Mutants & Masterminds: Divine Intervention - Divine Intervention (M&M3e)

Sandman XI

I'm looking to make a non-linear powered person game. There will be plot points. There will be bad guys. Though the "driving" so to speak, will be done by characters.

The premise of this game is that you guys are born of a Greek diety and a mortal. Yes, the Greek dieties still exist. Yes there is an Olympus, Hades, Elysium, and all that jazz. You will be the good guys. This being Greek inspired, the setting will be greyscale. Heroes have faults. I'm not saying you have to be a terrible monster, just have a story more than "oh my god i have powers, let me throw myself in front of danger!"

A minor conceit of your stories. You were raised on earth by your mortal parent. Your godly parent was busy being a god and all. That doesn't mean they didn't care about you. In fact some of them might have kept in touch. Just trying to keep you all in one plane :P

You will have 200 points to build your character. I'm not saying you have to build PL10 (though that is the limit), just remember the epicness of the Greek deity opposition.

Removable is not a flaw, easily removeable is -1.

Any questions?

I'm undecided on deific parent, but it's a three-way pull between Hades, Artemis & Athena. Gonna have to decide, then hammer out the problems inherent in any of them having a child out of wedlock (or even a child to begin with in the ladies' case).

Following a twisting mental train of thought I've arrived at trying to pull off (due to artificial nature of conception) "sired" by both Athena and Artemis on a mortal woman. Gonna have to work on details though.

"Heather has three mommies."

I've decided I will wait on joining. I just can't wring a character out right now from my head.

I've decided I will just need a few days to build and have a background. This really is just the formative phase of the game.

Sylvester Normanson, by the way, Son of Hephaestus

Can I do someone born of a mortal-turned-immortal and a god? Who is then born mortal themselves and for some reason left to grow up in the mortal realm?

I'm thinking of a child of Eros and Psyche, who would have a divine sister but he himself was either cursed or something and inherited power but Psyche's original mortality. ....and for some reason nothing could or would be done about it. Perhaps a bitchy thing Aphrodite did because Hedone (their daughter) had more worship or attention at some point and she didn't want another child of Psyche showing her up just as the mortal princess once had.

Just a thought and I can come up with something else if it's too 'special snowflake'.

Some advice on this background, both in terms of tightening it and some GM advice on the side:

I was thinking where Sylvester always thought of himself as just a really smart kid in his youth, then on his 16th year, his Mother dies in a car accident, drawing his father out. Since she was the only person in Hephaestus' life that loved him for the man he was. So out of guilt he reveals to Sylvester who he truely is.

Unimpressed, and like any hot-headed 16 year old, he rejects his father and goes to live with his Aunt and Uncle in New York.

All Hephaestus wants is to know his son, and all Sylvester wants is to deal with his now messed-up life and his own issues.

Then the craziness of being a hero adds to this whole ball of wax.

This is what I'm thinking so far.

Note: Picture is a place-holder. Going to find something better for him.

In comparison to the relatively young folks in the group, Kal "Praxis" Eason is a ridiculously old man. In divine company, what little he says about his age shows him to be at least 60, even though he only looks to be 30 at the absolute oldest, and even then, some of the things he says about events even further in the past sometimes bring both of these into question.

For the past 25 years, Praxis has been competing as a professional wrestler, his inhuman charisma and abilities to sell a move elevated him to the top of the industry fairly quickly. When the Divine became well known, he was one of the pioneers of the Divine League and has since become a legend in the business, being able now to exert his full athletic capabilities against his peers and hold his own with a microphone like few in the world.

Other high points and notable tidbits of information that could be considered relevant is that he has sired at least one confirmed Divine and that he has made use of his fame and his financial clout to be vocal spokesman and defender of all but the most egregious acts of the Divine community. It is said with some accuracy that certain members of the media are hesitant to criticize all but the most unquestionably horrific Divine acts out of concern that Praxis may appear on the public forum and eviscerate them (Verbally, that is)

Planning to join in, with a daughter of Hermes. Looking at a portal-caster/speedster type of concept here. By day she's an international traveling photographer/blogger. I haven't decided on an age yet, though it'll be young-ish. I'm thinking early twenties - maybe 21 or so. She's got a good relationship with Dad, much to her mother's irritation. She was the result of a one-night fling during her mother's "big hurrah, fuck-all" pre-law school European trip. (Just goes to show that big hurrah's are always a big mistake! Not that she doesn't love her daughter, but she was on birth control, damnit!).

Noted things

• Modern day New York, 2012
  • The Olympian religions still exist, there are shrines to various gods and goddess in various places
  • Other religions exist, though they're cults (power grabs from the gods) or just different cultures telling different stories
  • Christianity happened, it just "went through the motions". A guy with some awesome ideas and creative writers died for his beliefs. (Was he a demigod? Was he a mortal? Unanswered)
  • There are other demigods out there and through history, Our batch just happens to be the strongest yet
  • Characters have to be age 18 or better
  • We don't have to hit PL 10 with all of our points, but the opposition will be "epic"
  • Greyscale superhero setting. There are heroes and villains. (Spandex? Leather? Latex? Unanswered)
  • No time travel or dimensional travel (and not to speak for the GM, but I think space travel is probably off the table also)

Characters

• Kal Eason (Ares)
    • Moira Eason (Aphrodite)
    • Darrik Reynolds (Aphrodite)
    • Puck (Eros/Psyche)
    • Sylvester Normanson (Hephestus)
    • Coraline (Eris)
    • Maia (Zeus)
    • Kylie (Hermes)
    • Heather (Artemis/Athena)
    • Marina (Poseidon)
    • Kristen (Hercules)
    • Did I miss anything, Sandman?

Character sheets are coming in nice. We'll be starting after the new year. Maybe a week after it. Give people some time to wind down. Also, I enjoy the enthusiasm for this game. We have 11 so far. I think I can take one more. Two groups of six and that's it.

Any questions or suggestions? Ask here. Ask in chat. Just ask :D

I'm in to the happy medium between the two. To be honest what the person wears becomes what is associated with them. Also with the gadgets and stuff I've designed, Sly is more utilitarian than wanting to show off.

To be honest, capes are a liability. So are trenchcoats. Then again, I hate to say it but I took a page from the Iron Age and went more tactical at least for one of Sly's gadgets.

If anything, the overall "look" of the game should be more dictated by how the characters do things than some heavy-handed enforcement of the look. I mean if the character is a bit of a comic book addict and chooses to wear tights and a cape, god bless him. I think the look of our characters should be in our hands, as well as the consequences of our choice. Well, at least in how others see our character.

Okay, how about this... dress like a weirdo and get treated as such? I mean if there was one thing that annoyed me about Kick-Ass was the fact that all those grown-ups and kids dressed like your classic superhero look... and after the initial shock people accepted it? Sorry... I would at least hope that I would have a logical social reason not to wear my gear unless I was absolutely doing something that needed it.

Nevermind the legalities. I mean think about it, we're in New York City, one of the most security-minded places on the planet. Anyone wearing a mask would be stopped by no fewer than 4 cops trained in anti-terrorism, probably with M-16s. Just think of the reaction if you were in tights and were calling yourself "Mr. Justice" or some rot.

I mean, don't go the iron age route with all the tacticool, but I think being utilitarian is good, and so is just dressing for action. If you're going to be fighting in the rain, dress to the occasion. If you're wearing a wet-suit you'd better be working int he water or you're gonna get laughed at. Then again the concept of the look of Sly's suit is a motorcycle suit and helmet, so... well he's got money he probably owns a few motorcycles. Then again his motorcycle suit can be worn in space (if we ever had to go there).

Jeeze... dufflebags are gonna be useful in this game...

Archived