Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 8: New Beginnings

Justin OOC

The new Term had begun, with everyone moving on to the next grade. Perhaps most surprisingly, they found They would not all be in the same class again, with Miss Nekomone, who'd been tapped to teach Juniors this next school year as Several teachers had elected not to return after the last incident.

There was roughly fifteen minutes before class, and the roster according to the computers had changed alot, with some friends moving to other classes. For the most part, the core group had remained though, with some new additions.

all the active PC's will be in class together

The class room was still lightly populated, only a few students there, but chief among them was Kyohei, who no one had heard from or seen in the last month.

He was once again without a roommate, as the school's population had decreased to just over nine thousand. He looked trim and fit, moreso than normal, and sat with a calm ease, knowing he'd probably have to answer a slew of questions regarding his disappearance, but he smiled. It was good to be back.

room assignments Delilah and Aria, Yuuki and Kyra, Skye and Katrina, Darrik and Kuro, Sia, Natsuko. All other PC's are considered inactive at this time.

What I'd like is your PC getting to the room, and possibly interacting with the handful of students, or Kyohei, as you like. Once we get everyone there, we'll move forward, and get this party started.

The dorm suite was empty, and the solitude comforted Darrik. Though Kurosoroshiimaru was ostensibly his roommate, Darrik knew the haughty hengeyokai ex-prince was still trapped in cat form and of course still kept company with Skye. So he basically had the room to himself, thankfully...

Except Flicker, but the shadow imp was hanging around quietly, not in any inclination to disrupt his master's brooding for now. The return to the Valley had not been the welcoming vacation Darrik wanted. Well, he finally rose for class now.

He wasn't alone now, his friends should be back... and Jez too, the thought of his girlfriend putting a smile back on the warlock's face. Darrik snatched up his books, and shadow-stepped to the classroom.

Katrina kept her hair back in a pony tail. She had been getting herself organized since she's had to change roommates twice. She's getting used to living spartan, to stay mobile. Although her gear for her usual concept of trouble always manage to go with her. Then again , legal BASE jumps while not exiting on the legality scale tend to be from quite high points.

Although her Spring vacation was one of practicing, getting to know her combative ability. She focussed on becoming more of an asset for her friends. Disaster after disaster has been befalling the school. She should be ready.

It felt odd heading back to the classroom. The last time she did so, she ended up suffering the ill effects of a supernatural virus. In a way experiencing a normal day of school would be... exiting. She had let Skye handle her affairs... she had her own life, after all. Some days she couldn't speak to her out of guilt. Other times Skye felt like the only person she could talk to.

She had come here to learn about other monsters, to get away from the Human world. Thing is now with the past events she longed for that world again.

She opened the door, seeing Darrik there was a suprise. She didn't take him for a early riser... or herself for that matter.

"Hello, Darrik! err... Konnichiwa." She said. "I've been practicing my Japanese. Finally catching on."

She smiled, trying to not make too much of an ass of herself.

"Excuse me."

It took quite a bit to sneak up on a catgirl, but Aria managed to pull it off somehow. The hallway had been empty as far as the eye could see when Katrina opened the door. Barely a few seconds later Aria was right behind her, evidently wanting to get past.

"Nice to see you again, Darrik," she said with a polite little bow. Another bow went to Katrina as she scooted in past the nekojin. "And you, Katrina. I hope you had a good break."

Maybe it was a reaction to the forced 'openness' of the plague outbreak, but Aria seemed back to her prim, polite, inscrutable self as she went to a seat to await the start of class.

"Hey Aria! Yeah it was a blast. Got to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, did some workouts, parcticed my Parkour... it was a blast, really." Katrina said, in passible Japanese. "Yeah, been studying. This is a school, after all."

She smiled jokingly, taking her seat. "I just got a bad feelin'..." She looked at the door. "...been having bad luck lately with the start of class... I never look at this the same after what happened."

The memory of her altered state was still burned in her memory. It was feeling like an addict remembering a high.

Note
Yeah, I'm gonna have some fun with her in a story about her spring vacation... Gonna take her out for a full spin.

The door clicked open and closed behind one Hina Yuuki, her usual faint smile dancing on her composed features as she shed a few extra layers of coats. She *really* didn't like the cold, even the lingering nip of winter in the early spring.

The break had been... A very welcome one. Going home. Tending to her Tree after entirely too long. Revaluating herself and her place in the Clan in the company of her kin. It helped. Alot. Even the realisation she didn't quite fit in among her Sisters was made a little easier to swallow after a talk or three with her Aunts who had spent significant time away from the Vale. If she could have stayed and helped with the spring plantings, took part in the vernal equinox festivel, she would have in a heartbeat.

But she had duties to attend to here, some of them owed to herself even.

The young Dryad permited her smile to strengthen into a grin at the memory of how that last part had been brought up. Coats hung up, she put her school bag back on her shoulder and walked over to Kyohei's desk, smile not waning one iota. "It is good to see you, Kyohei-Kun," she offered softly, "I am looking forward to catching up with you since Haruhana-Sama was unforthcoming as to your plans over the break."

Kyohei turned from the window, looking at his former Roommate and smiled. "She was asked to be."

It's good to see you again, Yuuki, I'm glad we're in the same class at least."

There was a certain melancholy about him. "I don't know how much I can really say, about how I spent my break. It was not what I'd hoped for, but it's done now, and at least for now, I can be here with all my friends." The faint smile he offered was genuine, if abit muted by the sadness in his eyes.

Kyradathea walked into the room only a few moments behind Yuuki and upon seeing her friends present in the room she smiled, it was good to have them together again. Of course, her dryad was a special case and she walked up to Yuuki and put an hand on her shoulder, then she looked at Kyohei and her eyes narrowed slightly, the sound of sorrow in his voice had her somewhat... if it wasn't for a few words of advice from her father over the break regarding being careful with your friends feelings, she would have been angry that someone made him sad..

As it was, she calmed herself, her time with the dryads had taught her a bit about remaining calm, and she took several deep breaths, then turned to look over the rest of the room. "Hello, it is good to see you."

Darrik pulled out his seat, and offered himself a pained little smile to see he wasn't the only one with some uncomfortable break secrets. "Join the club, Kyohei. My break in the Valley wasn't pleasant at all, not something I wish to talk about either."

Pulling out his books and papers, as there was class to begin, he added, "But it's good to see you all. Now we can simply worry about quizzes."

A lie, he was still worried about what he'd learned in the Valley. But that had to be hidden for now. There was the chance of a pop quiz, as he said.

Kyra received a quick sidelong look at her uninvited touch, Yuuki moving out from under the taller girl's hand before devoting her attention back to the two males. Ah yes. Her new... interesting roomate was going to take some getting used to.

"Well, whatever *any* of your problems, I'm always here to listen to what you can share. A harmonious garden is a happy one," she replied, "And I enjoy seeing my friends happy."

That last was accompanied by a look to Kyohei and a quick hesitation showing that 'friend' wasn't quite the polite word she wanted to use to describe him. Now wasn't the time or the place though. At least Darrik was there to distract her from her thoughts.

The school was much larger than she'd been given to understand initially, and it took several minutes of walking around, peeking into open doors and asking for directions before Natsuko finally managed to reach her assigned class. As she walked into the room, idly smoothing the gleaming white sash of her cobalt blue kimono, her golden eyes scanned the faces of the students who would be her classmates for the coming term. They all seemed acquainted already, though she supposed that was to be expected- after all, she was a newcomer here, and it would take some time to find her place among them.

"Good morning," she offered politely, dipping her head briefly in an approximation of an informal bow.

Kyra got a smile from him. She seemed to have really taken a shine to Yuuki. Darrik's admission made him nod. "That's part of it. Sucks that it isn't just me." He looked to Aria, as she seemed to be in the background. "How about you Aria, was your break alright?"

Yuuki's words did make his grin widen, she knew him better than any save Delilah, and she knew how to make him feel better.

He was going to reply to her when someone he didn't recognize entered the room. She was beautiful, in a regal way, and clad in a kimono no less. He nodded politely, smiling. "Welcome to Class 2-C, COme inside and take a seat. They've not been assigned yet." It was clear he was inviting her into the cluster of friends there by him. The other students looked her way, but then went back to their own conversations. A new student really wasn't something all to new, not until after the formal introductions."

Kyohei smiled. "It's nice to see a new face, I'm Kyohei." It was a sincere sentiment, not devoid of all sadness from before, but he seemed to have put it away with the new arrival.

There was the clicking-clacking of heels outside of the classroom, then the door opened to reveal a crimson silk blouse and shiny leather bodice stretched mightily over their dramatically fulsome contents. A moment later, Delilah entered, a grin on her lips that was playful, lascivious... and faintly dissatisfied as she waved at a girl - a nymph - passing by out in the hall.

Her holidays hadn't been as exciting as she could have wished. Again, Kyohei was keeping secrets from her. Yes, he would probably have a good excuse for it, would even be sincere in regretting keeping it - she could taste it - but it was extremely frustrating.

Sure, she had dallied with a number of girls - both here at school and in the Human World while visiting there with her mother - and yes, she had very much enjoyed herself. But she had also missed boys and since she had promised Kyohei she would lay only with him and he had been off doing whatever he had been doing, that had meant no boys. At all.

It had been very hard to keep that promise. During the school break, she had been a horrible and vicious cocktease and had chased after girls with an even greater aggressive exuberance. There had been a minor scandal when she had been shopping on Rodeo Drive when she had gone out clubbing and bumped into Lindsay Lohan.

Breezing into the class room, Delilah eyed the new girl's behind as she offered her abbreviated bow, then offered her a grin as she passed her. "Hi! I'm Delilah Synn, always nice to see a new girl join the class." The succubus' purple eyes twinkled, suggesting all manner of delights. "Hey! Ever consider being a cheerleader? Let me know! I'm Co-captain, I can put in a good word, but you still hafta try out. There's the code and all that, right?"

Letting Natsuko ponder that, Delilah continued her swaying saunter, maybe two inches of fishnets visible between her short-shorts and spike-heeled thigh-highs, as she stalked after Kyohei. She nodded to the rest of her friends, exchanged greetings with them, yet somehow, her eyes never left Kyohei's.... Except for a very brief moment when they narrowed at Yuuki.

Then she was right in front of Kyohei. She casually shoved his desk away with demonic strength, then straddled his lap in a sultry production, her fists bunching up in his shirt as she pulled his close.

"Kyohei..." she purred softly with a depth and plethora of emotion - hurt, desire, anger, love, melancholy, passion, need. Kyohei could feel the sharpness of her nails through his shirt, just short of drawing blood. "... I've missed you!"

Then she kissed him, long and hard, aggressively and ardently. Though Kyohei was more reserved, Delilah rarely was, even - or especially - in regards to open displays of affection. And she was clearly not going to accept a no at the moment.

He owed her! One month without her Mate of Fate! A WHOLE month! She was almost itching to tear off his clothes right here in the middle of class and she didn't need the excuse of succumbing to her base desires as like when the virus had been affecting everyone.

Any Reply from Natsuko was interrupted as Delilah stalked Brazenly into the room, and promptly made her way to Kyohei and proceeded to Express her desire, displeasure and need all at once in front of everyone. Kyohei simply accepted this, and for Delilah, she could only feel a sense of overwhelming relief from him, intermixed with the deep love he carried for her in his heart. When she finally let him up for air, he smiled. "Missed you too Delilah."

He looked at her and nodded. "Tonight I'll show you how much." He had moved past being embarrassed by the way she mounted him, it wasn't new. Indeed, even the other boys envied him, but knew She couldn't be turned. "I trust you had a good and enjoyable break?"

He caressed her shoulder calmly, trying to calm her down some.knowing she'd strip him in front of everyone and jump him here without caring.

"My break," Aria said blandly, as if Delilah hadn't just jumped on Kyohei's face, "was fine. Thank you for asking."

Although Aria could lie with a perfectly straight face, this time she wasn't. She'd taken the opportunity to spend more time in her real form, perched on a web in the basement...though she'd tidily taken it down again once the school year was about to commence. She found it was relaxing, it helped her reconnect with herself. Stop worrying so much about who she was, or what other people thought. She was who and what she was...those that could accept that would be friends, the others...would not.

She'd had time to think on the matter of the Becatted Prince as well, and found a certain pleasure in the notion of undoing what one of the Yokai Lords had decreed. It would have to be done carefully...but she was committed now to doing it. Now she just had to figure out how.

"How was your break, Delilah?" Aria asked, still poker-faced and with an unfazed conversational tone.

"You really have to ask, Aria?" Darrik replied in amusement. Of course, it provoked the concern in his head. If this was what Delilah was like after a month, then he was lucky Jez had moved on to the college section of the Academy. Then again, Jezebelle was more restrained than Delilah.

On the other hand, saying that about an Awakened succubus seemed to be comparable to the difference between a raging storm, and what in the Human World was called a hurricane. Given a certain amount of similarity to Kyohei, Darrik doubted his reactions would be much different... dash it all.

To get his mind off the matter of hungry succubi and their behaviors, Darrik refocused on Natsuko with a polite smile. "That's Delilah for you. I'm Darrik Saliusann." He had no idea if she was prejudiced against warlocks/witches or not, but it made little difference in the end.

The young Dryad didn't look away at Deliah's challenging glance, lips quirking reflexively into momentary disaproval as the Sucubus tossed aside all restraint and made out with Kyohei in the middle of the classroom. If not for the human sitting right there, Yuuki would have had words for the other girl. As it was, she'd bide her time and make her own play another time. She had *incentive* now, and it showed in her eyes before looking away to the new girl.

"Welcome to the Academy," she offered with a bow just a fraction deeper than Natsuko's own, "That is a lovely kimono, but I apoligize for not catching your name if you offered it. I am Hina Yuuki of the Hina Clan. This is Kryadathera-Sempai, my roomate."

She gestured at the dragoness, smile warm and serene again as she introduced the one student in their circle who hadn't been identified yet.

The break for the Siabhra Leanansidhe had been one of boring usefulness, calming students taking long to recover their 'civilized' selves or those wounded enough to need long-term care even with her draughts. She would have enjoyed the endeavors more had she thought it would really matter for her, but the school was not run by the Fae and as such had the simply bizarre concept of charity. Of all the strangeness she had encountered in her years at the Academy, that was one that her mind refused to comprehend or include in her education. Not just was it foreign to the Fae, it threatened the very nature of their society and beings. And yet, that was how she'd spent the month. Engaging in charity. The return of classes and a somewhat natural order of existence was a welcome relief.

She stepped into the classroom with the calm grace of someone once again entirely certain they were where they were supposed to be and utterly unconcerned that the only person she recognized enough to name was her new roommate. She deftly side-stepped said roommate and took a moment to evaluate each of her new classmates. Whatever her conclusions about them she drew, they were hidden behind an aristocratically aloof expression.

"Murakami-san," she nodded to Natsuko, as always opting for the formal modes of interaction. She might be less formal with her friends - but that assumed she had any and there was scant evidence to support such a thought.

"Ah, of course! Please, forgive my rudeness," the slim girl in the azure kimono replied suddenly, as if something had just occurred to her. Approaching the group of students orbiting Kyohei, she bowed apologetically; the air in the room grew perceptibly warmer as she moved nearer. "I've heard so many tales of you, and of this place, I almost felt I'd been introduced long ago. Murakami Natsuko is my name, and I am pleased to meet all of you." If she felt flustered, Natsuko's easy smile and noble bearing concealed it well.

Darrik processed that, then looked back at Natsuko, covering his odd feeling of cautiousness with a polite smile. "Well, Natsuko... if you're new... how did you hear about us exactly? I didn't think the Newspaper Club rated that much notice."

Well, with the secrets they were sitting on, that was untrue, but only with regard to the Monster Lords and those others who were apparently involved in these strange happenings.

"I trust you had a good and enjoyable break?"

Delilah sat back on Kyohei's thighs, giving him a playful pout that portrayed a pinch of pique. "Oh! Y'know, I somehow made due without my Mate of Fate."

She glanced over her shoulder giving Yuuki a hard look before giggling and giving Natsuko and Siabhra a mischievous appraisal. Letting herself by calmed down, the teen temptress rolled off Kyohei, pulling a chair and desk close, so she could sit next to him and let him continue rubbing her shoulder and back.

With a Red Dragon as a friend and able to wield HellFire and AngelFire both, the warmth radiating from Natsuko was hardly unwelcome. She seemed proper, maybe even prim, but was very cute. "Hi!" Delilah chirped, hardly concerned where Natsuko may have heard of them or the Newspaper Club, or even really giving any thought. "Pleased to meet you too. Maybe this evening after class and cheer practice, we can arrange to get properly 'introduced', hmm?"

The Leanansidhe Delilah had heard tell of, mostly from the nymphs on the Cheerleading Team. She didn't sound as fun as the other fae-girls she was familiar with, but maybe that just because she hadn't met the right woman yet. Or man. Whatever she preferred. Delilah was more than willing to help with that!

"Hey to you too... Sheeva, is it?" Purple eyes sparkled with an earnest - if still seductive - exuberance. "You ever consider joining the Cheerleading Team? I'm the Captain, I get final say if you try out. It's fun and the girls are great." She gave Darrik a coy glance, lips twisting faintly. "Most of 'em."

This time, all of Yuuki's training couldn't keep her from rolling her eyes at Deliah's declaration. Tree save them all from crusading cheerleaders.

"A pleasure to meet you both," the young Dryad added, covering her breach in decorum with a soft chuckle and a bow of her head, interest focusing on the more-traditionally-clad Natsuko, "As much as I would like to selfishly urge you to join the Gardening Club instead of Synn-Sempai's Cheer squad... I confess to sharing a curiousity as to how you know of the Newspaper Club. All I knew of the campus before coming here was that we would be studying how to interact with the tree-burning, yokai-slaying humans of old."

She glanced at Kyohei and let the smile turn wry, "But then again, I was very sheltered."

Kyohei smiled to Delilah and nodded. "I'm sure I'll find some way to make it up to you."

He looked over at Natsuko as she came into the ever expanding circle of friends that was the newspaper club. "Well, I heard Miss Nekomone once mention that some copies of the paper were sent to former students here who liked to be kept abreast of happenings here on campus. Could easily be that Natsuko's parents, or an older sibling perhaps was one of those."

Kyohei too was a member of the gardening club, easily the hardest working member, since he didn't have monster abilities to help with the load. In a way though it endeared him to the other members, as it spoke volumes to how much he believed in the school's message.

Time was drawing near for the bell, soon they'd all have to take seats, only to be rearranged by the instructor. "What made you decide to come to the academy, Natsuko? You don't strike me as someone forced into it."

Natsuko considered the questions for a moment before replying, a variety of emotions flitting briefly across her features. When she finally responded, she answered Darrik, Delilah, Yuuki, and Kyohei in turn, her face a politely neutral mask that was somehow no less pleasant for lack of a visible smile.

Turning amber eyes on the warlock and the dryad, she replied, "I've an older sibling who seems to think highly of your club, and was quite impressed with your ability to put on a theatrical performance. Naturally, they've shared stories of your exploits, I can only assume with the expectation that I would enroll to experience them and verify their tales myself. You needn't worry, of course, if discretion is a concern for you. I have no intention of sharing what I've heard."

Though it was unclear whether she was aware of the implication in Delilah's invitation, Natsuko dipped her head in acknowledgement and gratitude. "You are very kind to offer. I of course look forward to making new friends here, and your thoughtfulness toward a new student does you credit. Thank you."

"As for my decision to attend this academy," she continued, regarding Kyohei with the faintest hint of a rueful smile, "it is largely as I said. I have no doubt that I was intended to hear these stories and decide that I must see for myself whether they were true, though I must assume that my elder's intention is primarily that I gain the experience and knowledge necessary to succeed them as head of the family if marital partners and their potential progeny are found lacking."

"I have been informed that I will be joining the Newspaper Club this semester, along with a round of duties in the infirmary." Despite her exact wording, her tone did not indicate any ill feelings about the situation. Her eyes slid over to Delilah, though, thoughtful and somehow...sharp. "Siabhra," she corrected without inflection, emphasizing the "r" sound. "I do not think it would be wise for me to socialize in the Cheer club. And I do not encourage failure, which would become awkward any time a team was losing."

She nodded to Yuuki, no more or less friendly than she had been in replying to Delilah. "I tend my own and some of the public gardens here already. If my time permits, I might spend time with the Gardening Club as well."

She moved over to a window sill, lightly pushing herself up to sit on the scant perch. She knew the instructor would direct her to a chair, but for now she could perch as she chose, and she enjoyed the view from the window.

Skye timed matters carefully. She didn’t really want to socialize much with the other students. So when she slipped into the room, she did so with only moments left before the first bell. The pretty teen smiled at those who spoke to her and returned their greetings politely enough, but her heart wasn’t in it. Plus she didn’t go anywhere on break, so she didn’t have anything to tell them when they asked. The break had been good; the headmaster had given Kuromaru the ability to speak again. They’d spent the break talking directly instead of the indirect language of body and eyes they’d had before. It’d left her feeling hopeful, truly hopeful, for the first time since Christmas.

She spotted her roommate and gave Katrina a nod. Skye have been avoiding her roommate since Kat’s return, mostly because Skye had gotten used to not having her around. But she didn’t approach the were-cat, instead easing around the room to slip behind Kyohei. Ignoring the succubi perched on his lap, she murmured in his ear, “Can I talk to you privately later?”

Kyohei took the answer in stride, smiling "Well, welcome to the Academy, I hope you enjoy it here. I certainly have. " He smiled at Siabhra. "We'll have to properly welcome you to the club later then, I think you'll enjoy it, it's unlike any other here at school."

To Skye, he answered, "Okay, when ever you like." even as Miss Nekomone entered and moved to her desk. "Allright everyone settle down, take your seats, we'll put you in your placement for the year."

She got them assigned to their seats and then through the introductions of everyone. It was similar to the previous year but with a good number of new faces. She launched into a recap of the previous year's studies and finished first period out with a reading assignment . Classes continued, with everyone having classes together, though none of their classes before lunch saw them all together again. Lunch break came soon enough, and for that hour everyone was free to do as they wished.

For Kyohei, he ate on the roof, the small lunch he'd prepared for himself that morning.He knew others would show up soon enough or not still he thought about the morning and smiled.

(okay you can all post how your classes went and then what you do for lunch. You don't have to all stay together. After some posting we'll move through the rest of the day.)

"Penny for your thoughts, Kyohei?"

Katrina was on the roof as well. She always was confident in high places, particularly as she stands on a wall's edge, balanced with her supernatural agility.

Her classes were the average fare, she felt she was doing okay, her Japanese catching up to expectations. But lunch time was a combination of lunch and parkour practice... but today, she wanted a break.

She hasn't had a chance to truely socialize with the other students here... and the opportunity has just arised.

"Sorry, I've been practicing my Parkour a bit... doing pull-ups, practicing tumbles, the usual stuff, and the roof is the best place to do it. Didn't realise it was your lunch spot."

It had been cold up to the break, then the weather broke and the roof became a spot to hang out again, and she was glad it was here. Seems she wasn't the only one that loved the roof.

"It belongs to everyone, Katrina, not just me, I just enjoy it because it holds some good memories for me."

He nodded "I'm just thinking about everything that happened last year, and wondering what will come our way, this year."

He seemed abit down still. "Things are going to be more intense, now that everyone is watching."

"Tell me about it."

Katrina sighed, stretching out. "After what I found out when I was in the beast lands... I'm a target."

"Don't know when, and I don't know what their threshold is, but at some point they're gonna come calling because I'm the daughter of a Lion."

"I'm getting ready. Not to run, but to fight. From what I've seen... they might not care about collateral. Quite honestly I like being here... I'd rather not see them again. But I think I've stepped into some deep political doo-doo I just can't clean off my feet."

She sighed. "I hope you guys got it just as rough... because right now I'm feeling like I've got this target on my back."

"Just makes me more motivated though."

Darrik would have wished to have reached the roof by now, but unfortunately, even with shadowstepping, he had found himself at the end of a long line, and still he was nowhere near the front and the food. And he knew better than to expect being able to cut ahead at all.

He frowned and patiently cooled his heels.

Darrik didn't feel it until her arm moved around him. "Good Afternoon Darrik." It was Jezebel. "I've finished class for today, so I thought I'd come see if this was your lunch period." She didn't kiss him, though she did press against him. "We have some things to talk about. Come with me."

Her tone brooked no argument, and She led him out of line, over to one of the areas of the cafeteria where no one was around. The Twin Nekojin that had been with Jez when he showed up during the outbreak, that they'd both had fun with, were there with box lunches. "They both made them for you. You should at least eat theirs as opposed to the Cafeteria food."

The two Girls, Hazuki and Minazuki both set down boxes for him, as Jez sat next to him. "Darrik, we're sorry..." The taller one, Hazuki sniffed as she revealed her meal, a delicious looking sashimi dish.

"We didn't mean for it to happen." Minazuki nearly sobbed. Her dish was some riceballs with a naranji flavored sweetbun.

They both looked at him. "You're going to be a father, Darrik."

Jezebel obviously knew, and she just looked at him, inscrutable look on her face. It wasn't something she liked, but she had played a part in this as well. The three women waited to hear his thoughts on the matter now, and how he'd respond.

-------

On the roof Kyohei sighed. "I hope they don't, Katrina. It's never good to wish ill upon friends. we all have our burdens to bear. With any luck, we have friends to help us shoulder them."

He looked down. "Even when we can't talk about them."

"You misunderstood, Kyohei, I was hoping I wasn't the only one that has messed up somewhere..."

She ruffled her long blonde hair, looking down at the school. "I really, really shouldn't think that my problems are exclusive, I suppose."

She sits on the ledge near Kyohei. "I just got one friend, really... and she shares in the pain."

She stops for a moment, controlling her anger. What the Panther King did... to Skye and Kuro-san...

Kyradathea studied the newcomer for a long moment, as the rest of her friends made her welcome, Natsuko was interesting, there was something about her that made the dragon princess see some kinship, but she was definitely not a dragon. She turned her attention elsewhere while the class continued, paying attention to her work for a time but she let her senses tap into her deeper powers, and after the class suddenly she blinked and turned back to the other girl.

"You are Fire!! A flame elemental?!? How wonderful!" The red fire dragon was actually rather pleased, she wondered if she could learn anything more about flame and fire that she didn't already know from the fire elemental. Of course, she knew a lot about flame, and her fire magic had reached whole new levels after her various experiences at the school and a bit of study with her mother and father over the break.

Siabhra went through the motions of her classes, as she had for years now. She paid enough attention not to get into trouble and to be able to finish her assignments. She spent the rest of the time doodling in her notebooks because that was more interesting. Come lunch time, she gathered up a tray full of juices and headed outside. She shed her human guise just long enough to flutter up to the edge of the cafeteria roof, selecting a relatively empty stretch of the ledge, and folded herself back up into her wing-less appearance.

She opened one of her juices and sipped at it, wondering if this year might prove more interesting than the previous ones. She'd always managed to skirt the edges of the "happenings" at the school - a move of both prudence and situation. This winter break had been different and it had felt....fun. Dangerous and intriguing, like home had been before she'd made The Mistake and been exiled to this silly school. She sighed as she admitted that she would not have made The Mistake had she had the kind of education provided here, but still. She missed the courts and all the deadly politics that had kept her entertained before. Perhaps if she found a way to provoke one of the dragons without it being traced back to her.......

She finished her first juice and proceeded to the next one, drinking the sweet fruit and nectar while she pondered further.

"Breaking human form is against the rules here," commented a voice behind Siabhra. Not within reach, but not so far that it had to raise above conversational level.

One of the girls from class was there in the shade near one of the big air conditioning units, the quiet one named Aria. She was pale skinned and slim almost to the point of skinniness, and dressed in a black skirt and charcoal grey blouse under the standard school blazer. Gothy maybe, or knowing the campus, a real vampire?

"The students won't care," she went on, "But if a teacher or administrator catches you, you could get in a bit of trouble. And something tells me you're in enough of that as it is."

"I haven't seen many fey here before. I suppose a structured environment is a bit...contrary to their natures. Except the high sidhe, but they have their own way of learning. Usually."

"So it's nice to have you. What do you think of our school so far?"

"I have been here six years," Siabhra commented with a dry, wry tone. "The staff and instructors are well-trained now that a momentary change of form is hardly a matter worth commenting on. At least for me." She conceded the last bit easily, knowing that others did not take the time to train those "in charge" of the school as well as she did. Or, as the goth-dressed girl had commented, gotten in enough 'trouble' for. She also knew that she had not been as social as most of the other students, so her presence was not as well-known as perhaps would have been expected.

"So far, I think the school is an odd idea, not nearly as safe as it is touted to be, and can be an amusing diversion, but usually is only rarely." She motioned for the girl to come closer, the closest to an offer to share lunch as any stranger was likely to get from the Leanansidhe. "And you? What do you think of your school so far?"

Darrik at first was smiling as Jez found him, but then was wondering why she seemed so cool in demeanor. At first he had thought it nice to see Hanzuki and Minazuki, but their sorrow and upset made him frown, as he tried to figure out what was the matter -

"You're going to be a father, Darrik."

Wait, what? Darrik blinked, and then wondered what that clunking sound was and why the twins were rising. Then he realized he had fallen off his seat somehow. Immediately, he rose. "I'm fine, I'm fine."

Okay, no, he wasn't. How did... then he remembered that he'd forgotten to use condoms for once in the rush and distraction of the outbreak chaos. That... had been foolishness of the first order. "Well, I don't see why you should be sorry. It's me, who's at fault. Both of you?"

They nodded. Darrik looked down, and decided to at least try their food and help alleviate their feelings that way. He picked up a piece of fish and took a small bite of it. "I guess I should ask. Who knows? And what would be your parents' stance on this, when they learn?"

He knew what his mother would say, and his grandfather.

Kyohei chose to remain silent, there was little left to say, as he finished eating his meal.

For Darrik it was a pleasant surprise to find the fish was very tasty. His acceptance brightened their moods considerably. "We've only told you and Jezebel, we wanted to tell you first, so if you wanted we could work together to break it to our families." Hazuki smiled. "Our parents will be upset and disappointed with us, but still there's little they can do, now. they won't dare harm you."

Minazuki chuckled. "Okay well Daddy might, but nothing permanent." She waited for him to try hers.

Jezebel sighed. "Honestly, you were supposed to wait till after we both graduated for this milestone Darrik." She put an arm around him. "Still, I can share you." She looked to the twins. "Provided we all don't mind sharing."

Archived