Mutants & Masterminds:[M&M3] GI JOE - Strike Force Unity

Mary Masters

Hello potential recruits!

I am starting a PL 8 M&M 3rd campaign inspired by the fun that was the 1980s GI JOE!

Yep! It's GI JOE against COBRA the enemy! But with a twist...

Seems in 2013, JOE and COBRA got into the special gene pool... so now the characters are superheroes!

Thing is, the old JOE and COBRA are gone. Retired or in Prison.

GI JOE now comprises the player characters. COBRA is a whole new den of vipers...

So... you game? Announce your interest here!

Power Level: 8

Okay, here is some setting particulars, since I was in a bit of a rush last night.

1: While this is a PL 8 game, I don't want people taking more than one power that is personal. Equipment and Devices have much more leeway.

2: This is a international team. While GI JOE is genuinely an American concept, this is 2013, thus things aren't as Ameri-centric.

3: Your character must come from a branch of the military your character originates from.

4: Your character's theme must be solid with what they do. If you remember the 80's GI Joe, this is a important pastiche.

5: Think in terms of marketing, although think with a 2013 sensibility. People still don't use lethal weapons, women and minorites have a larger role in this world, issues like LGBT and what not are explored in a tasteful way, etc...

6: Powers default to non-lethal, escape from destroyed vehicles is easy. (failed rolls to bail/jump/eject only cause non-lethal or non-permanent injuries)

7: You will enjoy mowing through mooks. ALL the mooks. Although again... all COBRA mooks will eventually get rounded up and taken to a prison hospital.

Now that that is out of the way here is a bit more plot.

GI JOE

The GI JOE organization has been resting soundly, as the COBRA organization has been completely routed. A couple years ago as COBRA has started focussing on making a few "Genetically Enhanced" (read freaks of nature) that have started doing at first under-the-radar criminal activity to rebuild their monetary base, then all at once struck on a day called "The Day of Venom". To respond, the various branches of the US Military and their allies in NATO, the JSDF, Korean Military, and the Russian Confederation's Military decide to activate a special project called "Strike Force Unity". Linking it with the GI JOE organization, their mission now taken global.

COBRA

COBRA was completely defeated by the JOEs back in the 1980s, in the process, the world went through an era of rapid technological progress as many COBRA technologies were put to the greater good of mankind. In the process though, one viper slipped through the cracks. COBRA Commander himself. He schemed and plotted, his body so mutated by the processes he used to enhance himself that his body was a mockery of humanity... taking on the form of a lizard-man. He then decided to get whoever he could find from COBRA's gene modification experiments to restore COBRA to greatness, and to once again strike fear in the world. In the process he built a cadre of terrorists and once again on "The Day of Venom" struck multiple military installations and naval vessels.This gave him the resources in conjunction with his criminal endeavors to start really becoming a threat.

Technological Level:

The tech level is "20 minutes into the future". Things like hyper-efficient solar panels and batteries, the start of viable fusion technology, and the start of non-military bases on the Moon and a joint UN mission to Mars is in the works.

Okay, I am noticing that I am CRAP with systems, but a damn genius on plot.

I am going to need a system guru handle the crunch of matters.

I am willing to give +1 PP and +1 HP to the player that does this, and I would still allow them to play in game.

The only way I could run and plot this on my own is if we downgrade to 2nd Edition.

In regards to 2nd Ed... is that even possible for who is here?

I know...

I'm just trying to find ways where I can make this work. I got no real GM chops, and I thought this setting would be a fun romp that wouldn't need much oversight, then M&M3's rules get in the way.

This is what happens when I still need GM floaties...

Anyways, either I can get a 3rd Ed expert to work with me on crunch, or I offer Second Edition.

If Second doesn't work, then I think I should just see if someone else wants to run this.

We'll keep 3rd Edition after all.

I'm studying it when I am home whenever I get the chance.

I just want people to understand that this game may run loose, and all advice is welcome.

I would ask that all builds, for now, be kept simple, so that I may read them in a way that I can understand how your powers work.

For instance, if you have an array, mark that array power as so, and place a * next to each power in the array that is not the primary power.

Example

Array Power #1

* Alternate Power 1

* Alternate Power 2

* Alternate Power 3

As for things like devices, I want their origin to always be Technological, in additional to all other origins/sources that each power in the device has.

Also I will be applying common sense to powers. If a power is perception based on smell, then it would follow the normal range of smell for a normal person, even if the owner of the power has an extended smell range... the other person still has to smell your funk.

Once we get in gear, I will go over each of your characters by eye, and see if it seems right to me. Since this is a short month, this will probably begin right before the end of the month, this way I can get everything in order.

Then again, if my inexperience has been a no-sell, or my lack of confidence with this, I understand and will pull this from consideration or hand it off to someone who is more compitent.

Interesting.

Just keep in mind your character can only have one power that they themselves have. Everything else must be devices.

I am thinking of loosening up this to have it where as long as there is a cohesive theme, I will allow several powers that link with eachother in a theme.

Seeing the massive spurt ot games starting up here, I have made a decision.

I'm placing this game in stasis for now. I will unthaw it if TFF isn't a success and the numbers of games starting up trim down.

That and when I get a hard cover.

Don't worry... this may still happen later this year. I'm NOT dropping this.

Archived