Mutants & Masterminds:[M&M3e] Superhero Open World Proposal

Aphrodite Pandemos

Less than a month ago a meteor exploded over Russia. It left it's mark in more ways than one. It introduced an unexplained particle into the ecosystem. Every living thing was bathed in it. Humans, plants, animals. It seemed to raise the life force level of this world tenfold. Everything just FELT better. Some people felt more than just better, they started getting powers. While not everyone was a flying laser beam shooting saviour-of-the-day, it was very noticeable who got it. Feats of the superheroic are being seen daily. Though with superheroes comes the other side of the coin. Some people with powers gave into their baser instincts. Though there are good people to stop the bad people. You are these good people.

Now I'm not saying you have to be Captain Does-Only-Good, but I'm excluding the villain type for a reason. PvP battles. Those things take forever and introduce an arms race among players.

As for the tone of the world, you can be a shining paragon or a straight up antihero. Just. No. Villains.

So, what numbers do you have? Baseline humans in this setting are PL6 90pp (remember when I said everyone got life forced?). The heroes of the setting are that minimum and can be up to 180 points and PL12 at max.

Any questions? Any interest?

First question is, is this all genetic mutation/super-science from the particle, or are other types of heroes - magical, technological, etc - allowed?

Secondly, perhaps it's a good idea to set it at a significant remove from the first days of the superheroes - say, a year or two? Or did you want us all to go through the initial first steps?

Another question. Why not make all the players the same Power Level? The disparity of power between even a couple of Power Levels can be quite dramatic.

On another note, you might want to reword the part about the PL 6 normal humans. In the core book, supporting cast ranges from PL 0 (Bystanders) to PL 5 (SWAT Officers and Soldiers). Just something to be aware of...

On another note, you might want to reword the part about the PL 6 normal humans. In the core book, supporting cast ranges from PL 0 (Bystanders) to PL 5 (SWAT Officers and Soldiers). Just something to be aware of...

I think that's intentional to show that humanity as a whole is uplifted by the God-Rock.

First question is, is this all genetic mutation/super-science from the particle, or are other types of heroes - magical, technological, etc - allowed?

Secondly, perhaps it's a good idea to set it at a significant remove from the first days of the superheroes - say, a year or two? Or did you want us all to go through the initial first steps?

I would not be opposed to setting it in the near future. Two years later is 2015. Hoverboards :D

The particles work in mysterious ways. Think of it like X-Men. Some mutants have magical and psionic powers... because of their genes.

,, ,,

Another question. Why not make all the players the same Power Level? The disparity of power between even a couple of Power Levels can be quite dramatic.

Yeah, I'm trying to simulate a world where Superman and Green Lantern, who fight space deities as a weekend activity, can be in the same world with Spider-Man and Daredevil, who bust alley thugs.

I will drop the "normal human" to PL4 then. 0 to 4 seems a good jump anyway. Players still are PL6 to PL12, 90 points to 180 points.

,, ,,

I think that's intentional to show that humanity as a whole is uplifted by the God-Rock.

Basically that.

,, ,,

So ... it's Aberrant with a meteor instead of a space station, and nobody is allowed to be a bad guy?

Sorry, I've never read any Aberrant setting material :(

Perhaps Instead of enforcing a certain PL on baseline humans, why not just say everyone must take at least a 2 in Stamina to signify the life-enhancement of the rock, and use the templates in the core book as provided?. This means that everyone would have at least a Toughness and Fortitude of 2 and at the same time making them PL 1 defensively at minimum.

I still think to keep all PC's on "level" playing field, everyone should have the same number of power points to start with. why not give everyone say 120 to 150 points to start with (I'd suggest 150), and say the maximum Power Level a PC can be is 12. That way, those people who want to play "lower powered" or "street level" characters can build to the PL they want and either save any extra PP for development or use it for diversity in their concept, like gadget/equipment buying, and those going for the upper echelons of power have to focus their build on getting there.

I am just wondering if there is any more information on this campaign coming down the pipe here. I'm interested as well, and the time is helping me come up with a character, I just think alot of what was discussed in chat hasn't made it here to the thread. Just hoping Mistress comes back soon with some goodies to help keep this momentum up.

I'm still sold on the idea, I just think we need to get a update.

Archived