[Like a Bad Penny] OOC

Gabe OOC

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Hellhound/Tarik, Carver/Daphne, Jas/Narinder, Heritage, Kami, Rubio, Mala/Shae, right? I can fit everyone in...

Which brings me to this note that as a GM, it's been a very long time since I've seriously tried to run anything, thus, please be understanding of any mistakes or errors... and understand that when there are pauses - I will usually be taking time to prep and write prologues and/or episodes for you guys.

Yeah, my main concern looking the character over is that he seems made for a high adventure, high pulp kind of game. This game, from every description I've gotten from Jeremy, is far more real people rediscovering the mystical/magical parts of the world - not starting there in what feels like a very four-color themed way.

I intensely dislike Venture Brothers, so that will color any comparison to a character in the show, but the tone of that show and the tone of this game seem rather at odds with each other.

Speaking as a huge fan of the Venture Brothers, I also think that using Dr. Orpheus as your model may be too broad; if you could reel him back in a bit tone-wise, he could probably still work. You'll also probably need to adjust his background a bit. Lastly, I'm not sure how Jeremy feels about 'mystical artifacts' such as 'the Stone of Zanzibar' ("Doo-dee-doo-dee-doo!"), but he may be flexible.

Hmm... Okay, I really didn't have my heart set on Dr. O. So it's no skin off my back to dream up something else. Frankly, Shae, you're a fan of the show, so I'd just as soon throw that idea out if it made you feel better :)

As long as he's not over the top. Remember... Subtle.

Subtle, huh? Hmm...

Okay, I've got something else I can run with. I'm thinking of something that's not quite a stage magician, but has a taste of theatricality. He's not quite a polititian, but is certainly willing to tell people what they want to hear. But here's the kicker. Are the words he's saying to you actually formed by his vocal chords projected from his mouth? Or is it all in your head? You know what you heard, but did the person standing next to you hear the same thing? What if this mysterious man is using his mind to manipulate everyone he meets to further his goals? The goals of the Aeon Society?

And, Heritage, any 'Artifact' he ends up having isn't meant to be showy. It's not supposed to be some sort of Rod of Wonder, or even a diamond topped cane, or a shiny neckless. Instead, maybe it's a pocket watch, or the power is drawn from his cufflinks, or something. Really, It could be anything, I'm not picky on that subject.

Thoughts? Opinions? Things I can work on?

Quote....I think you've missed the point in the proposal. This isn't a setting where this:

"Okay, I've got something else I can run with. I'm thinking of something that's not quite a stage magician, but has a taste of theatricality. He's not quite a polititian, but is certainly willing to tell people what they want to hear. But here's the kicker. Are the words he's saying to you actually formed by his vocal chords projected from his mouth?Or is it all in your head? You know what you heard, but did the person standing next to you hear the same thing? What if this mysterious man is using his mind to manipulate everyone he meets to further his goals? The goals of the Aeon Society?"

is going to work. This isn't a pulp game. This isn't a game where mystics and psychics are known or accepted....

Have you ever watched Warehouse 13? If you have, you should be a little more on this side of normal than that show. Right now you still seem to be in a much more Aberrant/Superhero World, more comic-book, mindset than Jer is going for.

Try making a person with no powers whatsoever first. Just a normal, modern person. Then talk with Jer about how their Inspiration came about, as from what I've seen and heard, that's pretty much what the prologues will be about. Also, you might take a look, or ask the other players about, the characters that have already been approved.

Actually, I love Warehouse 13. And yea, it seems I missed the point somewhere along the way. As you may or may not know, I'm almost never on the chat for this site. Something to do with the amount of time I already spend staring at a computer monitor and chat rooms being a slippery slope toward me losing what's left of my social life :P

But I digress. I would love to give this suggestion a try. I'll admit I'm not exactly sure where to start. The character I'd come up with for that last Adventure! game took me about a week to make. That was months ago, back when I still had a pdf for this game. The hard drive that lived on has since been reformatted, so I no longer actually have a copy of the character creation rules.

If someone is willing to help me out here, and tell me where to start with making a normal person with no powers, I'm game. This is a neat system that I've never played and I would love to give it a try.

If not, and you're just looking for someone who's ready to play off the starting blocks, then you should probably start looking somewhere else.

I'd love to play, and I've got some interesting ideas tucked away in my head for a character, but I'm gonna need some help on this one.

Up to you guys.

I'm willing to help you out, but you'll probably need to jump into chat for a little bit for this to go quickly/smoothly. Dots on the sheet are pretty easy to figure out once you have a strong character concept. Think about the profession you want the character to currently have and the kind of childhood they had. If those two ideas are strong, the dots will pretty much fill themselves out. Then we can talk about the kind of powers and sparkly you want the character to gain during their inspiration. I'll try to be in chat most of today (it's 10 AM CST right now, I should be able to be around for most of the rest of the day).

Archived