Deadlands OOC

The Story Guide

I am going to be running a Savage Worlds Deadlands game, specifically The Flood PPC. I am looking for no more than five players and already have two (Jeremy and Dawn). This will be a faster paced game, with posting expected roughly once a day. RL issues that crop up are fine, but this is intended as a crash-course for Dawn on the Savage Worlds system, so it can't stall out for a week or longer waiting on someone to post.

That said, is anyone else interested? I'll leave this open until Tuesday, August 22nd, and then move on to character creation. The game will start either Sunday the 26th, or Monday the 27th.

Standard rules for character creation, anything not in the core book or the main Deadlands book must be approved by me (and I'll need the full text from whatever Savage World book its coming out of, no fan-created/homebrew allowed).

For those that don't know Deadlands, it's horror/post-apocalyptic post-civil war US, with zombies, magic, and some steampunk elements. Quite fun setting, beautifully put together and with great writing to support it. A PPC is a plot point campaign, pretty much exactly the same thing as a D&D pre-written campaign. If you've played through or read The Flood, that's fine, but please don't metagame or tell others about plot points ahead of time.

I should note, I don't know the rule set for Savage Worlds, hopefully you'll be willing to help me out. I -do- know much of the setting, though it comes more from the Doomtown CCG than the RPG itself (but Doomtown was also cannon for the original RPG so I doubt I will have issues). I'm thinking I would like to play either a Huckster or a Mad Scientist, but I don't mind playing a gunslinger type either.

Jim - Savage Worlds is pretty simple, so I don't think I'll have a problem walking you through stuff. You'll know more of the setting that I do (which is why I'm just running a PPC instead of coming up with my campaign). I think Dawn's gonna do a gunslinger, and Jer said he had four different builds for Sam, so you've got your pick of Huckster or Mad Scientist.

With only three players, I'll be making a PC-NPC to round out the part once I know what you all are definitely making. :)

Ideas for my gun totin' preacher-man are coming together.

I also wanted to extend an offer. I still have all of my old Doomtown CCG cards (based on Deadlands) which is actually where a lot of the artwork in the Deadlands Reloaded book comes from from what I have seen. If anybody wants me to try and find a picture from there for them to use for their avatar just let me know and give me a good description (with plenty of leeway) and I will see what i can do for you!

Sorry I've been AWOL for the past couple of days. Just got back from a week out of town and needed to get some things in order. So....it'll be the three of you guys and a PC-NPC to round us out to four.

Jim - You're looking at a preacher.

Dawn - You're looking at a gunsliger.

Jer - You said you had four builds for Sam. Please let me know which one you're interested in given the other two characters.

I'll make my character once I've got Jer's concept so I can round out the party. I'd like roughs of the characters (short background that includes where the character comes from and why they're on the West Coast now, mostly) ASAP. I'd like the first draft of mechanics by Friday at the latest. Savage Worlds is pretty simple, so I'm hoping we won't need to go back and forth much, but I want a little time to do so if its needed.

Jim, thanks for the offer on the artwork, that's really cool! ;)

This is sort of one-shot. I'll be running a full campaign, called a Plot Point Campaign, which has 8 adventure points in it and the book includes 34 "Savage Tales" to tuck in between them and allow you guys to explore the setting (and get advancements so you actually have a chance of completing later Plot Points ;). After the campaign is over, I'll check my time and people's interest to see if they want to continue the game. Even if people vote down on Deadlands, I'll likely run another Savage Worlds game after this game. Hopefully the game my company is putting out will be available then! :D

Starting characters are made per the starting characters rules. No extra experience points.

Sorry we're going to have a slightly late start. RL reared its ugly head again. Dawn and I still need to sit down and get stats on her character, and then we'll be set to go. We have obligations tonight, but I'm hoping to have it done tomorrow night, since it's Dawn's early night at work, and have the intro post up tomorrow as well. Sorry for the delay! :(

Extra rules:

Here's a card roller: http://www.random.org/playing-cards/ I'm running this on the honor system. Just paste the picture of the card (or write it out in text, but the picture is cooler!) like this, in a spoiler, for combat: 11.png

For Fate Chips, give me three (or whatever number is appropriate for your character) d35 rolls from chat. Just for simplicity, 1-20 is a White chip, 21-30 is a Red chip, and 31-35 is a Blue chip. Post the rolls in OOC (we'll make rolls every Wednesday), and if you rolled the same number that another person has already posted, reroll until you get an unused number. On Tuesdays, we'll pull cards to see who pulls in which order, since it does effect the odds.

This time, I'll be nice and go first as the Marshall. Everyone else just roll before you put up your first post. Put the rolls in the spoiler at the end of the post you rolled it with. Please keep track of Fate Chips in a spoiler at the bottom of each post. Thanks!

I'll set up a combat thread for each Plot Point or Savage Tale that we do, to keep the scroll during combat down.

We are using the Way of the Brave (Reloaded, pg 58), so brush up on those rules as they're different from the main Savage Worlds combat rules (mostly about melee combat, and the rules for gunfights are right after).

Any questions? Did I miss something?

I would prefer this set-up for anything that's not IC prose in a post, at the bottom of a post:

Mechanics
Rolls you've made for this post.

Any other OOC stuff that needs to be addressed.

Fate Chips -

White:

Red:

Blue:

I don't care if you want to put a different name than 'Mechanics' in, or if you want to split out the three groups into three separate spoilers, just keep all OOC information in spoilers, please.

Due to a combination of issues last week that lead to a severe nosedive in my depression, I am going to be taking a little bit of time to try and get my head back above...bad places. I will probably not be posting here this week, as there are other areas of my life that need more immediate attention. This is not a closing of the game, just a delay while I try to find my sanity and some point of happiness that can keep me going for a little longer. I'll post here again when I'm back up to ST duties.

And....next round of combat. I'm going to try to keep to a daily posting schedule, but things are still crazy - both in my life and in my brain. So, can't guarantee, but I'll do my best.

Crap, I'll make the rolls for the braves, since they go first, here in a minute and put them in the spoiler for the last round, just so people know what they're dealing with, numbers-wise.

Updated.

I'm adjusting the rules for pulling Fate Chips - we'll do that at the beginning of each thread, and any time within the thread that I deem it time to do so. At the end of the thread, any unspent Fate Chips will be thrown in the hat for xp, with rolls done similar to how the Fate Chip rolls are done to determine if any extra xp is garnered. For The Hellbore, no other Fate Chip pull will be done, as the combat is almost over.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived