Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Power Profiles #13: Illusion Powers

GRR9313e_200.jpg

Power Profiles #13: Illusion Powers

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6 pages • $0.99 • full color PDF

Descriptors, Countering & Features

... and more! Before we even get to the Descriptors section there is a discussion of the Illusion effect and how many effects with the illusion descriptors may not use the Illusion effect. There is also mention that with Insight skill ranks being limited by PL in a different way from Power Effect PL limits that GMs may want to adjudicate some house rules to compensate.

Four descriptors cover the major forms of illusion, from the purely mental, to the entirely "real" holographic type effects that can be seen by machines. Countering discusses how illusion can counter illusion, and how real effects may reveal the false nature of an illusion effect (e.g. real water failing to put out a fake fire). A handful of features also display the more minor effects of illusory powers.

But wait, there's even more! A sidebar is presented that discusses how to run Illusions as a type of Affliction instead of the normal Illusion effect rules. A two paragraph discussion on how realism of an illusion will help to make them more believable (in character) is followed by another about how characters overcome illusions. Lastly two new/expanded Extras are presented. The first allows for especially convincing Illusions while the second provides a devastating flexibility for Afflictions.

Offensive Powers

Four offensive powers, none of which use the Illusion base effect. Illusory damage provides and interesting mechanical hack for damaging effects that are illusion based. It's an interesting choice, and an interesting mechanic that allows the victim to realize that "it was all an illusion" to recover from the accrued damage.

Defensive Powers

Surprisingly there is no Enhanced Defenses effect within the three Defensive powers here. It's a good surprise though, as the Hidden Cover and Illusory Double powers are easily the bread and butter here with the former being a very clever effect.

Movement Powers

Obviously this section is short, and in this case short means one single power. Illusory Projection works much in the way that Astral Projection (from the Mental Powers profile) does, and a wise GM would be cautious in allowing a player to purchase it and use it to remain out of harm's way by projecting themselves into battle while their body remains safe and sound at home.

Utility Powers, Other Illusion Powers, and Complications

Five effects including the Illusion power, broken down and detailed with almost a half page all on its own. The other Utility Powers are all interesting in their own right expanding the abilities of illusion. Suggestions are also made to consider powers from the Mental Powers, Light Powers, and even Sonic Powers Profiles. Six Complications are detailed briefly, on half a page, the earlier sections having run generously long.

Closing Thoughts

After the Magic Powers Profile, I was extremely pleased to see the profile return not only to the established form, but also to step up and provide another example of a perfect product. There is something for all level of Mutants and Masterminds user in this profile with example powers share page space with optional rules and new Extras to expand on the core rules. I'm sure that I could find some nits to pick if I really wanted to, but after a thorough read I through there was nothing that sat poorly for me, and nothing that failed to deliver.

Rating: 100%, There is something for everybody in this profile. Discussion of power mechanics as well as new Extras helps to elevate this product above and beyond the beginner or average user and make it one of the small handful of "must have" profiles.

Archived