Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - [2.2] Vacation

Dawn OOC

Mary's derisive look made Rebekka smile briefly, but her gaze remained on Lamia as she withdrew her leg with reluctance. The other woman had remained still, unresponsive, like the resignation of many abuse victims, but the vast understatement in Lamia's spiked Rebekka's habitual arousal almost painfully. Delicious pain and Rebekka imagined a world of it.

Rebekka tamped down on her natural allure, restraining herself from pressing the issue, but her large eyes glistened with an unfeigned sympathy. Behind her glass of wine, she smiled with compassionate melancholy.

"Learning Portuguese is not imperative, no, just convenient." Rebekka nodded at the other patrons and people walking the pedestrian street with her chin. "And there's plenty of other opportunities for me. But it would have been pleasant for you," she added with soft promise. "And I think talking with someone who knows you, who understands what you have been through and can provide another perspective, would do you a lot of good. But as you say, we can discuss this at another time."

Rebekka let out a long sigh, then gave herself a little shake, her demeanor settling back into that of the vivacious Buffy, with a hint of brisk professionalism. She fully intended on discussing this with Lamia at some point.

"What Damien and Lexy said, Vivi. Plus, it's a party. We can't be everywhere and see everything. Keep your cute eyes and ears open and you might catch something we miss." Rebekka winked, but she wasn't just humouring her - the girl could sense things in a way none of the rest of them could. "Lexy, I'll give Marques a go, but I'll totally need ya to play interference if I have to play the field."

Seeing that everyone was pretty much done their meal, then raised a hand to indicate to the waitress they were done and to bring the bill. "Remember one thing guys," she said softly as she ducked her head to search around in her purse for a mix of traded for and manufactured Reals,

"the purpose of this trip is to have fun and find us a 'home' in Rio, 'kay? That's what I'm really looking for - Location, location, location. Not funding our entire little venture. Let's see how much we need, then find out how much 'Daddy' is willing to pony up, hmm?"

The waitress came around and Rebekka paid the bill, leaving a generous gratuity. As the group got up and gathered their things, Buffy flashed them a sunny smile. "Now who's ready to go shopping for party dresses and party shoes?" she squeed. "And y'know, makeovers might be fun..."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a line between knowing someone and knowing someone. Jaunt didn't know a single person at this party but at one point or another he had known them in passing or a meeting or even just in a friendly 'hello, bring a friend' moment. Ninety-nine percent of the people at this party had no idea whose house it was or who was hosting it, they just heard 'party in the hills' and was rolling. He moved through the rooms doing meet n' greets and occasionally doing a shot from some vacationing hottie's cleavage, but for the most part... they were just faces in the crowd. Not that it dampened his party spirit at all, he was still wildin' out and actin' a fool all over the place, but everyone in awhile at parties like this it dawned on him that this would probably be his life forever, no home, no friends, no family... just faces in the crowd.

Pit Bull's (featuring Chris Brown) International Love blared at an ear bleeding volume as tens of people danced and gyrated in what appeared to be large, open sitting room or possibly living room. As the ladies ad Damien entered the music hit them with a tangible force, enough to make you go 'woah' all Keanu style.

"Ladies!" Jaunt about scared the hell out of all of them as he shouted over the music... from behind them. There was no one behind them as they approached the house. "God damn, god damn... you lovelies are looking fine." He gave a passing glance to Damien. "S'up." Apparently Damien didn't grab his interest as much as the hotties. "I'm so glad you decided to come on by. You are looking, wow, so now that you ladies got some gloss on your lips, let's get some hands on your hips!"

He swept them through the threshold. "Right this way..."

Isaac smiled an easy smile. All the worries and cares of his 'normal' life forgotten in the combination of vacation and Julija. Off handedly he told the driver where they were going, and trusting the complete stranger behind the wheel to get them there, he focused on not letting his new acquaintance stay a stranger.

"Russia. That's very interesting. I'm from America, but my parents immigrated from Russia. In fact, I still talk to my babushka there every high holiday."

They talked during the ride, Isaac showing off how fluently he knew Russian, even though he wasn't born there. They spoke of home, though he mostly let her do that. His family never made talking about the homeland that interesting, and come to find out where Julija was from wasn't that far from where his parents had lived. Isaac invited Julija to have dinner with him, and hoped their seats for the show weren't too far apart. Dinner and a show are always more fun when you know the person you're sitting next to.

Didn't know when/how you wanted to try and whisk Isaac away. If the cab driver takes them somewhere other than the show, he'll be oblivious until the cab stops. Otherwise, he'll have a nice evening and see how close his seat for the show is to Julija's.

Mary...no, Vivianne she had to remind herself...stared at Jaunt reproachfully, her heart still hammering from the momentary scare he'd given her. After she'd had time to detox a bit from the morning's excursions, she'd started getting nervous about traipsing around in public with so many people around. Suppose one of them was DEHA? Suppose they were recognized?

She did indeed have gloss on her lips; Rebekka had insisted. She felt uncomfortable in the pink and violet minidress that had been picked out for her too, which barely came down over her underwear. She kept fidgeting and tugging at the skirt's hem, trying to coax it down. It fight very...snugly too, making her feel almost as exposed as those women on the beach. They'd tried for over an hour to get her to walk in high heels, and finally had to settle...to the momentary exasperation of Rebekka...with lower, thicker heels. She had finally gotten to the point she could walk without falling over, but only slowly and carefully, and there'd have been no thought of dancing or any other complex movement. Pragmatism had finally won the day.

Her brown hair was up in a fetching tousle though, and the smudges Rebekka had put around her eyes made her look...older, Mary thought. She wasn't sure what she thought of it yet. The material composition was still kind of yucky, but after the fiasco with the shoes Mary had felt concessions were in order.

If she'd understood exactly how Rebekka's makeover had changed her from 'adorably cute' to 'rather sexy' she might not have let it happen. As it was, she waited just inside the door for someone else to catch up to her before venturing deeper into the pit of loud music, deep shadows and garish lights that was Jaunt's partay.

She did put her hands on her hips though, as suggested. She wanted to blend in, after all.

The shopping trip had been interesting for Lamia. She's seen little more than white or green linens for the past seventy years or so and it seemed that entire new fabrics had been created in that time. Along with a plethora of dress designs, accessories, new makeups, and shoes that made her laugh out loud at first. She managed in heels much better than 'Vivianne', and so had been strapped into a shoe sole with a spike for a heel on one end and two straps of black leather-like material making up the rest of the footwear. It would have been quite Mediterranean had it not been for the near hand-and-a-half difference between her toes and heel. They would be the first article abandoned if the night proved more eventful than they were hoping for.

The manicure, pedicure, and primping sessions 'Buffy' insisted on were quite a welcome relaxation from the pace of their shopping, as was 'Damien's' face when Rebekka insisted that he join them "so you don't look out of place, dear. And no, I won't make you wear makeup....well, maybe some nude lip-gloss...." Even the ear-piercing session had gone smoothly, allowing Lamia to wear silver hoops for the evening. She'd have to re-pierce her ears after she took the hoops out if she ever wanted to wear that particular jewelry again, but the pain was small and she had always enjoyed the look and feel of piercings, especially along the ears.

Like Mary, Lamia had then been dressed in a skin-tight dress that came only a few inches down her thighs - and unlike Mary's ensamble, her own precluded the lacy intimates that Rebekka had wanted to outfit her with. Lamia had stepped quickly out of the lingerie shop Rebekka had chosen and insisted that if she was required to wear such garments that something plain and preferably brown be bought for her. Rebekka pouted and moued and did her best to cajole the dark-skinned mutant inside; eventually Lamia threatened to show up at the party in the clothes they had arrived in the city in (in her case, a dirty white t-shirt, dusty jeans, a large clunky boots) and 'Buffy' let it drop.

Now that they had finally made it to the party itself, Lamia suppressed her more primitive instincts when 'Marques' surprised them. Her eyes narrowed as she tried to figure out exactly where he'd come from, but Rebekka's laugh reminded her that they were here for something other than glaring at their host and she visibly relaxed after a moment.

"Marques, your home is quite beautiful," she remarked diplomatically, trying to establish a connection with the youth in case she was needed to 'run interference' for Rebekka later. She smiled, her sentiment genuine even if her motives were less alturistic, "Thank you for inviting us."

Lamia's Outfit
CrazyBeautifulBlkXD.jpg

CrazyBeautifulBlkXDADDITIONAL.jpg

Well, on the whole, the afternoon and evening leading up to the party had been... interesting. The association that men gave to manicures and makeovers was... a less than pleasant one in the society of today - but Jeremy had been willingly taking or giving it to both sides in Il Impianto, so what the hell.

And being pampered wasn't something to scoff at either. The one thing that had been really mixed - was the shopping. Grabbing something for him hadn't been hard - but then he had to sit through the girls and their fussy shopping - albeit different fussy for Lamia and Mary.

At the party, Jeremy had a nice black shirt, gray well-heeled looking casual suit jacket, and black slacks too. 'Damian' certainly had the appearance of money to burn, and he had a bag slung over his shoulder with self-made recreational chemicals.

The surprise appearance of Marques was momentary, and Jeremy kept his smile and his cool. "C'mon, Vivi." He told Mary reassuringly, "Let's go, dance... I'll keep guys from making moves on you."

Jeremy's Wear
aa238487-d4e4-447f-9c9f-5d4e6ab0b6be.jpg

Jaunt watched Damien walk off with Vivi and quirked a brow. Vivi was about as out of place as a person could get and gave off a vibe like she hadn't looked sexy a day in her life. He mumbled a snarky comment but only Buffy and Lamia were close enough to hear him. "Dude, I don't think that'll be an issue... poor girl looks lost as it is..."

That didn't stop him from keeping his eyes locked on Vivi's barely covered posterior as she walked off. "Yeah," He replied to Lamia, his head turning slowly to finally acknowledge her. "I like it. It's a get away, really. I spend so much time on the road I'm rarely ever here. Hell, I forget where I put stuff half the time." He pointed at some random vase that was god awful ugly. "Like that. See? I'm not even sure why I own that, it's atrocious. Later, when we're all good and drunk, we'll throw it off the roof. It'll be fun."

He faked a flush in his cheeks and smiled when Lamia thanked him for the invite. "Oh, hey, don't sweat it, seriously. I do this every time I'm in Rio. I invite a few big time peeps then I invite about a hundred people I don't even know and let them all mingle. Big ass social experiment you could say. Like this one time... goths and ravers... wow, was that a bad idea... I still wake up in a cold sweat. But hey, enjoy yourselves! Food, drinks, dance... come on in and check your inhibitions at the door cuz we getting ign'ant tonight."

"Not a problem!" Buffy giggled, twisting with Marques' hand around her slim waist and with her aquamarine eyes sparkling, ambushed him with a brief peck on the lips that hinted at a far more; with her towering heels on, Rebekka and Jaunt were of a height. "I left my inhibitions back in LA a long time ago. Somewhere."

Rebekka had been as surprised as the others with Marques coming up from behind them, but she had hid it behind a squeal of delight. She still inferred something... off about 'Marques' reason for the party, but if it was a lie, it was a smooth one.

Rebekka let the music wash over her and embraced it, hips gyrating, light glinting off the hoops of gold dangling from her ears and wrists and glistening off the metallic sheen of her leopard print, backless dress. Her blond hair was tied up in a high ponytail, the end falling to dance between her bare shoulder blades. This party was just what they needed, with the inclusion of the VI-Peeps, and more importantly, a chance at having fun.

They were mutants and free, some for the first times in their lives, or after a very long time, but they were hardly acting like it. They could have relaxed and taken enjoyment in something as innocuous and potentially exhilarating as getting glammed up for a party... but didn't.

Mary squirmed with every little thing that touched her - as if life wasn't dirty already, and what of it? Getting dirty was part of life and fun to boot - Rebekka wondered what Mary would do if she ever got laid. Lamia was better, but still was too keen at looking at everything in terms of accomplishing their 'mission.' At least Jeremy was showing some potential in taking pleasure with 'work.'

They were worried about DEHA, but it wasn't as dangerous as they thought. People didn't want to believe in mutants, in people being other, and would make elaborate justifications if they witnessed something incongruous. Even if they ended up caught in a lie, the vast majority wouldn't even conceive of the truth.

"We've only been here a few days, and I already love Rio," Buffy gushed with a grin, a slender finger toying with studs on the collar of her halter-style dress, as she let Marques lead her and Alexis to the bar en-route to the impromptu dance-floor on the deck surrounding the pool. "The people, the clothes, the beaches - it's so laid back here. I think I'm gonna tell daddy to buy a place down here. If I'm gonna be coming down here more often, I don't always want to stay in a hotel."

Rebekka glanced coyly at Marques over her strawberry daiquiri, letting the surrounding conversations spell over her, seeing if any piqued her interest. A quick, satisfying affair with one of the saleswomen in the background at one of the upscale clothing stores had left her fluent in Portuguese. And filching her wallet, another identity to use, if needed.

Isabelle Gomes had an attractiveness that was bought to help her land a well off husband, but the poor girl repressed her attraction to women for social acceptance. Rebekka was more than happy to give her an outlet, and besides, she didn't get to sleep with women as often as she would have liked.

"You come to Rio, often, Marquey?" Her lips twitched in amusement as her eyes turned to Damien and Vivianne. "Rio is gonna do Vivi good - she's kinda had an sheltered life and this is kinda sink or swim for her.

Buffy's Dress and Hair

clothing-dress-jj1-3016goldleopard_1.jpg

clothing-dress-jj1-3016goldleopard_1_1.jpg

balmain_hair.jpg

"From time to time." He replied, leaning against the bar. "I travel a lot in my line of work. Bahamas, Jamaica, The Netherlands, Europe, I'm all over. I just got in from Egypt today. Closed up some business with a client and wanted to take a few days off before heading out to..." He laugh and spread his arms wide. "Who knows where. All work and no play... as the saying goes, right?"

Blonde, great body, from L.A.... spoiled rich girl, living off Daddy. Figures, I win, I owe me a drink. "So, Daddy's swimming in Republic Dataries," He slipped into geek mode with an obscure Star Wars referance. "But, uh, what about your friends? They seem a little... well, not as peppy as you. First time to Rio?"

The whole cell stunk of DEHA and Jaunt was ready to bounce, but not before he found out who they answered to. The personalities clashed too much, they were over eager... everything Jaunt did was too easy. Not to mention Rebekka was too perfect. He'd seen this act before, including the sweet innocent little Mary-type who was oblivious to the bad things of the world right up until she disembowelled everyone in three miles wit ha ball point pen with fifty three different martial arts styles.

"There's only one cure for a sheltered life," Jaunt continued the ruse. "Rio, well, Cancun comes in a close second, no sweat girl, we'll have her out of her shell and walking bow-legged by the end of the week. Rio has that power over people."

"That's the plan," Buffy chirped, arching a pointed brow at Lamia as if to say, 'see, he gets it.' "Vi, she grew in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming or Dakota or something. Practically a prison as I see it. She barely knows what to do with freedom."

The amusement in her voice almost seemed to suggest she was referring to something else. Though Rebekka knew she was playing her part perfectly, she could tell behind the glibness, Marques was getting anxious, perhaps even to the point of bolting, but curiosity was making him linger. She didn't think there had been enough from Lamia, Mary, or Jeremy to give them away yet, so that left Marques own circumstances to raise his alarms.

Lots of travel, no future destination he was admitting to - Marques was running from something. A thief perhaps - or in other shady business - by some of his comments, or maybe being hunted for another reason. She lips curved wryly, it was even possible, if unlikely, he was on the run for the same reason they were.

Regardless, despite not doing enough to arouse his suspicion yet, his paranoia was causing him to tense as if he suspected more than he could know. It was unfortunate, since for Rebekka, it didn't matter to her what he had in his past - other than a niggling curiosity to know - she was just satisfied to know he would hardly turn them in, if he even knew what for or to whom.

Vaguely concerned what Lamia might do if she thought they were comprised, Rebekka tilted her head at Lamia, girl-tongue to leave the two of them alone for a moment, though a keenness to her eyes silently said she was working an angle. Watching Lamia glide off, Rebekka sprawled out in a deck chair and crossed her legs, a finger beckoning Marques to come join her.

"So, an international man of mystery, hmm?" Buffy cooed. "I like that! Are you a spy? I've never met a spy before." She had met many spies and agents for various intelligence agencies and fucked many of them too. Her lips pursed in a moue of consideration, nose scrunching up cutely. "Though, I guess, if they were good spies, I'd never know, right?"

She watched him with appraising eyes as she took a long sip of her daiquiri, twisting to lay her great legs across his lap when he sat down. His easy grin never wavered, his admiring eyes not refraining to get their fill, but there was a stillness to him, let a gazelle poised to flee. I think I'm hitting his buttons too closely, coming off as too good to be true, so a trap. A pity, she rather liked him.

"Seriously, Marquey, it really doesn't matter to me what you do." And in Buffy's honest dulcet tones, Marques could almost hear unspoken: or what you've done, or what you are. There was a remarkable equanimity to the busty blonde, as if nothing he said could shock her, or that she would hold it against him.

"You seem like a fun guy - that's enough for me. Sure, we didn't tell you everything about us either - we've only just met after all." Her chuckle was the audio equivalent of plush velvet. "it's not like I'm gonna tell you how many sex partners I've had. Yet. But we weren't lying when we said we were looking for a good time and a place to stay in Rio." She gestured at party surrounding them, men and women both looking on in envy. Buffy seemed utterly relaxed. "This party seemed like a good place to find both."

It was a risk, but not a big one. If Marques fled, the party would hardly collapse - hopefully one of them would have a heads up on the perfect bit of real estate for their needs. And if not, well, they had a night out and there was always tomorrow. If Marques stayed, then they both might have a good time and who knows, perhaps would mutually help each other.

She raised an expectant brow, sipping her strawberry daiquiri, silently saying the ball was in Marques' court.

"C'mon, Vivi." He told Mary reassuringly, "Let's go, dance... I'll keep guys from making moves on you."

'Vivi' gave 'Damian' a grateful look and followed him into the party.

"I'm sorry," she said to him, as quietly as she could while still being heard by him, "I know I'm messing this up. I'm trying though. I just don't know what to do."

There was a time, when running a con, you had to throw your cards on the table. Both of their bull shit detectors had gone off awhile back so at this point, offering up any more deception was simply uneeded posturing. When you're a mutant who could circumvent the globe in any direction, making you nearly impossible to track, you got used to taking a risk or two (what did you have to lose?), and being Jaunt, who was simply arrogant and cocky as they came... it was... well, it was another day. What was one more DEHA cell to dodge? He'd spill it, duck out, and be balls deep in Asian yum-yum within four hours anyway.

"Alright, I'll bite." Jaunt finally said as he relaxed enough to allow himself a seat. One thought and he'd be miles away if the cell popped, so he wasn't too worried. "I'll tell you what I think, 'Buffy'. I think Buffy isn't you're real name, I think you've had a lot of sex partners and I think if you wanna place to crash, I can hook you up, but you have to cut the bullshit and gimme the dirt. Because honestly, you and your friends right now, they all stink of DEHA to me, and there's no way my mother is going to catch me with a metro sexual, an innocent girl, and two fine ladies with perfect tits. I'm a walking hormonal imbalance, but I'm not stupid. So... c'mon... you have thirty seconds to make me believe."

So, mutant it would seem... Rebekka burst out with rich, sensual peals of laughter, a hand held to the perfect tits heaving with mirth Jaunt was admiring, despite his suspicion. Here they were looking to set up a safehouse for the beginnings of a resistance to DEHA and lo and behold, they stumbled across another mutant, free for some time despite his apparent youth it seemed, if he wasn't in fact Born Free.

"No, my real name is not 'Buffy,' thank Gawd!" Rebekka admitted in immaculate Buffy-like tones, her grin growing wider as she wiped a tear of laughter from the corner of her eye. "And the reason we all stink of DEHA is... Quid pro quo?"

After peeling his eyes off Rebekka's chest, he gave her a sharp nod. It wasn't that he was opposed to a little - or a big - lie here or there, or anywhere, really, but sometimes you had to give some to get some.

"We all stink of DEHA because as of just recently, we were all in their custody. We were broken free. I won't tell you by who, but if you stay current on terrorist attacks in the news, you might be able to figure it out." Rebekka's voice was carefully modulated so it didn't carry, and the way she sat forward, leaning towards Jaunt, it seemed they were talking about... other things. "And there are more than a few of us."

If she was being honest, if not modest, she would claim she was a master of deception. And one of the first rules was knowing when you tell the truth. Without saying too much, of course. But maybe they would come out of this excursion with more than a new base of operations.

"We have a place in the middle of, like, nowhere, but it's totally hard to light a revolution from there. So we're in the city looking for a place to 'stay,'" she explained, fingers making air-quotes. "Someplace secluded, but with ready access to a city and the finer things in life for... all sorts of things."

Luscious lips curling into a playful smirk, Rebekka leaned back, regarding Jaunt with heavy-lidded, mischievous eyes. He had the distinct impression she could feed him bullshit and make him believe it's caviar, but right at this moment, she seemed totally on the level - if not revealing everything.

"And what of you, 'Marques'?" The airquotes were mocking this time. "If you want to go your way, and us ours, two ships in the night, I completely understand - though nothing says we can't drop anchor side by side for the night for a little company." Her blue-green eyes twinkled as she folded her hands behind her neck, her figure posing to best advantage.

"But think on this - aren't you tired of always being on the run? Alone? If we can vet you - after all, you might be a plant for us - and I really hope that isn't the case - you'd be surprised what we know or can find out - then you might not have to be."

"Tired?" Jaunt looked at Rebekka with a sarcastic measure of doubt. "Seriously? Today it's Rio. Tomorrow it'll be the Bahamas, Asia, Miami, London... although I've no idea why, the weather blows there this time of year. I've only been here sixteen hours and look at me, fine women, fine booze, and a party all around. Tired ain't the word, 'Buffy'." He air quoted with a smirk. "Living. This is what I do."

He was lying, of course. Jaunt loved his life, he truly did, but it was indeed tiring not having any real roots anywhere. A permanent home from which he could leave from and return to after his numerous adventures all over the globe. He loved his powers and what they allowed him to do, he just didn't think he should be persecuted for a anomaly in his DNA he had no control over.

"Name's Jaunt." He said calmly. "Yes, that's my real name, might not be my birth name, but it's who I am." If he was the 'Jaunt' then he had been a thorn in DEHA's side for several years, one of only a few mutant who, try as they might, were uncatchable. Be it through divination, skill, information networks, or just dumb luck, he was among a small list of mutants that were always one step ahead of the DEHA. In Jaunt's case, he could simply move several times faster than they could track him. Sure, they'd come close a few times (way too close once or twice that Jaunt didn't like to admit to), but always in the end, he was gone and on his way before the sniffers could track his trajectory.

"Was locked up my whole life, til one day I wanted to leave, so I did." He made it sound so easy (for him, it kinda was), but he left out the parts where he was spoon fed their doctrine because his mother was one of their finest lap-dogs. "I like your style, 'Buffy', you tell enough but not too much. Me? I quit caring a long time ago. About them," He motioned to all the people partying, oblivious to mutant kind. "About you." He motioned to Rebekka. "I just live and stay under the radar. Revolution is nice idea, but two hotties, an innocent n00b, and a metro... which by the way... who dressed him? Do not a revolution make. Y'feel me?"

"Look, not to tell you your business, which pretty much means I'm about to," He laughed and tossed her a charming smile, probably the only one Rebekka had seen in long time that offered a true measure of sincerity that didn't hint at 'I'm just playing nice to get in your pants'. "The whole DEHA thing? I don't quite trust you on, yet, and if you're smart you won't trust me either. Sorry, but that's all I can offer you. Well, aside from a party and a place to crash..."

"C'mon, Vivi." He told Mary reassuringly, "Let's go, dance... I'll keep guys from making moves on you."

'Vivi' gave 'Damian' a grateful look and followed him into the party.

"I'm sorry," she said to him, as quietly as she could while still being heard by him, "I know I'm messing this up. I'm trying though. I just don't know what to do."

"It takes time." Jeremy said, taking her by the hand and starting to guide her through some of the moves. "Time and patience, and you'll learn." Soon enough, they'd ingratiate themselves enough, and 'Damian' could start passing out goodies to the interested.

Vivi had to steel herself not to jerk her hand away when he took it in his own. She'd meant to make some kind of thin plastic or rubber sheathe...but no one else did that, did they? Looking around she saw people touching each other all over the place, and no one seemed to care. More importantly, they weren't getting sick or dying or anything. Neither was she, for that matter.

Everyone was being so patient with her...but she knew having to deal with her was starting to wear people out. It wouldn't be long at this rate before she just stopped getting invited to these sorts of things, and they just kept her in the pyramid, making things for them. Stuck in a nice, small, clean room, making things for people.

The realization hit her like one of the bullets from the fight at that house. Numbing at first, but then white hot. Driving the breath from her lungs.

Was that what she wanted? To be back where she'd began? Maybe with different people in charge, but the same basic situation. She'd risked so much; betrayed ideas and people, nearly died and almost certainly killed, just to get OUT of that. It was like she was two different people...the one she'd always thought she was, and this other Mary who couldn't speak...who could only communicate with feelings. And she was scared. Of everything. She wanted to go back.

Vivianne suddenly stopped dancing...though she hasn't really been dancing so much before as just kind of absently mirroring his movements...and pulled away from Damien. "I'm sorry," she said, "This is too distracting. I need to think for a second. Um."

She looked around and spied the refreshment table off to one side. "I'm going to get something to drink. Do you want anything?"

Rebekka arched both pale brows at hearing the name 'Jaunt,' letting him know she was aware of it. One South African official she had slept with had seen received a request from DEHA to the DRM to be on the lookout for a 'Jaunt' in Johannesburg and Pretoria, but he hadn't seen the file yet, so Rebekka hadn't actually known was Jaunt looked like. She did now.

Hidden behind her genuine amusement bantering with Jaunt, Rebekka felt a pang of wistful melancholy. It seemed it had taken Jaunt far less than the seventy-five years it had taken her to walk away from captivity. It wasn't that she was envious, precisely. More like regretful, wondering what her life would had been like outside the custody of DEHA, regardless of how gilded her cage had been.

"No apologies are necessary, I wasn't expecting anything more." Her eyes glinted playfully as she giggled. "And no worries, I only trust you just far enough to probably get myself in a tiny bit of trouble."

Rebekka raised her sleek legs off Jaunt's lap, swinging them over his head and crossing them as she slid over to sit next to him. She leaned back slightly, hands griping the edge of the lounge chair and facing Jaunt, pool-lights gleamimg off the golden sheen of the leopard-print dress stressed across her impressive curvature.

"As for Revolution..." She pouted, a hand gliding down Jaunt's taut chest. It was a simple touch, yet somehow seemed more intimate than a blowjob. He wondered what her full, slightly parted lips would feel like. "... I see things more you way, than theirs. I have other ideas on how to... affect change, rather than confrontation."

Like Jaunt, she preferred to stay under the radar too, if potentially in a plain sight sort of way, but unlike him, she did care about humans. She knew them too well to not to, at least in some fashion.

Over Jaunt's shoulder, Rebekka saw Lamia lingering close, She tilted her head at the purportedly ancient woman, indicating all was well, then flashed Jaunt a smile any salesman would give his first born to be able to emulate.

"If nothing else, maybe we could work out a deal to our mutual benefit, exclusive of anyone else." Surprisingly, her tone wasn't entirely suggestive. "But in the interest of not-really-full-disclosure, I should mention there is far more to this nascent gathering of genetic freaks than two hotties, a cute noob, and one dude. Don't write it off yet, without giving it some more thought, hmm? You might find more than you're expecting. Even if, or especially if, you are a DEHA pet."

There was a challenging light in her eyes, daring him to take a chance on finding other mutants free of DEHA chains. If only he knew, not long ago, Rebekka had been one of the most pampered lapdogs under the purview of DEHA, through the South African Department of Resident Mutants.

Rebekka languorously looked around at the other party guests with a smoldering grin on her lips as Jaunt considered her words. "I'll take up your offer of the party - I have some mingling to do and some fine real estate to acquire," she chirped exuberantly, back in full Buffy mode. "As for a place to crash... we'll see how the night goes, eh? By the way, name's Rebekka - just not tonight, 'kay?"

'Damian' shrugged, though he knew 'Vivi' was dealing with more stresses, or so it seemed. "Sure, pick anything. Be careful if you're drinking beer, and don't drink too much."

Mary gave him a distracted smile and nodded, but his words didn't really hit the processing center of her brain. Even if it had, it might not have mattered much. None of the mutant back at the temple were hard-drinking types, so she'd never really seen the effects of alcohol firsthand. She hadn't seen punch before either, and didn't realize those organic hydrogen-oxygen molecules weren't perfectly normal parts of it.

She picked her way diffidently through the crowd to the table and plucked a cup from the stack of them there. After a moment of dithering she selected a little sandwich with a toothpick to hold it together on a napkin, and ladled her cup full of sparkly ruby-red fluid. It had lots of compounds she recognized; citrus acids and sugars chiefly, as well as that 'sort of sugarlike stuff' that she wasn't really sure about, but had seen in drinks before.

Nothing weird, so no red flags. She did a routine purge of dust and grit and enzymes that had probably come from spit and various other nasty things that she'd long become accustomed to weeding out, as automatically now as someone picking the stuff they don't like off a supreme pizza slice. Thus made safe, she drank her punch.

It was sweet, and tart, with a funny slightly bitter aftertaste she wasn't sure she liked. Even though, she finished the cup off and filled it again. It wasn't so bad.

Lost in thought, Mary didn't notice when someone came up behind her until they tapped her shoulder. She squeaked in alarm and turned around to see a strange man there grinning at her. He had slightly brownish skin and black hair that was held in place by smears of animal-derived fatty acids. His silk shirt was open three buttons exposing some of the hair on his chest.

"You're American right?" he asked with that wide grin. "How are you liking the party?"

He had to yell a little, over the music. Mary noticed he was still kind of dancing too, even while talking to her. Did he expect her to join in? She furtively looked around to see if it was normal, but the room was chaos...people in pairs and groups, constantly breaking off and reforming with no apparent reason or rationale, and the music and lights were a constant assault on her senses...and that was just her human senses.

What was a little weird was that this didn't make her as skittish or afraid as she might have expected. In fact, when he asked if she was having fun, she was a little surprised to find that she kind of was.

She gave him a smile and brushed at a bit of her hair that was falling over her eyes. "Yeah, I'm American. This is my first party, but I think it's pretty fun...I only know a few people here though."

Oops. Had she just said it was her first party? That was probably a mistake. How would she fix that?

Before Mary could think of something, the man offered her his hand. "Come on," he urged. "The party's not here at the table. It's out there on the floor. A beautiful woman like you's got no business hiding over here."

She felt distinctly dizzy as she stared at him, trying to simultaneously figure out how to fix what she'd done wrong, and react to what he'd just said. She was beautiful? That was a really nice thing for him to say! She reached up to take his hand, giggling a bit when he squeezed it gently. Did he think it was going to squeak? There was a bath toy like that at the temple. A duck, she thought.

"What I said before," Mary informed him as he led her away from the refreshment table. She quickly downed her cup one last time, then dropped it. "This isn't really my first party. It's my...you really think I'm beautiful?"

Oh crap, did she drop that cup? This wasn't like her at all. She started to look back, but the man who's name she still didn't know pulled her forward. "Of course," he answered easily. "I have eyes, don't I?"

He did, she thought. Two of them. They were pretty eyes too. But wait, she hadn't finished explaining! And there was a cup. And she didn't know his name!

"Brazil," Mary said, trying to juggle all this at once. She felt fuzzy now. It was hard to keep up with her own thoughts. "My first party in Brazil. I dropped your name. I mean, the cup. I should..." She looked back again.

"Davi," he said, pulling her attention back with that easygoing smile that made her feel all woozy. But then, she felt woozy no matter what now. "My name's Davi. Nevermind the cup. Someone else will get it. What is your name?"

"M...Vivi." She smiled at him, nervous at how close she'd come to using her real name, but it was hard to stay nervous...it vanished into the fuzz now. Then Davi started to dance in earnest, a seductive swaying...and he kept looking at her and she didn't know what to do!

After a second he seemed to realize her predicament and slowed down, offering a hand again. Mary stammered, "I'm sorry...I don't...I've never..."

"Shh," Davi interrupted, and took hold of her arms. "You're thinking too much. I see you looking around, trying to tell what to do from everyone else. Everyone dances though. It's in your blood, in your bones. Just close your eyes, and don't worry, and don't think and let your body do what it wants."

Those words would be used again later that night if Davi had his way of course, but for now he was in earnest. The mark of a great seducer was that they were in earnest in every particular, if not in the grand scheme of things.

Mary's brow furrowed, but she just couldn't hold on to her reservations or fears. The fog swallowed it...so she closed her eyes and tried to relax. Really relax.

(OOC - Moar, but I wanted to give other people a chance to post, possibly to react/respond. If not, I shall continue soon!)

Jeremy let Mary go, and swim in the ocean for a while, after he saw her dancing. Ok, maybe she was getting a bit intoxicated... Well, she needed to get used to these things - no need to interfere for now. If something got forced - she'd be able to protect herself.

In the mean time, vices were well in his element, so Jeremy turned and integrated himself into the dancing. Soon he was slinking and twisting with a number of lovely ladies. A raunchy bunch, as Jeremy had hoped: the flirting and grinding pushed well into the 'sex with clothes on' category.

After all, Rebekka wasn't the only one with powers that could be brought to bear in seduction, especially when Jeremy dealt with chemicals only limited by his imagination. Snaring the dedicated support of the proper knowledgeable or wealthy ladies wouldn't be too hard...

Jaunt smirked a few times and nodded to most of her offers. She was quite a lady, that was for sure. The sort of woman that any man would kill to be with, and probably had at least once in her life. She talked like him, moved like him, even knew the dialect like him, she was a con artist, born and bred it seemed and he admired someone with her measure of confidence. "All's fair in love and war, darlin'." He said with a polite smile.

She could tell he liked her, but it wasn't obvious in what manner he liked her. With most guys it was eas to tell: the attraction was a physical one. Flesh, sex, passion, release, repeat. Of course, there was no way Jaunt couldn't find a woman like Rebekka appealing, she was perfect in every meaning of the word, but she was also a mutant and it was part of her nature to look that way. To him, she was pretty because she was supposed to be, not because she actually was. Cliche' as it sounded in his head, he'd just have to get to know her better... "Well, don't let me keep you from things. My home is your home for the evening. Dance, drink, play, mingle. Go destroy some unsuspecting fool's life... hell, I planned on robbing most of these people tonight anyway. Most are just rich kids whose Daddy's spend all their time giving them money instead of teaching them common sense. Besides I'd hate to see you go, but I'll love to watch you leave..."

Jaunt's eyes narrowed as he witnessed something that displeased him greatly. Davi wasn't a bad guy, Jaunt just didn't like him, mostly because he knew what was on Davi's mind and the innocent one obviously wasn't catching onto. "If you'll excuse me Re-... 'Buffy', it appears you little friend needs a save."

He stood up and took a step into the shadows that danced along the pool side and was simply gone with a slight *thoomp* in the air. Rebekka didn't see it but the sudden sound in the air startled her, Lamia saw him though. One second he was there and the next, nothing. He was gone, disappeared. Then there he was when she looked about the party, galloping down the stairs after having come out of some obviously pre-planned travel route that made it look like he was moving all about the party, mingling with guests.

"Davi!" Jaunt approached with a megawatt smile and his arms outstretched. "There you are, bro. Been looking all over for ya, chief." With a stiff pat on the back he leaned in, interrupting the dance, and just silently whispered in Davi's ear. "This one's off limits, I'll only warn you once." And just like that the smile was back on, no one the wiser that Davi was just threatened by a guy who would wipe the floor with him. What Mary witnessed next was Davi simply walking away, no good bye, no polite handshake, nothing. Just an expression of shock and fear on his face and he backed away then turned and walked off.

"Sorry about that," Jaunt said sweetly, smiling at Mary. "Davi is a decent guy, but he was out for something I don't think you were ready to give up just yet, unless roofies are your thing, in which case, you two are meant for each other."

"How about introductions over a dance?" Gently she found his hands on her hips, helping her move a bit easier to the rhythm. He smiled, knowing she wasn't a good dancer. "Listen to the beat, not the lyrics, just relax. I'm Marques, by the way, you came with Rebekka, didn't you? I like her, she's nice." He used her real name and the Cheshire grin he gave her definitely told her he knew more than he let on.

Mary didn't know where to look at first...Davi was leaving and this new man was here...his name was Marques which sounded French to her and it was pretty, but...but...her head was swimming and fuzzy and she felt a little dizzy...but she also felt pretty good and despite a moment of concern for Davi, she finally favored Marques with a confused smile.

"I don't know...what a roofie is."

And then, waaaaaaaaay after the fact, she realized what she'd heard. Rebekka?

Her eyes widened, and she searched the party for a moment, panicked. Had DEHA found them? Was Rebekka captured again? Or dead?! But no...she was over there, on a stool with some men around her, and they were drinking out of tall glasses with umbrellas and chunks of fruit in them.

Mary sighed in relief and gave Marques a guilty smile. "So...you know Rebekka? Wait no, you were at the beach, and you didn't know her then." She frowned and rubbed her temple. "Sorry...I feel really stupid. What's going on?"

"Just relax, and dance with me." He replied, speaking softly into her ear so she could hear him over the music. He was turning on the charm, but more to mess with her than actually seduce her. If Rebekka's story was on the up and up and these guys weren't DEHA recon/capture team, then if the feces hit the oscillator Mary's oblivious nature made her almost a shoe in for getting re-captured first.

"We know each other in a manner of speaking. You, see, I'm like you. I'm running from a place I never want to return to." A woman's body was like a playground to him. There were so many places a man could touch, gently, that would set a woman's body ablaze with sensuality, none least of all along the hips and small of the back. Disguising it as part of the dance the tips of his fingers gently glided all across those areas blended in along with the rhythm of the music. "I've agreed, on a probationary period, to help you and your friends. There's still some trust issues, but we share a common enemy and that's at least a foundation to start from."

The warmth of his breath tickled her neck and ear lobe. In Jaunt's mind messing with poor Mary was cruel, but if it turned out she was DEHA, his conscience would be clear, if not... well, it was still pretty funny and opened up the window for future conversations like 'Hey, remember the time I seduced you at that party and you totally fell for it? That was funny, huh? Ah... good times.'. In the end though, Jaunt was a prankster, not a bastard, regardless he'd already promised himself that he'd be good to Mary, especially now that'd he'd spoken with her; she seemed sweet. "So, I'm on your side, for now. My real name is Jaunt, but, like your friend, try to call me by my alias. I'm sorry about Davi, he's a player, and a 'roofie' is when someone spikes your drink with rohypnol," He explained, unaware that Mary was probably the leading expert on compounds on the planet. "Long story short, I'll explain the bad stuff later, don't wanna ruin your good time, but, for me, just try and stay away from the guy, he's bad news."

He gave her a charming smile, the sort that Rebekka could call up on command and tilted his head a bit. Mary, unfortuneately had the awkward look of a girl that she wore on her sleeve. Jaunt guessed mistreatment at the hands of DEHA, abusive parents, molestation, etc, could all be to blame. Hell, it was almost impossible to find someone these days who didn't carry some sort of baggage around with them. Being locked up in a DEHA facility and never experiencing everything life had to offer actually popped up last on his list. The point was, it was easy to tell that Mary had little in the way self confidence, the way she was uncomfortable in the dress and shoes explained all that to him. Girls like Mary just needed a little encouragement is all. "I can see why he was interested though. You certainly are beautiful. You seem shy though, reserved. Rest assured, lovely, you are among friends here. Tell me about yourself, we'll trade, story for story."

Jaunt...rohypnol...beautiful...

Trying to concentrate on everything he was saying made her head spin. She tried moving along with him, and found that as long as she imitated his movements, it was pretty easy to keep up in that sense. What was harder was listening. Not because she wasn't interested...it was more like she was TOO interested. When he smiled, she felt her heart shudder and change its beating. Her skin tingled in all the places he briefly touched her even after he'd stopped. It was hard to stay focused, and not just zone out looking at his face, nodding when he nodded, laughing when he smiled.

But he was like her...like all of them! Somehow he'd managed to escape by himself, and stay free. The idea of it sent a giddy blast of hope and elation through her. Jaunt found himself on the receiving end of a very cute, really quite drunk, girl's beaming approval.

"My name's Mary," she said, giggling a little at how very bad she was being. Not supposed to use real names! She finished off her cup of punch and let it fade away in her hand, returning to the nothingness she'd pulled it from. "You're supposed to call me Vivian though," she added dutifully. "i'm almost nineteen, and this is the first real city I've ever been in. I've read about them...but they always seem like dangerous places in books. This has been really fun though. It's a lot better than stuck in a big pile of rock in the jungle. Even if the air here is...full of..." she shakes her head and waves a hand around in the air, trying to illustrate it.

"It's full of stuff," Mary explains. "It's coming out of cars. The pipe in the back, and the spinning part in the front...it's car-smoke. It's pretty awful stuff. But there's so much to do here! And so many people..."

Abruptly she remembered Jaunt's request. Her face goes beet red, though it hadn't been far from that before. "Oh, that's not a story. I'm sorry. I have a story...it's just...I've been feeling weird lately...I might catching something, even though it's not cold out."

Lamia had been blending in, using the crowd to her advantage to remain remarkably unnoticed as she kept tabs on her companions. Jeremy had made his way away from the main room, his expression intent, and she let him ago, assuming he was going to find those that would appreciate the recreational application of his gifts. 'Marques' and Rebekka finished their conversation, freeing up the goddess of thought and lust for a more malleable mark. Jaunt's interference between Mary and the predatory Devi earned an exasperated sigh that turned into a worried frown when Mary disappeared the cup she'd been holding. She'd only taken a few steps when Devi made his next bad decision of the night.

Hands slipped over her dress, pressing down on every curve of the grey-eyed woman, teasing at her skin through the lace over her hips. Lamia froze, caught in thousands of flashbacks for long enough for Devi to press himself against her back and murmur something against her ear. He grinned as he felt her shiver against him, wrapping his arms around and imagining just how she'd feel later on, without the cloth between his fingers and any and every inch of skin on her. The start of new song - electronica with a heavy beat and a strong percussion melody - snapped her out the nights and nights and nights before.

Her hands slipped over his and for a moment they looked quite the attractive couple. Devi's eyes widened, his pupils dilated in pain as Lamia gripped his hands, pressing and torquing nerves and joints in just so ways. If he moved, the pain would go from excruciating to unbearable; as it was, he could barely breathe, let alone cry out.

"I am not exactly sure," she said softly, her cheek pressed against his in a mockery of a lover's whisper, "what a 'roofie' or 'rohpynol' is, but I am an excellent judge of intonation and character. I assume it is some form of narcotic or pharmaceutical, one that makes it easier for you to seduce women. Unfortunately for you, I am neither drugged, intoxicated nor interested. I am, however, vindictive, offended, and well-versed in pain."

She moved his hands, peeling him him off of her and turning in his arms. Her slap nearly spun him, red blooming across his cheek immediately. "Touch me again," she nearly screamed in Portuguese over the music, "and I'll break a bone next time."

She strode over to the punch bowl while he stumbled around in stunned disbelief and returned just as he was getting his bearings. Luckily he was decked out in shades of black, so the cherry red punch that drenched him from head to toe wouldn't leave a visible stain. "If you must drug a woman to your bed, broxa," she pressed on, "you deserve only humiliation and castration. Be grateful you've only suffered the one this night." So far, she managed to keep from adding aloud.

Jaunt and Mary both winced when Lamia's palm made it's mark in Devi's history books under 'one that got away'. "Wow, slamin' body and a hell of a right hook... you sure do have some interesting friends. Tell ya what, darlin' why don't you follow me for a sec, if you're dizzy it's prolly not good for you to be dancing." Jaunt said to Mary.

Once the theatrics were over he guided Mary over to Lamia, near the punch. He didn't mention to her the cup trick, figureing it wasn't the time or place to have a discussion about mutant powers (not that he was one to talk, Mr. "I hit the shadows and thoomp"). "Hi... 'Lexus', right? Great, so uh, nice work with embarrassing that guy, he'll prolly drink bleach sometime later this week, which is cool with me. Also, couldn't help but notice the way you've been staring me down all night, not that I blame ya, so let's talk about that a little later, kay? Great. Yeah, so uh, it looks like your friend here is feeling a bit light headed, I'm guessing tipsy or buzzin' pretty good, you did tell her the punch was prolly spiked, right?"

Seeing as how Jaunt's eyes never really left her cleavage as he was speaking to her, she got a dose of what sort of man he was, or least she thought until he continued. "Just wanted you to know where she'd be. I'm taking her up to the master bedroom so she can relax for a spell. She's claiming to be dizzy and it's quiet there so we talk about," he leaned in, almost dipping his head into her caramel colored tits. "Super secret power stuff... like not making drink cups appear and disappear... last thing we need is a drunk mutant making power faux pas."

He straightened back up, his arm around Mary who looked healthy, if a bit flushed. "I just thought it proper to keep you, her friends, informed. Feel free to join us if you like."

Mary plopped down on the bed and Jaunt kneeled down in front of her. "Vivian, sweetie, look at me for a sec." He inspected her expression with a chuckle and then got up and walked away to a mini-fridge. Cracking the top off a bottle of water he handed it to her. "Looks like you have a nice buzz going on gorgeous. First time with alcohol?"

Mary...yes, no, Vivian took the bottle gratefully and drank it. She felt unexpectedly thirsty after drinking all that punch.

She shook her head. "No, it was punch," she explained woozily. "Mostly sugar...some of that citrus stuff that fruit has...water...and it had something else in it too, but I see it in drinks all the time so it can't be..."

Suddenly her mouth opened in a horrified 'o' of realization and she looked at Jaunt with a scandalized face.

"That's alcohol? I'm drunk? Oh my god, no wonder I feel so weird! I've read about people getting drunk, and it always seemed so bad because they throw up and wake up with headaches..." She got unsteadily to her feet and looked around. "Oh no, that's going to happen next, isn't it? I'm going to throw up...I already feel sick..."

Jaunt laughed and pushed her gently, but firmly, back down to sit on the bed. "Relax," he kindly instructed. "Drink your water. You'll be fine."

Mary gazed up at him with wide, scared eyes, but obediently drank more water. The advice turned out to be good, because she realized...once she'd stopped panicking...that the solution was simple. A thought was all it took to erase the alcohol from her system. She couldn't do much about the portion she'd already metabolized, but immediately she started feeling better.

"This is really embarrassing," she confided after finishing the water. She looked at the bottle for a moment, then realized what she'd done downstairs. "Oh no, I...I made that cup disappear didn't I? Oh my god, I wasn't even thinking!"

"Um, I think that's just nerves." He smirked and sat beside her on the bed. "Hon, unless you weigh about seventeen pounds with the metabolism of a rabbit, I doubt you're drunk, it was just one cup, but I'm sure you're starting to buzz though. Got that happy feeling? Lil' dizzy with a mix of the 'I don't cares' and the giggles?"

Mary nodded in agreement as she took another sip of her water.

"I don't think anyone saw the cup trick, so don't sweat it. Honest mistake, these things happen." He couldn't tell that she'd flushed her system of the alcohol, but knew she'd keep the buzz on for at least another fifteen to thirty minutes, providing she laid off the sauce. "Enjoy that feeling, girl. That's you inhibitions sailing out the window for a little while. Let your guard down, go with the flow and hell, just be normal for a bit. I'm not the preachy type, but trust me you look like you could use some loosening up. If you're going to have a few, try and remember that we're different and if we aren't in control sometimes bad things can happen." Jaunt had become a lot of things from a man-slut to a thief for hire, but his altruistic side always won out in most situations. Mutants not thinking could lead to 'normals' getting hurt, or worse. "Disappearing Dixie cups is kinda cool, sweet thing, It's not what I woulda' picked for 'power of the year', but hey... any ways, my point is, it's not the kinda attention you want. Think before you drink."

His brow furrowed for a moment after he said that and Mary wondered if he had heard or seen something she hadn't until his face scrunched up in a harsh realization. "Oh, my god... I sound like my mother..."

"Remember the forest," said quietly from just inside the door. She was watching the hallway for strangers straying in their direction - an incidentally ensuring a path out of the room if it was necessary. "A loss of control by the divina puer can level mountains and move oceans. More than once city has been buried or drowned by carelessness." Her tone was a mix of cautious and caring warnings; there was no recrimination or anger for what had happened in Germany, just a reminder of the cost of panic.

"Your mother had a touch of wisdom then," Lamia said to Jaunt, "if those were her words."

"He is right." She nodded to Jaunt as her attention turned back to Mary. "You need to learn to relax and enjoy yourself in the world. You have been increasingly upset and on edge since we met. A touch of alcohol can help with that, though preferably not alcohol that has been...roofied." The pause was slight, but Jaunt could tell that she was unused the word. "Perhaps there are methods of relaxation that might suit you better. Heart of the lotus, hashish, or sex - though I would not suggest a partner from most of the men here." She shrugged, "And a woman might be a better partner at first. She will know your body better and there is no possibility of pregnancy."

Jaunt was going to say something profound to help Mary understand what Lamia was trying to say... but all he heard was 'have sex with a woman'. He raised a finger to speak but only a indecipherable sound came out. "I was going to say something profound, but yeah... she said sex with another woman and that pretty much trumps anything I was gonna add..."

"There are so many things wrong with those words, I don't even know if there's a good place to start." Jeremy said, appearing from behind Lamia and rubbing his head. "First off... why are you talking about 'private stuff' in front of-"

"Rebekka told me already, dude." Jaunt said, back to eyeballing Lamia's assets. Jeremy sighed, putting two and two together. "Ok. First off, take two. Alexa, why the hell are you suggesting Vivi take drugs or have sex yet. The problem, correct me if I'm wrong... she's in a completely unfamiliar world and she still needs time to get used to it... Relaxation does not mean she has to get involved in something dangerous or something THAT intimate so quickly. Just let see what things are like, if not get involved directly."

"Other big issue. You are never going to blend in with those terms for drugs... use 'pot', 'cocaine', and so on." Jeremy approached Mary. "I can get rid of the intoxication if you want?"

Mary stared, aghast, as practically everyone else turned up at the door. It was flattering they were concerned about her, but had they heard everything? And Lamia was in practically one breath cautioning her against alcohol, then suggesting she try drugs. And sex with a woman? How would that even work? Lamia was so weird sometimes.

Her face was almost indigo when she stood up, hands up in a warding gesture.

"It's really okay, everyone...I'm fine. Really! I just didn't realize there was alcohol in it. I already took it back out though, so I'll be fine. And I know what happens when I lose control, and I won't again, I promise. And I'm not really looking for any drugs, and I really don't want to worry about sex and all that right now."

She laughed nervously. "I can barely manage my own life right now, let alone a baby." Fanning herself...when had it gotten so hot in here?...Mary wound up with, "I'll be okay. I know I'm always kind of...a party pooper, and I'm scared of everything and...I'm sorry about that. I think I just need time to see things and...and..." how had thing thing she read once gone..."sort of skin my knees a few times, so I can see how it's not so bad."

Ugh. That book had been about a five year old too. Was that where she was?

Mary refilled the water bottle Jaunt had given her and took another drink. Very hot in here. Oh yes.

"I think I'm all right to go back down." She turned her big, dark grateful eyes to Jaunt. "Thanks."

"You suggest she watch sex first? Educational, perhaps, but not relaxing unless she finds she is one that enjoys such." Lamia arched at brow at Jeremy's remonstrations, "Nor are the pharmaceuticals I suggested dangerous, unless one is already reckless or stupid. I would not let her be either, nor alone during her time under their effects. I have presided over countless such celebrations and ceremonies before."

She shrugged, "Also, I do not know what 'pot' or 'cocaine' are. Is one heart of the lotus and the other hashish?"

"A woman, then," she distractedly replied to Mary. "You cannot get pregnant from intimacy with a woman."

There it was again. Lamia had this weird quality that Mary often thought of as being motherly...but like, in reverse. The anti-mother. She'd say things like, Does that hurt, child? Good, a little pain now will strengthen you to endure the agonies to come, or, You seem tense, here try some illegal narcotics and random sex with others of the same gender. She'd say it HOW mothers were supposed to say it, but not what they were supposed to say.

"It's okay," Mary replied cautiously. Weirdness aside, Lamia DID know a lot, and she didn't want to anger her. "I just..." I'm afraid if I admit I can't even imagine that, she'd sit down and describe it to me, and then I think I'd just die. "...not really in a sexy...mood right now?"

Oh God, was sexy even a mood? Had she blown it?

All Jaunt could do was laugh. There was a two fold side as to why, one: because this shit was funny. As. Hell. He though he had issues being alone! These guys were together and it was more chaos in forty five minutes than he could muster solo in three days. It was comedy gold. Fox Television would have eaten up the rights to dysfunctionality like this in a heart beat. Second, it took the heat off Mary for a second, he could tell she was having a time of this. "Oh, my god..." He just fell back on the bed laughing before letting out a deep sigh to catch his breath. "You guys are a flippin' trip, man. You guys always like this or did you break out the serious mental dysfunctions just for me?" *THOOMP*

He disappeared from where he was lying on the bed only to reappear next to Mary with the startling sound of air filling the void in dimensions. Momentarily there was a waver in the fabric of reality where he disappeared and reappeared, then it faded. He was standing, up, his posture having completely and instantaneously changed in the amount of time it took them to blink. "Look, hotness, if you feel you're okay, then you're okay. You don't have to be in any moods, sexy or otherwise, at least, not for me. I just didn't want you making a fool of yourself, or y'know, acting all mutanty in front of the pleebs. Go on down there, mingle, and get your feet wet, you'll be alright. There's sodas and stuff in the kitchen's fridge, all the alcohol is kept in the ice tubs anyway, so don't sweat it. If you don't feel comfortable, come find me, I'll introduce you to people, or we can just hang n' talk girl, s'all good to me and if someone gives you grief, I'll never be more than a few rooms away." He gave her a gentle rub on the back. "Just, damn girl, try and relax... will ya?"

He approached Lamia and gave her a preadatory smirk. "As for you, my matronly nubile nubian, I'm thinking we should share a dance and a lot more conversation about drugs, alcohol, and sex with women. I've only just met you and seem to know three of my four basic dietary requirements." He waggled his eye brows in a was that, when mixed with the retarded smile on his face, made him incredibly unappealing and yet charming and clever all at once. "Seriously though, I kinda wanna know about the lot of ya and you seem to be the only one who don't give to flying social farts about networking with the crowd. We'll be shit faced with some quarter bounce and you can tell me your plans for world domination. If you're looking for a good lair, I've been to every major volcano you can think of plus I know a couple good realtors."

Lamia was fairly well versed in English. She knew that, but her English had come from doctors, high ranking military personnel, and politicians - meaning that Jaunt was nearly incomprehensible to her. His encouragement of Mary and offer to be a protector for her for the evening came through clearly, though, which managed to save him from a far more violent reaction to his goofy flirting with Lamia; he was simply too over the top to take seriously enough for her to really feel threatened by him. Which might make him all the more dangerous, but she was willing to give him the benefit of doubt for the moment.

"I wished to the city," she said, as if that explained everything about her presence and difference in temperament from the others she'd arrived with. "I will dance with you and talk with you, but tonight is the night for indulgence or observations with narcotics, for myself at least. I could recommend some, though I do not know what might be available locally." Her eyes flicked between him and Jeremy and she shrugged, giving her second genuine smile of the evening, "Though it seems distance would not be a barrier to you. As for my plans....it will take more than an evening's decadence for me to part with them to you." There was a mix of both invitation and challenge in her tone.

"As for volcanos, I would be careful there. My daughter is quite fond of them and not one to pick up on....subtleties." The smile became a wry grin, "You might encourage her....mmm....interest, a dangerous game with her; she is quite passionate."

She motioned out the door, towards the greatroom and the dancing there. "You wanted a dance?" That peculiar mix had taken over her tone again, promising a prickly but interesting time - if he felt he was up for it.

Besides I'd hate to see you go, but I'll love to watch you leave...

"I don't mind watching you leave, either," Rebekka cooed in reply as she smiled in amusement, watching Jaunt go rescue Mary from a playa, then escort her upstairs.

She had no intention of keeping an eye on them, rather she was willing to let Mary go on her own and give Jaunt a chance too. She had memories of raising many children - overall, it seemed children allowed to make mistakes were the ones who grew up to be more successful, more independent, more whole, than those protected from life and living.

Rising gracefully to her feet and ostentatiously straightening her dress for the benefit of those eying the currently solo beauty, Rebekka's grin deepened noticing Lamia make her own impression on the playa. Strutting inside to mingle on the impromptu dance floor, she considered taking her own shot a Devi later... though one less physical in nature and more one involving... sexual embarrassment.

Gyrating in time to the music, the men more than glad for her presence, the women less so, Rebekka accepted a drink with a giggle and kept them coming. There was an art to playing the party bimbo when there was something you were looking for. You wanted them to remember your tits or your ass, to remember the blowjob in the bathroom or the romp in the bedroom, but not care about a word you said all night or think of you - rather than the idea of you - the next day.

It was an art in which The Archive was well practiced.

The dance floor was too loud to really talk, but it was a good place to see and be seen for later networking. Getting a man to talk about what he owned in an attempt to impress a girl was child's play, especially when you were ineffably - if ditzily - charming and attractive.

Simply talking, Rebekka managed to break up two couples and found out some reasonable places in the outlying parts of Rio to search for a suitable place, but nothing specific. A fifteen minute fuck with a short but broad-shouldered and extremely well-endowed man gave her all she needed to know to steal a reasonable account in the Caymans. His roughly vigorous passion was quite satisfying and what she learned of the drug-dealing asshole (which was nearly everything) would leave her completely guilt-free swiping his bank account.

No ideal spot for a base yet, but it was a start...

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

"Alejandro! What are you doing with this whore?!" Rebekka demanded crossly of a hawk-nosed man with a stylishly shaved beard coming to a point, jabbing an accusing finger at the tall, thin woman at his side. "What of Marisol?"

"What did you call me, you over-inflated bitch?" the woman said with a dark-eyed glare.

"Excuse me, do I know you?" Alejandro asked, looking down his sharp nose at the busty blond giving him a deeply disapproving frown that seemed eerily familiar. "And what of it? Marisol broke the engagement seven years ago."

Shit! Rebekka blinked and otherwise hid all signs off her consternation. Sometimes, people she knew by way of lives she had stolen made her react as if she knew them as the other life did. In this case, she had slept with Alejandro's father, a Spanish businessman, who had been very fond of Marisol. Guess the wedding never happened... too bad, she was a pretty girl, smart too...

"Oops! My mistake!" Rebakka said with a little giggle-burp, then plastered an uncertain smile on her lips. "I'm... kinda drunk a little. 'Scuse me, I think I need..." Rebekka staggered around and started away, her steps slightly crooked.

"Wait! I never told you my name! And I never mentioned Marisol!" Alejandro took a step, reaching out for Rebekka, only to be held up by his date.

"This Marisol, is she anyone I should know about? You almost married her?" The woman crossed her arms, tapping a foot, and Rebekka made her escape.

"What the fuck, Devi?!" Buffy shrilled, storming out of a bathroom. "I only stroked you, like, once, and you cummed all over my dress like a fucking virgin. Yeah, I think I'll find someone else for the night. Thanks for nothing, for realz. Less than nothing."

It really wasn't Devi's fault. Rebekka had needed something to distract from her misstep with Alejandro and Devi was an easy mark, thinking Buffy was an easy mark after Vivian and Alexis. Unfortunately for him, Buffy pretended to be.

He couldn't know Rebekka was likely the most sexually experienced woman on the planet, knowing exactly how to touch a man to get the results she wanted. Nor that she was naturally more intrinsically sensual, in touch, voice, even scent, than any woman should be. Devi, and little Devi - who to be fair, wasn't little - didn't stand a chance.

Rebekka strutted through the party, face scrunched up in mock disgust, in search of a bikini to borrow and some club soda to clean the stain while Devi huddled in the bathroom in terminal embarrassment. He'd get that bitch.

Jackpot! Basking in the hot-tub, a brightly coloured cocktail in hand, Rebekka had found a place that seemed perfect for their needs. A lovely, extensive estate built into one of Rio's many steep hills at the end of its own road, on the edge the Vargem Pequena neighborhood. It had belonged to a drug lord, but was going on police auction after he got incarcerated for life - and probably killed in prison.

Rebekka had found a bikini in one of the bedrooms - tiny in the fashion of Rio and straining across her lush curves - and after a few professional licks at her dress with a sponge and some club soda, she had made her way to the hut-tub. With men out-numbering women more than two-to-one, she was more than welcome.

It only took a game of One Breath To Blow, which she easily won. And unlike with Devi, Buffy played the witty and funny SoCal girl, easing any hard feelings. Even the women seemed impressed, some asking for pointers.

"Not your fault, boys. I'm, like, totally the Lebron James of blowjobs," Buffy boasted playfully. "You have basketball here? Oh! Or that soccer guy, but you call it football here, right?"

"Pele?" one of her satisfied victims ventured.

"Right! I'm the Pele of blowjobs!" Buffy grinned broadly, arching her brows at the other women. "Know how to twist a man around your lips, and you can twist 'em around fingers!"

Rebekka sighed, leaning back and sinking in the hot-tub, finishing her drink and hoping the others were having as much fun as she was,

Location, Location, Location
The estate that Rebekka will propose of for the base of operations in Rio

"Aight, I'm game. Lead on." He ushered her out the door and offered her his hand to lead her out to the dance floor. "And, no," he smirked. "Distance is not a factor for me. Real name's Jaunt," He introduced himself for the third time that evening as he guided his 'date' through the throngs of people, smirking devilishly and chuckling as he and Lamia passed by the large windows where the hot tub was on the other side where Rebekka was plying her trade.

He didn't seem to mind talking openly in front of the people, and Lamia gave him a cautionary glare. "Don't worry Kitten, no one's paying any attention to the shit I'm sayin'. Example," He reached over and tapped a random dude on the shoulder. "S'cuse be, bro." The man help up his iPhone and was about to say something, when Jaunt cut him off. "Yeah, that's great and I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finnish, but I just had to tell you man: I can teleport and circumvent the globe in less than ten minutes. That shit wild or what, hombre?"

"Dude, no shit?" The man nodded right along with the motion of Jaunt's own body language. "You got Twitter, bro? Hit me up."

With a grin he nodded and patted the man on the shoulder and looked back to Lamia. His lips pursed as if hold back a sarcastic grin he just shrugged. "Y'see? No one pays much mind to shit any more. They're faces are buried in their Facebook, Twitter and iPhones. Have you noticed that most people have spent half the night texting instead of getting drunk to the point where I can take advantage of them? It's a damn shame."

"Anyway..." The music was less 'poppy' and more the cultural norm for Brazil with a techno twist to it. No lyrics, it was made purely for dancing to. Jaunt showed he could certainly take charge as he gave her hand a tug and sent her spinning into his waiting body. He held her ther efor a minute, securing her there in his arms as he held her hands tightly. The heat of his breath, the closeness of his body, the gyrating of his hips... it was hard to tell if he was being serious in his attempt to seduce her, playing more of his stupid games, or just teasing her for kicks. "If you prefer to lead, lemme know. In the mean time, this one's an easy one, just follow the beat, keep in step, and work that ass, baby." Several moments passed as Lamia swiftly caught on and before he knew she was moving like she'd done it before. "So, you seem to be the sensible one, although I haven't talked to the Older Brother figure yet. You're either a smart one, or an old one, our kind generally doesn't tend to get as jaded as you without a lot of years to do so, or an intellect vast enough to stunt the 'fun centers' of the brain."

They were like poetry in motion to the rest of the crowd, no one could move like them in such a rhythmic perfection. "Met an old Grey Beard once, guy was like one hundred and six and barely looked like he was past sixteen. Great guy, had a ton of stories to tell... DEHA put a bullet in his skull in Somalia when he resisted and met them at the door with a vest full o' grenades. Poor bastard. I don't know a lot of brainiacs." He spun her about and coiled her back up so her back was once again pressed against him. "They bug me."

He held her in synch with the beat as it slowed to a rhythmic thump and symphonic sound that encouraged a moment to slowly gyrate and take a moment of intermission mid dance. "I'm not your enemy," He said suddenly. "Not yet any way. I'll help you guys if I can, but you have to trust me a little bit, and I can already tell you don't, and rightfully so. So here's your opportunity, you have me all to yourself wit hall these people around, so I'm not going to try anything stupid, like touch you in places I'm sure you wouldn't mind being touched. You, my mocha skinned queen, have all my attention... what're you going to do with it? Just dance? Interrogate me?"

He as frustrating as a person could be. Nothing about his expression gave away whether he was serious, flirting, or just plain being juvenile, but there he held her in a slow rhythm as they waiting for the song's tempo to pick back up.

• 1 month later...

“Ah, America. The promised land.” Julija was smiling, and she could be mocking Isaac. If she was, he couldn’t tell, but after what you heard about foreigners and their opinions of the US, one could be cautious. However, she added, “I’ve actually been there.”

“America?” Isaac asked. That explained why her English was so good, if she had stayed in the coutry for a while. “When was that?”

“For my job.” Julija’s smile stiffened a tough, and she played idly with the end of her gauzy scarf. “My last job, that is. I was an assistant to a political attaché.”

“Was?” Isaac probed with a tactful tone, making sure he was clear she could refuse to answer.

Her smile wasn’t happy. “I had an accident on the job, and couldn’t handle the rigors of the work anymore.” She didn’t look injured to him and Isaac suspected she was talking about emotional damage. “Now I’m with a multinational corporation, acquiring materials.” She smiled a little more brightly at him. “But tonight I am on vacation and I hope I have made a new friend.”

Isaac smiled brightly at her. “I hope so too.” Their conversation steered to his work, which she found interesting. Thankfully, it wasn’t that creepy morbid-fascination that far too many people had in forensics but a healthy interest in the science of his job. The conversation carried them all the way to the restaurant, and then until they realized they were at separate tables. In a moment of bravado, Isaac reached out and stopped the waiter. “Would it be possible to seat us together?”

The waiter looked dubious but said, “Let me see what can be done.” Even he looked a little surprised when he came back ten minutes later and told them, “Yes, I was able to rearrange the seats.”

Julija giggled and happily took his arm. “This is excellent!” she said happily. Isaac had to agree and dinner was much more pleasant for having a pleasant dinner companion. The show was incredible and the food wonderful; Julija was delightful and knowing that he didn’t have to pay for any of this made him extremely happy. He wasn’t sure how he was going to top the rest of the holiday.

After the show, the two left together, still having a good time. They hailed a taxi, and gave the hotel as the destination. After that, Isaac ignored the scenery, having too much fun talking with Julija. So when the car stopped in a deserted area and driver turned to him with a gun in his hand, Isaac didn’t notice. “Both of you. Give me your money,” the driver said in roughly accented English.

She shouldn’t have answered the phone. Sorcha knew this and had known it the moment she’d answered. She admired Jerome’s free-wheeling lifestyle, but she was ass-deep in studying. “And all of this was the first five minutes of getting here. You would not believe this party!” Jerome laughed his dorky laugh, making Sorcha roll her eyes. The young pre-med rolled her black eyes at her classmate, even though he couldn’t see. She was in Missouri, in her dorm room, studying her ass off. Jerome was in Brazil on his daddy’s money, trying to make her feel insignificant because she couldn’t afford to fuck off to Rio for break, fiscally or scholastically. “It’s so wild! Some dude just told me he could teleport. He was fucked up!”

“Teleporting? Yeah, sounds awesome.” Sorcha sighed as she switched her phone to the other ear. “Just what I wanna do, listen to high morons lie.”

“And he was so specific about it, too. Ten minutes to circumcise the world.”

Sorcha blinked. “Circumcise? I take it back, you’re the moron, Jerome. Remember to study for the anatomy final between watching people get crazy and snorting crack off a whore’s ass.” Grumbling, she hung up and went back to memorizing the lymphatic system.

As Jerome dialed another friend, a satellite high above the atmosphere sent a signal to an office in Washington D.C. The message was dumped into a workstation, where a young brown-skinned woman sighed, scrolled it up and listened to the conversation. Her tired demeanor faded as she played through the phone message, then focused on the last few minutes of the call. Her fingers moving on her keyboard, she tagged the conversation and passed it up the chain.

Within ten minutes, Brazilian agents were notified of a potential free-range MOG in their city.

Archived