Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave ST

Character Database Idea

22 posts in this topic

I ran this idea past a few people in chat so I thought I'd put it up here for everyone to put in their two cents.

We all play, on average, what? Three, maybe four different role playing games? Some of us to TT some of us are strictly PBP. Something I'm sure all of have in common is several folders for the games we've either ran, or are running, that are filled with something that isn't getting used enough:

NPCs.

Seriously, how may do you have? I have over 40 for Aberrant and they're sitting in a perfectly clean black binder in individual sleeves on fully printed stats blocks with full color photos. They're even separated by 'villains, independents, and heroes' tags so I can just tab to that section. D&D? Yeah, swimming in those. Pathfinder too. Scion? I have a few, and World of Darkness? Holy Christ do I have WoD NPCs... Sometimes, I make NPCs out of boredom, and they just sit on my HD forever.

But they aren't doing me any good just sitting in a folder not getting used. So, here's the sales pitch: would it be possible for us to get a Data Base going where we could post these things up for other STs and players to use? Would people use this tool? Would people contribute? Is it even a decent idea?

Well, for those of us that are sufferers of CCCD (Compulsive Character Creation Disorder) this would be an outlet. I approve, actually!

• Might be cool to have more than one category. Locations as well, perhaps?

I like the general cut of this idea... and I would definitely contribute. The one thing I currently see as something to consider is that obviously, a lot of the PCs and NPCs on this site are in use, reuse, etc. Even should their player/creators be more than willing to put them up for use, we probably have been very used to said player's viewpoint, spin, cause it was their thing.

So - possibly stupid question: We would be using newly (and the characters people have crafted but not revealed to the masses - like you have coming out of your drawers Dave) PCs and NPCs for this database, right?

And how are we going to categorize and sort? By game, genre, location...?

I like the general cut of this idea... and I would definitely contribute. The one thing I currently see as something to consider is that obviously, a lot of the PCs and NPCs on this site are in use, reuse, etc. Even should their player/creators be more than willing to put them up for use, we probably have been very used to said player's viewpoint, spin, cause it was their thing.

So - possibly stupid question: We would be using newly (and the characters people have crafted but not revealed to the masses - like you have coming out of your drawers Dave) PCs and NPCs for this database, right?

And how are we going to categorize and sort? By game, genre, location...?

Well, if this is something everyone cosigns and Chosen is okay with the idea we can hash out the organization of it later. I would assume the same way we have the site set up now, broken down into particular genres with one forum dedicated to us discussing the stuff.

For example: White Wolf Publishing - World of Darkness, Exalted, Scion, Aberrant, Adventure, Trinity. d20 Games - Modern, D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, etc...

As for content, shit, I don't care what you post there. If you wanna post a character that you're actually playing on the forums up as an NPC to use for future GMs and STs to swipe for their game, go for it bro. Me, personally, I'll post NPCs nine times out of ten. Why? Because they're made differently than PCs. NPCs are made to fit into a story, be it as a one shot interaction or a reoccurring villain, they tend to have a simplicity about them that allows them to be made use of with minimal explanation (e.g. you don't have to have a 400 page bio for them).

Well, I'd be contributing new stuff, myself, but I just wanted to clarify as to get my brain in order. :)

I'd be fine with this so long as no one got bent out of shape if one of their NPCs got used, but had their personality/name/whatever, changed to fit the story. After all, I wouldn't want it to be like the D&D monster manual where the players see a critter and instantly assume they know everything about that npc. I like changing things up to keep players from making those assumptions.

I would assume if this happened that there would be a disclaimer that, while technically it is your intellectual property, posting it in the data base makes it 'fair game' for anyone to change, edit, or rename.

After all, the point of it is to share so it can be used.

Do we really need to break it into several catagories? That's what tags are for. No need to make tons of folders.

The new character database is in alpha stage currently. The link is in the main menu. Aberrant is the only game currently set up. I'm going to wait until I get feedback on how to improve this and then have a few rounds of revisions before moving on to other games.

So we can't post let's say M&M characters to it just yet... Oh well, might brew anyways for Aberrant perhaps.

The goal is to be able to use it for any system we play here on Post. Before we set our sights that high we have to test it with some basic features and get feedback.

Right. I'll whip up a thing or two and test pilot this bad-boy.

I'm not sure is much use this will get. If it had a fair amount of traffic I think it makes sense to provide specific content for game systems. If it doesn't get much use I think it should probably be more generic so that any characters from an game can be used.

I think we're just waiting for M&M and a couple other systems maybe... Aberrant is getting a bit ragged.

I have a M&M version in there now for people to start beta testing.

:D Soon... Although I dunno if I wanna start giving intel to my enem... I mean players... Oh well. Gotta test this bad boy.

I set this up previously, but it had minimal activity and ended up being shelved.  Does an online character database still appeal to anyone?

I'm not the most active, but I don't see the need with 100's if not 1,000's of npcs a google search away.