Pathfinder Interest

Dave ST

I forgot my extra feat from being a human, added skill focus on crafting.

Question, would the +2 bonus from the prodigy feat and the +3 bonus from the skill focus feat stack or would you just get the higher one. I know that bonuses of the same type (almost) never stack, but neither description gives a type of bonus, just says that it's a bonus.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skill Bonuses generally stack. If you have Persuasive (+2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks) and you have Skill Focus (Diplomacy) then you have a +5 to Diplomacy checks and a +2 to Intimidate checks.

Prodigy, however, is a General Feat in the Ultimate Magic Guide and thus not a feat you can take since it's not in the Core Book.

Also, real quick guys, Racial Traits go under 'Special Qualities' or you can make a 'Racial Traits' section like Aston did. The 'Traits' section is just for your two traits that every character gets. You can't select more than one trait from the same category (you can't have both your traits be social ones, for example).

If you're new to Pathfinder you can find the traits here: Pathfinder Traits

Stat sheet with changes.

Stephre Asthra

Female Half-Elf Paladin 2

Lawful Good medium humanoid

Init +3; Senses: Perception +2

DEFENSE

AC: 20, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+1 Dex, +6 Chain Mail, +2 Light Shield+1)

HP: 24 (2d10+4)

Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +7, (+2vs enchantments)

OFFENSE

Speed: 20

Melee: Longsword +4 (+2 primary) (1d8+2/19–20)

Melee: Light Metal Shield (Spiked) +4 (+2 secondary) (1d4+1)

Ranged: Heavy Crossbow +4 (1d10/19-20)

Special Abilities: Smite Evil 1/day, Lay on Hands (1d6) 5/day, Divine Grace, Detect Evil, Aura of Good

STATISTICS

Str 14 Dex 15 Con 13 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha18

Base Atk: +2; CMB +4; CMD 16

Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Skill Focus (Diplomacy)

Traits: Elven Reflexes (+2 initiative), Poverty Stricken (+1 survival)

Racial Traits: Low light vision, adaptability, elf blood, elven immunities, keen senses, multi-talented (paladin/fighter)

Skills: Diplomacy +12, Heal +4, Knowledge (nobility) +4, Knowledge (religion) +4, Perception (+2), Sense Motive +5, Survival +5

Languages: Common, Elven, Celestial, Goblin

Combat Equipment: Longsword, Spiked Light Shield +1, Heavy Crossbow, Chain Mail

Other Gear: Backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, grappling hook, silk rope, torch, waterskin, trail rations x5, alchemists fire x2, crossbow bolts x20, explorer’s outfit, holy symbol (silver), winter blanket, whetstone, beltpouch, wand of cure light wounds (CL3, 23 charges), 77gp, 8sp, 7cp

Total Weight: 108 (<58,59-116,116-175)

Experience: 2000/5000

Cast out of her village for her mixed race, Stephre spent her early life living in an orphanage in a small city. When she was old enough to be allowed to wander the streets alone, she was pressured by the older orphans to go to the cities church of Iomedae and steal from the collections.

Stephre was drawn in by the service however, and instead started attending services whenever she got the chance. After a few months, she decided to join the church properly and began training to be a paladin.

She prefers fighting with a longsword (her godesses favoured weapon) and shield, but also carries a heavy crossbow. Her preferred tactic is to get a shot in at range with her crossbow before finishing the fight at close range.

gallery_922_45_13281.jpgName: Beleran Rodderick

Height: 6’ 0”

Weight: 220lbs

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Green

Beleran was a blacksmith’s apprentice for the majority of his life, and it shows on his body. His shoulders are wider than average and his arms are as thick as some people’s legs. There is hardly any fat on his body to be found. His hair has always been shaggy looking, and since he has taken to wearing a beard and mustache since he’s not over a hot forge every day and as a symbol of his passage into manhood. He wears simple clothes, with his prized set of scale mail overtop. His swords he wears crossed on his back, under his backpack, with his warhammer and dagger strapped to his wide leather belt (along with his belt pouch). He also has a quiver full of arrows opposite his warhammer. He keeps his short bow, usually unstrung, through the center of his bedroll that is usually tied to the bottom of his backpack.

Beleran was born to a typical lumberjack family in Falcon’s Hollow. His parents had come to the Darkmoon Vale in search of adventure, and stopped in Falcon’s Hollow just long enough to make enough coin to continue their adventure. Their temporary stop ended up lasting a lot longer than expected, though, as they fell further and further into the Lumber Consortium’s grasp. So, when they had a son, they decided to give him a chance to get out and had him apprenticed to the blacksmith in Olfden as soon as he was old enough.

From the time that he was apprenticed, Beleran knew that he was different. He was larger than the other children (a fact that only became more apparent as time passed), didn’t live with his parents, and in fact didn't have parents anywhere near. As such, he had both more and less freedom than the others around him, a fact that his parents, who never got to see him again, had no idea about. As he grew up, he became more and more skilled at being a smith and more and more filled with wanderlust.

Once Beleran came of age, a journeyman blacksmith, he made the fateful decision to leave the forge. The fire would always stay in his blood, but he went from making tools, weapons and armor to using them. As a parting gift his master gave him the finest set of scale mail that he had ever created and his blessing, knowing that one day he would come back to the forge as a master himself. Since then he has teamed up with a band of adventurers and even completed a quest, finally having the adventure that his parents had so hoped for. But the sedentary life was never made for an adventurer, and so soon they’ll probably set out again.

Beleran was born to a typical lumberjack family in Falcon’s Hollow. His parents had come to the Darkmoon Vale in search of adventure, and stopped in Falcon’s Hollow just long enough to make enough coin to continue their adventure. Their temporary stop ended up lasting a lot longer than expected, though, as they fell further and further into the Lumber Consortium’s grasp. So, when they had a son, they decided to give him a chance to get out and had him apprenticed to the community blacksmith as soon as he was old enough.

From the time that he was apprenticed, Beleran knew that he was different. He was larger than the other children (a fact that only became more apparent as time passed), didn’t live with his parents, and wasn’t beholden to the Lumber Consortium. As such, he had both more and less freedom than the others around him, a fact that his parents had counted on. As he grew up, he became more and more skilled at being a smith and less and less satisfied with the person in charge.

This is my fault, but I should point out that none of the characters are from Falcon's Hollow. It's an easy change, but your PC will have to be from elsewhere. I'm trying to avoid the whole "I was born and raised here, everyone knows me, the blacksmith is my friend, let me give you the lowdown on our woes..." scenario.

While you can 'start' in Falcon's Hollow, I know one of the PC Halflings travels through from time to time, you can't actually be from there. When the game begins it will be assumed that all of you left from Falcon's Hollow on your first adventure (which you covered beautifully in your background) and are returning with the spoils of that adventure.

I wouldn't mind the Consortium being a constant enemy for you guys, but remember the Consortium owns everything, the people, the village, the supplies. You can't even officially buy a house there because if you aren't working for the consortium, the most you can do is rent or get a room at the inn. That would have made it hard for him or his parents to stay out of the 'Consortium's grasp'.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass Star, but your guy would have had a better life elsewhere, like maybe Olfden, which is south of Falcon's Hollow. A short walk away and easy to explain why he made up to 'The Hollow'.

I like the pics by the way, everyone. Nice.

Astrid Alfarsdottir

Female Ulfen Barbarian 2

CN Medium Humanoid (human)

Init +1; Senses: Perception +6,

Languages: Common, Sylvan

AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15 (+1 Dex, +1 natural, +3 Masterwork Studded Leather)

Saving Throws: Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +1

Defensive Abilities: DR/1 (doubles if nonlethal)

Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Fast Movement

Melee: Dagger +5 (1d4+3/19-20)

Ranged: Dagger (thrown) +3 (1d4+3/19-20)

Melee greatsword +1 (two handed) +6 ((two handed) 2d6+5/19-20)

Ranged: Composite Longbow +3 (1d8/x3)

Face: 5 ft. Reach: 5 ft.

BAB +2; CMB +5 (+7 sunder); CMD 16 (18 vs sunder)

Atk Options: Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Rage (10 rounds/day)

Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 12

Special Qualities: Bonus Feat, Fast Movement, Rage, Skilled, Superstition

Traits: Strong Heart (+1 Trait Bonus v. Fear, DC to Intimidate +2), Courageous (+2 Trait Bonus v. Fear)

Feats: Armor Proficiency- Light, Armor Proficiency- Medium, Improved Sunder, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Power Attack, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency

Skills: Acrobatics +5, Acrobatics (Jump) +9, Climb +7, Craft (Weapons) +6, Intimidate +6, Perception +6, Ride +5, Survival +6, Swim +7

Possessions: Amulet of Natural Armor +1, Arrows (20); Greatsword +1; Masterwork Studded Leather; Traveler's Outfit; Waterskin (filled); Backpack [ Artisan's Tools (Weaponsmithing); Bedroll; Blanket (Winter); Flint and Steel; Rations (Trail/Per Day) (x5); Composite Longbow STR; Rope (Silk/50 ft.)]; Pouch (Belt) [ Dagger; Torch ].

Weight Carried: 70.5 lbs. (0-76/77-153/154-230)

Wealth: 3pp, 7gp, 6sp, 4cp

Experience: 2,000/5,000

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Astrid Alfarsdottir

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Blonde

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 175 lbs.

Birthplace: Turvik, Thanelands region, in the Land of the Linnorm Kings

Appearance: Ulfen through and through, Astrid is taller, hardier, and more muscular than most of the men in Falcon's Hollow, with a dour mien to match that of the surliest Dwarf in his cups. Lovely as her features may be, her grim expression and imposing stature are clear warnings against intimate propositions. Even so, she takes great pride in her appearance, often braiding her flaxen hair into elaborate plaits and adorning herself with intricately painted spirals and other designs. There is no way to hide her exotic heritage, and she makes no effort to try.

Personality/Demeanor: Astrid is laconic, offering little in the way of joviality and casual conversation. She cares little for the plight of the oppressed and downtrodden masses, and even less for the jockeying and politicking that occur among the nobility. Most of her free time in Falcon's Hollow is spent grinding axes for the Consortium alongside the blacksmith, or downing a mug at the Sitting Duck.

Awesome, lets get this puppy rollin'...

Magic items for the crowd.

Please add these to your characters, these items represent the booty from your first adventure (be it looted from a horde, or family heirlooms, or what have you.)

Iiam:

-Wand of Cure Light Wounds (CL 3rd, 23 charges)

- +1 Shield (the spikes are not magical)

Evan:

-Wand of Magic Missle (CL 3rd, 37 charges)

- Scrolls (Mage Armor, Chill Touch, Sleep, Identify)

Aston:

-Ring of Protection +1

-Handy Haversack (halfling sized, but the dimensions are the same as a full sized one)

Cynewulf:

-Scale Mail +1

-Scrolls (Comprehend Languages x2, Protection From Evil, Shield of Faith)

Beleran:

-Long Sword +1

-Rope of Climbing

Astrid:

- Great Sword +1

- Amulet of Natural Armor +1

Alright, a few notes before we get this going. Some of this is a reiteration in case some haven't been paying attention, and others are just basic FYIs.

-We are using the MEDIUM experience progression. Please check your sheet to make sure it's right (*cough* Iiam... *cough*)

-The PC's all already know each other. The hows and whys are up to you, the players, but you are returning to Falcon's Hollow after your first successful adventure (or misadventure with two halflings in the group, as the case may be)

-You guys are a team, but that doesn't mean you have to like each other. OOC let's keep it friendly. IC if you guys wanna bicker, sling a few insults, and brawl in the dirt, that's cool. Just remember, you're still a team after all is said and done. If any sort of IC bickering or infighting gets to be too much, or too disruptive I'll ask that it be put on the back burner. This usually is not an issue, but I say it any ways for sake of completeness.

-If you can pick pockets, good for you. Please don't be a douche rogue and steal from the party members. If you do, I won't stop you. If they run you through for it, I won't stop them either. I'm neutral that way.

-Don't try and beat me. I'm the GM. I'm not saying that out of arrogance, but it's true. This not a competition, it's a game. It's not GM vs. Players and my goal is not to 'win'. Yours shouldn't be either, since you technically can't win at an RPG accept for the obvious 'don't die' strategy. It's my task to begin a story for you, it's then your task to take that story and add to it until you can't any more with out me adding something more, and so on, and so on, until before we know it we've collective made one hell of a fine adventure novel (just with way more spelling errors).

-Participate. Write it out guys, just don't hand me posts like "Evan looks around then sits at a table and orders a drink." So help me I will gut you if I get too many of those posts. Tell me a tale and in return I'll write you an epic. If you're not sure what to post, simply say so in the OOC thread. Simply 'skip' your turn or ask another player (or me) to just write you into their post, sometimes they may help spark an idea. Often times if people just have no clue what to say, it's time for me to the adventure forward, and I can do that. Just let me know when all the RP is done and we'll move on.

-I cheat. I know, I know, I give the whole 'don't try and win' speech then follow up with 'I cheat', kinda shitty, huh? Well, I do. I cheat for the bad guys, but I also cheat for the players too. Sometimes for a particular adventure I may need to tweak a few thing in favor of the enemy, and if I do this rest assured I'll pay you back for it. My cheating never results in the death of the party or a party member, but it can involve things like a key NPC escaping when you guys all know they should have died. I might need the PCs captured, so I arrange for the next encounter to be rather streamlined except for the Ogre who smashes you with a sap inflicting 10,000 damage a hit. Don't wig out, I'm just trying to be silly while subtly informing you that the fight is hopeless, GM fiat is kicking in and you have no escape.

-Don't trust the Wiki. In this wonderful of information we live in, I know it's hard sometimes to separate gamer knowledge from character knowledge. That's why I'm here to help! To alleviate the temptation of 'remembering' that the NPC you're fighting is a Monk 2/Sorcerer 4/Paladin 8 (because the wiki told you) I've solved the problem and lightened your burden by making sure any NPC you have a chance to run into whose levels are posted on the wiki are not necessarily accurate any more. You might come to find he's just a plain ol' Monk 7/Assassin 7 and his Death Attack will totally catch you by surprise! The suspense will kill ya, trust me.

- Don't meta-game. Your characters have knowledge skills. Knowledge skills tell you what monsters are and what they can do (sometimes). Just because we all know Trolls are weak to fire, doesn't mean your character does. Meta-gameing is my largest pet peeve, right next to "all dwarves talk like Scotsman".

-Most important rule: *Have fun.*

I'll get the adventure up soon, in the mean time get those items added to your sheets. Those are your items, so if you want to trade them with each other feel free. Some I just picked and others I randomly generated, like the rope and the haversack.

Beleran is going to go sell his silk rope, grappling hook and regular longsword. If anybody would've wanted any of these things, he probably would've just given them away, maybe traded for a silver piece or something. If anyone would've wanted any of these, speak up and I'll edit my last IC post. Otherwise he's off to sell them to lighten his load.

Actually, while we have a slight break in the story, I'd like to ask a question: How'd you guys like to handle combat? Generally PBP is not an easy medium for combat (IMO) because you have to tell a story with every action, but how can you tell a story when you don't know all the details (HP, AC, etc)? My solution would be to simply give you the HPs and ACs of the critters to you can write into your posts whether you hit and then write something in to accommodate the damage you inflicted (whether you killed it or injured it severely). The exception to this would be 'boss' critters or 'mini-bosses' whose HPs I'd just list as '??'

To speed things up, I could handle initiative for all sides, post the orders, and turn you loose. Same with saves, instead of waiting for you to post a save against a spider's poison, just make it and post so you know (kinda like how PC games to all the rolls for ya). This leaves you guys in control of your own PCs actions but leaves the behind the scenes mechanics to me.

Opinions, improvements?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived