Learn the Dragon Age RPG - OOC thread

So I've been playing a lot of Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG which uses their AGE (Adventure Gaming Engine) system. Green Ronin announced that they were looking to take that system and divest it of the Dragon Age licence next year (after DA Set 3 is out) with their own setting and fuller rules for fantasy game play (and possibly enable use for other genres as many AGE hacks have done for settings like Firefly, Star Wars, Diablo, Mass Effect, and others).

I was wondering if people would like to learn the system? Green Ronin put out a free Quick Start rules booklet with pregen characters and a short adventure. If there are enough players willing to learn I would be willing to run through that adventure with you all using the pregen characters in the Quick Start Guide.

Anybody up for it??

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's three then. Obviously there is plenty more room for players, and if need be I could create additional PCs quickly if we have more than 5, or if we have many more than 5 I could run two groups completely separately. We'll cross that bridge in a day or so, once more people have had a chance to see this and reply. :)

I see no reason why this wouldn't take off, unless people change their minds about this in the next few days.

I will state again: This will not be an ongoing game.

I wanted to make that clear because I really don't know very much about the Dragon Age setting, certainly not enough that I would want to run an extended campaign here, but I do know the AGE rules and I have enough knowledge to play through the starter game to help teach people the rules. I consider this an investment on possible future games using the AGE system. :)

That said we have four players, Ace, Jeremy, Mala, and Joani, which is plenty to run through this with. Hell, when I played in it there were only two PCs and the GM, and we survived. :)

Two questions before I kick this thing off:

1. Is there anybody else who wants to play? Please speak up before we begin.
  2. Have you four been able to download the Quickstart and give it at least a cursory glance?

Oh, two more things.

The human warrior sheet has an error, his/her speed is not 0, it should be 10.

Also, please let me know your preference for the pregens in order of perference. E.g. Warrior > Rogue > Mage - if you want to play a warrior most and a Mage least. Since there is 1 mage, 2 rogues, and 2 warriors that will hopefully make allocating characters a little easier. If we manage to get 6 or more players I will take stock and quickly build a couple more PCs for people to use.

Jeremy - Rouge > Mage > Warrior

Warren - Rogue > Mage > Warrior

Long - Warrior > Mage > Rogue

Joani - Mage > Warrior > Rogue

Mala - Mage > Rogue > Warrior

Ace ?

Carver ?

There's still time for some last minute entries if people want the time and inclination. I'll probably look to start laying out info and such next week and start the game after Memorial Day weekend (since i will be away from home for that weekend).

yeah, once we play through this I will probably explain how character leveling works and show how different two characters of the same class can become over time. And hopefully set 3 will be out by year's end. Plus GR has said that they want to make their own game world for use with the AGE system since they can more easily put out product for something they own as opposed to a licence.

Yeah, I imagine it's hard. Not because Bioware's a dickish company (though EA may be, and they have a say too), but because Dragon Age is a work in progress for Bioware. They're still doing games in that setting, still developing the lore. So every update has to be negotiated all over again.

OK, so thankfully it works out that everybody will get their first choice, as follows:

Jeremy - Rouge

Warren - Rogue

Long - Warrior

Ace - Warrior

Carver - Warrior

Joani - Mage

Mala - Mage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeremy & Warren, please take a look at the 2 rogues in the Quickstart and let me know which you would like to play, with any luck you won't both want the same one. :)

The rest of you, I need to create a 2nd Mage and a 3rd Warrior. I will get those posted up as soon as I am able, tonight or tomorrow. At that point if you can look at those in the Quickstart and the new ones I post and decide which you will want to play. Once everybody has chosen we can move forward. I am hoping to kick things off when I get back home after Memorial Day.

Apostate Mage

Race: Elf

Communication 1

Constitution 0

Cunning 2 (Natural Lore)

Dexterity 1 (Stealth)

Magic 4

Perception 2

Strength 0

Willpower 2

Health: 26

Mana: 19

Speed: 13

Defense: 11

Armor: 0

Weapon Groups: Brawling and Staves.

Language: Trade Tongue

Equipment: Backpack, traveler’s garb, waterskin, healer’s kit, quarterstaff, wand, and 34 silver pieces.

Weapons:

Quarterstaff • +1 • 1d6+1 damage

Unarmed • +1 • 1d3 damage

Class Powers & Talents:

Arcane Lance:

Mages learn to focus magical power through a staff or wand. If you are holding a quarterstaff or a wand, you can make a special ranged attack that damages foes with a lance of magical energy. This is resolved like a normal ranged attack (so stunts are possible), but the attack roll is a Magic (Arcane Lance) test. An arcane lance has a range of 16 yards and inflicts 1d6 + Magic damage. It requires no mana points to make this attack.

Spells: Casting Roll: 3d6+4 • Spellpower: 14

Daze - Mana Cost: 2 MP - Casting Time: Major Action - Target Number: 11

You ensorcell one visible target within 10 yards. A target that makes a successful Willpower (Self-Discipline) test vs. your Spellpower is slightly Confused and suffers a –1 penalty on all ability tests until the beginning of your next turn. A target that fails the test suffers the same penalty and cannot take any actions on his next turn.

Drain Life - Mana Cost: 4 MP - Casting Time: Major Action - Target Number: 12

You suck life energy out of a visible target within 10 yards to heal yourself. The target takes 1d6 + Magic penetrating damage and you are healed by the same amount. Note this only heals damage you have suffered; it doesn’t give you bonus Health above your normal amount. If the target makes a successful Constitution (Stamina) test vs. your Spellpower, the penetrating damage is only 1d6.

Arcane Bolt - Mana Cost: 2 MP - Casting Time: Major Action - Target Number: 10

A bolt of arcane energy springs from your hand or your staff and streaks towards a visible target within 30 yards. The arcane bolt inflicts 2d6 damage, with bonus damage equal to the casting roll’s Dragon Die. If the target makes a successful Dexterity (Acrobatics) test vs. your Spellpower, the spell only inflicts 1d6 damage.

Talent:

Lore • Novice: You have studied hard. When you make a successful Cunning test with a lore focus, the GM should give you an extra piece of information on the topic. A lore focus is any Cunning focus with the word “lore” in it, such as Cultural Lore or Historical Lore. The GM determines the additional information and it may or may not be pertinent to the main question at hand.

Background:

You are an elf, and as if that didn't make your life hard enough you are an Apostate mage, hunted by the chantry as a danger to all Ferelden. Your use your wits and your magic, some of which is conveniently subtle, to stay one step ahead of the circle. Sometimes though you can fall in with some people who are willing to look the other way. One day you hope to maybe join the Dalish elves and live away from the humans who persecute your kind.

Avvarian Warrior

Race: Avvar (human barbarian)

Communication 0

Constitution 3 (Stamina)

Cunning 0

Dexterity 3

Magic 0

Perception 1

Strength 4 (Climbing)

Willpower 1

Health: 36

Speed: 11

Defense: 13

Armor: 5

Weapon Groups: Brawling, Axes, Bludgeons, Heavy Blades

Language: Trade Tongue

Equipment: A backpack, traveler’s garb, a waterskin, two-handed maul, 2 throwing axes, light mail armor.

Weapons:

Two-handed Maul • +4 • 2d6+7 damage

Throwing Axe • +5 • 1d6+6 damage • Short Range: 4 yards • Long Range: 8 yards

Unarmed • +2 • 1d3+4 damage

Class Powers & Talents:

Armor Training

Novice: You have learned to fight while wearing armor. You can wear leather and mail armor without suffering a penalty to Dexterity. You only take the armor’s penalty to your Speed.

Thrown Weapon Style

Novice: You are adept with throwing weapons. Your accuracy is uncanny. You gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls with throwing weapons (this is already added to your attack above).

Two-Hander Style

Novice: You are deadly with two-handed melee weapons. The length of your weapon and the power of your attacks forces foes to yield ground. When you hit with a melee attack with a two-handed weapon, you can move the target 2 yards in any direction.

Background:

You are an Avvarian Hillsman; considered a barbarian by the Ferelden people you rely on your own in born strength as well as your considerable natural hardiness and agility to make a living as a sell-sword. The Ferelden look down on you, but despite this they are willing to pay for your facility with a weapon and your willingness to shed blood.

I added a post with links for some of the major locations and cultures in the game to the other thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Templates

Dawn had said she would like to play the Davies or Davne warrior.

Joani wants to play the Apostate Mage

Jeremy wants to play the Orlesian Exile Rogue.

Feel free to discuss with the others playing your classes, I'll let you all sort yourselves out rather than stepping in and being all GMy about it. :)

A minor update ....

Templates

Ace wants to play the dwarf warrior

Long will play the Avvar warrior (barring any complaints)

Mala has said she would play the circle mage but with my permission has changed to an elf, formerly of the Dalish

Warren will be playing the more thiefy rogue (barring any complaints)

Feel free to discuss with the others playing your classes, I'll let you all sort yourselves out rather than stepping in and being all GMy about it. :)

I'm away for the weekend so I will be starting on Tuesday next week. People have until them to complain and/or swap.

Another minor update ....

Templates

Ace wants to play the dwarf warrior

Long will play the Avvar warrior (barring any complaints)

Mala has said she would play the circle mage but with my permission has changed to an elf, formerly of the Dalish

Warren will be playing the more thiefy rogue (barring any complaints)

I'm away for the weekend so I will be starting on Tuesday next week. People have until them to complain and/or swap.

Archived