Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [DSA] Christmas Party Mixer

Mech

The Yearly Christmas Party was a thing of beauty, in that it was paid for out of Connor's pockets, not the taxpayer's. It was friendly to all creeds, and totally voluntary, It was more about goodwill and getting everyone together than any religious tennets.

The food was a sumptuous banquet of finger foods, not necessarily gourmet, but things that everyone liked. It was open to everyone, and while he didn't stock any alcohol, he didn't ban anyone from bringing it.

Director Horst was there for the beginning, then excused himself. For the most part it was a baseline party, since only Connor was there first.

He knew there were several new novas in the DSA, and he'd personally invited them, just to be a welcoming compatriot.

There was a tree there were gifts, and he knew if Everyone showed, there'd be nowhere near enough, but still he'd made every effort, and would square it with anyone who felt left out.

Or at least he'd try to. His only worry was really that Karrie would eventually show up. He'd not really spoken to her since that night beyond the needs of work, and in a social setting such as this, it could be explosive.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kei had been looking for a good time lately. Seems things have been moving from one dissapointment to the next. First she gets grounded from flights using any DoD aircraft, then she ends up almost putting her lasers to a guy who seemed quite a pervert - and in the process walked out of a WotC contract.

She wasn't even going to begin on how Nate had been keeping it at first base. A couple moments at second base were nice, but that was wearing the schoolgirl outfit. She already had started looking at others, her roving eye once again starting to move.

So here she is, flying to where Connor had set up a christmas party. Something to keep her mind off of her failures in life... in a way she wished she was going after pirates again... standing alongside Karrie was a hoot. How she was lately was on her mind. She hasn't seen her since the Operation Valiant mission... she sorta hoped the cleaning bill wasn't too extravigant.

Things aside... flying on her own was a pleasure. Of course with her cloak on she didn't feel much of the wind. Of course she didn't feel much of anything through her flightsuit that has become a costume all of it's own. She had just gotten done with some charity work in Minneapolis' North Side to help it's rebuilding from a Tornado a couple years ago, not to mention some public appearances at the Holidazzle parade were an added plus.

Seeing the offices of the DSA at langely wasn't... something she thought she'd expect for a party location. She wished it was Connor's boat again, or someplace a bit warmer. She knew of a door on the roof near the break room and a helicopter pad where she could land and walk in.

Refraning from announcing her presence with a sonic boom, she uses her keycard at the roof-top access and makes her way to the break room... more like a full cafeteria.

"So... I see there isn't coal in my stocking... I guess I've been good this year after all." Kei said with a smirk. "Now if I can get off of grounding I'd be a happy camper."

She pulls back her cloak over her shoulders, crossing her arms. Something about her seemed different. She was still the shortfirebrand of the DSA, but there was a greater focus. She brushed back her long black hair, smiling. "I'm suprised I'm first here."

Connor chuckled at her comment when she walked in. "Well I don't know if I can help on that one, but you can at least come out of the cold and enjoy some good food with friends." Connor towered over a foot taller than Kei, and nodded.

"I'm not, you're pretty fast Kei. Did you hear from anyone else saying they'd show?" he nodded, looking around at the others talking and enjoying the ambiance. "Not that I mind being with any of my coworkers, I was just wondering if any others like us were gonna show up. You already missed director Horst."

"Meh, he's been busy lately. Lots of intel batting around lately and he's probably got another briefing to deal with." She smiled, knowing a few of the things going on lately. She might get called on again soon to deal with something. If it wasn't for this "mother" person she would probably still be flying the F-35N. Probably would have arrived here on it.

"As far as I know, I don't know. At least in regards to who else will show. I heard rumor though that we have a fox on the roster..." She quirks an eyebrow. "...now we got a furry."

She smiled hanging her cloak on the coathangar near the door. "Then again, I don't mind... I don't like normal anymore. I've been living 'normal' these past couple of months. I hate being bored... the public appearances are cute, but damn..."

She has a forced grin now. She's been out of the loop. Almost by choice.

"Don't call her that." His yellow eyes narrowed. "She's a nova like us, no more or less." The vehemence in his tone was almost a warning. 'Besides, i can take any form and you're a humanoid jetfighter."

He smiled "PR is not for everyone. Be glad though that there's been nothing big and major for us to respond to as Field operatives. I'd rather the world be without crises that demand nova involvement to resolve."

Connor's tone was a suprise. "Umm... Actually, I don't mind. Can't wait to see Roxanne first hand." She sighed. Perhaps all of her messed up life recently made her slip up on her protocol. Then again, it was human nature to point out the strange. "Also... speak for yourself... Quiet, while enjoyable, is B-O-R-I-N-G. Almost feel like I wanna sign up for another winter helping the USCG."

She sighed. "Also, after a recent armoring up for giggles... I think the proper term is starfighter, not fighter. Lately I've noticed I've been... upgraded a bit."

She giggled. "I shouldn't armor up in here... the new look it a bit dramatic, and I'm not one to brag."

"Well... these refugees... some of them give me the wiggins."

She shivers a bit. "The Japanese ones throw me off though, they seem more... stable than others. They have their scars though..."

She looks outside at the light layer of snow out the window overlooking the headquarters campus. There was a slight grin of realization on her lips. "I can't live in a peaceful world, can't I? Someone like me has to feel like all the power they have comes to use for the greater good... the downtime is the greatest punishment one could endure..."

She has a short laugh. "To hell if I know really... I should enjoy a vacation, but I don't... I'm almost 21 and I feel like I'm having a mid-life crisis."

"You are going to have to learn how to tie one of these someday, Roxanne. Now stand up straighter."

Roxanne sighed, and did so, and the woman in front of her resumed adjusting the scarf she'd decided to wear around her neck along with the blouse, the blazer, and the skirt. Roxanne had adamantly refused to wear heels, but had relented on wearing a tank top and jeans to a Christmas party.

She mentally reviewed the posting she'd left online, for other novas interested in the party, explaining how she was researcher for the DSA. She was looking to start networking at the party, in search of any nova who wanted her to examine their powers, or any nova who needed to talk to a psychiatrist and would feel more comfortable with a nova - or both at once, since she was particularly intrigued by how the latter impacted the former.

Of course, every time she brought that up, the first questions out of people's mouths were "so what the heck were YOU thinking when your node popped?"

Physician, heal thyself.

"There, that looks better." The woman stood back, and smiled. "I was joking about the heels."

"Don't we need them?"

"Roxanne, anyone who tries to talk down to you will live just long enough to regret it. Besides you dance a little when you walk. I'd hate to see you stop. You'll do fine. Go get 'em."

"Thanks, Mom." She kissed her mother on the cheek. "Sure you don't want to come?"

"You'll be fine on your own, you don't need me around. I have Netflix."

"All right." Roxanne set her shoulders, and walked out of her office and towards the lobby and reception. And yes, she did dance a little when she walked, because if you'd been forced to sit down for three decades, you would too.

She opened the door, and waved to the two people who'd arrived. "Connor! Hi! And you must be Kei. Sorry I'm late, I was learning how to... to tie a knot." She coughed. "It's the little things that get you."

Connor nodded. "They're different, which is to be expected. As for getting away, not like it's really hard for you. You can be anywhere pretty fast. It's just a matter of you actually sitting back and relaxing to enjoy whatever you do."

Anything else he would have said was put away, as he felt another nova coming up to them. He knew of only two novas remotely similar to Dr. Richardson She looked more "human" than Ryu, and even Naomi to an extent, but still she was still very much Vulpine in appearance, and he found it felt "right" for her to be that way.

"Doctor Richardson, I was wondering when you'd come in. You look great." He gave her one of his megawatt smiles, toned down from the norm. It's alright, the only person you've really missed is Director Horst, and he said he'd come back later if he could."

He chuckled softly at her reason for being late. "It always seems that way, doesn't it? I remember when my Father taught me how to tie a tie. It was for a cousin's wedding, and I was twelve. At least he tried to teach me then, it took me awhile to get it down to a perfect science and rote."

"There's food and refreshment, and so far alot of the staff from Public Relations, Accounting, and a couple from Research and Development have shown up so far. Please help yourself, and enjoy."

As he smiled, Roxanne allowed a fantasy involving fine dining and rich wine to play out in her head, an hours long date elapsing in an eyeblink. Then, contented, she put the thought away and returned the smile... not grinning too widely, since people got disconcerted when she showed too many sharp teeth.

"Thanks! I haven't eaten in a few hours. Ooh, vegan-friendly too." She picked up a paper plate and loaded it up with vegetables. "Who else has RSVPed? I'm anxious to start meeting more super-people. I only copied two people's powers and I already filled up a notebook and a half." Hope one of them's a flyer. I want more practice. And a helmet this time.

"Well, if you wanna add me to your notebook, I can fly and some other stuff... I can provide a helmet, parachute, and life preserver if you wish." Kei said with a smile, offering her hand. "I'm most definately Kei Nakano, Dr. Richardson."

She smiled. "Ironic at that since I can fly some of the most expensive aircraft ever made by man. Heh... "

She distracts herself from her mental funk. "So... how long did it take for you to adapt your furniture and clothes for your tail? Detective Minami from Department 0 talked with me on a mission in Germany about the annoyances with having a tail."

Kei went from being standoffish about the animal form of her new colleague to being fascinated. She almost felt like she wanted to become a hybrid. "Yeah, I got lots of questions."

There goes her mother's inquisitive reporter side.

"Not too long. I don't really fit the old clothes anyways. And it's not like I hate to go shopping. Well... well, nowadays, admittedly, it's all online." She ate an entire carrot in four bites. "Chairs, likewise. They sell backless chairs and stools and I got some for the new home. Questions are good! I admit I'm fascinated as to how you wound up with the power to turn into a jet?"

"Not very many, really, that doesn't mean others won't show, though." He smiled. "I tried to get dishes for everyone, since we've got a very diverse group."

He listened to Kei grill Vixen and chuckled. "I bet we could add some more pages, Kei and I, if you'd like to try either of us later on within the bounds of our work here." He nodded. "Do you copy the powers completely, like our signatures and such?"

He smiled, again it was like the sun shone in on them, a warm smile making everyone feeling at home. "I'd like to hear the story too. As for the furniture, I can put you in touch with Naomi Minami-Hideyoshi. She and her husband have similar issues."

He chuckled, "Soon enough, they're going to have five more of them."

Kei looked exited. She was fearless in testing things... or in this case helping Vixen learn about Novas through experimentation.

"I'm very much willing to volunteer."

"Also I don't transform into a true jet... it's more like the armor I call up... well it used to have stealth faceting and what-not that made it look like I was wearing parts of an F-22. Lately though I've taken on more of a sci-fi appearance to my armor... trying to figure that out."

She smiled. "Well, what would this experiment entail, Doctor?"

Connor chuckled. "Sure, though we might want to go to the roof if we're going to do that. Don't want you turning into a vulpine gundam here in the room, that would be messy, and Horst would have all our butts in a sling."

He nodded and continued. "Though I do think that would be pretty hilarious. Can you take more than one at a time, or is there some sort of limit to it?"

Kei smacked her forehead.

"I almost forgot to tell you how I ended up with my powers..."

She smiled, there was a bit of pride. "Well, I can relate it once we start on it. We were here for a party after all, right?" She said with a smile.

"Experiment? Hell no, there's no controls, no lab... no, this is just for fun." She grins.

"Only one at a time when it comes to copying. More than that's beyond my abilities. Sure you want to do it now? Are we expecting any other guests? It'd be ungracious if we were all up on the roof."

Rebecca peeked into the cafeteria room... seeing Connor, Kei, and Dr. Richardson was... a bit of a shock.

"Umm... Hello." She said, a bit sheepishly as she walked in. "I was getting done with some power analysis at the research campus and decided to come here since today's tests were done.

She was freshly erupted, barely a couple months. Seeing so many Novas in one place was... daunting.

Brushing off her grey jumpsuit-like outfit, she smiled, seeing Kei's outfit she blushed. Before she erupted she did collect a action figure of Kei... although tanding within a breath of Connor was making her blush. The Foxwoman was really cool though... Would she get to meet the Cat Detective next?

Kei quirked an eyebrow. "They're taking in Kids now? Seesh... they're probably thinking of replacing me at this rate..." She thought before strikign a smile. "Well, Doctor, just let me enjoy this spread over here first. Connor remembered Nachos, and I can't resist them."

Indeed she couldn't. She walked over and starts looking over her options for drink as well. "Oh... and Hi, Kid... Connor... why dont'cha handle the more formal intro, I've been talking to kids for the past month."

Connor chuckled. "Maybe a little. We can save that for later, once others arrive, or make an appointment or two as needed I'm sure. We do all work out of the same building after all."

He looked to Rebecca, their new arrival and nodded. The younger team had been invited, but he didn't think they'd show. "Good to see You Rebecca, come join the party. We've got much better food, and company in my opinion than R&D at the moment."

Roxanne worked in R&D, and it was obvious it was a playful tease, coming so cheerfully from the large shapeshifting nova.

Rebecca smiled. "Thanks, actually. I'm still getting settled in at my dormatory, so I've not had much variety in food lately."

"Particularly in terms of variety."

She looked over Vixen with a wide-eyed curiosity. "So..." She looks over at her tail. "Doctor...you don't get cold easily... well your Tail that is?"

Christmas. Other people could have Christmas this year. Not Anastasia. Well, she could but not with her parents. Her parents were dead. Dead because of her great power. And now Anastasia was holed away in a school for emerging novas. Not that she wouldn't enjoy learning how to use her powers. Anytime she used her powers she felt great. It felt like her mind rewarded her. Like some kind of drug but without all the harmful side effects.

Right now she was in her room, on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She passed her time not interacting with people by counting the little white dots on her ceiling. So far she had counted 250208 unique ones. What was that stuff anyway? She was sure she could find out somewhere, she had just never thought to ask. After getting bored, she sat up and looked over to her computer. "Shit, I'm late." She gathered up her hoodie and bolted out the door. The hoodie was dark grey, her favorite color.

She reached the cafeteria after a short exhausting jog. There were a bunch of people here. Most she had not met. Well, she hadn't met anyone really. She was just along for the ride here. This would be her first chance to meet any of the DSAers. She stuck to the wall and checked everyone out. There was someone her age here, real adorable, like almost animeish. Maybe she should go talk to her? That's when she caught sight of Connor. There wasn't anyone in the room anymore as far as she was concerned. How does one get that... that? Her cheeks flushed. He's probably not going to even look at me. He's too cool. Maybe I can talk to him from over here.

She sat down on the floor, playing with her phone, as if to avoid notice. But what she was really doing was talking to Connor in his head. Hey, Anastasia's mental voice said to him. It was short and unsure. Like herself really.

Connor stopped talking for a moment, unused to hearing another voice in his head. He didn't look around, but recognized the voice. "Anastasia, right? One of the younger novas the DSA has taken in?" His mental voice was strong and very sure, and he seemed amused. "Decided to come to the party did you? Come on over, none of us will bite. Feel free to partake of the food and drink too, This is a party, a chance for us all to unwind and mingle."

He still stood speaking with two other novas, and since she seemed to want to be left alone, had yet to turn their attention to her. "We're all friends here."

Younger novas. Yeah, she was just a kid alright. Connor would never take to her. If not attraction then by laws. Still, she had a pretty good crush-at-first-sight on him. That mixed with the fact that her power endorphins kicked in, she smiled. She took a picture of the party and posted it to her Facebook wall. Her Facebook page was empty though. No one wanted to share her thoughts and pictures. She had made it for her 13th birthday. All she had was likes and random pictures of stuff that seemed to matter her at the time. Oh, and a handful of unanswered friend invites that were probably never going to be answered.

All friends? She said to him skeptically, well maybe to you, sir. I'm just a noob. She got up cautiously looking around and walking over to where ever Connor was, he could be on the moon protected by guard dogs made of barbwire, she'd still come to him. When she reached her destination, she smiled. "Hi," her real voice was shaky and less confident than hr mental voice. He was also almost a good two feet taller than her. It was kind of embarassing to her to say the least.

He sent back "To you as well with time I think, though some warning, most don't like having extra occupants in their minds." Then she approached, and Connor looked to her. "Welcome to the party Anastasia." His voice was the exact same as in his mind, and the tall nova looked down slightly. before gesturing to the two novas standing with him. "Anastasia, this is Kei Nakano." he gestured to the shorter younger looking nova,"And Doctor Roxane Richardson," he indicated the nova with vulpine features also standing with him. "This is Anastasia, one of our fellow novas, who is under the care of the Government, as she learns to control her impressive powers." He was fully briefed on her file, and he knew that there was some funny business there, still the young lady had needed help, and the government supplied it. Now if only he could show her that what he'd said was true.

“Hey, son. You ready?” Horst stood in the doorway to the room, wondering when he’d let this one get under his skin. Rob had been easy to hold off at first; his smart ass ways had made it easy to play the curmudgeon and protect himself. It had taken a good two weeks to worm his way into Horst’s heart. Sean McCline was a different matter; it had only taken a couple of days to hook Horst.
Sean had been crying again. The kid was sitting on his bed, knees drawn up to his chest. The boy nova glanced at Horst, his features blurred by the dimness of the room. Sean’s strange eyes wouldn’t show redness, not with his sclera stained black. The faint green glow of his iris and pupil likewise hid the irritation from tears and rubbing, but his nose was red. Even beyond that, Horst had known that he would be crying. His mother’s funeral had been last week. “Do I have to go?”
Horst’s heart twisted a little at the plaintive question. He’d left the boy alone for the most part; the custody trial and the funeral had been rough on Sean. But Horst was sadly familiar with dealing with grieving boys. “No,” he said softly, turning on the light. Sean drew two reactions out of the older man. Seeing the misery clear on the boy’s face in the bright light made Horst want to wrap him in a hug and tell him it’d be all right. “But I think you should go. Get out of the room and try to have some fun.”
“Why?” Sean snorted as he bounced off the bed and went to moon out the window. “So, I can kill some more people?” The second urge arose in Horst at the boy’s sarcastic, petulant whine: the urge to shake some sense into the boy. Not for the first time, Horst reminded himself that Sean was a teenage boy, and therefore prone to self-indulgence and hormone-induced idiocy.
“No, so you don’t shame your mother by being a whiny baby.” Horst wanted to wince at the look of mixed anger and pain on the boy’s face but he held firm. The kid’s face almost crumbled into tears again, but he somehow pulled himself out of another bout of tears. “That was harsh. But if you can look at me, and tell me your mother wanted you to hide in a dark room for the rest of your life, then you can stay.”
Sean’s eyes dropped, but not before they shone with more tears. The kid’s shoulder’s slumped and Horst knew he’s won—not that he enjoyed this victory. The teen’s voice came out in a whisper. “I’ll be there in fifteen.”
“Good.” Horst nodded and left, giving Sean the privacy to wash his face and change his clothing.

Sean slipped his shades over his eyes, licking his lips nervously. The fifteen year old paused in the doorway, struggling to adjust to the tumult and press of people already at the party. A ripple spread through the crowd as they noticed him, whispers and murmurs that passed through the room. I shouldn’t have come. The thought alone almost sent him running. But Horst’s words about his mother taunted him and he drew himself up taller. Fuck them. Fuck him too. I’m hungry.
With a teen’s casual arrogance, Sean walked over to the buffet table and started to load up a plate.

Rebecca waved to Anastasia, and seeing Sean, she waved. "Hi." She said, it wasn't with much confidence but there was a sense of the fact she held her own a bit. "I'm Rebecca, guys." She said with a smile. She was used to social gatherings, but with just Adults, and most at that time with IQs double her own.

"Great to see more showing up."

She looked over at Kei, quirking her eyebrow before returning her gaze back to the gathering teens. "Oh and Kei's not one of us... SeaEagle flys solo, right?"

Kei stopped with a sigh, taking her plate of goodies. "No... There are those I bank my life on, kid."

She sat over near the tree enjoying her food-swag.

Rebecca blinked at Kei's remark... aren't people supposed to be happy as Novas? Or helping protect their country?

Hoo. Kids. Roxanne reacted fast nowadays, and processed shocks quickly; nonetheless, it had stung a bit, the last three kids she'd talked to. One had just stared, one called her "the doggie lady" and a third just screamed and didn't stop until her father took her away.

Still, she didn't show it. "Welcome, everyone! Help yourself. Ask me or Connor or Kei if you need anything." Roxanne flipped a carrot into her mouth like a piece of popcorn. "Connor and Kei and I were just about to find out what each other's powers are like."

"You can... copy powers?" Rebecca asked. "Is that how you understand how Novas work?"

She was curious. She wasn't fearless, but even she had something moving her to volunteer. "I'm not sure my Parents would approve, but the process doesn't hurt... does it?"

She pointed her fingers together, a bit unsure and not wanting to get the Vulpinid in trouble.

Shae sauntered into the part, wearing her 'normal' face: blond tresses, amethyst eyes, and enough attitude for an entire high school. She had ditched the whole "dress festive, y'know, maybe a dress" speech while Horst was still giving it and only hadn't ditched the party because there was free food. Lots of free food. It was always how they caught here. Eventually they put together the trail of massive appetite that fueled the wild (assumed) teen shifter's abilities.

Heads turned as she made her way through the room and she grinned despite herself. While it could be annoying when she just wanted to blend into a crowd and wander off for a few weeks, she really did love being one of the 'beautiful' people. Nothing sucked more than being invisible when you wanted to be seen.

She didn't know anyone here personally, though she did recognize most anyone that had made it into a magazine or had the 15 minutes (or hours or days or weeks or...) of fame from being a nova. Seeing other not-adults was actually kinda a nice. She might even stick around for a few hours and let her handlers enjoy the part a bit before ditching them for another round of hide-and-seek with the DSA. It beat the hell out of school.

She sidled up to the impressive buffet and nodded to another teen, a boy with shades on inside (which had gone out of style so forever ago, but most boys were clueless like that). She gave him a smile anyways and loaded up a plate for an obviously nova-sized appetite. She turned back to the main room, leaning against the buffet table in an unconscious territorial display as she nibbled at her food. "So," she began as if she and the boy had been talking for a while already, grinning at him, "anything other than the food worth sticking around for here?"

The teen boy watched everything behind his glasses. He was nervous; for all of his bluster when he’d walked in, he was uncomfortable in his own skin. Sean was waiting for someone to call him out on his presence here; that’s what Sean would have done. There’s no way everyone could be okay with him being there.
The girl caught his eye but the red head didn’t really react to her, not in the way a teen boy should have. She was pretty, but he didn’t feel anything looking at her. No surge of lust, no desperate desire to talk to her, no incredible awkwardness flooded him and made him embarrass himself. Instead, he shrugged at her question. “Dunno. I’m here for the food, and I just got here. Plus Horst pretty much insisted that I come, so I’m getting him off my back.”
“Yeah, I like giving him his way while making him sorry did as he asked,” the girl laughed, and Sean decided he liked her laugh.
Impulsively, Sean reached over and grabbed a skewer of shrimp, dropping it on her plate. “These are killer. Bit spicy. The rub.” He demonstrated by picking up his own stick and using his teeth to pull the meat loose. “But good.”

Oh, of course people don't like people in their head. How unthoughtful of her. Especially with him. She couldn't help herself sometimes though. Anastasia took note of everyone in the room. Two were, or at least looked, her age. Possibly the group she'd be working with. One was a fox woman. She sort of looked like some of the artwork in deviantArt, but real. But still, her mind was on Connor. She had to break away.

Food. Food wasn't her normal take-her-mind-off-of-things thing, but it was getting away from the gorgeous giant of a man who made her very pleased in just staring and thinking of just him. She waved goodbye to Connor and quickly scooted over to the buffet table. There were other people there. One of them happened to be a guy her age talking to a pretty blonde woman. She wondered what he was thinking about her. Though Connor said no digging in people's brain. That was going to be hard, considering the whole mental-powers-make-me-really-happy thing. Still, Connor said it. So she didn't.

Picking up a plate, she sort of nudged through the food. Not really hungry, she was there to meet other people. She put a few mixed salads on her plate. Picking at it with a spoon, she turned to Sean and Shae. "Hello," she said a bit less intimidated. They weren't the man of her dreams over there, so she could be a bit more open. "I'm Anastasia. I'm new here."

"Ah, well, hasn't hurt anyone yet, but... it's the sort of thing where it's probably best if you're older, just in case." She scratched the back of her head. "I've never done it on anyone still going through puberty, you see."

Rebecca nodded. "That's okay... I really don't want to have my genes accidentially scrambled."

Sighing, she then smiled. "No insult intended on your skill, of course, it is a logical precaution." Looking around she sees others had walked in as she was distracted by Dr. Richardson.

"Oh! Hello everyone!" She said, now grinning. "I... didn't think more got recruited."

What everyone notices is that Rebecca's slight british accent was starting to come out again. She had been trying to sound more American. Before her eruption she had been made fun of because of her accent. Being raised by a British Professor father and a Japanese Doctor mother who both spoke with a similar accent didn't help.

Everyone called her Harry Potter... Didn't help she liked those books.

She starts to feel a bit ignored, so she decides to show off, levitating her cup over to the punch bowl and starts working with the punch ladle

Her hand gestures showed she as of yet wasn't fully getting a handle on warping space to work with her.

Connor chuckled at Rebecca's antics, and smiled. "Well I did not say "no powers." He smiled. "It would be somewhat less fun without them." He watched Anastasia go off to meet two of the other teens, knowing these were the two Horst considered the most problematic. One ran off and lost her handlers constantly, the other still suffered severe guilt regarding the events of his eruption. Perhaps Dr. Richardson would be able to help him learn to cope and then move past what happened. He would need to.

"Indeed." He smiled. "Well looks like Horst brought in nearly all the younger novas we've recruited lately.." he looked to the buffet. "The Promise of free food and plenty of it brings most novas in, I've notced that those who do need to eat are generally extremely big eaters."

A murmur filled the room. A path from the door opened, the sea parting before the holy Moses. The image was apt, if sacrilegious, for this particular Moses was wearing a red and silver sheath dress. Golden blonde hair was pulled back from her face and held with two silver combs. A perfect body drew the eye, even as the watcher found themselves distracted by the perfect face. Even those who didn’t like cats found the golden tail that was occasionally visible below the hem fetching.
Kitty Price had arrived.
When she saw Connor, the woman gave him a dazzling smile and changed her course across the floor toward him. Everyone watched as the world’s hottest man received a hug from the world’s sexiest woman. “Hi,” she whispered in his ear before releasing him. “Sorry I’m late.”

Time froze when Kitty entered the room. Well at least for Anastasia it did. She saw the newcomer walking towards Connor. "That's Kitty Price, isn't it," Anastasia mumbled to herself while poking the gunk-called-salad on her plate with her plastic utensil. She was not trying to stare a hole in Kitty. That would be rude. When she saw her kiss Connor and make with the whisper, Anastasia heart dropped to the ground. A quick read of Kitty's emotions revealed she was happy to be here and with Connor. Anastasia furled her brow and got into Kitty's brain. She knew Connor just said no messing with other people, but this was something that needed to be addressed!

There was some deep seated hate in Kitty's head for Connor. She just needed to flip that switch. Anastasia's empathic skills were good, but possibly lacking. She didn't know, she just was stabbing in the dark. It was a long trek, but she finally found it. The memory that she just needed to press on hard enough. And boy did she hit it... very softly. As much as she wanted Kitty away from Connor, she didn't want an incident.

Rollin
[Crazy Girl] 11:44 am: are there rules against using non damaging/harmful powers against players? I know someone mentioned "no PVP" but Anastasia doesn't aim to hurt Kitty, just put her mind elsewhere
[Malachite] 11:45 am: You can take specialties for a skill, which adds an extra die for that particular kind of use of the skill. Like Medicine (Spec: Surgery).
[Carver] 11:45 am: What do you mean by put her mind elsewhere?
[Carver] 11:45 am: And generally, you should ask the player first. Some, like me, will roll it, though I'll be sure to warn you about the implications of doing it.
[Asarasa] 11:46 am: Yeah, generally ask before using a power that actually effects another player first.
[Crazy Girl] 11:46 am: which is why i'm asking
[Asarasa] 11:46 am: I know Carv, Myself, and Mala are generally okay with it, as long as it makes the story more fun.
[Crazy Girl] 11:47 am: she wants Kitty to get away from her "man"
[Crazy Girl] 11:48 am: make her interested in something else
[Carver] 11:48 am: Oh, Lord. Yeah,I'm fine with that.
[Crazy Girl] 11:48 am: make her not interested in Conner
[Asarasa] 11:48 am: Hee
[Crazy Girl] 11:49 am: should we roll off or should i just write it up
[Carver] 11:50 am: I don't know that there's a power strong enough to make a straight or bi woman not interested in Connor. However, she can be distracted (she is "kitty" after all).
[Carver] 11:50 am: Uh, what rolls are there?
[Asarasa] 11:50 am: Manipulation + Em vs. Willpower, IIRC
[Carver] 11:51 am: Ok
[Carver] 11:51 am: Let's do the rolls.
[Crazy Girl] 11:52 am: alright, mega 3 means 3 extra die, right?
[Asarasa] 11:52 am: Yes, and each success on those count as 2 successes
[Carver] 11:53 am: Yes, and you get double suc on 7.8 or 9 on the die, and 3 suc if those come up a 10.
[Crazy Girl] 11:53 am: alright i'll do my regular roll then my mega die
Crazy Girl *rolls* 8d10t7r: 8,7,1,1,6,4,5,4. Successes = 2. The reroll number was changed to 10.
[Crazy Girl] 11:54 am: now mega
Crazy Girl *rolls* 3d10t7r: 6,2,6. Successes = 0. The reroll number was changed to 10.
[Carver] 11:54 am: Willpower, 8 dice
Carver *rolls* 8d10: 7+1+8+5+4+2+1+4: 32
[Crazy Girl] 11:54 am: welp, this will not end well
[Carver] 11:55 am: 2, we tie.
[Crazy Girl] 11:55 am: but it did!
[Crazy Girl] 11:55 am: or not
[Crazy Girl] 11:55 am: hm what does tie mean?
[Carver] 11:55 am: I think it means I defend, but I'll give it to you. It'll be fun
[Asarasa] 11:56 am: Just means the effect probably won't be overwhelming.
[Crazy Girl] 11:56 am: She now dislikes Conner

Rebecca was blissfully unaware of what Anastasia did, more happy that she managed to pour herself a drink and levitate back her drink to her. People did say she should find ways to train her power whenever she had a chance... within reason, of course.

"Hello, Kitty!" Rebecca said with a smile. "Oh wow, you got a tail too!"

Rebecca smiled,wishing she had gotten such cool things, at least to her.

Archived