[Pathfinder / Freeform] Dragons with Ambition

Nyrath

Alright, this is an idea that's been simmering in my head for a while as I've hammered out a few lumps in it (mixing metaphors, but who cares).

In this you, or whoever takes up the reins as players, are dragons. Young adult dragons of (probably) various breeds that is. Born with perhaps somewhat undragonlike drives and ambitions you've achieved unusual heights of power for your age and now that you've left the nest a tidy little hoard too. But there is this drive to achieve more. Humans, more than any other race, have shown what such drive can achieve with individuals reaching never before seen heights of power, renown and wealth. And they're paltry little mortals at that. With your draconic heritage surely you can easily achieve similar heights?

I intend to use the Pathfinder rules as a framework for this, but don't expect much in the way of number crunching in game. Fluff and story shall reign over crunch and rules. Kingdoms of Kalamar is the intended setting, starting year is 533 Imperial Reckoning (aka 1014 Year of the King / 714 Year of New Discovery / 344 Coming of Miznoh / 389 Fhokki Calender / aka 30 years before the standard starting date).

Character creation; bare bones version (subject to alteration later on as I fill stuff out, and in case people have some insightful opinions). I will happily help out if asked.

You're all 75 year old (i.e Young Adult) dragons, so race choices are basically dragon breeds, more on that in a moment.

25 points point buy

Pick a dragon breed, particularly note base CR. Add 7 to that number. Then stack templates & class levels on top of that until you reach 16.

The Advanced template is not available for purchase, though I'm debating just handing it too you for free actually.

Unlike what the Bestiary says I'm considering all classes as being worth 1/2 a CR for this purpose. Except Sorcerer, which hits 1 CR / lvl after effective (i.e with dragon spellcasting) level 10. You may opt to divorce your class based sorcery from your draconic one, which lifts even this limit.

All breeds get to pick cleric spells as arcane spells for spells known.

Starting treasure is 75 000 gp, roughly divided as follows. 15 000 or so (at least) in coinage, trade bars, gems and jewelry (you're frickin' dragons, you need at least a small hoard). 15 000, roughly, in mundane non-magical but still valuable stuff. Art, arms & armour, trade-goods, paid for services and similar (not all of a hoard is magic or glitter). 20 000 or so in magical items of no direct use for you (a ring of fire protection isn't much use to a red dragon, nor is a great-sword to one with no proficiency in it), this is basically loot and/or treasure. The remaining 25 000 (or so) is free to be spent however you want, probably on magic which can directly benefit you. (This by the way adds up to what a CR 16 dragon should have as an NPC according to the rules, you're free to do anything you can to bust those limits once in the game).

Whites get a +2 on all mental stats compared to the baseline.

Periphery house-rule

Spears can be wielded one-handed as martial weapons (similar to how bastard swords do the exotic/martial split)

Tired now, will look this over again tomorrow.

Setting specific stuff

Languages: Common=Merchant's Tongue, Goblin is split into Goblin & Hobgoblin (which has strongly divergent dialects), Elven comes in Low & High flavours (High Elven is never taught to non-elves), humans speak such varied tongues as Brandobian, Kalamaran, Fhokki, Reanaarian, the various Dejy languages and Svimohzish depending on culture & nationality.

You'll get one local language (which one depend on starting location) as a bonus language, so don't sweat that too hard if your don't know the setting.

I would need lots of help with chargen (I have the Pathfinder corebook and APG, but no other books) and know damn near nothin' about Kalamar, other than it seems like a cool setting, so I would need a little hand-holding. Other than those caveats, I'm very intrigued by this concept.

Interested too... need help to sort through options and know nothing of the setting. I have Pathfinder Core, and the SRD.

My concept so far is a male Green dragon who is seeking to establish his own empire... probably dividing class levels between Monk and Sorceror.

Well, as said I'm happy to help. I know an excellent starting position for you at least. The Brindonwood and those areas near it that lie unclaimed by any "civilized" nation offers various orc, goblin, wild & wood elf and human tribes along with the independent (and not particularly large) city of Shynabyth that is famous for its wine. Oh, and hills so packed with worgs no nation or tribe has managed to lay claim to them, spiders the size of elephants and a goblin kingdom that sees itself as strong enough to go up against a tribe of orcs that can field over ten thousand warriors.

That's only one option of course, we'll talk about such details later I'm sure.

Ny, do you have the Advanced Player's Guide? I was looking at the alternate class abilities for bards, and the Archivist template on page 80 looks tailor-made for my dragon, assuming you're okay with it.

Also where would be a good region for her to be from? I was thinking her lair would be up in the mountains near a country that is considered very civilized and educated, with lots of libraries, universities and such for her to peruse in her assumed humanoid identities.

Interested.

I've wanted to try something like this since I saw the old Council of Wyrms boxed set.

I'll crunch concepts and get back to you with more.

Looking at a gold dragon right now...one that is focusing on magical abilities; a sorceror.

Ny, do you have the Advanced Player's Guide? I was looking at the alternate class abilities for bards, and the Archivist template on page 80 looks tailor-made for my dragon, assuming you're okay with it.

Also where would be a good region for her to be from? I was thinking her lair would be up in the mountains near a country that is considered very civilized and educated, with lots of libraries, universities and such for her to peruse in her assumed humanoid identities.

I do indeed have the Advanced Player's Guide and I am okay with you using that template As you say, it looks tailor made for it.

And I do have a place in mind. The Elenon Mountain Range, putting you in its southern reaches nets you access to the Kingdom of Mendarn, southern Eldor (both former parts of the Brandobian Empire, the oldest still going human "civilization") and Dijishy, City of History (on opposite side of the range) which has the largest and oldest library in the world. Flying north across Eldor would take you to Cosdol, which has a high elven population, and the Lendelwood which hosts an elven kingdom. Unfortunately the south houses Pel Brolenon, the Theocracy of the Tyrant of Tellene (god of slavery), so not all neighbors are to be counted for the good (and the Eldorans are stuck-up, bigoted, arrogant bastards).

Yeah, that location sounds perfect; I wonder if I can pick up some Kalamar books for cheap, since it was a 3.0 setting, wasn't it?

the dragons physical stats change in a polymorphed form? I'm pretty sure that the mental stats carry over, but I imagine some sort of reduction occurs, at the very least to Strength. Also I'm AC bonus due to size and natural armor goes bye-bye.

Yeah, that location sounds perfect; I wonder if I can pick up some Kalamar books for cheap, since it was a 3.0 setting, wasn't it?

the dragons physical stats change in a polymorphed form? I'm pretty sure that the mental stats carry over, but I imagine some sort of reduction occurs, at the very least to Strength. Also I'm AC bonus due to size and natural armor goes bye-bye.

Probably, or you might be able to score the 4th Ed versions (almost the same, apart from some rule bits).

As for stat changes, yeah you loose your natural armour bonus, and the size penalty, but you only loose the size modifiers to strength and con (and dex, but that's net gain). For example, a huge dragon shifting to human size would loose 8 str & 4 con but gain 4 dex (see pages 211-212 of the core book, detailing Polymorph effects).

By my reading, they retain most of their racial abilities too...their keen senses, breath weapon, DR and SR and so on...

I have a notion my dragon has spent a lot of time studying magic as a humanoid. Dragons often know a lot about magic, but they don't freely share knowledge the way humanoid races do, and they don't do as much original research. My dragon is keen on innovation...that's what keeps him from sleepin' on the hoard.

Looking at Arcane Bloodline sorcery with an improved familiar (the celestial cat one; the agathion) and perhaps even Leadership if you permit it. My plan is not to use Leadership to gain combat friends, but rather to represent a network of contacts and agents along with a trusted lieutenant who's aware of his nature and can help look after the lair while he's out and about.

Oh, and a question about starting CR and levels.

A young adult gold dragon is CR 14, caster level 5.

If read your post correctly, that means I can add up to 4 caster levels as a sorceror with each level counting as 1/2 a CR, yes? Thus he'd wind up being a level 4 sorceror (total of 20 hit dice; 16 dragon, 4 sorceror) with caster level 9, and CR 16?

By my reading, they retain most of their racial abilities too...their keen senses, breath weapon, DR and SR and so on...

I have a notion my dragon has spent a lot of time studying magic as a humanoid. Dragons often know a lot about magic, but they don't freely share knowledge the way humanoid races do, and they don't do as much original research. My dragon is keen on innovation...that's what keeps him from sleepin' on the hoard.

Looking at Arcane Bloodline sorcery with an improved familiar (the celestial cat one; the agathion) and perhaps even Leadership if you permit it. My plan is not to use Leadership to gain combat friends, but rather to represent a network of contacts and agents along with a trusted lieutenant who's aware of his nature and can help look after the lair while he's out and about.

Oh, and a question about starting CR and levels.

A young adult gold dragon is CR 14, caster level 5.

If read your post correctly, that means I can add up to 4 caster levels as a sorceror with each level counting as 1/2 a CR, yes? Thus he'd wind up being a level 4 sorceror (total of 20 hit dice; 16 dragon, 4 sorceror) with caster level 9, and CR 16?

As both breath weapons and keen senses rely on your draconic physique as much as anything else you loose them in a bog-standard shift (might be able to develop something which lets you retain more of your abilities though) but DR & SR stick around no matter your shape.

Nothing against the Leadership feat from my end.

And you are correct as regards the CR & lvls question.

Erasador

Male Green Dragon: Monk 5, Sorcerer 5 (CR 16)

Lawful Evil Huge Dragon

Init +2; Senses Perception +, Darkvision 120 feet, Blindsense 60 feet

DEFENSE

AC: 31, touch 15, flat-footed 29 (+16 natural, +2 Dex, -2 Size, +4 Monk Wis, +1 Monk Bonus)

HP: 246

Fort +19, Ref +15, Will +20

OFFENSE

Speed: Land 50 ft, Swim 40 ft, Fly 200 ft

Melee: Bite +24, 2d8+12

2 Claws +24, 2d6+8

2 Wings +24, 1d8+4

Tail Slap +24, 2d6+12

Crush, 2d8+12 (Reflex DC 27 to avoid)

Ranged:

Special Attacks: Breath Weapon 50-foot cone, 10d6 acid (Reflex DC 27 to halve)

Spells Known (Caster Level 8)

4th - Greater Invisibility (4 spells per day)

3rd - Summon Monster III, Dispel Magic (5 spells per day)

2nd - Whispering Wind, Mirror Image, Detect Thoughts (7 spells per day)

1st - Shocking Grasp, Color Spray, Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Cause Fear (7 spells per day)

0th - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ray of Frost, Daze, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Disrupt Undead, Open/Close (Unlimited spells per day)

Spell Save DCs – 14+spell level

Spell-like Abilities (Caster Level 23)

Entangle, Charm Presence (At-Will)

STATISTICS

Str 27 (+8) Dex 14 (+2) Con 22 (+6) Int 18 (+4) Wis 19 (+4) Cha 18 (+4)

Base Atk: +18; CMB +24; CMD 41

Feats: Weapon Proficency (Monk Weapons), Stunning Fist, Improved Unarmed Strike, Throw Anything, Improved Grapple, Eschew Materials, Leadership, Combat Casting, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Intimidating Prowess, Vital Strike, Critical Focus, [6 extra Feats]

Skills: [Dragon racial: 13x10=130] [Monk 5: 5x8=40] [sorceror 5: 5x6=30]

Special Qualities: Flurry of Blows (+3/+3), Stunning Fist (4th level), Unarmed Strike, Evasion, Fast Movement +10 feet, Maneuver Training, Still Mind, Ki Pool (Magic), Slow Fall 20 feet, High Jump, Purity of Body, Eschew Materials, Cantrips

Racial Traits: Dragon Sense, Frightful Presence 150 ft, Spell Resistance 27, Immunity to Sleep, Paralysis and Acid, Water Breathing, Woodland Stride, Spell-like Abilities

Languages: Common, (4 bonus languages) [TBD]

Treasures: [TBD]

Weight Carried (0-346/347-693/694-1040): lb. [TBD]

Work in progress here, but now I can edit it and tinker with it no matter where I go. Yay!

Macrisse

Huge Young Adult Gold Dragon

Hit Dice: Dragon 16 / Sorceror 4

Str 30 17+12+1 (1)

Dex 14 14-4+4 (5)

Con 22 15+6+1 (1)

Int 20 14+4

Wis 20 15+4+1 (1)

Cha 28 14+4+8 (17)

BAB +18

HP: 233

SalmonMax *rolls* 16d12: 3+4+12+11+8+2+2+8+1+1+7+1+2+11+8+8: 89

SalmonMax *rolls* 4d6: 5+1+4+5: 15

[salmonMax] 3:13 pm: Hm. First one is maxed though...

AC: 30 (8 + 2 dex + 19 natural +1 deflection), Touch AC 11

CMB +30

CMD +42

Init: +2

Fort: +18, Ref +14, Will +20

Speed: 60' swim 60' fly 250' poor

Dragon Race Traits

Breath Weapon (Su), 50' cone, fire 10d10 or weakness 5, Ref DC 24 for half

Dragon Senses (Ex): Dragons have darkvision 120 ft. and blindsense 60 ft. 4x normal sight in dim light, 2x normal in normal light.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A dragon's frightful presence has a range equal to 30 feet × the dragon's age category, starting at Adult

Spell-Like Abilities: A dragon's caster level for its spell-like abilities is equal to its total Hit Dice.

Damage Reduction: DR 5/magic. Natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Immunities (Ex): Every dragon is immune to sleep and paralysis. Immune to Fire.

Spell Resistance (Ex): A dragon's SR is equal to 11 + its CR. (27)

Change Shape 3/day (as Polymorph, into any humanoid or animal)

Detect Evil at will

Detect Gems 3/day (as Locate Object, but only for gems)

Bless at will

Fast Flight (fly speed calculated at one age category higher)

Sorceror Features

Eschew Materials

Cantrips

Arcane Bloodline

Arcana: Spell DC increases by 1 when cast with metamagic raising its level by at least 1, other than Heighten Spell.

Bonus Spells: Identify

Powers:

- Arcane Bond

- Metamagic Adept

Traits

Feats

1 Scholar (Arcana, Nature)

3 Flyby Attack

5 Multiattack

7 Improved Familiar

9 Leadership

11 Improved Share Spells

13 Vital Strike

15 Spell Penetration

17 Piercing Spell

19 Expanded Arcana

Skills

Appraise +15 (10 + 5 int)

Bluff +20 (11 + 9 cha)

Craft: Alchemy +18 (10 + 5 int)

Diplomacy +24 (15 + 9 cha)

Fly +14 (20 + 2 dex -4 poor manuevering, -4 size)

Heal +10 (5 + 5 wis)

Knowledge: Arcana +23 (16 + 5int + 2 feat)

Knowledge: Nature +22 (15 + 5int + 2 feat)

Knowledge: Planes +16 (11 + 5 int)

Knowledge: History +22 (12 + 5int +5 item)

Linguistics +10 (5 + 5 int)

Perception +25 (20 + 5 wis)

Sense Motive +19 (14 + 5 wis)

Spellcraft +25 (20 + 5 int)

Survival +10 (5 + 5 wis)

Swim +23 (5 + 10 str + 8 racial speed)

Use Magic Device +19 (10 + 9 cha)

Profession

Spellcasting (Sorceror CL 9 (11 vs SR), Base DC 19)

Slots: 1 - 6/6, 2 - 6/6, 3 - 6/6, 4 - 4/4

0 - Drench, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation

1 - Shield, Mage Armor, Identify, Magic Missile, Feather Fall, Burning Disarm

2 - See Invisible, Invisibility, Align Weapon, Resist Enegy

3 - Heroism, Dispel Magic, Cure Serious Wounds, Cloak of Winds, Battering Blast

4 - Dragon'S Breath, Resilient Sphere

Equipment

Money: 800gp

Hoard

- 15,000 coinage

- 15,000 art

- 20,000 unused magic

Weapon

Bite, +26, 2d8+15, 15' reach

Claws (2), +26, 2d6+10, 10' reach

Wings (2), +23, 1d8+5, 10' reach

Tail Slap, +23, 2d6+15, 10' reach

Crush 2d8+15, vs Small or smaller, Ref DC 24 to avoid pinning

Armor

None

Gear

Headband of Mental Prowess (Cha, Int) +2, 10,000

Ring of Sustenance, 2500

Scholar's Ring, 8700

Cloak of Resistance +1, 1000

Ring of Protection +1, 2000

Familiar

Name here

Silvanshee Agathion

NG Tiny outsider (agathion, extraplanar, good)

Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +25

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, +2 size)

hp 116

Fort +11, Ref +12, Will +11; +4 vs. poison

DR 5/evil or silver; Immune electricity, petrification; Resist cold 10, sonic 10; SR 13

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft. (good)

Melee bite +24 (1d3–4), 2 claws +24 (1d2–4)

Space 5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.

Special Attacks heroic strength, pounce

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 2nd; concentration +3)

Constant--know direction, speak with animals

At will--dancing lights, prestidigitation, stabilize

1/day--dimension door (self plus 5 lbs. of objects only)

1/week--commune (6 questions, CL 12th)

STATISTICS

Str 3, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 13

Base Atk +18; CMB +12; CMD 14 (18 vs. trip)

Feats Improved Initiative, Weapon FinesseB

Skills Acrobatics +11, Climb +7, Fly +26, Knowledge (arcana) +16, Knowledge (planes) +11, Perception +25, Stealth +19;

Racial Modifiers +4 Acrobatics, +4 Perception, +4 Stealth

Languages Celestial, Draconic, Infernal; speak with animals, truespeech

SQ cat’s luck, flight, lay on hands (1d6, 1/day, always as a 2nd-level paladin), spectral mist

I found the stats for a young adult silver dragon on the OGC: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon/metallic-silver/silver-dragon-young-adult

In chat you said if I went for straight bard it would be level 6, correct? And you gave me the stat adjustments Str +14, Dex +0, Con +8, Int +8, Wis +8, Cha +8. Based on 25 build points, Raxophea's stats are as follows:

Str 22

Dex 16

Con 20

Int 22

Wis 18

Cha 24

Do we roll for HD, or take average?

Heritage *rolls* 12d12: 6+7+8+5+2+8+10+12+6+12+10+2+5: 93

Heritage *rolls* 6d8: 2+2+1+7+1+3+5: 21

[Heritage] 2:54 pm: can I get a witness? (amen!)

[Nyrath] 2:54 pm: Witnessed

Okay, so I didn't know the die roller only adds the +5 (for CON bonus) once, so let's see what I should actually have for Roxophea:

For the dragon HD, I add +55 for the other 11 HD, plus a maxed d12 for first dragon level, which gets me 160.

Then add +25 for the other 5 levels of bard for a total of 185. This may be the first bard to actually survive contact with the enemy!

I'm interested in this. Funny you should post the game idea. I am about to start playing in a Pathfinder table top in which I'm thinking of playing a psionicist who will be prestige classing as a Body Snatcher whose ultimate goal will be to steal a dragon's body. :evil:

If there is still room, I'd like to join in. I'll need to look over the dragon types though and get back with you about what type.

If I saw correctly you already have Gold, Silver and Green spoken for.

Hmm

I'm actually starting to lean towards Bronze. I want to emphasize spellcasting a bit more than a gold dragon can...and Bronzes are still fairly powerful, and have the shapechanging power I covet. A good balance. I can wring caster level 11 out of one, as opposed to just 9 from a gold.

The gold is stronger and has more dragon hit dice...tougher armor, it's a good choice for a dragon 'warrior.' But since I want something more magely...

Yeah. Think I'm gonna go bronze.

My wife is going into the hospital tonight to hopefully deliver the twins. So I'm not sure what my access will be over the next couple days, so it may take a bit for me to put together a character. For the moment I will probably go with the Gold very similar to what Smax proposed, but it won't have the same focus and background concept of what he was suggesting.

Okay, making major progress on my silver (228 skill points spent!), but I still have a bit of work to do, mostly feats; Rax is 13 HD and 6th level bard, so is that the same number as a 19th level character, or do I based in on CR 16? She's got 10 feats if the former and 8 if the latter, I believe.

Also still got to choose spells and equipment (oy!). I do love this character, though; a dragon with Prof: Librarian and Scribe both at +15? I love it!

I'm being a bit lazy perhaps in simply copying & pasting this but I'll be damned if I type it out by hand needlessly. So, here, enjoy some setting info. First up; the humans.

THE HUMAN MIGRATION

Scholars often refer to the Svimohzish Isle as the Cradle of

Civilization because today’s civilized humans descended from the

Isle’s original inhabitants. The name is a misnomer, however, because

millennia before the humans of the Isle ever formed the rudimentary

elements of organized society, many great humanoid civilizations had

risen and fallen on the main continent. Additionally, many sages

believe that ample evidence exists of one or more great Dejy (human)

empires in several areas of continental Tellene, predating any migration

from the Cradle of Civilization.

The early human clans who lived on the Svimohzish Isle practiced

simple hunting and gathering of the resources on their bountiful

island. They lived on Svimohzia happily until certain tribes migrated

away from the Isle. Today, sages disagree as to whether the tribesmen

were pushed out over time due to overpopulation or left voluntarily

due to food shortages, plague, pestilence, war, fire or some other

trouble. In any case, whether it was, in fact, none or all of those

catastrophes, whatever plagues had befallen the tribesmen came and

went over the course of centuries. During each of the periodic disturbances,

different tribes ventured across what is believed to be a land

bridge that once or periodically rose from the waves to connect the

Isle of Svimohzia to the main continent. The simple clansmen that

crossed the bridge to finally reach the wetlands of the Alubelok

Swamp were certainly greeted with an amazing assortment of plant

and animal life. They more than likely found an abundance of wild

rice and edible berries growing, large quantities of wild honey and

flocks of waterfowl that could be easily captured.

BRANDOBIANS TODAY

The stereotypical Brandobians have brown hair, brown eyes and

fair skin. Today, their hair ranges from sandy blonde to nearly black,

and their skin is fair to medium in tone. Their eyes are still largely the

same, ranging only from brown to black. They tend to be shorter and

slighter than the other human races.

Brandobians today have the least contact with other races. They

have several cultural curiosities not found in other lands. They are

not affectionate people in public and generally prefer to keep contact

with others to a minimum. Brandobians bury their dead face down or

cut off a foot to prevent the dead from rising as undead.

The Brandobian language is used in their lands, colonies, including

Miclenon, and many former colonies such as Alnarma, Vrandol and

along the Elos coast. (Prompeldians now use Kalamaran or the

Merchant’s Tongue). The colonies like to accent it with their own

spellings, pronunciations, and words, but continental Brandobians

resist changing the language in any way. A few humanoids in the

Young Kingdoms still understand some Brandobian, but they do not

often speak it; after all, over 500 years has passed since the establishment

of Eastern Brandobia. Despite the passage of time, there are still

a few villages in the Young Kingdoms, especially north of P’Bapar,

that speak a dialect of Brandobian because they were bypassed or for

some reason never occupied by the Kalamarans.

FHOKKI TODAY

Fhokki have blonde hair, pale skin, and blue eyes. Due to sharing

land with the Dejy for untold generations, brown eyes and slightly

darker skin are now common as well, and blonde is no longer the only

hair color. Those who lived in O’Par or Dodera before the Kalamarans

drove them out might show some red hair; a reminder of their oppressors.

Fhokki tend to be the tallest of the human races, and in areas of

pure Fhokki, a man under six and a half feet tall is rare. Men consider

beards a mark of adulthood and only the very old or certain priests

may shave theirs without inviting ridicule.

Fhokki are a vibrant people. They love to laugh, love, and fight.

With this aggressive personality matched to a large frame, the effect

shocks the peace-loving or the cultured. Fhokki prefer simple log

homes large enough for their extended family. They prefer working

with their hands, and many Fhokki distrust wizards or scholars.

Fhokki burn their dead on great pyres with the possessions that best

represented that person’s life and desires.

The Fhokki language is surprisingly intact from ancient days,

despite only recent adoption of quill and paper. Loremasters among

the people painted onto stone or tree bark and have only used ink for

the last hundred years or so. Fhokki is spoken in the lands of Jorakk,

along the banks of the Jorakk River and in Skarrna, although its runes

appear across the Wild Lands and as far South as Dodera.

KALAMARANS TODAY

The ancient Kalamarans had red hair, with occasional browns and

blondes. Their skin was olive in color, and their eyes were blue, hazel,

or gray. Today, however, because the mighty Kalamaran Empire

touched all human races, the diversity among them is great. Every

combination of skin tone, hair and eye coloration, as well as build, can

be found among the Kalamaran populace. Only the nobility, who

marry chiefly among themselves, retain the classic red hair with any

frequency. Their size varies greatly, with the tallest people in the

north and the shortest to the west.

The Kalamaran language is spoken throughout Kalamar and the

remaining elements of the former Empire. It is the native tongue of

the inhabitants of the Young Kingdoms, even those who might be of

Brandobian lineage or otherwise. Because of the many other peoples

conquered and assimilated by the Kalamarans and the great size of the

former empire, the dialects are many and varied. Natives of different

regions have difficulty understanding each other’s speech, although

at this point in time, their written words are still nearly identical.

REANAARIANS TODAY

Reanaarians have brown hair and eyes and their skin ranges from

olive to darker tan. Hair spans the full range short of black–from

blonde to red to brown, with medium brown being most common.

The people are often shorter than Kalamarans (and much shorter

than their Fhokki neighbors to the north), but their frames are strong,

unlike the slender Brandobians.

Reanaarians live the closest to the humanoids of Tellene. Gnomes,

halflings, dwarves, and even elves share their towns and cities.

Reanaarians prefer to live in villages and govern themselves; a

network of hundreds of these villages covers the Bay where they live.

The Reanaarians are fond of crafts and they work hard, but they also

like to enjoy themselves. Because they respect many faiths and share

their lands with humanoid cultures, the Reanaarians have more

holidays than any other people.

For the most part, Reanaarians speak their own language, although

through trade it has lost much of its original character. Most folk

speak at least a few words in a humanoid language (any of them)

because they associate with these races so often. Those that live in

cities tend to speak Merchant’s Tongue as a primary language.

SVIMOHZ TODAY

The Svimohz actually encompass nearly as many cultures as the

widespread Dejy. Their skin is very dark brown when not actually

black, and their hair is black as well. Eyes are sometimes gray but few

folk ever see anything but black and brown eyes in each other or in

the mirror. Height ranges by culture, with the Zazahnii being generally

shorter and the Meznams taller than the Ozhvins and Ahznoms.

Svimohzish culture is ancient and rich. The people are formal and

have distinct social rules. Strangers are greeted warmly, and guests

are treated like royalty. Bargaining in the marketplace is hard, but

both parties are respectful and polite. The tradition of a dowry is still

alive and shows no sign of being abandoned soon. The Svimohz bury

their dead in catacombs when possible, and of all the human races,

save perhaps certain Dejy clans, they are most prone to become

obsessed with death or the preservation of their bodies.

The Svimohzish language is spoken across the island. Many native

Svimohz speak no other human language. Svimohzish is recognized

in major ports because of the importance of Zha-nehzmish as a

trading partner. People in port cities often speak the Merchant’s

Tongue. Among central Svimohzia, the hobgoblin language is widely

understood because of the neighboring kingdom of Ul-Karg.

Very cool, Nyrath! I found the campaign setting for sale on Amazon for 4.99 used - quite a steal! I will order it on Friday when I get paid.

Max, I was using your sheet as a sort of template for my own, and I noticed you weren't adding the +3 to class skills, of which you have many. Were you not aware of that rule, or are we not using them and I missed something in chat. According to the Pathfinder Reference Document, the following are class skills for dragons: Appraise, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Fly, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (all), Linguistics, Perception, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival, Swim, and Use Magic Device.

Also I saw a -4 size penalty for Fly; is that the only skill that penalty applies to, or are there others?

That was an early draft sheet. That's been corrected on my working copy here at home. :) Thanks for pointing it out though!

The size penalty for Fly is unique to Fly. Further penalties/bonuses sometimes apply due to manueverability class, though I think silvers are adroit enough to avoid that.

Here's my rebuilt sheet, for reference. It is not complete, but mostly what I'm finishing now are stats on my cohort and familiar. Dragon stats are pretty well done, I think, except traits (not sure we even get these, GM?) and some equipment...some of which I'm gonna beef up his lair with, since Adriessa's there.

Macrisse

Huge Young Adult Bronze Dragon

Hit Dice: Dragon 14 / Sorceror 6 / Urban Ranger 1

Str 26 13+12+3 (1)

Dex 14 14-4+4 (5)

Con 22 13+6+3 (3)

Int 22 14+4+2 (2)

Wis 20 15+4+1 (1)

Cha 28 14+4+7+1 (13)

BAB +18

HP: 13d12+6d6+1d8 +138 (248)

AC: 28 (8 + 2 dex + 17 natural +1 deflection), Touch AC 11

CMB +28

CMD +40

Init: +2

Fort: +19, Ref +15, Will +19

Speed: 40' swim 60' fly 200' poor

Dragon Race Traits

Breath Weapon (Su), 50' cone, fire 10d6 or Repulsion 1d6+5 rnds, Ref DC 23 for half or will DC 23 to resist

Dragon Senses (Ex): Darkvision 120 ft. and blindsense 60 ft. 4x normal sight in dim light, 2x normal in normal light.

Spell-Like Abilities: A dragon's caster level for its spell-like abilities is equal to its total Hit Dice.

Damage Reduction: DR 5/magic. Natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Immunities (Ex): Every dragon is immune to sleep and paralysis. Immune to electricity.

Spell Resistance (Ex): A dragon's SR is equal to 11 + its CR. (27)

Spell Like Abilities:

Water Breathing

Speak with animals

Create Food and Water

Wave Mastery (Age Catx10 min/day, double water speed for self/others within 50')

Ranger Features

Favored Enemy: Human

Tracking

Wild Empathy +10

Sorceror Features

Eschew Materials

Cantrips

Arcane Bloodline

Arcana: Spell DC increases by 1 when cast with metamagic raising its level by at least 1, other than Heighten Spell.

Bonus Spells: Identify, Invisibility

Powers:

- Arcane Bond

- Metamagic Adept

Traits

Feats

1 Scholar (Arcana, Engineering)

3 Flyby Attack

5 Multiattack

7 Spell Penetration

9 Leadership

11 Greater Spell Penetration

13 Vital Strike

15 Craft Wondrous Item

17 Piercing Spell

19 Improved Familiar

21 Expanded Arcana

Skills 228

Appraise +19 (10 + 6 int + 3 class)

Bluff +23 (11 + 9 cha + 3 class)

Craft: Alchemy +19 (10 + 6 int + 3 class)

Craft: Traps +19 (10 + 6 int + 3 class)

Craft: ? +19 (10 + 6 int + 3 class)

Diplomacy +22 (10 + 9 cha + 3 class)

Disable Device +15 (10 + 2 Dex + 3 class)

Fly +17 (20 + 2 dex -4 poor manuevering, -4 size +3 class)

Knowledge: Arcana +27 (16 + 6 int + 2 feat + 3 class)

Knowledge: Engineering +26 (15 + 6 int + 2 feat +3 class)

Knowledge: Planes +20 (11 + 6 int +3 class)

Knowledge: History +26 (12 + 6 int +5 item +3 class)

Knowledge: Local +13 (4 + 6 int + 3 class)

Linguistics +14 (5 + 6 int + 3 class)

Perception +28 (20 + 5 wis + 3 class)

Sense Motive +22 (14 + 5 wis + 3 class)

Spellcraft +29 (20 + 6 int + 3 class)

Survival +13 (5 + 5 wis + 3 class)

Swim +24 (5 + 8 str + 8 racial speed + 3 class)

Use Magic Device +22 (10 + 9 cha + 3 class)

Languages:

Common, Draconic, Elvish, Dwarven, Giant, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan, Celestial, Aquan, Infernal, Abyssal, ?

Spellcasting (Sorceror CL 11 (15 vs SR), Base DC 19)

Slots: 1 - 6/6, 2 - 6/6, 3 - 6/6, 4 - 6/6, 5 - 4/4

0 - Drench, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Resistance

1 - Shield, Mage Armor, Identify, Magic Missile, Feather Fall, Burning Disarm

2 - See Invisible, Invisibility, Align Weapon, Resist Enegy, Glitterdust, ?

3 - Heroism, Dispel Magic, Cure Serious Wounds, Battering Whatever? Cloak of Wind?

4 - Dragon'S Breath, Resilient Sphere, Fire Shield

5 - Teleport, Telekinesis

Equipment

Money: 13,000gp

Hoard

- 15,000 coinage

- 15,000 art

- 20,000 unused magic

Weapon

Bite, +24, 2d8+12, 15' reach

Claws (2), +24, 2d6+8, 10' reach

Wings (2), +21, 1d8+4, 10' reach

Tail Slap, +21, 2d6+12, 10' reach

Crush 2d8+15, vs Small or smaller, Ref DC 24 to avoid pinning

Armor

None

Gear

MEDIUM HUMANOID FORM

Str 20

Dex 18

Con 18

Int 22

Wis 20

Cha 28

BAB +18

HP: 13d12+6d6+1d8 +96 (206)

AC: 15 (10 +4 dex +1 deflection), Touch AC 15

CMB +23

CMD +27

Init: +4

Fort: +17, Ref +17, Will +19

Speed: 30'

SLAs: Speak with Animals, Create Food/Water

DR 5/magic?, SR27

Water Breathing?

Weapon

Unarmed, +23, 1d3+5 nl, incurs AoO

Armor

None

Gear

FAMILIAR

Nifticus

Tiny Construct (homunculus)

Str 8

Dex 15

Con _

Int 10

Wis 12

Cha 7

BAB +18

HP 124 (21HD)

AC 14 (10 + 2 dex + 2 size)

CMB +2

CMD 11

Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +1

Init +2

Speed 20', 50 fly (good)

Attack: 1 bite +3, 1d4-1, Poison (DC 13, sleep 1 min)

Feats: Lightning Reflexes

Skills: Fly, Perception, Stealth +12

Languages: Common (can't speak), telepathic link to owner

Abilities: Construct traits, Telepathic Link, Familiar abilities

COHORT

Adriessa

Sea Elf Diviner Wizard 17

Str 08

Dex 16

Con 10

Int 19

Wis 10

Cha 15

BAB +8

Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 10

Hit points: 16d6+6

AC 13 (10 + 3 dex)

Init +11

Race Traits

+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con

Dreamspeaker: +1 DC divination and sleep effects, cast Dream 1/day as SLA

Keen Senses: +2 Perception

Spirit of Water: +4 Swim, take 10 on Swim any time

- Proficient in longspear, trident, net

Class

Cantrips

Arcane bond (Ring? staff? Wand?)

Arcane School: Divination (Foretelling), Opposition: Necromancy/Evocation

- Forewarned (Autosucceed perception to act in surprise round, +8 to init)

- Prescience 9/day (roll d20 at beginning of turn, substitute for any d20 roll you make during turn or lose)

- Foretell (+2 luck to allies' checks, attacks, caster level checks, saves within 30', or -2 to enemies, up to 17rnds/day)

Feats

b Scribe Scroll

1 Dodge

3 Point Blank Shot

5 Spell Penetration

5b Spell Focus: Conjuration

7 Spell Focus: Divination

9 Augmented Summons

10b Extend Spell

11 Greater Spell Focus: Divination

13 Greater Spell Penetration

15 Heighten Spell

15b True Name (Cetaceal Agathion)

17 Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration

Skills: 136

Appraise

Craft

Fly

Knowledge

Knowledge

Knowledge

Knowledge

Linguistics

Profession

Spellcraft

Caster level: Wizard 17 (21 vs SR), Base DC 16 (19 divination and conjuration)

1 4

2 4

3 4

4 4

5 4

6 4

7 3

8 2

9 1

Spellbook

0 Resistance, Acid Splash, Drench, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Read Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Haunted Fey Aspect, Jolt, Mage Hand

Mending, Message, Open/Close, Root, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation

1 True Strike, Alarm, Shield, Grease, Mage Armor, Unseen Servant, See Alignment, Feather Fall, Illusion of Calm, Endure Elements,

Hold Portal, Air bubble, Corossive Touch, Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Magic Aura, Silent Image, Dancing Lantern, Gravity Bow,

Erase

2 See Invisibility, Locate Object, Web, Book Ward, Resist Energy, Acid Arrow, Dust of Twilight, Glitterdust, Detect Thoughts,

Share Memory, Track Ship, Ghostly Disguise, Invisibility, Alter Self, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Darkvision, Rope Trick

3 Blood Biography, Water Breathing, Fly, Clairvoyance, Cloak of Winds, Dispel Magic, Magic Circle vs Evil, Protection from Energy,

Aqueous Orb, Spiked Pit, Suggestion, Major Image, Secret Page, Enter Image

4 Arcane Eye, Locate Creature, Dimension Door, Black Tentacles, Remove Curse, Acid Pit, Charm Monster, Illusory Wall,

Greater Invisibility, Shocking Image, Stone Shape, Secure Shelter, Solid Fog, Ride the Waves

5 Telepathic Bond, Symbol of Scrying, Acidic Spray, Wall of Stone, Mage's Private Sanctum, Teleport, Geyser, Hungry Pit, Mirage Arcana,

Persistant Image, Fabricate, Permanency, Telekinesis

6 Analyze Dweomer, Cloak of Dreams, True Seeing, Ice Crystal Teleport, Antimagic Field, Greater Dispel, Globe of Invulnerability,

Guards and Wards, Summon Monster VI, Greater Heroism, Permanent Image, Monstrous Physique IV, Hardening, Disintegrate, Beast Shape IV,

Mage's Lucubration

7 Greater Scrying, Summon Monster VII, Ice Body, Vision, Banishment, Spell Turning, Teleport Trap, Project Image, Simulacrum,

Limited Wish

8 Moment of Prescience, Discern Location, Dimensional Lock, Seamantle, Mind Blank, Prismatic Wall, Greater Planar Binding,

Incendiary Cloud, Summon Monster VIII, Greater Shadow Evocation, Pmorph any object

9 Form of the Dragon III, Foresight, Summon Monster IX, Tsunami, Shades, Wish

Equipment

Money 75000

Scribing Costs 11475

1 150

2 560

3 1350

4 800

5 1125

6 2160

7 1470

8 2240

9 1620

Okay, minus her langauges, this is Rax, the most insane skill monkey I've ever built. Oh crap, i still need to add her alternat bard traits as well - gah!

Raxophea

Huge Young Adult Silver Dragon

Hit Dice: 16 (Dragon 13 / Bard 6)

Strength: 22 (8+14) [+6]

Dexterity: 16 (16+0) [+3]

Con: 20 (12+8) [+5]

Intelligence: 22 (14+8) [+6]

Wisdom: 19 (10+8+1) [+4]

Charisma: 24 (16+8) [+7]

BAB +17

HP: 185

AC: 29 (8 + 3 dex + 18 natural), Touch AC 11, FF AC 28

CMB +21

CMD +24

Init: +7

Space 15 ft.

Fort: +15, Ref +16, Will +17

Speed: 40', fly 200' (average), cloudwalking, graceful flight

Breath Weapon (Su), 50' cone, 10d8 cold damage or paralysis 1d6+5 rounds, Fort DC 23 for half

Dragon Senses (Ex): Darkvision 120 ft. and blindsense 60 ft. 4x normal sight in dim light, 2x normal in normal light.

Damage Reduction: DR 5/magic.

Immunities (Ex): Sleep, paralysis and cold.

Spell Resistance (Ex): 27

Spell-Like Abilities (at will): detect evil, feather fall

Special Qualities : Cloudwalking, Graceful flight, Fog vision

Feats:

1 Hover

3 Flyby Attack

5 Multiattack

7 Improved Initiative

9 Leadership

11 Power Attack

13 Skill Focus (Fly)

15 Critical Focus

17 Weapon Finesse

19 Deadly Aim

Skills:

Acrobatics +20 (14 + 3 Dex + 3)

Appraise +20 (11 + 6 Int + 3)

Bluff +20 (10 + 7 Cha +3)

Climb +10 (1 + 6 Str +3)

Craft: Calligraphy +20 (11 + 6 Int +3)

Diplomacy +20 (10 + 7 Cha +3)

Disguise +20 (10 +7 Cha +3)

Fly +24 (16 + 3 Dex + 6 Skill Focus -4 size +3)

Heal +15 (8 + 4 wis +3)

Intimidate +15 (5 + 7 Cha +3)

Knowledge: Arcana +15 (6 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Dungeoneering +10 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Engineering +10 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Geography +15 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: History +20 (11 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Local +15 (6 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Nature +15 (6 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Nobility +15 (6 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Planes +10 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Knowledge: Religion +10 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Linguistics +10 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Perception +15 (8 + 4 Wis +3)

Perform: Dance +20 (10 + 7 Cha +3)

Perform: Oratory +20 (10 + 7 Cha +3)

Perform: Sing +20 (10 +7 Cha +3)

Perform: Stringed Instrument +20 (10 + 7 Cha +3)

Profession: Librarian +15 (8 + 4 Wis +3)

Profession: Scribe +15 (8 + 4 Wis +3)

Sense Motive +15 (8 + 4 Wis +3)

Spellcraft +10 (1 + 6 Int +3)

Stealth +10 (4 + 3 Dex +3)

Survival +10 (3 + 4 Wis +3)

Swim +10 (1 + 6 Str +3)

Use Magic Device +15 (5 + 7 Cha +3)

Spellcasting:

Bard 6, Base DC 17

Slots: 1 - 4/2, 2 - 3/2

0 - Ghost Sound, Know Direction, Lullaby, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Read Magic

1 - Blood Biography, Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Identify

2 - Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkness, Invisibility, Silence

(Sorcerer CL 5, Base DC 17)

Slots: 1 - 6/2, 2 - 4/2

0 - Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Light, Message, Ray of Frost, Spark

1 - Burning Hands, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield

2 - Acid Arrow, See Invisible

Equipment:

Money: 1500 gp

Hoard

- 15,000 coinage

- 15,000 art

- 20,000 unused magic

Weapons / Attacks:

Bite, +23, 2d8+9, 15' reach

Claws (2), +23, 2d6+6, 10' reach

Wings (2), +20, 1d8+3, 10' reach

Tail Slap, +20, 2d6+9, 10' reach

Crush 2d8+9, vs Small or smaller, Ref DC 23 to avoid pinning

Armor:

None (in dragon form)

Gear:

Ring of Sustenance, 2500 gp

Bag of Holding Type II, 5000 gp

- Bottle of Air, 7250 gp

- Ray of enfeeblement wand, 750 gp

- +1 glammered studded leather armor, 3725 gp

- +1 rapier, 2020 gp

- +1 short bow, 2030 gp

- 5 quivers of arrows, 5 gp

- 2 tents, 20 gp

- Masterwork violin, 100 gp

- Masterwork lute, 100 gp

Heritage, looks good!

Just a couple little glitches.

You have your Challenge Rating listed as your hit dice. It's not exactly the same thing. A young adult bronze dragon has 14 hit dice...I think a silver would have at least that many or more.

Silver dragons are immune to cold, as befits their breath weapon.

I can't quite get a handle on how you did your attributes. It'd be useful to list their base, unmodified entry...then note each type of modifier separately. Like so:

Strength 26 (8 + 14 age +4 point buy)

I realize that the age modifier category factors together age, size and levelup bonuses from dragon hit dice, but on some of these those modifiers don't seem listed. Dexterity for example. Assuming you start with a base of 16, you'd then have a penalty for age category, and perhaps then you'd offset that with point buy. Your sheet doesn't show any of that though, so we're not sure how you got Dex 16.

On a build note, you might want to consider getting just one heal spell and putting it on your sorceror caster levels. The reason being that sorcerors can repeat cast more than bards, making heals a bit more useful. On the other hand, getting bard heals means your caster level will increase faster, so...it can go either way. However, having two heal spells so close together in level is probably a waste of a pick. Keep the higher level one, and just buy a wand of Cure Light Wounds for the little heals. It's only 750gp for 50.

Speaking of equipment, you may have a very good reason...mechanical or RP...for this choice, but I think the Bottle of Air is of limited utility for its cost. Compare it to the Necklace of Adaptation, which is just a little more expensive and far more useful. Similarly, if you want glamered light armor, consider the chain shirt. Better AC, only a little more weight...but bear in mind the arcane fail chance. It will affect your draconic sorceror levels, though not your bard levels. For this reason, you may want to plunk down a little more cash and buy a mithril chain shirt, which can then be enhanced and glamered. They're lighter, allow more dexterity bonus, and have less arcane fail chance than studded leather...and have the ac bonus of a regular chain shirt.

Featwise, you may want to look again at Weapon Finesse. It's only good in human form, and you really don't want to fight a serious battle in human form if you can avoid it. You can use your rapier with a +23 bonus even in human form, and shift to dragon if you need more oomph. Weapon Finesse gives you +26 to hit, but with an attack that still only does 1d6+3 damage. Even using Power Attack to turn those extra attack bonus points into damage won't make this worth a high level feat (in my view of course :)).

Oh and Leadership! Great choice, but it does mean you have to stat up your cohort. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Max! I don't own the Bestiary, so I've been using the Dragon Listing on the online Pathfinder Reference Document, which may have added a few errors into my own mistake, assuming it might have errors and typos. Silver dragons are all the way at the bottom, by the way.

You have your Challenge Rating listed as your hit dice. It's not exactly the same thing. A young adult bronze dragon has 14 hit dice...I think a silver would have at least that many or more.

I have to admit, the CR vs HD vs level thing has done a number on my head, and I have a very hard time keeping it all straight; base DC for a silver wyrmling is 7d12, plus 8 for young adult gives us...15? Hmm, might have to roll some more dice in chat.

Silver dragons are immune to cold, as befits their breath weapon.

I assumed it would be cold, too, but the RD says 'acid' in the first Age Catagory block; must be a typo, because now I see it listed as cold elsewhere. An easy fix.

I can't quite get a handle on how you did your attributes. It'd be useful to list their base, unmodified entry...then note each type of modifier separately. Like so:

Strength 26 (8 + 14 age +4 point buy)

I realize that the age modifier category factors together age, size and levelup bonuses from dragon hit dice, but on some of these those modifiers don't seem listed. Dexterity for example. Assuming you start with a base of 16, you'd then have a penalty for age category, and perhaps then you'd offset that with point buy. Your sheet doesn't show any of that though, so we're not sure how you got Dex 16.

Augh! I will finish this character because I like her, but I will NEVER make another dragon! :D Waaaaaaaaaaay too many factors to keep track of! Where the hell is this 'age penalty' thing? Is is seperate from size? I must have missed it somehow - grr!

Oh wait, now I remember; I think Nyrath gave me base numbers with the penalties already figured in...or something.

Uh, excuse me for a second...

I DESPISE GAMER MATH!!!!!!! AAAAAARGGGHHH!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system :D

I thought he said there was a +4 and a - 4 that cancelled each other out, so that for Dexterity I would just add the stright point buy to 0; I have no idea if this is actually true, and can't bother to look it up right now, as I'm bookless and my head hurts. I will have to return to this when I have a lawyer, a cold compress and a bottle of Stoli.

On a build note, you might want to consider getting just one heal spell and putting it on your sorceror caster levels. The reason being that sorcerors can repeat cast more than bards, making heals a bit more useful. On the other hand, getting bard heals means your caster level will increase faster, so...it can go either way. However, having two heal spells so close together in level is probably a waste of a pick. Keep the higher level one, and just buy a wand of Cure Light Wounds for the little heals. It's only 750gp for 50.

I'm leery of putting the heals into her sorceress side because...hmm, not sure. I think it might be because as much as I love D&D/Pathfinder, it literally causes frequent brain anuerysms (not really) and I try to keep everything in its own seperate pocket, as close to the rules as written as I can. I'll strongly consider you suggestion, and the wand (I should have bought one anyway; cure light wands are the shit!). Then I could give her Alarm, which can be helpful when she's on the road.

Speaking of equipment, you may have a very good reason...mechanical or RP...for this choice, but I think the Bottle of Air is of limited utility for its cost. Compare it to the Necklace of Adaptation, which is just a little more expensive and far more useful. Similarly, if you want glamered light armor, consider the chain shirt. Better AC, only a little more weight...but bear in mind the arcane fail chance. It will affect your draconic sorceror levels, though not your bard levels. For this reason, you may want to plunk down a little more cash and buy a mithril chain shirt, which can then be enhanced and glamered. They're lighter, allow more dexterity bonus, and have less arcane fail chance than studded leather...and have the ac bonus of a regular chain shirt.

Oh jeez, I forgot the sorcerer levels would be affected by the leather! I will look into the mirthril chain. For some reason I've always steered clear of mithral, though I'm not sure why; maybe because it's the obvious choice and everyone buys it (shrug). The Bottle of Air is so she can put her cohort (or others) into her Bag of Holding without them dying; I will look at the listing for Neclace of Adaptation, which presumably she will also use from time to time.

Featwise, you may want to look again at Weapon Finesse. It's only good in human form, and you really don't want to fight a serious battle in human form if you can avoid it. You can use your rapier with a +23 bonus even in human form, and shift to dragon if you need more oomph. Weapon Finesse gives you +26 to hit, but with an attack that still only does 1d6+3 damage. Even using Power Attack to turn those extra attack bonus points into damage won't make this worth a high level feat (in my view of course :)).

Hmm, you may be right; she's actually far more deadly with her bow thanks to Deadly Aim, and I have had trouble with rapiers in the past; that being said, wouldn't the high threat rating of the rapier combined with Critical Focus means she crits more often with it? Or maybe I should just get Improved Critical instead of Finesse and use a better hand-to-hand weapon...?

Oh and Leadership! Great choice, but it does mean you have to stat up your cohort. :)

Someone else mentioned it first (possibly Jeremy) to represent a network of contacts or whatnot, which sounds really cool to me, though admittedly a bit more work. I actually have a really cool idea for a cohort, a half-orc rogue 3/ ranger 11 with the Skirmisher archetype who is in fact a dragon hunter; he came upon Rax in her lair while hunting a red dragon, and he's the only person who knows her draconic identity. She takes him along in her travels (sometimes on horseback, sometimes in her claws!) and refers to him as her 'research assistant'. :D

Thanks for the feedback, Max! I don't own the Bestiary, so I've been using the Dragon Listing on the online Pathfinder Reference Document, which may have added a few errors into my own mistake, assuming it might have errors and typos. Silver dragons are all the way at the bottom, by the way.

-- Yup! I was looking at a silver very early in my process. I use the same resource.

I DESPISE GAMER MATH!!!!!!! AAAAAARGGGHHH!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system :D

-- Hee hee, no worries. Pathfinder actually made it simpler than original 3.5 D&D, but dragons have a LOT of stuff factored in, so it can be confusing. Here's how it works as far as I can tell.

Step 1

Visit your dragon's color entry to get your base stats. These stats are your 'zero point.' Every dragon of that color starts with those attributes for free, before any modifiers are applied.

Step 2

Visit the entry for True Dragons, and scroll down to the table that shows ability score modifiers per age category. These numbers include both size modifiers, and modifiers for the bonuses all characters get for advancing hit dice (+1 per 4 levels or hit dice). So you don't have to worry about those things. Just tack the modifiers from the table right on to the base scores for the dragon breed.

Step 3

Do your point buy, modifying the numbers you got in Step 2.

Step 4

Since we have class levels, we get additional bonus attribute points for each 4 class levels we have. That's 1 in your case. Add 1 to any stat you like.

Done!

I'm leery of putting the heals into her sorceress side because...hmm, not sure. I think it might be because as much as I love D&D/Pathfinder, it literally causes frequent brain anuerysms (not really) and I try to keep everything in its own seperate pocket, as close to the rules as written as I can.

-- Dragons buying divine spells as arcane spells with their sorceror caster levels is rules-as-written. They can do that. There are some reasons not to though, some of which I briefly mentioned. You don't -have- to do this. The curestick is definitely advised though. :)

The Bottle of Air is so she can put her cohort (or others) into her Bag of Holding without them dying; I will look at the listing for Neclace of Adaptation, which presumably she will also use from time to time.

-- That's a lot of money for something you may not need very often. If you had a Necklace of Adaptation, you could just pass it to your cohort before putting him in the bag, then take it back if you need it. Less than 2000gold more than the Bottle. Worth considering, since it has more applications.

Hmm, you may be right; she's actually far more deadly with her bow thanks to Deadly Aim, and I have had trouble with rapiers in the past; that being said, wouldn't the high threat rating of the rapier combined with Critical Focus means she crits more often with it? Or maybe I should just get Improved Critical instead of Finesse and use a better hand-to-hand weapon...?

-- Critical Focus, if I recall right, only increases your confirmation roll. It's considerably less useful than normal in two circumstances: 1) You have a bad critical chance, and 2) You already have a huge hit bonus, and are thus likely to confirm even without the extra bonus from Critical Focus. The first makes it unlikely you'll crit in the first place (rapiers have a good crit chance though), the second makes it redundant to have it. For you, both 1 and 2 are true. The first is true of your dragon form, which only crits on a 20 as is. The second is true of your rapier, which...especially if you have Weapon Finesse, is unlikely to miss a confirm roll against any target you can hit in the first place.

Plus, even WITH a crit, your rapier is way behind your bite as a weapon. I would just feel bad suggesting that you spend so many feats on rapier combat, when it's really more of a roleplaying choice than a good combat decision. You definitely can do it, but I suspect you'll find that in any serious fight, you'll want to change to a dragon...making those feat choices obsolete.

Someone else mentioned it first (possibly Jeremy) to represent a network of contacts or whatnot, which sounds really cool to me, though admittedly a bit more work. I actually have a really cool idea for a cohort, a half-orc rogue 3/ ranger 11 with the Skirmisher archetype who is in fact a dragon hunter; he came upon Rax in her lair while hunting a red dragon, and he's the only person who knows her draconic identity. She takes him along in her travels (sometimes on horseback, sometimes in her claws!) and refers to him as her 'research assistant'. :D

-- That's what I plan to use my followers for too! Contacts, spies, and perhaps a business or two.

Your cohort should be higher than level 14 though, I think.

Archived