Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Power Profiles #23: Sensory Powers

GRR9323e_200.jpg

Power Profiles #23: Sensory Powers

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6 pages • $0.99 • full color PDF

Descriptors, Countering & Features

The Sensory descriptor gets thorough treatment right out of the gate. It is broken down into sensory powers and sensory effects, which might seem the same thing but the explanation makes clear which covers which. This is followed by a fairly lengthy discussion of the two Sensory Modifiers, Perception Area, and Sense-Dependent. This is fairly useful as well as it help to distinguish the difference between the two when it might appear that they are the same. A comparative example might have been useful, but I don't think it was required. A couple of interesting features are suggested.

There is also a sidebar titled, Senses and the Parrot Effect, which discusses ways for the GM to better engage players who have super senses (especially exotic ones) in ways other than simply telling them what they sense and having the players repeat it back to their comrades. I think that this is probably something that many GMs don't consider and it is a nice reminder that sense powers don't need to be relegated to "what he said".

Offensive Powers

There are only three powers here, but there is also another sidebar (that's two) which helps to give the section some meat. The Dazzle and Sensory Overload powers are built on well known effects, with Dazzle getting a slightly longer write-up as it discusses some options beyond the core effect. The third power is Obscure which is an effect that was suggested in the Hero's Handbook as a Concealment based effect. This effect too is Concealment based, but gets a more thorough write-up. As a player of prior editions, which had a dedicated Obscure effect, I'm not sure I am convinced but the write-up does go a long way to helping make the power understood.

Luckily, however, the Powers That Be apparently expected us stodgy old people, and we have been gifted with the sidebar: Option: Obscure Effect. This sidebar effectively restores the Obscure effect to the game, with a variable per rank cost based on the senses it obscures, and an area that is based on the number of ranks purchased. Overall I think I still prefer the Obscure effect over the Concealment based method, and I am very happy to see it return.

Defensive Powers

Five powers are presented and for I think the first time none of them are Protection effect based. Powers like Invisibility, Danger Sense, and Sensory Shield are given discussion. Invisibility does a nice job of conferring not only the bonuses, but also the limits of the effect and I think players and GMs will find it a nice expansion on the core book's Concealment description.

Movement Powers

With only two powers this is the shortest section in the book, but I suspect that most will be un-surprised by this. Tracking Teleport and Pathfinder are both built off of the Senses effect. Both are given discussion enough to show not only the mechanics but also the utility of these effects.

Utility Powers

Three powers with nine effects and a third sidebar fill out this section. Synesthesia is a remarkably simple effect that creates a power that can radically alter the way a character perceives their senses, altering the normal input vectors and allowing the user to feel colors and taste sounds, and more. The Additional Sense "power" is really just a header that gathers seven different senses beyond the human norm and allows them room for an effect and discussion. The third, and final, sidebar for this profile is: Option: Long-Range Sensing. This sidebar acknowledges that the Remote Sensing effect may not be ideal for extreme long range sensing and provides an option to allow for sensing well beyond the planetary scale.

Complications

Six complications get about half a page to close out the profile. By far the most effort goes into the Weakness complication, detailing how a hero's enhanced and expanded senses can just as often be a handicap. Imagine having super sense of smell in a landfill. Or Super Hearing at a death metal concert.

Closing Thoughts

Sensory powers is yet another in an increasing number of must have profiles. Even the most rule savvy and jaded player or GM will likely appreciate the sidebars. Meanwhile new players will gain a great deal of insight into the various sensory effects and more experienced players may find the expanded discussion of certain effects and powers useful. There's nothing really missing here, and the content is as solid as we have generally come to expect.

Rating: 100% - Truly another home run, with expanded explanations and new optional rules, this profile has a little something for everyone.

Archived