Aberrant RPG - Gabe's Fate Core/Aberrant Conversion

Gabe OOC

So obviously, we have rumblings about how to keep the spirit of Aberrant and its style intact, but clean up all the mechanics issues by using a different system. Instead of Mutants and Masterminds, I'd go to a more narrative and what I consider more effective method: FATE Core. So the below are a collection of house rules and material allowing us to make novas, with examples at the end.

All characters have simply been borrowed from Mutant High to use as an easy reference for the examples.

House Rules

Compels are expanded to include the following options:

1) -2 Penalty on Your Dice Roll.

2) You are forced to reroll the dice.

3) Something bad happens (As per the Fate Core compels).

Skills are capped at a maximum rank of Superb (+5).

Basic Character Creation Process

Step One (Baseline):

Create basic character as per FATE Core. The Phase Trio aspects certainly can reflect both pre and post eruption history.

Step Two (Nova):

Nova PCs gain a budget of X creation points to purchase aspects & stunts as Power/Mega-Attribute extras (these purchased stunts do not reduce Refresh), and additional skill points.

Additional skill points cost 5 creation points each. Aspects cost 10 creation points each, Stunts cost 5 creation points each. How this relates to the creation of powers and Mega-Attributes is listed below.

Note that all aspects should have an appropriate name to define it more uniquely and allow additional room for invokes and compels.

Nova characters also gain a Quantum Stress Track of 5 boxes. (Feel free to adjust the number of boxes for a high or low taint game.)

Mega-Attributes

Mega-Attributes are made by purchasing an Aspect and giving it an appropriate name/category.

MEGA-STRENGTH Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To destroy things with great strength, lift heavy objects, intimidate people, pulverize a foe.

- Compel: To be muscle bound and inflexible, stand out in a crowd, be unable to handle delicate things, accidentally break something, scare someone when you don't mean to.

MEGA-DEXTERITY Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To move quickly, perform tasks requiring great precision, dodge on reflex.

- Compel: To become impatient, to inspire jealously in those who cannot match your skills.

MEGA-STAMINA Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To resist fatigue, endure pain, stay awake, go without food or water, resist damage, overcome poisons and toxins.

- Compel: To inspire jealousy in others who do not have the same advantages, to find others exhausted before you are, to cause issues by ignoring normal human limits.

MEGA-PERCEPTION Category

Aspect Uses:

-Invoke: To perceive beyond normal human capability; detect an ambush; see through deception; detect something at great range.

-Compel: To incur damage when exposed to strong sensory stimulus (loud noise, bright light, etc, including sonic or laser weapons); to not pay much attention to other senses.

MEGA-WITS Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To benefit in a situation where swift mental reactions are important, to observe body language, to create great art.

- Compel: To become impatient, to have a sharp remark backfire or offend someone.

MEGA-INTELLIGENCE Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To make superhuman deductions, to create advanced technology.

- Compel: To be frustrated by others' limited understanding, to over-analyze a situation, to assume intellectual superiority, to find others cannot follow or understand your explanations.

MEGA-CHARISMA Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To charm and persuade, to make a good impression, to be likable, to sooth hostilities.

- Compel: To be spotted by fans, to not be given information that you may not like, to make people jealous of your charm.

MEGA-MANIPULATION Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To deceive, manipulate, resist lies and manipulation by others.

- Compel: To manipulate or con others, to encounter people manipulated in the past, to make people suspicious.

MEGA-APPEARANCE Category

Aspect Uses:

- Invoke: To seduce, make great first impressions, to make a good appearance with what you're wearing.

- Compel: To inspire jealousy in rivals, to gain unwanted attention, to find stalkers or other sexual interest.

Examples in practice: Curtis has the Always in the Lab (Mega-Intelligence) Aspect, reflecting not only his immense super-genius with science and technology, but his severe lack of of social skills and the associated reputation. This means there are additional ways to invoke or compel this aspect when it comes to social interaction....

Sonja has the Super-Barbie (Mega-Appearance) Aspect, referring to both her proportions and her corresponding nickname around the Academy. I personally have not figured out any additional invoke/compel uses, beyond the traditional Mega-Appearance list, but regardless, it helps make her character unique and flesh her out further.

Enhancements and Powers

Enhancements and powers are best handled as stunts, but right now I'm not going to make a list at the moment.

Example in practice: Alex can fire blast of solar energy with great power, chosen as a Solar Battery (Energy Projection) stunt....

Quantum Stress Track

This combines a measure of the Quantum pool and taint mechanics, and operates quite differently than other stress tracks in the rules.

Instead of spending a fate point when invoking a Mega-Attribute or power aspect/stunt, a nova may instead take a box of Quantum stress. When the nova's Quantum stress track is completely filled, the nova recovers all their Quantum stress boxes, but gains either a permanent Mild Aberration Consequence or upgrades an existing Aberration Consequence by one degree (Mild to Moderate, Moderate to Severe).

I would like to clarify something. Just because I used some Enhancement names does not mean that Mega-Attribute stunts are necessarily the Enhancements converted over. As someone pointed out to me, some of them fit better under the aegis of powers.

The key here is that as I see it, Mega-Attribute aspects are the core of a Mega-Attribute extra, representing both the benefits and downsides of those superhuman abilities via invoking and compelling. Hence they are mandatory for making a Mega-Attribute.

Mega-Attribute stunts are intended to represent areas where a nova has specialized improvements or advantages beyond the general norm. Like the Enhancements were, I think, intended in spirit if not turning out so when mechanically created.

I think a good example would be having a Mega-Perception aspect vs. having a Mega-Perception aspect and a stunt that improves your hearing. The first nova would already have superhuman senses, but the second would definitely have even better hearing, possibly to the point of putting the first to shame.

• 1 month later...

I like the Quantum Stress Track idea, but one of the things that some iterations of fate did was that you could take an extreme consequence to avoid being taken out, but the extreme consequence ended up replacing one if your permanent aspects ("He's more machine now, than man...") and this seems like a good way to handle the warping effect of Taint.

I like the Quantum Stress Track idea, but one of the things that some iterations of fate did was that you could take an extreme consequence to avoid being taken out, but the extreme consequence ended up replacing one if your permanent aspects ("He's more machine now, than man...") and this seems like a good way to handle the warping effect of Taint.

Yeah, I may crib in some stuff from Strands of Fate... we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived