Aberrant: StarGate Atlantis - The Mid-Season Break

Dawn OOC

“Sir.” Bates’s tone was harsh enough that he stopped and forced himself to breathe deeply for a second. Shepherd stopped walking and the two men faced each other in the hallway. His expression was terse and stern as he faced the Captain, giving the other man a chance to calm down. They may not have liked one another, but they both respected the ranks each other wore. “Sir,” Bates continued when he had calmed down, “I respectfully request that you not gut my team.”
Shepherd’s eyes narrowed. “A move onto my team is usually seen as a promotion, Captain. It’s a sign of how good your team is.”
“Yes, sir. But they are my team. We work well together. We have understandings, sir.” Bates didn’t add that he had liked having the super-powered team. Weir had already started to mention some of the missions they’d be going on, and Bates had been really excited by the opportunity. They still had no idea how long these “super-powers” would last; McKay was no closer to a cure, but none of them seemed to be dying yet.
“I’ll let you keep Evana and Shane,” Shepherd started, only to stop when Bates caught his arm.
Bates didn’t need to touch people get their undivided attention, not since he’d changed. But he still did it, even as he reflexively added that extra oomph from his strange new abilities. “Sir, you give me Ford, or anyone else who isn’t like us, I’ll kill him. It won’t be intentional, but you know how soldiers are. If there’s one person who’s the super-man, then you look up to him. If you’re the one guy who’s not super powered, you’re going to try to keep up or feel less a man. That’s what whomever you replace Yseult is going to feel like.”
Shepherd studied him a moment before nodded. “All right. Keep your team, Captain. Anything else?”
“No sir.” Bates smiled, a stiff smile of gratitude. “Thank you, sir.”
“Don’t mention it, Captain.” Shepherd grinned before sauntering down the hall. Bates went his own way, his head spinning with plans. There was a lot to do.

This is a two-week interlude. During that time, you’ll be allowed to spend xp, convert your character and generally write what you’re doing during that downtime to progress your personal plots. In real life, I’m giving you guys until the end of March to write. After that, I’ll post another plot thread.

See me for anything you need; please remember that I may not have time to address your issues immediately so 1) please be patient and 2) please don’t wait until March 29th to need my help.

Moira made her way to Elizabeth Weir's office, and paused outside the open doorway, rapping briskly on it with her knuckles to announce her presence. Weir glanced up, but she was expecting Moira, and showed no surprise at the now super-powered scientist's arrival. She shuffled the papers she'd been reading back into their file, and set it off to the side, motioning the other woman in.

"Dr. Fitzgerald, please, come in. I understand you have something for me?"

"I do, Dr. Weir. This shouldn't take long, but I believe you'll find the information valuable."

She handed Weir the file - her notes on her sessions thus far with Inoae, the information she'd gotten regarding the structural composition of the hive, an English translation (as well as a photograph of the original flow chart in the Wraith language) that Inoae had drawn up for her, and any additional information that Inoae had given Moira thus far regarding the Wraith. Weir blinked for a moment as she studied the information, then glanced up at Moira. She had seated herself business-like across from Weir's desk, legs crossed and hands resting in her lap, fingers intertwined casually, and was studying Weir's expression as she reviewed the file.

"Moira, where did you get all this information?"

"From Inoae. Karen Heightmeyer asked me to spend some time with the girl, try to see if I could assist with her therapy. She was struggling a bit because of the cultural barriers, I think. We had our first session just before the storm, and I haven't had the opportunity to get you the notes on it until now."

"This is all from one therapy session?"

"Well, I don't know if I'd call it a therapy session. I mean, therapy is involved. She's suffered severe trauma, and I make no promises about my ability to assist her, psychologically. She's not only an alien herself, despite her human appearance, but has also been raised in an entirely alien upbringing. It's going to take a lot of time and energy, and I don't know what level of stability she's going to be able to attain, but a lot of my work with the girl is going to involve developing a greater understanding of the Wraith. So I suppose our sessions are part therapeutic and part.. cooperative interrogation. She seems more than willing to help us, as she now considers us her new hive."

“Thank you for letting me know this.” Dr. Weir leaned forward. “Doctor, I’d like to ask your professional opinion on Inoae. I have Dr. Heightmeyer’s report, but she sounds at a loss, even in the written format. You seem to have more confidence in your assessments even though this is not your primary field.”
"During my graduate studies, I had the opportunity to participate in a dig at Auschwitz. While there, I discovered a new charnel pit, filled with the corpses of Nazi victims - Jewish people, gay people, and other such 'undesirables'. That was the first time I was truly experienced the depth to which humanity can sink. It wasn't an intellectual study anymore. For three days, I assisted with the extraction and preservation process. We removed countless bones, hundreds of bodies. I touched our darkest moment in modern history that day, and knew that as a species we have committed even greater atrocities." Her green eyes stared levelly at Weir, betraying no emotion. "That experience has allowed me to peer into the most depraved of human minds, and taught me to do so without flinching away in surprised horror. Now, we know that the Wraith feed upon us, Dr. Weir. But what other depravities are they capable of, and how many of them have they visited on that young woman?"
Weir looked uneasy. “So it doesn’t horrify you at all? The things she’s talking about?”
Moira paused a moment before she said, “To be horrified, I would have to lack the ability to comprehend that another creature is capable of such atrocities. I am not blind to living creatures’ capacity for violence.”
Weir didn’t look reassured, but she nodded. “Very well. I think I understand. Capt. Bates has requested—actually, insisted on keeping Sgt. Moreau with his team. I was going to have her stay her, then Capt. Shepherd agreed to take Inoae. Then he and Bates had an understanding, and both men want Moreau with Bates. But I’m not comfortable with my options—sending Inoae into the field or forcing her to stay here when the one person she’s bonded to can be gone for days at a time.” Weir’s gray eyes studied her. “What are your thoughts?”

• 2 weeks later...

Moira looked thoughtful for a moment, as if she was considering the situation. Then she shrugged, and leaned back a little in the chair, her posture becoming a little more relaxed.

"Well.. frankly, neither is a very good option. Inoae isn't exactly the picture of mentally stability, and not someone I would normally imagine clearing for any sort of military duty. But so far as I've been able to tell, she has a fair grasp of the concept of a command chain.. a little too well, to tell you the truth. She should be trainable, after a fashion. And she's likely to do better with Yseult around. The more stable she becomes, the more useful she is, the easier it will be to help her eventually recognize that she has self-value. Of course, I'd like to keep her under observation. Adjustment is going to be a long, lengthy process, and I'll need to continue sessions with her. I suggest you have someone on the team who possesses at least a passing understanding of psychology, so that they can learn to recognize Inoae's triggers, and deal with any problems as they arise. Because they will.. I assure you."

It was interesting, watching Fitzgerald contemplate. She hadn't had a lot of interaction with her until this, only passingly in the halls and briefly during larger meetings with the scientists. It was easy, from Weir's perspective, to see where she got her reputation.. she often spoke sharply to those who criticized her, or spoke without thinking. She had little time or patience for people who underestimated her. But when she was treated respectfully, then that was how she treated others, and when she let her guard down a bit. She seemed almost intrigued by Inoae, and seemed to have at least a passing concern for the girl, though whether it was purely professional or not was hard to determine.

"I can tell you're frustrated, Elizabeth. I'm sorry I don't have an easy answer for you, but she's not an easy problem. She has the potential to be a valuable ally, but she's broken. And I can't promise to fix her. That's just not how it works."

"I'm not a psychologist, but I am aware that it's not a magic pill. There are mental conditions that can only be treated, not corrected. Years of torture seems like it would be on that list." Weir's frustration rose, twinned with a deep concern. Though it didn't show on her face, Weir did like the young Lanten and was interested in what was best for her.

"Your suggestion makes sense. You are aware, that will be you." Weir smiled slightly as she added, "I was planning on adding you to the team for first contact expertise anyway, so now keeping track of Inoae's mental well-being will be your job as well."

"The team?" Moira asked, looking vaguely alarmed.

"Don't worry. Captain Bates takes his command seriously. Some say too seriously but they mistake his dedication for stiffness." Weir gave Moira a terse smile. "When you're in the field, he'll be watching you closely. Not to censure you, but to protect. John has told me that Bates has a strong protective instinct. He will push all of you, but only to your breaking point, not over."

Archived