Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - The Conversion to Aberrant

Dawn OOC

Sooooo… we’re converting to Aberrant. This thread will first list the house rules that we’ll be using in this version of the game.
I think this is all: please ask questions down-thread.
Sources Allowed
All Core Books
Individual powers will be considered from fan-material
Custom-created powers will be submitted for public discussion in the Custom Powers thread
Character creation
Standard creation for the human portion
15 bonus points that must be spent on non-nova things
Additional 15 bonus points to be spent on anything
30 NP
Quantum 5 max to start
Mega-Atties are capped at 3 for now
Convert all experience from the Scion version to the Abby version
Deviations from the Norm
Attributes
Improved Attributes – these are in play and can be bought with NP or xp. I will not allow rampant purchases above five; these are meant to be used when you want to be above average but not mega-levels of great.
Abilities
We are using the full gamut of secondary skills from the Player’s Guide.
Science – Please buy a skill for each major discipline; for example, you can buy Science (Biology) and it will cover biochemistry, zoology, botany, genetics, etc.
Mega-Attributes
These are capped at 3 to start. There’s no need to take it all the way to eleven out the gate.
Enhancements
I will allow enhancements that do not require rolls involving mega-dice to be bought without the mega die. The base attribute must be at least a 5, and they cost the same as buying an extra enhancement.
Powers
Cyberkinesis – This is not a house rule but a warning: please don’t take this power and assume you’ll be able to just pwn the Lantan computer. You will have extreme difficulties because the computer is so vast and foreign. I wanted to be up front about that before people drop NP on it.
Pretercognition – not a PC power.
Gadgets/Devices
Devices – built by calculating the cost of each power on the device, then subtracting 1 NP or 3 xp.
Ex. Laser sword-gun – Quantum Bolt 3, Claws 3. Q-bolt is 3+3+3-1 for 8 NP plus claws 1+1+1-1 for 2 NP for a total of 10 NP.
Merits and Flaws
Iron Will is not allowed.
Backgrounds
Adversarial Backgrounds are allowed.

Node can be seen as an analogy to ATA Gene. Node does not grant taint in this game.

Taint is real, as are aberrations. There will be a pseudo-science explanation for these at some point in the game.

Willpower
Willpower can go above 10 after the character creation phase. If you want to pay for more Willpower, go for it. Just don’t go too crazy; I probably won’t allow it to go beyond 13. This rule might be revoked later if it causes problems. If so, you’ll get back all the points you put into it.
Strengths/Weakness
Not allowed.
Notes
Please don’t try to convert super-exactly. Scion is not Abby, and though they are kissing cousins, they are still not that much alike. I will not get upset if your god-like zuper power doesn’t have an equivalent in Abby. I will not be upset if it breaks continuity; we’re adults, we know shit happens. If there is something that you must have that does not exist in Aberrant, we can craft something.

They are not.

I forgot gadgets. This will be added to the list above.

Devices – built by calculating the cost of each power on the device, then subtracting 1 NP or 3 xp.

Ex. Laser sword-gun – Quantum Bolt 3, Claws 3. Q-bolt is 3+3+3-1 for 8 NP plus claws 1+1+1-1 for 2 NP for a total of 10 NP.

Is the Adaptation Enhancement allowed, or would you prefer breaking it down in separate pieces, which is perfectly acceptable to me?

Here's a suggestion on how to break it down:

Tireless Enhancement (A:PG) - In addition to the endurance bonus, Nova no longer requires sleep (the enhancement is a pretty minor one without the addition), to simulate no longer requiring sleep.

Health Enhancement (A:PG) - To simulate the resistance to diseases, poisons, and drugs.

Unaging Enhancment (TNF) - To simulate the increased or infinite lifespan.

Invulnerability: Temperature Extremes - To simulate resistance to hostile environments. Could be made as an enhancement as well, I suppose, granting an extra success or two per dot of M-Stamina versus temperature extremes/hostile environments. Being Space Worth, if one wants that, can be a Body Mod (which I think is written down somewhere).

Two new Enhancements, one that increases or eliminates the need to breath, one that increases the length of time the nova can go without food and water (both of which also help simulate aspects of Epic Stamina from Scion as well).

Please don't quiver when I ask this, but: Is the Forcefield requirement for Quantum Construct being enforced? I mean, seriously, do I really need a forcefield/summoning circle in order to make ice sculptures?

There doesn't seem to be a manner in which I can recreate Evana from a Scion into an aberrated mutant that doesn't suck.

Please don't quiver when I ask this, but: Is the Forcefield requirement for Quantum Construct being enforced? I mean, seriously, do I really need a forcefield/summoning circle in order to make ice sculptures?

There doesn't seem to be a manner in which I can recreate Evana from a Scion into an aberrated mutant that doesn't suck.

Forcefield required always seemed silly to me... anyway, want help?

Nothing really to help with, honestly. Scion plays way different than aberrant. To have a 'Cold' using character in Scion is to simply buy the dots in the Frost Purview. Same with Illusion and there is no parallel to Chaos (Entropy is not Chaos).

In Scion you're given a certain number of free Epic Atts to purchase with Boons, more than enough, honestly, but those same Epic Atts cost way to much to buy with NP.

To be immune to cold (the first dot in the Purview) I have to buy Invulnerability because Adaptability gives way too much.

To manipulate ice and snow she needs to have Elemental Mastery (Anima would work, but how often are we on frigid snow covered worlds for he to ply her power). This requires Quantum 5 and frankly I don't really want Quantum 5 since that 10 of my NPs right there after I spent 14 of my Freebies. I could separate it into different, lower Quantum Minimum powers, but that would cost too much over time when a single suite will suffice.

Illusion requires I take Holo and Mirage, both logical choices, but Holo is about as useless as a power gets. At Level 3 I can affect two senses? Seriously? Just two? Fat cracklin' cosmic power of the Gods and the most I can ever affect with this power is two senses at a time? It makes making 'real' illusions impossible and no, I don't mean the kind of 'real' that kills people, I mean a semi-physical phantasm that'll pass for real until the person finally realizes they've been tricked. Like a piece of paper (touch and sight) that the person picks up (because inevitably they will pick it up to read it) and BAM, the illusion fails because 'sound' couldn't be added and we all know, paper crinkles and makes noises when you pick it up. Hell, even an illusion of herself to will fail, because they can see her, and hear her, but it;ll crumble the moment she shakes someone's hand. Mirage is useful, aside from needing a phenomenal roll to convince the person of anything, it at least allows you all 5 senses at once... but only against a single person. It makes trickery incredibly difficult.

I'll figure something out.

This doesn't make me quiver. In fact, it makes sense to me that we can unhook these requirements. I can get where they're coming from, but if that's the case, then there should be other powers that require prereqs. It's like they had this great idea, did it once and then got drunk and forgot they'd done it until way too late.

This is what I managed to come up with.

Birth Name: Evana
Alias: Evana
Nature: Perfectionist
Eruption:
Allegiance:

Physical: Strength ●●●, Dexterity ●●●, Stamina ●●●
Mega-Physical: Strength ●, Dexterity ●, Stamina ●
Enhancements: Strength (Quantum Leap), Dexterity (Perfect Balance), Stamina (Resiliency)
Athletics ●●, Endurance ●●●, Firearms ●●●, Martial Arts ●●, Melee ●●●, Resistance ●●●, Stealth ●

Mental: Perception ●●●, Intelligence ●●, Wits ●●●
Mega-Mental: None
Enhancements: None
Academics ●●, Awareness ●●, Investigation ●, Rapport (Discern Truth) ●●●, Science (Psychology) ●●●

Social: Appearance (Alluring) ●●●●●, Charisma (Eloquent) ●●●●, Manipulation (Persuasive) ●●●●
Mega-Social: Appearance ●●●, Charisma ●, Manipulation ●
Enhancements: Appearance (Awe-Inspiring), Charisma (Seductive), Manipulation (Persuader)
Command ●, Diplomacy ●, Etiquette ●, Seduction ●●

Merits: Sexy (1pt), Natural Leader (1pt)
Flaws: *Costume Fetish (Thematic), Vengeful (2pts)
*Evana is always out of uniform. Her leather outfits and stripper heels are not regulation. As a thematic flaw she prefers her leather and heels (although not exclusively) but doesn’t catch any flack for it from the brass.

Backgrounds: Backing ●●●, Reputation ●●●, Resources ●●●

Powers:

Atlantian Frost Maiden
Elemental Mastery (Ice/Cold)
Level 3
Techniques: Shield
Effect: This power is the core of what abilities her genome has blessed her with. Evana may create ice and snow from nothing, literally shaping it to her whims to create all manner of effects from walls of ice to lethal blasts of ice shards or flash freeze effects that can imprison a subject for short periods.

The Spirit of Jack Frost
Quantum Construct (Ice/Cold)
Level 3
Dice Pool: Manipulation + Quantum Construct
Range: 6 Meters
Duration: Maintenance (6 turns)
Effect: Taking her mastery over the cold one step further, Evana shapes a form from ice and snow and then imbues it with a fraction of her soul. Whatever form the creature takes it is usually made of solid ice with highlights of snow or rime to accent its features, so a wolf would appear with a solid body of ice with snow and rime accenting it’s natural fur or a horse would have a solid ice frame but a mane and tail of wind swept snow. A nimbus of cold that makes it appear to be engulfed by icy-blue fire always surrounds the creature, regardless of form. Their eyes always brightly glow and icy-blue.

Frost Immunity
Invulnerability (Ice/Cold)
Level 2
Effect: Evana is immune to all but the most extreme conditions of cold. Cold weather conditions don’t seem to bother her and she can walk unscathed through all but the most torrential blizzard or sub zero climates without the proper protection. Physical manifestations of cold, like ice and snow, seem to be repelled by her body, preferring to move around her instead of touching her, similar to magnets avoiding each other.

Willpower: ●●●●● ●
Quantum: ●●●●●
Quantum Pool: 30
Taint:
Aberrations: Icy-blue hair and eyes. (Makes hiding her Atlantian nature almost impossible)
Health Levels: Standard

Summoning Primer for Quantum Construct

Frost Wolf (4 successes) (One success with 3 successes spent on 15 Nova points)
Physical: Strength ●●●●, Dexterity ●●●, Stamina ●●●●
Abilities: Brawl ●●●, Athletics ●●●
Powers: Claws (Reduced Quantum Cost) ●, Immolate (Cold) ●
Traits: Quantum ●●, Quantum Pool: 24
Health Levels: 0 x1, -1 x1, -3 x4, -4 x1, Inc
Soak: 4B / 2L
This is a standard sized wolf made of ice and snow. For a pack, each success beyond 4 doubles the summoned amount (5 successes is 2 wolves, 6 successes is 4 wolves, 7 successes is eight wolves, etc…)

Dire Wolf (6 succeses) (One successes with 5 successes spent on 25 nova points)
Physical: Strength ●●●●● ●, Dexterity ●●●, Stamina ●●●●●
Abilities: Brawl ●●●, Athletics ●●●
Powers: Claws (Reduced Quantum Cost) ●●, Immolate (Cold) ●●
Traits: Quantum ●●, Quantum Pool: 30
Health Levels: 0 x1, -1 x1, -3 x6, -4 x1, Inc
Soak: 5B / 2L
About the size of a horse, the Dire Wolf is a powerful summons. Only one may be summoned at a time but for every success above six the wolf either gains a single dot in Claws or Immolate and an additional four –2 health levels (its attributes are about maxed for it’s size, logically). Alternatively it may gain a breath weapon, a cone of intense cold and shards of ice (Quantum Bolt (cold) with the Spray/Jet Extra on it) or ‘armor up’ with a super heavy coat with jagged spikes of ice (Armor with the Super Heavy Extra). Both these options cost 5 Nova Points per dot or one success (keeping the book keeping down to a minimum).

Due to it’s power, summoning the Dire Wolf costs Evana 8 quantum points (regardless of successes). Maintenance once the beast is summoned is unaffected (3 QP)

Frost Giant (10 successes) (4 Successes with 6 successes spent on 30 nova points)
Physical: Strength ●●●●● ●, Dexterity ●●●, Stamina ●●●●● ●●
Mega- Attributes: Strength ●, Mega Stamina ●
Enhancements: Strength (Shockwave), Stamina (Resiliency x2)
Abilities: Brawl ●●●●, Athletics ●●●, Melee ●●●●, Awareness ●
Powers: Armor ●●, Immolate (Cold) ●●
Traits: Quantum ●●, Quantum Pool: 24
Health Levels: 0 x1, -1 x10, -3 x6, -4 x1, Inc
Soak: 23B / 15L
Weapon: Fists (Accuracy 10, Dmg [5] + 6B)
The ice giant is huge at nearly eighteen feet in height. He arrives from the mists of the cold looking like Evana’s perfect mental image of a man (tall, chiseled, silent and subservient). His body is solid ice and smooth to the touch yet unnaturally resilient to chipping and damage. His hair is long and nothing more that snow that seems to move in the wind and fall over his shoulders like real hair should. He stomps his foot and shakes the earth in combat or scoops up enemies and holds them (grappled) in his bone chilling super natural aura of cold. Each additional success beyond 10 adds either 1 to Mega-Strength and 4 additional -3 health levels or 1 to Armor and 4 additional -3 health levels. (Note the dice penalty negated by Mega-Stamina 1 has not been incorporated in the stats above to prevent confusion)

Summoning the giant is taxing. Only one may be summoned at a time, regardless of successes, and the cost is more than a mere 3 quantum points. Summoning the Frost Giant costs 1 willpower point and 10 quantum points (to reflect his increased stats and level of power). Maintenance once the giant is summoned is unaffected (3 QP), the increased cost to summon helps to decrease the amount of time she can keep its destructive presence around.

Putting up my final draft as well here... for review.

Birth Name: Curtis Shane
Nature: Analyst
Allegiance: Stargate Project

Physical: Strength ●●, Dexterity ●●●, Stamina ●●●
Mega-Physical: None

Athletics ●●, Drive ●, Endurance ●●●, Firearms ●●●, Martial Arts ●●, Pilot ●, Resistance ●●●, Stealth ●●

Mental: Perception ●●●● (Observant), Intelligence ●●●●● ●● (Bright), Wits ●●●● (Creative)
Mega-Mental: Intelligence 3, Perception 1, Wits 1
Enhancements: Analyze Weakness, Computer Prodigy, Eidetic Memory, Electromagnetic Vision, Engineering Prodigy, Hypercognition, Hyper-Enhanced Hearing, Mathematical Savant, Multitasking, Scientific Prodigy, Speed Reading

Academics ●●●, Artillery ●●, Awareness ●●●, Computer ●●●●, Demolition ●●, Engineering ●●●●, Gambling ●, Investigation ●●, Rapport ●●, Science (Material Sciences) ●●●●, Survival ●

Social: Appearance ●●, Charisma ●●, Manipulation ●●
Mega-Social: None

Instruction ●●, Subterfuge ●

Merits: None
Flaws: None

Backgrounds: Backing ●, Gadget (Trusty Laptop augmented with Ancient Tech) ●●, Resources ●, Node ●●●

Powers:

Triton-Weave Protective Wear ●●
Device - Armor
Level 2
Effect: Not empowered by his genome the way others in the Stargate Project have been, Curtis Shane instead has resorted to fruits of his enhanced intelligence and labor. One example, is a set of clothing relying on newly developed composites of incredibly light yet resilient fibers - which Staff Sergeant Shane has nicknamed Triton-Weave in reference to the mythological son of Poseidon.

Apollo Laser Pistol ●●●
Device - Quantum Bolt (Lethal)

Dice Pool: Dexterity + Firearms
Range: 75 meters
Duration: Instant
Level 2
Effect: Likewise, for offense, Curtis has a prototype laser pistol with a high yield of firepower, nicknamed the Apollo Laser Pistol in the same mythological vein, as that Greek god was known for among other things, the slaying of monsters. Each shot is an extreme blast that can end a man.

Willpower: ●●●●● ●●
Quantum: ●●●
Quantum Pool: 32
Taint: None
Aberrations: None
Health Levels: Standard

Movement: Walk 7m, Run 15m, Sprint 29m

Initiative: +8

LOGS

Bonus Points Log
Willpower 4->6: 6

Drive 1: 2

Quantum 2: 7

Perception 2->4: 15

NP Log
18 Ability dots: 3
Quantum 3: 5
M-Intelligence 1->3: 9
M-Wits 1: 3

M-Perception 1: 3

3 Attribute dots: 1

Device - Armor 2: 5

1 Willpower dot: 1

XP Log

Balance: 22 XP

Starting XP: 98 XP

Mathematical Savant Enhancement: -5

Computer Prodigy Enhancement: -5

Engineering Prodigy Enhancement: -5

Scientific Prodigy Enhancement: -5

Speed Reading Enhancement: -5

Analyze Weakness Enhancement: -5

Multitasking Enhancement: -5

Hyper-Enhanced Hearing Enhancement: -5

Device - Quantum Bolt 1->3: -18

6 Quantum Points: -18

Guys, Improved Attributes are meant more for people to have above human abilities without going all the way into megas. While I'm wasn't opposed to seeing them together, I've now seen full or partial numbers for 3 characters, and 2 of them has had that. I get the appeal of them, really I do. But they seriously devalue Abilities and they inflate already massive die pools.

Submit characters with Improved Atties and megas if you like. Just remember I'm going to be looking really hard at builds that have them, and I do not have to approve them just because you want them.

Also, please remember: today = shitty, so just ignore any hostility you might pick up in my post and just focus on the message. Thank you.

Archived