Aberrant: The Infinity Hour - [ItB:The Infinity Hour] - Table Talk OOC

Titan

I guess you have all noticed the lagging pace of my posts this week. Mostly it is because my life is full, but also, with these eruptions (almost done!) I wanted to give everyone their money's worth. This, for me, entails thinking about nothing but your character for the day, composing the transformation in my head. The posts may not be long, but I have really tried to put a lot of thought into how your eruption ties to your powers, your character, the larger story I want to tell, or all three. All of you have been wonderful in helping me to figure those things out, and in a couple of cases, of taking suggestions I've made about your character with enthusiasm, rather than as a criticism.

We are getting down to it. My wife and I, again, are taking the kids to Arkansas this Saturday. By that time, I should have everyone poised to start Chapter One, but will probably hold off on beginning on Chapter One until we are back from vacation. We'll post in the Prelude thread once the group is together, to allow you to interact with each other and the rest of the NPCs. More on this later.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, that's it, I've shot my quantum wad. Everyone is erupted. Whether you have sent me your character sheet or not, please do me a huge solid and PM me your character sheet in a new message titled with your character's name. That way, we can continue our PM conversations, but I will have an easy to find character sheet for you.

In my next round of posts, you will be meeting some Novus. When I started the game, I specified a team, so I am assuming that you will go with these guys if I need you to, so that is how I will post it. My next post will end your Eruption thread. After that, you will all post in the Prelude thread. The order in which people have been gathered by August is not terribly important, but Andrea is brought in first, and Jillian is brought in last. [[EDIT: Last of the PCs, next to last overall...]]

Please note that there were 11 novas collected by August (Prelude, 1st post). Lincoln I have created. I want each one of you to think of a completely different Novus character than yourself, and PM me a summary. You don't have to 'roll them up', unless you wish to and get carried away. It can be a paragraph describing who they were, and what kinds of powers they have. For this 'Extra', I don't want any Westerners. As exotic a locale as possible, please, for our Novus extras. Rianna, your sister is not your entry, please.

Is he doing this to be lazy, or does he just want us to have a greater hand in creating the story? I guess we'll never know....

No problem, IR, do what you can, when you can.

Thanks to Iron Rose and Thomas Froit for their character sheets.

The extra 5np was all of your benefit for participating in the eruption threads. I will, from this point forward, award XP for outstanding service to the game, and at certain points during the game. Thomas Froit, please take 5xp for your submission of Zhao Benji. Excellent work, sir.

What Thomas said. By "extra 5NP", I was referring to the 35NP build as opposed to the regular 30 point build. The second round of 15BP is mainly because I forbid Quantum in the first round, and that is as cheap as Quantum gets (though you certainly don't have to spend it on Quantum). The 5XP was a reward for making the 'Extra' character.

[[EDIT: Thomas, I give up. Is your last name pronounced 'Fwaa'? ]]

5XP to Envoy for her NPC contribution.

I meant to get a post or three up tonight, but it was my wife's mother's fiftieth birthday. I did not know that. Perhaps you keep track of your wife's mother's birthday, but although I think the world of her, I do not. So it was kind of a surprise party. For me, anyway. But, good times. I will absolutely bust my butt tomorrow, and get a Prelude post (necessary) and a 'meet your new friends' post in each of your threads. Hell, it'll be like old times. I'm beat. See y'all later.

Yeah. I'm so sorry, guys. I had the timing all figured out, and then my wife's mother's party screwed me up. I am going to make a conclusive post in each thread that brings you into the fold, with Lincoln and an assistant, and that will be the end of your eruption threads. If anyone wishes to, you may post in the Prelude thread, with your characters meeting, exchanging ideas, arguing with August, what have you. I know that it's not ideal, without your conclusive posts in your eruption threads, but it's what I have. I hope my delays have not soured anyone on the game. It's the best I can do right now.

We are having a good time. Not a great time, because all three kids are feverish, and one of them is throwing up, but we're trying to enjoy ourselves anyway. Hopefully their bug will move on tomorrow. I'll try to get you guys wrapped up soon. Again, anyone who wishes may post a little mini-fiction, shared or solo, in the Prelude thread. Thanks for understanding.

No worries. Family first and all that. For my part, give us a quick overview about what's going on far as our PCs know and where we are post eruption/recruitment and I'll be happy as can be getting the mingling started.

Also, is eufiber purchaseable yet or is that still somewhere off in the future assuming we're lucky enough to last that long and find the guy behind it?

The Prelude thread is intended as a quick overview of what is going on for the PCs. August's motivations are fairly well outlined in the most recent post. Essentially, he is 'rescuing' Novus from Aeon recruitment, and bringing them to a large estate outside of Munich, Germany. However, your character is not limited to there, as he does not care who comes and goes, he is simply offering a haven from the pressures of being a Novus, and the companionship of others like you. In addition, he is perfectly willing to put out money to satisfy most needs. For example, I posted in the last Prelude post that 'Thomas was down in the workshop'. This was to demonstrate that if Thomas has need of a workshop, he may set one up at August's estate with little or no difficulty.

Eufiber is available only to Aeon affiliated Novus at this time, so no Eufiber yet. Sorry.

The kids feel better, and we went swimming in a local swimming hole this morning. This afternoon we are hiking in Lost Valley, ending in a cave with an underground waterfall. My seven year old is excited. Hell, I am too. I will do my best to post something this evening in Jill and Keiko's at the least.

We continue to have a blast in Arkansas. It hasn't rained here in a long time, so our plans to float the Buffalo river went bust. That said, we have done a ton of hiking, looking in caves, and over bluffs. We have swum in a different swimming hole every day, and every night my brother and sisters and our spouses and I play games (Trivial Pursuit, Catchphrase, Spades, and the like). I don't feel too bad about not posting, and I see that you guys have made yourselves at home in the Prelude thread, which is awesome.

Actually, I like the dynamic of posting your recruitment posts after I see your posts in Prelude, off plan though it was. For example, Keiko thinks of the 'mysterious job offer', and so I have to come up with the reason that she thinks that, and I feel it gives the post a certain something. At any rate, I will continue to get those posted, and we should be ready to begin Chapter One on Sunday, or Monday at the outside. Only one more day of relaxation, then Saturday is a travel day. I'm sad, but ready to get home soon. Thanks everyone again for your patience during my vacation.

Also, I forgot to mention 5XP for Jillian Johnson for NPC contribution. The players who have not submitted NPCs do not have to do so, but if you wish to, I need them by Sunday. Thanks everyone.

Quick heads up for everyone. Again, the post where you get recruited by Lincoln is the LAST post in your eruption thread. From this point until Chapter One, you should be posting in the Prelude thread. Sorry for any confusion.

Quick list time. Here are the list of August's Novus, in the order that they were brought to Munich:

Lincoln Goode - New Zealand

Susilo Nasution - Indonesia

Andrea Nast - USA

Keiko Hitsugaya - Japanese/American

Jake Stonecalf - Native American

Rianna Connelly - USA

Thomas Froit - USA

Rafael Galleti - Brazil

Aarif bin Said - Oman

Jillian Johnson - USA

Zhao Benjii- People's Republic of China

I will try to bring some closure to the Prelude, and begin Chapter One tonight. After I post the first Chapter One post, I will give instructions here on how I want you to join in. (Bossy little bastard, ain't I?)

[EDIT: Let me also add that the NPCs are not particularly important, except to add color and diversity. When the team goes on a mission, it's you guys. You are the team. At best, they are a resource you might draw on, but in most cases, not even that, considering the nature of the mission (what? You don't know the nature of the missions? Mwuhahahaha!]

[EDIT2: Actually, I'm going to need a bit of interaction in the Prelude before it's ready to conclude. No worries, we'll get there. It's the journey, not the destination. All this stuff is just backstory for the story we're going to tell. I'm telling you, I think you guys will love what I have planned for you, and everything we have done so far will just make it richer, and your characters more developed from the start.]

It occurred to me this morning how I can conclude the Prelude thread, so we can get on the road. I'll get that done this afternoon (it shouldn't be that busy at work, and I'm pretty sure it won't take a very long post to do what I have in mind), so TONIGHT is the NIGHT, baby. Chapter One, and you can take it to the bank!

As Lincoln's post implies, please each of you give us an idea of what you are doing Monday morning, ending with leaving for, or arriving at, the brunch with August. This should serve as a clean break from the eruption stories. Any lingering threads will be hanging for a while, so if there was anything you wanted to get done, either it won't get done for a bit, or you got it done in the previous weeks. This is, literally, a new chapter in the lives of these Novus.

I am very excited to see how you like what I have planned. I hope you like it lots.

Not a problem, J. We'll go for quality over quantity, and wait for you. I saw that you have limited update schedule, and I (and therefore everyone) am happy to work around it. Thanks again for your participation in this story.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, one more day to declare actions, and tomorrow (SUN) night, I'm moving forward.

Please let me know if there is anything you need from me: more time, better explanation, whatever. I suppose, in retrospect, that I should have built to the rift a bit better, but I was just chomping at the bit to get you guys into the action. I will try to ease your characters into things a bit better in the future, so it doesn't feel so 'plot over here, guys'.

This story is not about you guys being Greek gods. If you wondered.

Hee hee, no no, I apologize for delaying. For some reason I choked a little on how Keiko would react, and then they went and updated Minecraft with PISTONS and it screwed up my sleep cycle so I spent most of Saturday either asleep or out with friends...

Kind of a mess. Anyway, it's nothing you're doing wrong. Just indecision and self-abuse on my part. :)

I am mostly positive that someone may misunderstand what I am going to say, so let me preface this with: I am not saying anything about anyone, I am not mad with anyone. This is quite selfishly about me. So, here's how it goes with me.

Some months ago, I was smoking a cigarette out on my porch, and I found myself thinking about the old game, and one of the things that struck me was the rifts in Ibiza and London. I myself, I've always loved timetravel, and this is a story I wanted to tell in the old game. I didn't know the story, of course, but I thought it could be pretty good.

The next week or two, when I paused my life for a cigarette, I thought about that rift, and the novas who would go through it. once I had that figured out, it seemed like a pretty good story. I wanted to share it on RPGpost. I'm not sure how well I'm going to be received, but I have a story, and what the hell, maybe someone wants to play it. Once I had you guys, I realized that I hadn't thought quite so much about how to get you there.

I've got these guys who are going to go through the rift. Well, it's in Fahrenheit's territory, if not on her actual property, so whoever does it would need to do it for a certain set of interests.

So I developed an obscure character from ItB into the sort of pre-Teragen guy that was hanging out with that group of people. I gave him a sidekick, the traditional muscle, and I made him a 'Professor X'.

But mostly, I thought about what would happen when you guys went through the portal. Not if you would go through it, when you went. And man, I think it is pretty cool.

I roleplayed eruptions because I think it helps. I got maybe too involved in them, and should have skipped right to the point.

Here's the point. I'm here to tell a killer adventure story. It starts with your arrival at the villa, and the explosions. But it REALLY starts when you guys go through the portal.

The Teragen thing is a side thing at most. I chose Aberrant because it is a setting I know, and a rules set that I can fake fairly convincingly online. I literally don't give a shit if you subscribe to the Teragen philosophy or anything else.

What it can boil down to is that when you erupted, someone took you in and helped you. It was gentle, it was kind, and it was exactly the perfect transitional period from what you were to what you are. Those people are now asking you to do them a favor. And paying you very well to do it. It's the best I could do.

But.

It may not be enough for your character. And that is cool. I swear. I will love you, and you will always be welcome in my games, should you choose to play.

All of which is prelude to this, which is not from anything but my need to tell this story:

I will, unless I notify you otherwise in the OOC thread, move the story forward when either 1)Every player has posted; or 2)It has been 48 hours since I posted.

My preference is to post every night, but I want to leave a window for those who just can't do that. Also, I understand that there are some who cannot post even every other night:

No one will be penalized by injury to, or entrapment of, their character without a chance to act.

Other than that, I hope you will forgive me for at least inching the story forward in your absence.

If any of the above causes anyone to feel that they cannot continue to play, I would like the opportunity to ease their character out of the story in a way that they are happy with, and you will continue to be welcome in any game of mine. Again, if you want your character to peel off, and go do other things, then just say so, but NOW is the time to do that. For whatever reason.

I hope that everyone stays and plays! I know that I am melodramatic, and I swear that I don't mean to be. I just want to explain myself as completely as I can in this flawed medium. Not that I have much success with the spoken word either.

PLease PM me if you want to leave the game, otherwise, post any questions here.

All I can say "I'm in" - I can post every night if necessary - the usual modus operandi is to give everyone else a chance to post before you make another post (unless the situation requires an immediate response).

You may have to compromise there, too Titan.

You know I love you man, and your awesome storytelling skills - I'm ready for this. :)

I am so glad that you all stayed, I can't even tell you. I want to address Justin's point. An advantage to what I have proposed is that if you feel you have nothing to add, you do not have to add anything for the story to move forward. You can relax, knowing that I will push ahead on the second day.

I'm really, really glad.

Moving on.

Archived