Matt

RPG Post Games App

45 posts in this topic

I have thought about many uses for the games function. It could be used for projects, even though those haven't had much use in a while. Or it could be used for game discussion where people could start forums for their favorite games.

The problem with expanding the usage is that at there will be inherit issues that will spring up for something that may not get much use. I know that people post in play by post forums. From time to time people post in the gaming forums. Rarely do people work on projects. And the majority of projects started in secret on the site go nowhere.

If we had a thousand people on here and 20-30 of them could potentially use the added functionality I wouldn't hesitate. But I don't want to add functionality that I don't know if people will use that could confuse people.

The main problem that I have with it is that I can't distinguish between settings from one type to another. If I could say that projects can be open or private but games have to be open I would have less of an issue. But when I open the private option then people will want to start making private games, which do nothing for the site.

I'm not opposed but if it isn't something that multiple people would use it would probably be better for me to just create forums for select people as needed.

My understanding of the settings is that if I want a game to be private it can be, if I wanted a private project using the same app I could just turn of guest viewing. I dunno. I might try it out at some point if I get enough motivation to do something large scale again.

As is you can have it for members only, but the only option that I have for visibility is public. There is a private options but I currently have it disabled.

I wouldn't need it to be private private, heck if I wanted to work on something and have nobody see it I'd just do that offline. Still, it was just a thought, not like I have anything planned ATM.

Ok, I misunderstood you.

One thing that I mentioned in chat the other day that I haven't posted about is that I am thinking about switching the order of the games to place the various games at the top. The reason is to place the Online Gaming forum into the various category. Then I would like to develop a couple of staging "games" so that people could start their games up there. I would get 1 person to oversee each section and they could create a subforum for the new game.

This would allow multiple people to help set up the new games section and then new games would at least get their own forum to start off. Once the game gets going they would still need to create their own game and I would have to approve it and move the content over.