doesn't give a toss about. He got enough of that in the service.

Skills wise, he's an ex-commando. He knows guns, hand-to-hand, small unit tactics and basic demolitions, along with survival and evasion, SCUBA, parachuting, and small boat skills. He's in his mid-to-late thirties, but still in good shape and keeps current. He's streetwise, disarmingly charming, and plays down his military background if anyone calls him on it. He's smart, which is why the SBS took him: they don't take dumbasses. He's not exactly a MacGuyver type, but he knows his way around hotwiring a car or spoofing an alarm, for instance.

Heh, cool with me. Hell or even bros who haven't talked for years because of some falling out in high school or something (Will stole Adam's prom date and love of his life :P). Petty comic relief kinda stuff. :)

Or maybe, to add a surreal touch, they are just physically identical men with similar lifepaths, who meet after almost everyone else disappears. What does it mean? Anything? These guys are practically twins, but maybe there's compelling reasons they can't be. But then why all the similarities? And is it significant that they're meeting now? Are they even who they think they are?

*LOST hissy noise and fade*

Krystal has mostly the same background as she had in previous games. A Las Vegas native, she draws and writes graphic novels. This time, gonna add a few years. She's gotten her art degree, and is actually making a career now with her graphic novels and additional commercial artwork - has even done some concept artwork for video games and movies. It starting to work on a computer/digital graphics degree and just bought a house, in Kansas City.

Also, being very self-reliant, she's a bit of a minor handy-man. By no means an inventor or MacGuyver, but she can put up drywall, change a toilet, fix minor car troubles, and the like.

She may or may not have a significant other. Was thinking of keeping Ian around (until most people disappear anyway) from the Glimpses of Darkness game, if Carver didn't mind, or am willing to change it to another PC, if someone is willing.

By the way, Krystal also has an awesome dog, which she has had in all her previous iterations.

Adventure, Aberrant and Trinity all use different character sheets and skills. As well as rules, like Trinity's fighting styles.

I know you said 'baseline' aberrant, so we use those rules from the aberrant book to make out character, but could I, for example, use the Trinity method for my character sheet (where the skills are aligned to make more sense)?

Also, I don't have Adventure! books, any of them, so I'll need some help with menagerie. Adam doesn't have an army of animals, just one awesome dog.

I'm fine with that, Rev, as well as the use of skills from Adventure and Trinity. When it's not 3:30 in the morning and I'm waking up because sleep hates me, I'll get a comprehensive skill list up. I don't mind seeing some skills that are listed under different Attributes having the option of which one you want to peg it under, just that you make the choice and stick with it.

Want to use Command under Manipulation instead of Charisma, go for it, but then your decision is made. If you want a Charisma-based Command skill later, you'll need to buy it up (which I doubt will ever happen, I'm just saying pick the combo you want from what's offered across the three systems and stick to it). :D

And mostly I said Aberrant because it's the one I'm most familiar with. ;) I'm looking to use all three books, see how it works, and hopefully have some giggles along the way. I'll look up dog stats for both you and Asa and post up some options with Menagerie costs, again after either some caffeine or some times has gone by.

Wolf Statistics from the Adventure Book:

Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3
Abilities: Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Brawl 2, Stealth 3
Willpower: 5
Health Levels: OK, -1, -1, -2, -2, -4, lncapacitated
Attack: Bite: 4 L; Claw: 2 L
Here's what I'm going to say for a 1 point Menagerie basic Dog: (Assume any attribute not listed is at a 1.)
Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
Abilities: Athletics 3 (6), Awareness 3 (4), Brawl 2 (6), Stealth 2 (5) - () is the total die pool, just for ease of reference.
Willpower: 3
Health Levels: OK, -1, -1, -2, -2, -4, lncapacitated
Attack: Bite: 4 L; Claw: 2 L
As with Allies, I'll allow dots of Menagerie bought above the base price for an animal to add 50 XP. I'm keeping them separate backgrounds mainly because of the variation of animals and how the "base" cost for an animal can vary.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this has come up with people talking to me about characters. I do not want everyone clustering at the airport. If your character has a good, compelling reason to be there, fine, but don't dump them there simply because you-the-player know that other PCs will be there. I'd like to see at least a few PCs that actually live in KC to be in the game, and not have them all at the airport on thin pretenses.

I've been struggling to get started on Mina. I either start taking a paranoid load out on skills, or I have a character that outside of her skills she would have in her profession before the disaster has nothing to her. At all. That and I am starting to get into a mindset that I should, at least for now, just reduce my character load here on the site to a small grouping instead of trying to join every game I see that looks even remotely interesting for a day or two.

I don't think I could keep interest in a game like this as I am already dealing with a pretty grim game in Magisterium, and if I am scared for my character OOC, that already is entering a pretty unhealthy mindset for this game in general. I'm not going to subject people here to issues that seem to crop up with me in a game when this happens.

I'm passing on this.

Okay, I have three complete character sheets:

Jer (Mathis)

Asa (Krystal)

Carver (Tejah)

Max (Lillian)

Vivi (Helena)

Jas (Kylie)

Dave (Adam)

Characters in the works:

And several people that have said they want to play but haven't yet submitted a character:

Peter (William)

If everyone is still interested, this gives me 8 players, which is pretty much perfect for what I'd like for the game. If everyone who doesn't have a finished character could PM me or talk to me in chat over the next week, I'd appreciate that. Thanks!

Update on rules, also added to the first post:

,, ,,
  • While I'm allowing people to hang onto background points at the start of game, they must be spent by or at the end of the first plot thread (the opening story).

Archived