Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - [2.2] Vacation

Dawn OOC

"Just because they are not paying attention now does not mean they will not remember later," Lamia reproved gently, then let the matter drop. It felt good to dance again, even if Jaunt occasionally came dangerously close to being tossed off the dance floor with his wandering hands.

She frowned when he mentioned the DEHA killing another of her descendants, speaking only loud enough for him to hear her over the music. "I am old. I do not know how old. We did not number our days in my youth." She shrugged, "I am the first, the mother of our race. However old that is. And I am not a," her lips quirked as she tried out the new word, "brainiac. My children are gifted. I am gifted by my children."

She relaxed enough touch her forehead to Jaunt's, their body's brought into a perfect unison of movement with the contact. "It has been a long time since I was a queen or goddess. It will be a time more before the order of nature is restored, I think. But time is my other gift and burden."

She pulled back to look him in the eyes, her own grey irises reflecting back the patterns of light in the room. "Tell me of you life, Jaunt the Traveler. Of your family and of this world. I am curious."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, she's off her nut... Lamia's God Complex was nothing new to Jaunt, many mutants possessed such delusions and each one had some story to tell. Being the “Mother of Mutant-kind” was a new one, but a tad unoriginal. He’d read comic books, and Lamia was pretty much telling him the tale of Apocalypse, the first mutant, born perfect and everyone worshipped him as a god. Or better yet, Blade Trinity, where Dracula was the first vampire, born perfect and never had any reason to ever evolve. Her body was rockin’ but the marbles rattling lose in her skull were definitely deflating his boner.

She meant well, he supposed, from a matronly point of view. Hey swayed and remained impressed with her ability to keep up with his natural grace, but slowed and broke off the dance, nudging her to follow him as he led her by her hand. “Walk with me.”

They wandered a bit, wading through people and passing through the kitchen where Jaunt grabbed them both bottled water from a huge tub of ice. “Not much to tell really,” He began as the warm night air clung to their skin tightly. “Mom and Dad fell in love, had us, my sister and I. My mom got sucked into the whole DEHA doctrine once they found out she’s an el’muto. Needless to say, my Dad about shit a brick, he never knew she was hiding that kind of secret, y’know? Anyway, he stuck it out after she left, even moved us around a lot to keep us off her radar so we wouldn’t get taken by then, and her.” He leaned against the banister and swigged his water, rolling the bottle over his forehead so the chilled wetness from the ice would cool him off.

“In the end though, he sold us out. Chose her over us and she screwed him over. She ruined his life, made sure he’ll never have a decent job again, so he’s now an alcoholic and a worthless mall security guard. Jenna and I were taken and given the whole spin cycle in DEHA etiquette, except Jenna is a norm, so she was given the royal treatment with options to join up and get excellent medical and dental coverage. Mom? Eh, the crazy bitch actually thinks one day they’ll treat her like an equal if she sucks hard enough and swallows sweetly.” Lamia could tell this subject was a very personal and touchy one for him. The way he nervously rolled the bottle in his palms and peeled away at the label. “Frankly I just wasn’t gargling any of their mayonnaise so one day I up and split, been running ever since. No cell they have can hold me so they tend not to know what to do with me even when they do catch me, which they’ve done a few times.” He shrugged and smiled. “Hey, gotta make em’ feel like they’re doing an okay job right?”

He sighed, retuning to his somber mood as he looked over the gorgeous ocean view. “So, now, ‘Mom’ tracks me all over the globe, hunting me like a dog, Jenna hates her but I can’t save her and support us both, not while DEHA is still power. I promised her I’d come back for her… that was years ago. I visit, quietly from time to time, but I can keep it up forever. So, there you have it: My mom is a crazy bitch, my dad is worthless norm alcoholic, my sister always in another castle, and I have a serious case of White Knight Syndrome…”

Leaving the women to practice new oral skills on the men, Rebekka climbed from the hot-tub, silvery water glowing from the deck-lights cascading from her glistening curves, a broad smile on her face. It was a very fine evening and she was nearly as satiated as she ever got.

After toweling herself down, she padded languidly back into the penthouse, her grin wicked with faint longing. What would make the night perfect is a long visit to an elegant and exclusive BDSM club or an assignation with someone who had studied the prurient works of the Marquis de Sade. Oh, how I wish I could have known him in the flesh... Alas, she did not know of any such in Rio or Brazil and calling up an old client would not be smart idea at the moment - the DRM would be watching for that.

She slipped into the room where she had left her dress and shoes, unabashedly giving the rutting couple occupying it a lingering look as she collected her things. "Hey honey, save your attention for the babe you're with, hmm?" Rebekka giggled as she felt the man ogling her while she moved towards the door. "She'll 'preciate it a hell lot more."

Rebekka found an unoccupied bathroom and stripped out of the teensy bikini. She considered herself in the mirror as she tied her wet hair up in a pair of casual pig-tails. There was a sort of freedom in playing the Bimbo, but the over-wrought curves weren't exactly to her preference. Once they left the party, she was going to slim them down some to something that didn't require a specialty store to find underwear that fit. Maybe make a few other changes, too.

She pulled on her shiny, leopard-print dress, slipped on her towering heels, and dumped the bundle of string she had been wearing into her purse. Just in case. One last glance in the mirror, then she flowed back into the party to find her companions. With subtle skill, the mutant succubus deftly avoided getting tied down by the attention turned her way.

Rebekka found Lamia and Jaunt on the far side of balcony surrounding the penthouse, the ocean behind them. She hadn't heard what had been said, but she read the usually care-free Jaunt's melancholy in his body language. She joined them at the railing, leaning her arms across the top as she looked out to sea, listening to the timeless lapping of waves over the sound of traffic below, letting the silence above stretch comfortably.

"I'm done workin' the party, I've found what we need," she purred after a long moment. "Buck up, Marques. Now the rest of the night is for fun." Not that she had ever bothered separating work and pleasure, they were often the same to her. "Speaking of fun, where is our young ingenue and our man with the party favours?"

“That clear to you two?” Slugger looked at him with a bland expression designed to infuriate. Hendricks refused to rise to the bait, instead turning to the even less pleasant member of the team. Rip bothered him on so many levels he could hardly stand to be around her. There was the whole cat-thing, just as a start. The rest of his issues with her were too numerous to count. Of course, he didn’t like mutants; as far as he was concerned, they should all be killed as soon as they were found. Dr. Walthers was correct—keeping them around and breeding them was a bad idea.

Slugger answered with a voice as bland as his face. “Sure, we’re to spearhead the attempt to capture a free-range mutant running lose in Rio. We’ll have backup on the scene, as well as three more Rapid Responders and a group of regular soldiers. Seems straight forward to me.”

Rip, you're in now. Feel free to reply or just post your mindset and status.

Typical minder mindset - babysit the dirty mutant catgirl and probably not support her if she gets in over her head... I'm used to working on my own. Nevermind the bollocks around me. Idris thought. They codenamed her Rip for a reason... probably because they feared what she could potentially do with her claws.

"Just mind your mission profile, smeghead, and you'll have me back safely in your little cage soon enough." She said, a cute and wicked grin on her face. "I'm gonna scope out the area... look for your little lost lamb. Shouldn't be too hard if this is a capture mission... odd you asked me to do this little gig."

She popped out her claws through her finger-tip less gloves so she could start climbing up any wall she finds... all buildings made of stone or thin masonry make her job quite easy. But when she does pop her claws out in a certain way to remind her minders what her vocation truely was. "Let's go. I got the Daily Mail waiting for me when I get back."

"They picked you because you're ugly, furball." Hendricks had been told not to bait her, but he didn't care. As long as she wore that silver collar, he was in charge. "Gonna use you as the shock and Slugger as the awe." Her partner was already rising to his feet, his expression distant. The silver collar glinted around his neck, just like the one circling Rip's neck. "Out to the truck."

The van was marked with Brazil's symbols, but it wasn't part of the country's fleet of vehicles. It was DEHA's own, maintained by the local branch of the organization. Together, Slugger and Rip climbed into the back, the taciturn mutant sitting across from Rip. The feliod waited for some questions about hairballs or catnip, but Slugger was silent. After a moment, Rip realized she could hear the ocean, even over the sound of the wheels. Her eyes narrowed as her ears swiveled.

"That's me." Slugger's voice cut through her thoughts. "It sounds like the ocean around me. Gets worse in tight spaces."

Rip relaxed. "Oh. Is that part of your mutation?"

Slugger's lips twisted. "No, it's part of me. Nothing to do with my powers."

"So where-"

"No offense, but I don't want to talk." Slugger looked away. "Don't wanna know. Just wanna get this done and be done."

Rip realized that the sound was more associated with Slugger... white noise... no it was the ocean... perfectly rendered down to the sound of the roiling. In a way, it reminded her of the few times a year her family could head to the beach... the better days. She remembered the nice swimsuit she wore one year.

She sighed. "That's what we always do, kiddo. Best way to do it is fast, clean, with as little of a mess as possible. Or in this case no mess."

Her ears flicked back.

"But I do have to ask, any last minute tactical insights before we go to town? If we're working together, it might be a good idea to get our SOP together before we make the shite hit the fan, boyo."

"Or hopefully no shite, and no fuss."

"Which is why I'm just trying to give you time and not trying to barrel down with advice." Jeremy said. Though his narcotics business was woefully unfinished. "Do you want me to stick around?"

Mary shook her head and gave him a grateful smile.

"No. It's okay. I'm glad everyone's worried about me, but I feel like maybe I need to just see for myself how this all works. I can do it, because I know you're all here to make sure I don't wreck it all...but it's better if no one's watching over my shoulder all the time."

She takes a deep breath, trying to get the butterflies out of her stomach.

"I'll be careful. Thanks, Jeremy."

And then she headed out, back down to the party, already deciding what she'd do next...

Jeremy smiled a bit, before deciding to catch up with Rebekka and see if she had made progress. Pleasure was fine, sure, it could be worked into this... still, they did have a mission... and too much jacking off would be an issue... though that was Rebekka's thing, he lewdly joked to himself.

Still, he went looking for a bit, before he found Rebekka, Lamia and Jaunt out watching the waves and the water. "So," he asked to Rebekka, "any luck?"

Rebekka turned with languid grace, pressing the back of her waist against the railing, her turquoise eyes sly as she unconsciously posed for Jeremy's admiration. She smirked with wanton and relaxed ease.

"Oh, honey! Me? Get lucky?" Rebekka scoffed. "When all you need to do is breath..." Rebekka breathed most distractingly, the stitches of her dress creaking. "... or smile..." She demonstrated by licking her luscious, curving lips with a coy tongue. "... to get lucky, it's nothin' to get a man to give you the key to all he has..." She pantomimed taking a key out of a lock and dropping it into the long line of her cleavage. "... even if he don't know it."

She patted Jeremy fondly on his cheek, her slim, smooth fingers a teasing caress as she chuckled. "Relax, Damien, have fun. We've only been here for hardly half a day. I've found the sweetest little place already for Daddy." The playful arch to her brows told Jeremy she meant David. Her eyes cut suggestively towards Lamia and the party and presumably Mary.

"You don't think that was the only reason we came to Rio, do you? I'm having such a blast, I'm feeling generous tonight." She giggled as she continued to digest the memories she had stolen tonight. She certainly had a better understanding of Rio now. Her breathing unconsciously deepened as she learned of where she could fulfill some of her darker desires. "Give me a day or three to play some financial shell games with some private accounts of several unaware men wealthy enough to spare them and I'll gift Daddy with the place when it comes on the market."

The temptress practically squealed, her eyes bright. "Vivianne will be awesome for furnishing our sweet pad.. Go, have fun, get laid, maybe make some local connections, and stop worrying. Everything is going fine."

“I’m not a tactician. I’m a marine biologist.” Slugger’s reply was stated without inflection or shifting his position. “Here’s a hint, Rip. Don’t try too hard. Do the minimum, because these fuckers don’t deserve better.” Finally his eyes popped open. “And yeah, I know they’re listening. Let ‘em.” His eyes drifted back shut.

Idris' ears lower. "In our business the lesser would get you killed... go all in or leave this damn mudball for your final reward..." She lets off a frustrated laugh. "...and yeah... I stopped caring myself. I just don't intend on dying because I was a damn fool."

Remembering what little she was told before arriving, she started considering taking a different approach. Strike fast, no fancy shit, and maybe they might actually let her watch TV tonight."This is the only chance I get to stretch... to really flex. So I'm goin all in."

She looks in the pockets of her tactical vest, checking over her gear.Making sure whatever they allowed her to take was all secured. The last thing she needed was anything rattling around. Not that they were well geared... although she felt stereotypical in her black tactical gear. Putting her helmet on, she sat back.

It bothered her that she had no gas mask... hopefully that oversight... at least to her... would not be a deciding factor on their success or failure.

"Good luck, partner."

Jeremy did quite obviously admire her body when she displayed it so, and at the suggestion to get laid, he was tempted to try and drag 'Buffy' off for that. "What? You think I'm worried, babe?" 'Damien' asked, turning and placing his back to a section of railing. "Nah, I thought with what you do, we'd have an update already. Vivi's feeling more up to the party, so I already intended to do exactly what you said, girl."

"Right now actually," he added, giving Lamia and Jaunt a brief wave. "So enjoy the view." A thought suddenly occurred to him. "Actually, what's the address? If I go pick up a couple of chicks from the party, why not take them sight-seeing for a bit before I come back."

Mary headed back downstairs, and went back to the refreshment table. Social awkwardness aside, she really was kind of hungry and thirsty. Now that she knew what to look for, the alcohol in the punch was easily disposed of before she drank it. It was good; sweet and tart and just a little syrupy. The little sandwiches were decimated, and there wasn't much left of a big bowl of some kind of party mix either, but she only needed a little to take the edge off. While she refreshed, she watched people dance.

Now that she could really pay attention, it was really interesting to see how there was really not much pattern to it all. People in pairs moved together, but each couple was separate from the others. Occasionally someone would do a move that would 'spread' through the people around him or her, but only briefly.

No one came up to her to ask her to dance again though. Maybe they remembered Jaunt's little scene. Or maybe she just put out a bit too much 'I'm a wallflower' vibe. So after a few minutes she decided to move on.

There was music coming faintly through a door near the kitchen...different music, and raucous laughter. Curious, Mary peeked inside to see a stairway leading down, with light at the bottom. She made her way carefully downstairs to find a basement with a little bar of its own, and a big couch with a large television screen suspended in front of it from the ceiling. She didn't know the word 'mancave,' but anyone else would have recognized this room as being one. A group of partygoers had found the room and its various entertainment and gaming systems, and were now engaged in a rousing session of super-super-drunk karoke.

No sooner had someone noticed Mary standing at the bottom of the stairs, staring in with her wide, dark eyes, than two of them rushed over to usher her in. They were all very friendly...three men and four women, of varying complexions and hair colors, all of them at least very buzzed and several of them pretty hammered. Words flashed up on the screen as hypnotic patterns of light played behind them, and one by one they'd take turns with the microphone, bellowing those lyrics to the laughter of the others.

Mary found a drink pushed into her hand, and obediently drank it after disposing of the intoxicant. They asked her name, and she remembered to say Vivianne. Was she from the United States? Yes...she figured it was pointless to deny it, since everyone but her had pretty noticible accents, which implied that to them SHE did. How long was she in Rio for? Was she here with friends? Lots of questions, but Mary realized that they weren't really paying attention to the answers...they were being friendly, but didn't really -care-. So she gave safe, noncommittal answers, and that seemed to be just fine.

But then it was her turn to sing...

She tried turning it down, but they weren't to be dissuaded. Calling encouragement, and pointing out how bad some of the others were...and giving her another drink...they kept pressure on until Mary finally capitulated. Of course, she didn't know a single song on the list. Finally she chose basically at random, and was so shy when the music started that even the microphone had trouble picking up her voice. But just when she was feeling like she should just run out of there, one of the guys; a shorter, stockier man with really short hair and a nice silk shirt that was purple and had a little stain on it, came up and stood behind her, and started to sing the song...urging her to just follow along.

She could have died of gratitude at that moment, and everyone applauded them at the end. More drinks were passed around, and the taller, blonder guy suddenly asked how many drinks had Mary HAD so far, because she was still steady as a rock.

On the spot again, Mary tried to remember her brief encounter with alcohol to sort of act it out a little, and then lowballed her estimate of her drinks. Still impressed, the blonde guy said they should have a shots contest. Vivianne was smaller, he agreed, but she also had a head start on him, since he'd already had more than her.

Realizing this was a contest she quite literally couldn't lose, Mary agreed.

The trick was, she decided, not giving away that it wasn't working on her. If she just casually drank and drank, it'd be obvious. So she watched him, and tried to take on some of what she saw him doing, only less. A little wobble in the hands. Swaying a little in her seat. Not talking quite right.

One of the other guys and two of the girls stays at the TV, doing more songs. The rest gathered to watch.

The contest ended predictably, considering that only one of them was actually drinking. The blonde guy, who's name was Gustav, and was apparently also a visitor to the country, slammed his shot glass down, then slid off onto his ass onto the floor. Not quite unconscious, but clearly not able to go on. Mary felt a little bad for him, so she stealthily wiped out the alcohol in him as well so he wouldn't feel too bad.

But then the others were crowding around her and cheering, and complimenting her...and they didn't even know what she could do. They didn't want anything from her. They just liked her and thought she was fun, and it was best feeling she'd ever had. For a second she forgot all about the dirt and spit and things crusting them, and she just hugged them and laughed along with them.

All too soon, they started breaking into pairs and talking, or watching TV or sneaking off to do who-knew-what, but Mary stayed on the couch and watched the TV and just glowed as she played back the memory over and over.

Rebekka regarded Jeremy with silent amusement for a moment, then nodded. "Sure, why not." She turned to give Jaunt an apologetic shrug and grin as she straightened from the railing. "Sorry, Marques, but you know how it is. Things ain't tight enough between us yet."

"No sweat, Busty," Jaunt countered with purposeful slip of the tongue. Jaunt wasn't so sure if he wanted anything to be tight between these crazy women and him, unless it was a roll in the sack.

Rebekka gave her 'girls' a jiggle just for Jaunt, then leaned around him to arch a brow at Lamia. "Lexi, you want in too?"

"I shall keep Marques company," Lamia drawled, but there was something in her stance suggesting to wanted to see the place soon, to size it up for defense and suitability. "Later shall suffice."

"Gotcha!" Rebekka chirped, leading Jeremy a bit a ways around the balcony, pressing close and keeping her voice low as if they were flirting, so they wouldn't be overheard. "It's actually not that far from here, but still a hike partway up the mountain, on a private road," she explained, giving him the address and directions on how to get there. "It's gated too and locked, but probably empty. It goes up at on police auction in three days." She waggled her fair brows at him. "It was a drug lord's mansion, y'know."

Rebekka pursed her lips, reconsidering. She knew the details about the place, but not what it actually looked like, and after all she was the one who found it. "Actually, if you do decide to go there, tell me and mama Lexi before you go. I want to see it and I know she'll want to too."

"That was the idea," Jeremy teased, "so should I pick up more girls from the party or just you two... or three, if Vivi wants to tag along?" A drug lord's mansion, huh? Well, he considered, that might draw attention, but perhaps if Rebekka could take care of the monetary matters... enough cash could easily pay for on the quiet dealings.

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn’t long before the four of them had found one another and extracted themselves from the party. Outside, it was strangely open and freeing after the mass of the gathering. Lamia and Mary in particular breathed deeply of the comparatively fresh air. After the noise of the party, their ears rang in the quieter night air.

“It’s this way,” Rebekka directed, leading them down the driveway. Fifteen minutes later, she’d talked a man into ‘loaning’ her his car, a comfortable SUV.

“Are you really going to return this?” Lamia asked as she leaned back into the leather seats. After a moment, she cracked the window.

“Sure. No reason to take it.” Rebekka all-but purred as she rubbed the leather under her thighs.

Lamia didn’t look convinced but fell silent as Jer put the car into motion. Given that they were already on the right side of town, it would only take a few minutes to get there.

“We don’t want any trouble.” Isaac didn’t dare use his powers, though he was almost aching with the desire to protect himself and Julija.

“Good, then give me the money and get out of the cab.” The cabbie’s eyes were remarkably calm and his gun was steady. If he was nervous about what he was doing, then it didn’t show.

“Just do it,” Julija whispered, even as she dumped her billfold in the front seat. “Isaac, please.” Her wide gray eyes pleaded with him too, as she laid her hand on his arm.

“Fine.” Isaac threw his cash into the front seat.

The thief gestured with his gun. “Phones and jewelry too.”

Isaac complied and motioned for his companion to slide out of the car. After she’d put her phone and the ring she’d been wearing in the seat, Julija exited the car. Isaac took a look at the cabbie’s license, noting the name and number. Was he really that dumb? Would he openly display his real name if he was robbing them?

They stepped out onto the street and the cabbie left them in the dark. Isaac looked around. It didn’t look like a bad neighborhood, but it was hard to tell. They were in between two tall walls, with the road winding further up the hill behind them. Isaac sighed. “Damn, I think we’re up in the hills.” At least that was a wealthy area and wouldn’t have someone trying to mug them again. “We have a long walk.”

Julija smiled wanly. “Agreed.”

Jaunt had a sixth sense for spotting DEHA plants. It was a bizarre ability to smell traitors and scum, cultivated from a lifetime of running from them. He caught sight of the first one as the man was coming up the driveway; Jaunt slipped deeper into the house, finding one of the bathrooms. This one was occupied by two girls in the hot tub; Jaunt paused to stare as they dove for towels. “Sorry, ladies,” he said with a grin, “but I have to use the facilities.” Still smiling, he ducked into the shower, shutting the door. Once out of sight, he jaunted away.

He reappeared on top of a retaining wall. Behind him was another vacant house on a generous piece of land that he’d scoped out earlier; in front of him, a taxi was dropping two people off in the middle of the street. Neither of them looked particularly happy, not that he could hear what they were saying.

“We’re here.” The radio crackled with sudden noise, jarring Slugger and Rip awake. Hendricks informed them, “Your target is just ahead, in the street. He’s something to do with the elements, all of him, so take him out fast.” The two mutants looked out the back of the van they were in, just in time to see a couple exit a taxi and stare at it as it drove away. “The Rapid Responders are in the delivery van up the street, and another group of soldier can be there in under a minute.”

Slugger smiled wryly. “Must be a dangerous guy.”

“We don’t take chances with free range mutants. You two are just the first wave.”

“What about the woman?” Slugger asked.

“She’s ours. She’s going to assist in the capture. Make the initial approach and the Rapid Responders will assist as needed. Now go get him.”

Idris adjusted her helmet before heading out of the vehicle. It never sat well on her ears... designed more for a Human head. She knew her orders. No lethal force unless necessary, so she was going to use her favorite stand-by. Dynamic Entry. Run up and before (hopefully) he has a chance to respond, cold-cock him on the sweet spot.

"Target in sight, commencing operation."

She runs up, and decides to go all-in on a punch.

She didn't question her orders. That could cost her. She said nothing, seeing that her partner was staying a few steps behind. Perhaps if that knocks this guy out... it would be a simple bag-and-tag.

Roll
Fighting 10, Roll of 10, Total Roll: 20.

Witnessed by Carver

Can't C&P when on Netbook.

Isaac barely had time to react when the furred woman threw herself at him. His brain had a moment to register, What the fuck! before her fist hit his jaw. Isaac stumbled sideways, his first thought for Julija. Had he been alone, he might have tried to go it without powers. But he had someone to protect.

Isaac’s Toughness save: 6 total, Staggered.

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 4+2: 6

His head was spinning from the blow but as he put himself between the cat-thing and Julija, the night came to life with four man-sized creatures of flame. Isaac faced the woman, only to feel his heart sink as he saw the man exiting the van she’d emerged from; he didn’t want to fight one person, much less two. At least it’s still two on four.

Everyone, give me initiatives.

At first glance, someone might have thought Mary was asleep in the backseat, with her mouth in a dreamy little smile, and her eyes peacefully closed. She wasn't though. She was doing the equivalent of sticking her arm out the window and daydreaming...tasting the world as it scrolled past her, and thinking idly of the fun moments of the party. People weren't so bad, maybe. Not all of them. Some of them were friendly and just wanted to have a good time. Maybe even a lot of them.

Singing lessons might be nice, Mary thought. Singing was interesting. Music couldn't just be created like a block of wood or rock. It came from the things in the world, but seemed like it was itself beyond the things of the world. Feeling and meaning expressed in patterns of movement. In the body, in the air...it expressed a kind of unity between person and universe. It...

She opened her eyes as she caught a whiff of something. Steel and the explosives used in guns. Armed people were nearby.

"Guns," Mary said, leaning forward. "There's guns..."

She trailed off. At the speed cars went, her senses didn't extend out far enough to give her much warning.

Outside the stolen...'donated'...vehicle were soldiers in body armor coming towards them. Beyond them, farther ahead, was another car with fires burning around it, and someone in a strange suit fighting someone else.

The fires, Mary realized, looked like people. They weren't. She could sense quite clearly there was nothing there but air and the byproducts of heat in air...but then what was burning?

"Uh oh," she whispered. "What do we do?"

(I kind of need to see what the faster people are doing before I know what Mary will do. I will edit in my action as soon as I see what the plan is.)

[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Oh, but first

[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Mary's Init...
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 19: 19
[salmonMax] 9:30 pm: Bwahaha

Rebekka luxuriated in the supple leather seat, inhaling the fragrant night air of the Barra, as she languidly altered her appearance slightly. Reduced her breasts somewhat, high and taut, still curvaceous but not exaggerated; shortened her hair and darkened it to a deep honey hue, her turquoise eyes shifting to a rich emerald. The leopard-print of her dress melted away, leaving it a shimmering, pale gold, as her suntanned skin lightened into a flawless aged-ivory complexion

She was still recognizably the same woman, but the vapid beach bunny was gone, leaving an elegant socialite. She flashed Lamia a small smile as she leaned forward and turned on the radio, rocking in the seat to the sultry Latin beats.

It was an excellent night...

... Until it wasn't.

Rebekka took the SUV around a corner to find several man-shaped forms made of living flame, a felinoid-woman figure launching a flying sidekick into what appeared to a tourist (though one with better taste than most), his apparent date a step behind, and there was another man emerging from the back of a van, his bearing indicating he was with the cat-thing, and a group of soldiers, either DEHA or the local agency between them and the rest of the others.

All-in-all, one of the most incongruous sites in her own near ninety years of life, along with hundreds and more lives she had acquired. And not at all what Rebekka was wanting to deal with when out on the night to take a look at the nice estate she planned to acquire...

That very estate being right next to an imminent mutant brawl.

"Fok shit, dit is nie wat ons nodig het,*" Rebekka muttered crossly in her native Afrikaans as she sped on the gas, then pumped the breaks, spinning the car in a one-eighty, as she furiously focused on her memories for one with better driving skills. The SUV jerked as the rear wheels popped over the curb to the sidewalk. "Make the calls guys. Grab and run, ditching 'em all, or... sigh, taking the fight elsewhere."

Fighting was obviously something Rebekka didn't relish. Not the least because there were probably more combatants who weren't in play yet and it would draw attention they didn't need. Also....

"We can't let things get out of control here." Rebekka jerked her chin at a wall along the wall. "That's the place I had in mind for... y'know."

*Translation
From the Afrikaans: Fucking shit, this is not what we need.

Initative
Intiative: 1d20+4 = 24 ,,

Rebekka is driving, trying to spin the car around to get ready for a quick get away, while also focusing on The Lives Within, to get better skills for the situation.

Vehicle Roll: 1d20+5 = 13

Rip trusted that Slugger had her back... these extra little flame elementals... they'll probably get extinguished once she knocked this guy out. Her fight training is coming in handy. She was just pure, unadulterated melee instinct. And this mutant relied on his elemental control to pull his fat out of the frier. Sucks what's gonna happen to him, but that wasn't her concern, unfortunately.

She really wasn't angry at the guy... he was defending himself, and she was just keeping to her job. If she didn't... that collar around her neck would fricasee her, and burned cat... doesn't smell good.

Something inside her though... hoped he'd win... hoped he'd end her suffering. She didn't ask for this.

INITIATIVE! ROWR!
[Kamiko] 6:46 pm: Initiative roll

Kamiko *rolls* 1d20: 15+10: 25

[Moira Morley] 6:46 pm: le gasp!

[Kamiko] 6:46 pm: we cats are fierce!

She leaps up, her intent, to double-kick him in the face What else? Nothing like tactical boot soles to deliver a message. "Sorry... better you than ME!"

Attack Roll - Two feet to da face, Jackass Style!
[Kamiko] 6:57 pm: Darnit, I should make an attack roll while I'm at it.

Kamiko *rolls* 1d20: 6+10: 16

[Kamiko] 6:58 pm: well, not my best... but I try.

Note on rolls
Rolls witnessed and C&P'd by Asa

Lamia was buffeted around the car, a less-than-calming experience, and so had not gotten a good look at what was going on yet. She knew there was a fight going on and that at least two of her children were involved. She pursed her lips. "We do not know enough now, except that at least one of them is being foolish to display themselves this way. Did anyone see who was the aggressor?"

Initiative
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 19+5: 24

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremy grabbed onto a side handle as the car swerved under Rebekka's control. He didn't like what he was seeing, but he caught sight of the soldiers, and an unpalatable, but necessary course of action seemed clear. "Doesn't matter, I don't like it, but I spy the DEHA and we have to go. At this point our mission will be pointless if we get caught or chased here on out."

The cat-looking mutant leapt at Isaac, her boots set to double-kick him in the face "Sorry... better you than ME!" By the time the kick connected with Isaac, the damage from the fire elementals was starting to set in…
In the van, Lamia pursed her lips. "We do not know enough now, except that at least one of them is being foolish to display themselves this way. Did anyone see who was the aggressor?"
The SUV jerked as the rear wheels popped over the curb to the sidewalk. Rebekka sighed, "Make the calls guys. Grab and run, ditching 'em all, or... sigh, taking the fight elsewhere. We can't let things get out of control here." Rebekka jerked her chin at a wall along the wall. "That's the place I had in mind for... y'know."
As Jeremy and Mary waited, the soldiers down the street rolled forward, ready to assist with the civilians before the civilians could snap pictures of the scene.
Jaunt watched on top of the wall, having a front seat viewing to the fight…
One of the Rapid Responders—familiar to the freed mutants in the van—approached the van. “Senhora, nós estamos apreendendo um criminoso perigoso. Por favor, vire e deixe imediatamente.”
The other one turned and casually dropped an Electrical Bomb in the middle of the huddle of fighting mutants. It didn’t matter to the Rapid Responder if the mutant was a friendly, like Rip, or a hostile. Muties were muties, and they’d pick up whatever mutants were left after the fight. Lightning played over the group; Julija barely managed to avoid the worst of it, while Isaac took it head-on. The flame elementals disappeared as he hit the pavement.
Julija moved to Isaac’s side, feeling for a pulse. In the other van, Slugger stepped out and headed for the downed mutant, ready to secure them.
Translation
Ma'am, we are apprehending a dangerous criminal. Please turn around and leave immediately.
[End of Round ONE]
Initiatives
Fire Elementals – 30
Rip – 25
Lamia – 24
Rebekka – 24
Jeremy – 22
Mary – 19
Soldiers – 19
Jaunt – 18
RR – 18
Issac – 13
Medusa – 12
Slugger – 10
NPC Saves
Issac [attacked by Rip] Toughness Save vs. DC 17 – 5+1 = 6, Stunned

Medusa [attacked by RR #2] Dodge save vs. DC 18, 16+8 = 24, save
Medusa [attached by RR #2] Toughness save vs DC 19, 12+5 = 17, failure, -1 Toughness

Isaac [attacked by RR #2] Dodge save vs. DC 18, 5+5 = 10, failure
Isaac [attached by RR #2] Toughness save vs DC 23, 9+0 = 9, Incap
Combat Rolls
Rip [attacking Issac] Attack vs. DC 15 – 6+10 = 16, Pass

Rip [attacked by Fire Elemental #1] Attack vs DC 16, 11+10 = 21
Rip [attacked by Fire Elemental #2] Attack vs DC 16, 13+10 = 23
Rip [attacked by Fire Elemental #3] Attack vs DC 16, 20+10 = 30, Critical, +5 to Damage DC
Rip [attacked by Fire Elemental #4] Attack vs DC 16, 17+10 = 27

Other PCs show up

Lamia speaks

Rebekka drives

Jeremy speaks

Mary worries

Soldiers approaching

Jaunt watches… Edward Cullen style mqdefault.jpg

Rapid Responder #1 [intimidating Rebekka] Attack roll, 15+5 = 20
Rapid Responder #2 [Attacking Fire Elementals] Electrical Bomb (Elementals disappear)
Rapid Responder #3 and #4 holding

Isaac is KOed

Medusa will check him to be sure he’s alive

Slugger is holding
NPC Damage Tracking
Issac is KOed
Medusa is -1 Toughness
PC Required Rolls
Rip needs to make a Toughness save vs. DC 25
Rip needs to make a Toughness save vs DC 30

Rebecca needs to make an Insight or Will roll vs DC 17

Rip needs to make a Dodge save vs DC18; if she succeeds, she has to make a Toughness check vs DC 19 and if she fails she has to make a check vs DC 23

Rebekka shared a look with the others in the vehicle and nodded before turning to the Rapid Responder, giving him a tentative smile and not entirely feigning the uneasy expression. "Imediatamente, oficial. Nós não queremos ficar no caminho de seu dever," she responded glibly in a worried tone of voice. "Obrigado pelo aviso*."

Insight vs. Intimidation Roll

The Rapid Responder was trying to play the authority card with a heavy hand, but Rebekka could see through him. On the other hand, she wasn't a warrior. And while she wasn't all that keen on leaving two other mutants in the hands of the DEHA, they didn't know which or if either them were with the DEHA, nor was Rebekka willing to risk her freedom for complete strangers. They didn't know enough of the unexpected situation to jeopardize the mission they had been charged with. More's the pity...

Still, with a keen mind for faces, Rebekka memorized those of the cat-woman's and her apparent victim, to possibly check on them at a later date, as she shifted the SUV in gear. The SUV rocked slightly as she eased it off the curb, then sped up as she drove back the way they had come, privately hoping their would be no issue with acquiring the real estate at the police auction.

As Rebekka took a curve in the road and looked back the way they had come, she arched a perfect a brow, seeing a figure standing on top of a way that looked suspiciously like Jaunt. As she took the SUV out of the of the conflict, she slowed slightly, coasting down the street. "Hmm, I think I just saw our new friend Jaunt back there."

*Translation
Right away, officer. We do not wish to get in the way of your duty. Thank you for the warning.

It all took a few moments. First the heat... god the heat. Then the feeling of pain as multiple volts screamed through her. The world seemed to go from a struggle to do her job to simply excepting the fact that she was finally... mercifully done on this goddamn mudball.

The only thing that left her lips before the lights go out was a simple phrase. "Shit... you got me and they got you... shoulda... ran."

KO!
And the lights go out on Idris!

Rolls in the OOC

Mary was paralyzed with indecision as Rebekka started to leave, then she said, "We shouldn't just...leave them...should we? Isn't helping other mutants what we're supposed to to? Look!" She turned around to keep watching the action out the window. "They knocked them out...they're hurt!"

"Rebekka...if David did what we're doing now, we'd all still be in our little rooms, and we'd never get out. Ever."

"Oh, sweetie," Rebekka murmured, sympathy and pity in her eyes, though she kept them on the road. "It's not the same, Mary. There's still far more of us in captivity than not, right? David, he didn't choose us at random, he chose us specifically and waited for the ideal opportunity."

She took her eyes off the road for a moment to give Mary a sad, empathetic smile and ran a hand through her hair. "This is not an ideal opportunity. We aren't even sure who is standing for which side and if they would take freedom if it was given to them. I'm sorry, it's a risk we can't take at the moment. But I saw their faces, and we'll see what we can do later."

"That," Jeremy added, even with that reluctant tone in his voice expressing his feelings on the subject, "and there's a need to be honest about that situation. An entire DEHA team, with several Rapid Responders and other soldiers. Even if we could take them, which I doubt... we'd basically expose our presence in Rio and then they'd be chasing us. No chance of getting the estate, or completing our mission. The road ahead, is going to be a difficult one, and I don't see us liking all the turns we make. But we have to think before we act, otherwise we hand them the advantage."

"So, we abandon our own? That hardly seems...." Lamia frowned. "What if David had chosen such a cowardly course and looked only to his own freedom and comfort?"

She turned to Rebekka, already unbuckling her seat belt. "Please stop the vehicle. I am going back. I will likely fail on my own so I would appreciate help, but I am going back either way. Is there a way to contact Matt or David, so they know what is going on?"

Rebekka brought the SUV to a stop with a sigh, out of sight of the street brawl. As Lamia opened the door, Rebekka reached out and grasped her wrist. Lamia glanced back at the glamorous shapeshifter with narrowed eyes glinting with impatient warning. Rebekka could feel the vast disparity in their respective strengths in the tenseness of Lamia's wrist.

"This is a mistake," Rebekka reiterated, releasing her grip on Lamia before it was broken with an unknown degree of violence, though her green eyes remained cool. "David and company, they have not remained free by rushing in to rescue every mutant they see in trouble. Harsh and unfair, but true. They choose their battles and battlefields with care."

Rebekka waved a hand back towards the way they came, growing exasperated. "We don't even know what's going on. The DeDe's were indiscriminate with their electro-bombs, hitting both mutants, presumably including one on their side, though we don't which is which. I'm hoping Jaunt will reevaluate the situation, if that was him I saw, and that you'll reconsider as well."

Eying Lamia with persuasive consideration, Rebekka reached into her purse, feeling for the sat-phone. It was only for emergencies, but the possibility of one or more of their number risking capture and the success of their mission in Rio counted as one in Rebekka's book. Coward... Rebekka wouldn't deny being self-involved, but her strengths lay in other areas than direct confrontation.

But just in case, she before searching through her panoply of purloined lives for a different skill set as well as shifting her face into yet another, though with the time it would take, it would likely already be too late.

Jaunt had no clue what was going on. He wasn't sure who were the good guys or the bad guys in this scenario, all he saw was a cat person randomly matrix kick a random passerby on the street. He'd watched the whole thing go down and frankly at this point he knew someone needed to be rescued. He had to decide and did the only sensible thing he could to determine who he could save.

The coin spun in the air, end over end and landed in his hand. He slapped it over onto the back of his palm and took a gander.

"This is balls." He mumbled to himself. "All I wanted was to come to Rio, have a little fun, get a little laid, have a little hang over, get a little more laid..." He watched a white SUV pull up to the scene, then back away at the orders of the men and continue on its way, avoiding the conflict entirely. Perfect, he thought. This had better work, if not, cat man's going to wake up completely shit out of luck...

He sprang forward from his perch as if to leap out into the night and was simply gone in a wavering shimmer that warped the air like a stone disrupting the surface of a still pond and reappeared several yards away kneeling at Idris's side. "Stand back! I'm a vet and this man is need of... uh..." The men glared at him, still temporarily shocked at his sudden appearance, until the withdrew their weapons from their jackets and proceeded with procedure. "Okay, fine, I'm not a vet. But I'll tell you what I really am though..."

One agent trained his gun on Jaunt and the laser dot hovered around his chest and shoulder.

"Gone." And that he was. With a thumping sound the rift he called pulled him and Idris through it.

The back of the SUV rocked violently as Jaunt and Idris both appeared in the very cramped space in the back. The thumping of his appearance was mixed with the loud thumping of him and Idris landing. He had no idea it was Rebekka's SUV, it was just the closest vehicle in motion that he could remember to safely teleport into and at the moment it was stopped. "Oh, god... no, please don't be stopped, please don't be stopped..." He whined to himself aloud.

He managed to crawl out from under Idris and press his face to the back glass. They were already looking. "Okay, umm..." He never looked to see who was in the vehicle, he nervously kept watching the back. Sure, he could have been miles away by now on his own, but that defeated the purpose of a rescue. "Greetings random people whose car I've just magically appeared in... I need you to get this thing moving please..." It's occupants were still trying to collect their thoughts as a lot was happening all at once. "El foot-o on-o the-o gas-o... PLEASE-O"

"Fancy meeting you here, Marques," Rebekka commented with an arched brow and remarkable, glancing at Jaunt over a shoulder as she put the SUV back in gear, accelerating to a fast, but not unusual speed, which would just draw more attention. "Decided pop out for a night-car right, hmm?" Rebekka gave a rich, smokey chuckle. If she was worried, Rebekka was remarkably adept at concealing it. "And found yet another piece of tail, too, it seems."

Jaunt managed to pry his eyes off the back window just long enough to realize he was sharing the car with the mutants he had met from the party. Though the blonde driving looked like Rebekka's more svelte, more elegantly sophisticated twin sister. Jaunt blinked, glanced down at the feline figure, noting the feminine, furry curves, and without missing a beat, smirked. "Seemed like a waste, leaving her for the DeDes. Which are right behind us, so... Andelé!"

"We are going fast enough for the moment," Rebekka replied in calm, cool tones, taking the first turn to break line of sight from any possible pursuit, then another to run parallel to their previous route. "However, we're going to have to do something about that AMP collar on the girl. I don't suppose you're capable of just jaunting the device off by its lonesome, are you? That would be terribly convenient."

Though she affected an undisturbed demeanor, Rebekka was relentlessly wrenching open the doors in her mind, looking for the right skills to deal with the collar, if Jaunt wasn't able fulfill her suggestion. There were many doors and she cursed the time it took her to search them for the right one. Another was playing back what she had seen of Matt removing them. There would be imbedded tracking chips most likely too.

"If not, I may be able to do something." Rebekka reached into her purse and tossed Lamia the sat-phone. "Dial 0-9-7 and inform them we have a rescue that needs her fleas removed. Does anyone else know how to drive? Vivianne dear, if you would be so kind, can you make me some tools? Just like the ones Matt used before, you remember. Unless you think you can dispose of it now, without... the explosive consequences?"

A furrow appeared between Rebekka's fair brows, finely sculpted jaw growing tight the only signs of her worry as she forced her memories to give her what she needed.

Question
Instead of using Extra Effort to increase the level of a Power by 1, can I use it to overcome her Slow flaw on her Skill Array instead?

Vivianne, for her part, was goggling wide-eyed at the sudden arrivals. Rebekka had to prompt her again before she looked over at her.

"I...uh...yeah. I don't know. It goes off so fast, and I don't really know how they work, so it's hard to tell... If she has chips in her though, I can get those."

She managed a shy smile for Jaunt. "Sorry...it's good to see you again. I just didn't expect...that."

Then she noticed. One person had come with him. Just one.

"But...there's another mutant back there. The one who was making the fire-people."

"That's okay, Vi, just care of the chips, and I'll deal with the Collar," Rebekka affirmed, lips quirking up at the corner. "If you'd be so kind as to provide me with some tools..."

As Rebekka described what she needed to Mary, referencing items she knew Mary had seen and commenting on needed changes on what Mary provided, she sprinted through the doors in her mind. There was a flash of pearly teeth as the grimaced - the forcing the memories like this was unnatural and unpleasant. She gave a full body flinch as the framework of a lifetime of technical competence and driving experience suddenly settled over her mind. It was there, in place, but it felt ephemeral, and she devote extra effort to maintaining it. Her breathing deepened.

"Damien, take the wheel, if you would," Rebekka said in a tone that was more than a suggestion, a hint of a Japanese accent tinting her voice. It took some fancy maneuvering for Noctis to take her place behind the wheel, but despite Rebekka's sweet body sliding across his, there was nothing suggestive in her - her demeanor was more reserved and introverted than normal.

Rebekka clambered into the back of the SUV, unconcerned about the way her dress was riding up, and managed to wedge herself in beside the felinoid woman. Perfect lips curved down in a considering frown at the sight of the woman's singed flesh fur ; her nose wrinkled at the smell - the environment wasn't as sanitized as she would have preferred. But the woman being unconscious would make her job easier.

"You, move back into the rear seats," Rebekka commanded imperiously, pointing at Jaunt without looking at him. "Ms. Vivianne, if you would be so kind as to hand me the items you... procured for me, I would be grateful, as I'm sure would be this young woman. Damien, this woman in question may need your gifts as well, to remove the risk of infection. Burns are quite messy and when she awakens, the pain would be great."

Rebekka bent over the woman, brushing her hair back to completely reveal the AMP collar around her neck. With the knowledge of a Japanese engineering wunderkind lodged in her mind, she focused on the tasked ahead of her, not even considering the possibility of failure. To Mr. Tanaka, the shame of failure was worse than the explosive consequences.

Extra Effort
Using Extra Effort to Power Stunt off her The Lives Within Variable Array power, for the same power, but switching the Slow Flaw for the Distracting Flaw (She is Vulnerable - halving her Dodge and Parry) ,,

Spending the 10pp in her Array on 13 (+17 total bonus) ranks of Technology and 7 ranks of Vehicles (+8 total bonus)

Ever-obedient, Mary saw to it that the things Rebekka asked for appeared, though she needed some guidence in getting them right. When Rebekka was satisified, she leaned over the unconscious woman and closed her eyes. It was easier to process the information when her vision wasn't competing for her attention.

A human body was a dizzyingly complex blob of complex compounds, constantly shifting and changing. Fortunately, the chips stood out because they weren't like that. Each was a fleck of plastic and metal and silicates, stable and serene in the organic chaos that surrounded them. Searching was not instant, but it was methodical, and each time she discovered one it simply ceased to be a moment later.

When the process was complete, Mary worked her shoulders around and let a deep breath out as she opened her eyes. "Done. I think I got them all."

(OOC - Will give perception check asap!)

I'm excising my power as GM to roll for Max.

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 12+10: 22 - good enough, Donkey. ;)

Archived