Aberrant: The Infinity Hour - [ItB:The Infinity Hour] - Table Talk OOC

Titan

Ok, prelude is up, hopefully you are all getting hints of what you are getting into. If you are wondering what you should do next, the answer is nothing. Heh. Tomorrow- or when I have your character sheets, whichever is soonest- I will start you a thread, presenting you with an event in your life that will lead to your eruption. I will leave you with a question or a decision, and you go from there. Please do not erupt until I erupt you. My estimate is perhaps a week of eruption story, then we will start bringing the group together. Update as much or little as you wish, we'll all arrive at the same time. Thanks for playing!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The characters:

Thomas Froit

Keiko

Rianna Connelly (Iron Rose)

Andrea Nast (Envoy)

Jillian Johnson

I have sheets from everyone except Keiko - no hurry, but I'm going to start on everyone else. See you on the other side!

I have all character sheets, and I am going through my openers for each player. Gak! Roleplaying eruptions, especially in separate threads, is time consuming and difficult for the ST (five posts to the players one), but man, I think it is worth it. Bear with me as I get back into the swing of things. Envoy is up, and Jillian is next. I hope to get them all done tonight, but I won't be slapping some BS together to get it done. Your patience is appreciated. Woot!

Hi guys! I got caught up in kid stuff last night, and by the time I was free it was late, so I only got two posts up for y'all. Sorry 'bout that. I'll definitely get the other three up tonight.

This next part goes out to Jillian, but will apply to everyone during the origin threads. You're not 'doin it wrong', the miscommunication was on my part- that's first. However, I will put these little 'figure it out' things into my posts, and I want you to figure it out. In this case, 'Dad's big day' was up in the air for you to decide. In your background, there was a lot about you, and not alot about your family. That's fine, that's great! But, I still want to round out the character, so I'm giving out leading things like this so that you will answer these questions yourself. Dad's big day could be: getting his GED, an SCA lifetime achievement award, a contest at arms to become Duke of the local chapter, a birthday, a remembrance for a deceased mother or grandfather, it could be that he's finally getting his drivers license.... It could be anything you decide, and WHAT you decide tells me more about your character and her life. That is what I meant to do with it, and I should have said something. But, I literally have no notion of what it is, I leave that to you. After eruption, I'll have some definite ideas about events and things, but what we are doing now is just an excercise to round out the character and make her feel real, so for that I need a bit more from you. Cool? I won't be getting back to you or envoy tonight, so feel free to edit your post if you wish. If not, I'm still going to leave the actual event up to you in my next post, so take it how you will. Doesn't mean I don't love ya, cause you know I do.

That's it for me. Till next time.

Nah, the post is excellent, as is. And, I certainly don't want to overstep my bounds in terms of direction. All I want to point out to everyone is that in this part of the story, your character's 'origin', the 'where you are going' and 'why you are going there' parts are really up to you. Later on, when you get together, (which I anticipate in about a RL week or two of posts) it will be more like an NPC handler saying, 'this is the job', and that's where you go. But, and this is the good part, the 'why' you will do it is what we are figuring out right now. What I'm guessing from what I know about your character, both from your character sheets (which came fast and very, very well done by everyone, I'm humbled and gratified by the response from all of you), and from what we are concocting right now. We are figuring out Thomas, who he is on April 13th, 1998, what he does with his baseline life, and why he does it. Mostly, it seems like it is for you guys to get into character, but really, it's so I know how to push and pull their buttons. Does Keiko get furious when children are harmed? Will Andrea do anything for love, or money?

Andrea, then Thomas, then Keiko tonight for sure. More if the words flow quickly, not if they don't.

Yeah, I went a little hog wild, but I'm a steampunk fan too. You could always make it a 'false-start' dream, if you want to dial it back a bit. Of course, if you're going to be an eccentric inventor, then I say embrace it!

Wife and kiddos needed lovin' more than you guys did tonight, so a little Prelude action will have to tide you over, I'm afraid...

I will keep the Prelude coming, so that you (though not necessarily your characters) will have some idea what to expect a bit later. If any of you are wondering, your origin takes place sometime between April 12 and May 3. For Envoy, I have it set. I'm not really sure about the rest of you, but if you have a preference, let me know. I can't imagine that most of you do, but hey you might. I aim to please.

Night all. I'll give some individual love tomorrow.

I know. I skipped Jillian. But, see, I was wrestling with how to get Thomas to eruption and suddenly had the idea of how to do it. So now I know his eruption, and envoy's, and Rianna's. The specifics of Jill's and Keiko's eruptions elude me... but we'll get there. I tired tonight, though. I don't go to work until noon tomorrow, so look for a Jillian post and a Prelude post tomorrow morning. If anyone else posts after now, I'll get to you tomorrow night. I love eruption stories!

Yeah, so I guess you noticed that the best laid plans of mice and men.... I won't plead tired or busy (though I was both of those things), but I just didn't know what to do with Jillian. I thought about it at work, and last night while the kids and I watched some Justice League. Then, about an hour ago, while I was mowing the yard, it came to me. I like it. So, the early evening stretches before me, and I am going to throw wide my arms and make the grandiose proclamation: Posts for Everyone!

Jillian, then Prelude. After that, I will post in the order that you have posted. Sorry for the delay, but like I told Long in chat: I'll take quality over quick, every time.

[[ I re-read much of ItB last night while trying to get sleepy, and thinking about Jillian. GodDAMN we were good. And, I think, a little bit crazy. At one point we had 18 players. Cause that was just how ItB rolled. ]]

[EDIT: Max, I'll take ideas if you have some. I have a general idea of Keiko, but not the specific eruption event. Joani: I went with option: none of the above :P Thomas, sometimes revenge tastes pretty good piping hot. ]]

Two ideas spring to mind offhand. The first is that someone could catch her snooping around the Aeon complex...she erupts out of panic.

The other is that she's in a frantic press conference, trying to talk to a novus or someone important, and everyone else keeps pushing her and jostling her and shouting over her...

As for an eruption 'reference,' I submit to you the scene in the first Raimi Spiderman movie where Peter gets in a fight and suddenly everything slows down. That captures the 'feel' I'm looking for in Keiko's abilities. Though when she speeds up, her subjective experience also gets a bit dimmer, as if the lights were doing down in intensity. Light itself slows down subjectively, so less is reaching her eyes. In most cases the effect is pretty mild, since you'd have to slow time down a LOT to make things appreciably darker. But the more she accelerates, the darker things get. Between the slight dimming and the sudden almost silence, and the surreal appearance of everything moving in slow motion, the whole thing could have a dreamlike feel. :)

Yeah, grandiose proclamation is easy, following through is not. Apologies for the lack of postage, and thanks to all of you for giving me the benefit of the doubt with your patience. I'm not sure that I have fully grasped yet how much of my time is actually committed. Even on my day off. But, hopefully you like what I have for you, delays notwithstanding.

Some notes to keep in mind, if you will:

Envoy: The boys in the bar fighting will conclude the bar scene. Do whatever you will, but don't leave bar, and don't have them fight yet.

Thomas: Would have gone longer, but I didn't know if you wanted to tip your hand or not. Up to you, but don't erupt, I will erupt everyone.

Rianna: Between you and me, the plane is going down. Do whatever you want, have whatever turbulence in the background fits your scene. Don't actually have the plane crash or anything yet, though.

I don't know how much of this you knew already, but I wanted to set the stage for you to write a long scene if you wished. Just about any other kind of scene is on the table, as long as you don't do those things. As always, post as much or as little as you wish.

Posting will be less often than I used to be able to do. I get carried away sometimes, but thanks to everyone for not giving me grief.

Don't worry Titan - general pace and expectations on the site have changed. People are not waiting for daily updates these days anymore, they're a luxury. You are doing awesome and no one will blame you for getting carried away sometime, it happens to all of us - and sometimes (at least in my case), you plan on posting in the evening and then things simply change, kids, wife, not feeling well or uninspired and you end up not posting at all... that's just the way things are.

You're doing a great job and I'm looking forward to your next update.

Announcement: One week from today, on June 16, my wife and I are taking our kids to Arkansas, so they can see where Daddy grew up, and we will spend a week hiking, fishing, canoeing, etc... The lodge has wifi, but my attendance to the game will be pretty limited. My goal is to have eruptions done this week (Example: Thomas will erupt with my next post, Everyone but Keiko should be almost immediately after that), and introduce your characters to August, Lincoln and the gang.

Usually, I like to describe the aftermath of your eruption. But, I'd like to try something new. Once I erupt you ("the pain in your head fills your world, your vision fills with a blue light, and you know no more" kind of thing), I want you to imagine your character as a much more powerful version of herself (think Q8), and what she/he might have done with that power during eruption. This can be a pain-filled lashing out (goes crazy, destroys part of a city) , a deliberate and reasoned event (takes control of the situation with powers and keeps everyone and everything safe), or anything in between. No matter what, though, your character will not remember what happened, and your quantum pointswhen you awake will be at zero. Your first post after I erupt you should be your character regaining his/her senses, and you describing the aftermath without leaving the scene (so my NPCs can find you). Then spend 15 more bonus points and 10np on your character. I'm going to give more, and fairly quickly, but this is to simulate the recovery after eruption.

Any problems or questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

You, the player, know what happened. It's whatever you decide happened. The character, however, only sees the aftermath, and that's what you describe. Make sense? I've never done it this way, either.

[EDIT: I have no problem with the eruption being a major disaster. In the original ItB game, we had an eruption with a death toll of almost 300 people. That's excessive, but it was, thematically, a special case. Try to keep any collateral damage under that, or discuss it with me.]

Actually, belay that. Go ahead and spend the full 25 np. I don't want to limit you unneccesarily, and the empty quantum pool will keep you from getting up to dickins right away. Sorry for the confusion.

No, take your 15 bonus points, and instead of only 10np spend 25np, which will be all of them. Sorry for the confusion.

[EDIT: Yes, 1Quantum, per character creation]

AAAAaagh! My fault. The total should be 35, not 25. It was going to be 10, then 25 more, for a total of 35. Confusion was entirely my fault. Though Max made me do it.

Yep, one thing you can count on with Titan as the ST is decisiveness. When I make a decision, that's it. I mean what I say, and say what I mean. :P

Yeah, in my tabletop Abby games I do it that way, 10 initially, then dribs and drabs of np instead of xp. It works great! But last time, if I recall, it was just a headache.

And Jillian bursts through the finish line, as our first eruption! I was gonna hold off for another post, but as you can see, I plowed on through. I think I'm going to get everyone's eruptions this round. Probably. Be thinking of that aftermath. Just about as big, or as underplayed, as you think your character needs.

Again, take 15 more bonus points, and 35 nova points. You awaken with a completely empty quantum pool, and no memory of what happened during your eruption. Whether or not anyone knows you've erupted is dependent upon what you decide.

Archived