BESM - Mugendo, Martial Arts game

Sugarrush

Players are disciples of various martial arts, perfecting their craft while going to school and dealing with everyday problems as well as the hidden world of martial arts along with street gangs and thugs.

Inspiration: Worlds strongest disciple Kenichi, WORST, Holyland and more. This is not a super-martial arts game with fire-balls and such but more down to earth(not even "Kenichi" down-to-earth in terms of power, slightly more than that).

Character creation: BESM 3e 220 points with bonus points for backgrounds, descriptions and art and the like.

House-rules: Energy bonus and Tough cost 1 point per rank and gives +10/rank instead of +5.(BESM only)

Will put up more about Setting ideas soon but this is basically checking who's interested.

So, anyone interested in this?

PCs are around the age between 15-18, being students at one of the High-schools in the fictional suburb to Tokyo, Yokorow.

In Yokorow there is a large hostel called Mugendo, which is a front for martial artists, where travelling masters of the Katsujin-ken, the life-saving fist, those that would not take a life through their craft, gather.

Mugendo is also a gathering spot for students and disciples to train among each-other as well as learn from different masters.

It is one of many hostels like it around the world which serves as meeting hubs for masters as well as a front for the secret world, the one in Yokorow is lead by a small older man called "Susumu" by some of the masters but "Owner" by most of the students

Yokorow features many different kinds of environments such as a harbor, an entertainment-area where the young gather, an industrial area, a deep forest with a temple, plains and hills and more.

There are different different gangs as well which a PC might have connections to or know someone who is in one.

I might be interested in this. I don't know much of anything about History's Strongest Disciple, and only a tiny bit about Holyland, but I'm a huge fan of Worst (and it's predecessor, Crows). The basic setting description sounds interesting, but I'd definitely like to hear more.

That's awesome, what more would you like to hear?

WORST is not the foremost source of inspiration, mostly the street-gangs and politics between different gangs in the other areas that might play a part.

If I had to explain it through WORST, it be like it, with less delinquents, some finer schools, most for both genders, most of the major players know some style or have taken inspiration from them and those that have trained really hard can perform incredible feats (Hanas feats of endurance, climbing and such are kinda baseline for PCs, while masters can do even more super-human things, bar flying and fireballs).

Wouldn't say they are completely gone but not everyone is a delinquent and not everyone goes to a rough school.

If you want to have a PC be a student of a rough school, a delinquent with connections with some gangs, go for it.

There's no real decision about that yet, as it depends on what system some prefer.

But I have more experience with MM, as I've played and GMed the second edition and I can do a bit more with it and characters stay relatively equal.

In case we use BESM, here's a generic character that shows what kind of power-level that is expected.

BODY 6, MIND 4, SOUL 5 (60+40+50=150p)

BCV: 5, ACV: DCV:

HP:75 SV:31 EP:55

Damage: 2x6+8(Unarmed)

Iniative: 5+3

Attributes:

Combat techniques: Brutal 2, Lightning reflexes, Harboiled 2, Critical strike(12p)

Extra action 1 (15p)

Extra defence 1 (5p)

Melee attack 3(Unarmed) (9p)

Melee defence 3 (9p)

Skills: Acrobatics 1(3p), Intimidation 3(6p), Street sense 2(4p) (13p total)

Massive damage 1(Unarmed, Muay Thai-kicks) (4p)

Tough 2 (2p)

Energy bonus 1 (1p)

total:220p

Flavorless as all hell though.

I have a question.

Are we house ruling that you must have Extra attacks or defenses to take them? In the book it states you can take further attacks or defenses beyond the 1 of each you get standard, you just take penalties to them

standard progression, -1, -3, -6, -12

This can be an important thing to many builds, especially at this level

@Envoy: You don't need to take extra defenses in order to defend yourself against additional attacks, but since additional actions are very powerful, and the attribute is expensive to prove that; I'd allow extra attacks without the attribute if the penalty starts at -3 after the first.

Does that sound good?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived