Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Power Profiles #18: Meta Powers

GRR9318e_200.jpg

Power Profiles #18: Meta Powers

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6 pages • $0.99 • full color PDF

Descriptors, Countering & Features

We start out with a pair of paragraphs discussing the Variable effect. I'm sure it's no surprise by now that I consider this a promising start. There is good advice here in terms of handling the Variable's in-built limits, as well as how to deal with the potential for game slowing math during a session of play. Three descriptors follow, helping to better define how Variable effects within the purview of Meta-powers work. After the Countering discussion and Features we are also given a new effect Flaw. I always enjoy it when these products expand not just on our understanding of the system but also on the system itself, and this is no different, offering a new Limit for players and GMs to use for Variable effects.

Offensive Powers

Four powers covering six effects. These are powers that deal with gaining powers, controlling other's powers, and shutting down other's powers. Power Theft has two effects, showing two different design intents behind the power. One is an all or nothing power, while the second offers more incremental gains. With identical costs the all or nothing effect seems the better build, but I think there is room for both depending on the taste of the player and Gamemaster.

Defensive Powers

Four powers. This section contains one of the more interesting builds in the product, with the Power Defense power. I really like this effect, it's not overly expensive, but it provides a clear and useful effect for characters with anti-supers (or anti-mutants, or anti-magic, etc) themes. Adaptive Immunity is very likely one of the single most expensive effects that players and GMs will see. It is a powerful effect, but one that fits well within the genre despite its cost. The advice given to GMs in its description is also valuable.

Movement Powers

This section is only a single power long, an effect built around allowing your power thief (or what-have-you) to get himself to the nearest target (or what-have-you). The effect is suggested for predators, those who hunt others for their powers, as well as seekers such as Demon Hunters, or similar. This power could also easily be adapted to a concept such as a Justicar able to locate and travel to lawbreakers.

Utility Powers

Six powers and over a full page make this the largest section of the Profile. Power Mimicry is the lion' share of this section taking up nearly a half page on its own with suggestions on how to deal with various forms of power mimicry, from Animal Mimicry to Material Mimicry. The Serial Super Form power is an interesting effect, but I cannot help but think that in that particular case the oft forgotten (by the developer as well as players it seems) Morph Extra, Metamorph would better suit this particular character type.

Complications

Five complications close out the profile, with particular attention paid not only to those complications that a character with these powers may have on their own, but also to the weakness of copying or stealing others' powers and possibly their weaknesses and vulnerabilities as well.

Closing Thoughts

The Variable Effect is one that is difficult for many players and GMs to comprehend the use of. It's potential is vast, and can often overwhelm, but this profile helps to show ways that it can be used. The effects within aren't limited to Variable effects however, and other effects are used within this product while maintaining a strong theme. The new power Flaw adds to the utility of this profile for players and GMs, while the effects inside offer some clever solutions to powers displayed within the genre. This is a strong profile, with little working against it, and a great deal working for it.

Rating: 100%, Expanding on the understanding of Variable effects for power mimics and theft as well as expanding the system itself, this is a powerfully useful profile.

Archived