Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Power Profiles #15: Kinetic Powers

GRR9315e_200.jpg

Power Profiles #15: Kinetic Powers

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6 pages • $0.99 • full color PDF

Descriptors, Countering & Features

I like it when we got off format in an inclusive way. We start out not with Descriptors, as is the norm, but instead with a half page discussion of the Move Object effect. This touches on the use of the Damaging extra, the use of noticeability (or lack thereof), area effects, and range modifiers. The range modifiers discussion merits special mention at highlighting that normal perception penalties still apply for using a Move Object at range to perform skill checks. I really like this little section as it helps to flesh out the power beyond what we have from the Hero's Handbook.

Five descriptors cover not just the usual telekinetic effects but also friction and other "kinetic" descriptors. This is one of the better descriptor sections as "kinetic" powers cover a broad range of potential effects that are not necessarily related the way something like say, Weather Powers, would be. Countering is also covered here, and as one would expect Kinetic effects have some fairly broad countering potential. Also included is another small section on noticeability on more general terms as opposed to specific to Move Object. Three features round out the section.

Offensive Powers

We're nearly to the third page before we get to the nine powers and ten effects that comprise this section. The powers here are generally usable regardless of the particular kinetic descriptor at use, but some are keyed to, and appropriate for, specific descriptors more than others, for instance Friction Blindness could certainly be duplicated with telekinesis with some changes to its in game description.

Friction Blindness is also stands out for a different reason, in that it gives us clues with regards to how Afflictions with duration beyond instant work mechanically. Some GMs may wish to depart from the "ruling" herein, but it does provide some direction to how the game's designer handles such powers, and, as always, this kind of thing is appreciated, and helps to elevate the Profile above the rank and file.

Defensive Powers

Six powers for keeping your hero in the fight. The ubiquitous Protection effect is here, of course, but is also joined by a few Immunity effects for various descriptors, and a couple of other powers. Immunity to Kinetic Effects is an obviously broad spectrum immunity to a number of potential effects with an equally numerous array of potential descriptors. It's cost here has me potentially reevaluating a character I have currently, not because I paid more or less, but because I think I underestimated the protection gained for the cost paid.

Movement Powers

This section is short, comprising only three powers, none of which are any form of Flight. Kinetic Transport is a power that at first look (which is to say I glanced at the effect first) struck me as an odd inclusion here. Once I read the description however I found myself laughing and muttering about how cool it was while wishing I had thought of it. I won't spoil the power here, but suffice to say I would never have expected this Effect to show up in a Kinetic Power Profile, or how perfectly it fits in.

Utility Powers, Other Kinetic Powers, and Complications

Seven powers (and 8 effects) including Telekinesis and others. There are some interesting effects here, from the use of a Broad Weaken, to the application of an Area Effect Affliction to impede movement. The Telekinesis Touch power is interesting not just for its effect, but also for the mention of how it may justify the inclusion of the Feedback flaw to other Kinetic Powers.

Speaking of Other Kinetic Powers there is mention that the (upcoming) Strength Power Profile might provide additional material for a Kinetic controller depending on their descriptors. Three other past Profiles are also mentioned for use depending on a character's particular descriptors and scope of control.

Five Complications wrap up the profile. The Power Loss, Side Effect, and Weakness complications being of especially good use as they compare and contrast the differences between Kinetic powers that ignore, or obey, the laws of conservation of energy, as well as the potential weakness that a character may have against "energy" effects that bypass their own defensive powers.

Closing Thoughts

This is a solid profile, easily falling into the top five in my mind. While it didn't introduce any new Extras or Flaws it does contain a well thought out discussion on the Move Object power, and several cleverly built powers. The movement section was shorter than expected perhaps, as I feel that would have been an ideal place to cover heroes who use their powers to help others move from place to place either by way of a force bubble, flight platform, or other method. That said new players and average players will likely find a lot to like here and even veterans will find a few new tricks, some useful discussion, and perhaps even a couple of cleverly used power effects.

Rating: 95%, Just shy of perfect. Highly Recommended.

Archived