Matt

RPG Post Games App

45 posts in this topic

We had this running for a while but I didn't do much to promote it. I am thinking about converting all games to use this system. There will still be a beta testing before we make the actual switch, but I can't see a downside. I'm sure that someone will find one though. ;)

If you don't want to take advantage of the expanded functionality you can still use forum as is with little change. When you go to your game forum page there will be a right sidebar with links. Other than that it will all pretty much be the same.

But for people that want to do more there will be a lot of options.

Sidebar

As I mentioned earlier, games will have a sidebar that is controlled by the person running the game. The sidebar will contain links that are relevant to the game. The links could go to the dice roller, a write up of the game, a page with the status of the game, basically anything on the internet.

Pages

Since you have the option to link to things you may want the ability to create unique content. With the new games function you can create unlimited pages for your games. The pages can have unique layouts and feature any content that you want. You can create a place for rules or have wiki about the world that includes a gallery of the characters in the game.

Subforums

People can create subforums for their games on their own. There will be limits to the number of forums, but you can access them without needing your friendly neighborhood admin to set them up for you.

Ranks

Each game must be controlled and owned by 1 person. If you want to bring other people in to help you, then you can go into your game control panel and give them the option to be a moderator in your game. If you want to give the game to someone else to take over you can also do that.

Setup

I am still going to require that people prepare their games and get them started before they can launch their own forum. I am doing this so that things don't bog down in games that don't go anywhere.

Right now you have to make your initial posts in a forum shared by everyone. When we switch I may convert the games forum to a shared game that all of our regular STs can control. They can add a subforum for anyone that wants to start up a game. Or I may create create multiple gaming areas for each game system so that new games can be played in a subforum at the bottom of each category. Then people can request their full game forum when they have allotted the necessary posts/threads.

This won't bring in new people, but I do think it will offer more to people that want to run an online game here. I hope to have this in place this summer.

1 person likes this

Because this is Backwards Day, I have this to say:

It's a terrible idea that I hate very much! I will never want to play games that use this system!

When it comes to this, I would like to see it in operation (and test it... and sink it a couple times and swim back to get another one) before I say I like it or not. It sounds like this will help make the site more organized. And if it helps your job in general, Chosen, then it's a good thing.

The question of what I meant by App came up in the chat. This doesn't require a tablet or smart phone. It is an extension of the site, like the gallery, blogs or downloads. If you use the site you'll be able to use this. Anything that is an addon here is called an app for big things linked from the top or hook for elements that exist on the page without adding new areas.

The games app is currently in beta testing. I am looking for games to test out the system, so if you run a game here and are willing to help and want to try out the new features please let me know.

Thanks Joani and Dawn. So far Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium and Shadowrun: Everybody Lies are actively in the Games beta test.

I promoted, or volunteered, Titan's Aberrant: The Infinity Hour game to the Games App.

I created a game for it, just need admin approval and then to move the 3 threads over :)

How should game access work? There are a few couple options.

Option 1 - Anyone can post in any forum or subforum for any game.

Option 2 - The person running the game has the option to allow or disallow people from posting in their game or subforums. With this option the person can manually configure whether to allow people to post in forums selectively. You can allow anyone to post in the main forum while having subforums where only members can post. You can also create new groups within your game so that if your game had 2 sections Group A could only post in Subforum A, while Group B could only post in Subforum B.

I can set the defaults to whatever people want. I can set it and leave it or give people the option to change it. I don't want to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Thanks Chosen!

When you say "any person" do you mean, any person who is a member of that game? Or do you not need to "sign up" for the game to be able to post?

Either way Option 2 might have some situational future use but I don't think it needs to be the default.

It can be either way, any member of the forum or anyone that has signed up for the game. I just need to know if people would prefer to allow everyone to post by default or to make people sign up. I am assuming that it will be to allow everyone, but just want to confirm.

For my money the default of everybody can post unless the owner says otherwise seems fine to me.

Hey Chosen, is there any way to move (or remove) the little game navigation sidebar when viewing threads? It scrumps up the posts quite a bit and really is only visible when at the top of the page. Can it be edited to act as a header type toolbar instead of a sidebar?

Chosen, after having used the app pretty extensively tonight, I see a couple of major issues with how it functions.

1. The app doesn't let me hide, delete, edit, pin, lock or basically do anything to the posts. I had these functions as a moderator and used them quite a bit. Is there a way to restore them in the game app?
  2. News posts generate a post in the news place on the first page, but they also show up as posts, which I can't delete, hide or lock and which clutters up and confuses my players.

I'm not sure if anything can be done about it within the app. If not, it makes it rather hard for STs to run games doing anything more than the most basic of functions.

From your game's "home" page chose "Manage Game"

Scroll down and click on "Manage Forums" at the bottom of the left sidebar.

Click edit for the forum.

At the bottom you need to select Gamemaster from within the "Moderate" selection box. then "Save Forum"

this restored my moderation for Dragon Age, it's probably just a preset issue

Jim, thanks, that got me the moderation back. So now I wonder is there a way to post just to the News post? That seems like a handy tool to use, but it's a pain when I have to follow up after and hide/delete the post from the forum to prevent confusino clutter.

Chosen, and then I broke the Home page. I tried to Edit that; apprently it doesn't like it when you do that. Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Also, I can't move topics, despite having other moderator functions and being able to create a forum.

I fixed Dawn's home page issue, but I am also unable to move posts between primary and subforums. I cannot find a setting that would be controlling it so I suspect this is a bug

Welcome to beta testing. :sorry: Thank for helping to find the issues.

I have it set up so that new games will have the ability to edit, pin and lock by default. I'll report the move topic bug to the developer.

The default for the News block is to post something that will also post in the forum. The majority of the time I do something that doesn't utilize the forums it seems to get less usage and response, such as the blogs. There is a text option that you can use to provide a message that is not part of the forum. This a single element that currently must be overwritten to update the information.

Hey Chosen, is there any way to move (or remove) the little game navigation sidebar when viewing threads? It scrumps up the posts quite a bit and really is only visible when at the top of the page. Can it be edited to act as a header type toolbar instead of a sidebar?

There is currently only the game navigation there. I'm going to see about making it collapsible like the homepage sidebar. The goal is for it to offer multiple things in the future. This could include elements that I want to introduce into the sidebar, game updates, dice results or a lot of other things.

The default for the News block is to post something that will also post in the forum. The majority of the time I do something that doesn't utilize the forums it seems to get less usage and response, such as the blogs. There is a text option that you can use to provide a message that is not part of the forum. This a single element that currently must be overwritten to update the information.

I created a text box that Chosen describes and made a game annoucement for the Dragon Age game HERE if you want to see an example Dawn.

Chosen, is there a way to make a game's "home" page the default from the front page instead of it's forum page?

Not easily. My concern is finding the balance between people that want to take advantage of the Games App and the people that don't want any change. If you just want to get into your game there will be a second click involved and my original thought was that most people here wouldn't want that.

Here is a little more feedback on what is currently going on with the beta. The actual forum software is in beta. That means that it is currently being developed and there are bugs in it. Along with that I am beta testing it here so that I can see what works and what doesn't for this site. I am taking all of the great feedback that I am getting and giving it to the developer so that he can find out what isn't working and get insight into the ways that people are using it in order to make new features.

There will be a process of settings some things up for how it works today and then hopefully the development will go in the direction we want and the process will become easier and more user friendly. So while some elements can't be easily fixed, every single point of feedback is important to getting this to the place where we all want it to be.

I "fixed" the news thing by having it default to putting posts in the Archieve subforum I created. That will placate my brain and allow me to use the way its supposed to be used.

The text thing is okay, but the news feed is what I'd like to use. :D

Well as feedback then: I don't expect to get much use out of the "home pages" since as a GM I will have no way to know if people are even navigating to the home page. Since I don't have that certainty I probably will use forum based solutions that have proven in the past.

Alternately if there was a way to integrate a game's forum into it's homepage that might be a good solution.

Minor observation - clicking on the recent post links doesn't take you to the last post, but to the first. If the thread has several pages, you have to actively go to the last post manually instead of being taken to the latest post automatically. This happens only from the Games tab.

Also, question, is there a reason we're limited to 2 subforums? I ask only because I'm a crazy person when it comes to sorting/organizing stuff so I quickly learned that two was the limit.

I created a subforum and wanted to move a few topics into that new subforum but I get an error message unfortunately. I used Jameson's workaround to reactivate my moderation status and that did work (I was able to pin a post within the original forum) but I can't move topics around. Help?

Dawn reported that yesterday and I confirmed it. Chosen said he has reported it to the developer.

alright - that measn wait for a fix :) Thanks for the feedback.

Well as feedback then: I don't expect to get much use out of the "home pages" since as a GM I will have no way to know if people are even navigating to the home page. Since I don't have that certainty I probably will use forum based solutions that have proven in the past.

Alternately if there was a way to integrate a game's forum into it's homepage that might be a good solution.

I agree and recommend using the standard forum based solutions for updating an ongoing game.

The value that I think the homepage has is to provide information for potential new players. I want to make a basic format so that people interested in a game can easily find out the information without having to look through all these posts in the forum. I want to eventually make more wiki like elements so that all the setting information can be placed in there to help organize things better. Currently it is just the basic functionality, but the system was created to allow for any number of upgrades

Also, question, is there a reason we're limited to 2 subforums? I ask only because I'm a crazy person when it comes to sorting/organizing stuff so I quickly learned that two was the limit.

I meant to have it set to 3 subforums, but didn't realize it counted the initial forum in the number. I have to set a limit in order the insure that no one overloads the site.

Chosen, would the use of the "games" function be appropriate as a development area for projects if one was so inclined instead of the current development area which requires a little more hands on for you to set up? I ask because I can imagine starting a forum and putting a bunch of setting development time with most of guest privledges turned off until I was ready to run the game. I know that it -can- be done, so this is more a question about how appropriate you feel this would be as a potential usage mode.