Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

To each their own. The only functional item of the ship that Nate didn't research himself via the gadget rules was the warp drive that came through the purchase of Sanctum Sanctorum. If you aren't comfortable with that so be it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is how I see it.

Telluris' fortress of solitude, and Kei's aircraft carrier are mostly reasonable. Kei's is as mundane as a Sanctum Sanctorum can get, but it is still quite extraordinary. A space craft, even a normal speed craft is a bit less believable.

It's unfortunate that I've not said more until now in regards to the space craft. Early on I thought it was a cute idea that would be a few years down the line, but to me it feels like it came too fast.

So I've been struggling with this character; I'll get a feel for her and then lose it. It's really been frustrating. So I'd like to request a chance to rewrite her. The IC reason for this is to happen is a quantum storm--a strange, intense gathering of quantum that soaks an area and causes mutations before fading. I'd like for Kitty to be caught in this storm. It appears to kill her, but instead rewrites her and teleports her essence (soul, mind, memories, etc) into a new quantum-built form. Her empty, dead shell remains behind.

This would be arranged by Coyote's rival, so there would be a storyline revolving around it. Then there would be Kitty's return, trying to convince people that she is the beloved dead actress.

Is this something that I could pursue?

I haven't written in CN for months, despite every intention to do so, but I have no issues with this. Just a question, is the Quantum Storm a pseudo-natural effect (perhaps caused by the rising prevalence of Novas and their quantum-manipulative ways), which in theory could happen again, or caused by some other factor, on purpose or by accident?

To be honest, having too many things happening will only cause plots to get dropped.

My point of view is the exact opposite of yours, Kitty. There are things that can happen in the Cuidad plot that can effect everyone in the game. Or nothing at all. Cuidad is a lynchpin plot but no one has chased it but me.

I just don't get it, really. Why suddenly interest in multiple other things here, and not in a key plot?

In fact, I'm going to get this off my chest now. If a plot thread of any kind doesn't have a clear requested posting rate and a end-date goal, I am not going to join it. All the dangling threads here in CN is starting to get too much.

I'm not asking that people post every day. What I am wanting to see is some effort in people at least finishing what they start.

In fact, this is how I am going to be with CN for the forseeable.

If anyone needs me and my characters for a thread, I will participate. Keeping in mind what I stated above. I will no longer start threads here.

I also ask for my characters to be NPCs for a few months otherwise, as I cool off and figure out if I want to continue with this game or not.

I am getting quite frustrated with CN and this is my breaking point.

Okay... My head is on straighter. Ready to do things with my character

I do have some ideas with my characters independent of the Cuidad plot. I am going to talk to Justin and see what can be done with it, to see if it can be moved forward.

As for my characters:

Kei: I was thinking of getting her tied into a political crisis, perhaps even into a minor military action. I might consult people to see how far it can go, but as Kei is the most positioned to be tied into these sorts of crises, I can write those types of stories for her.

Rebecca: The reason why I was sort of set to have Rebecca head to the moon on her own is I had a science fiction plot in mind. Namely with a Refugee that had holed up on the moon with a base of their own design, hiding a wealth of knowledge in their compound that Rebecca (and companions) find. I'm not really enamored with taking Fox's ship up there, but I would love to share a one thread plot that has a interesting story behind it.

Naomi: See next post from Naomi.

To be honest... I should say... any input outside of what I offered?

I have come to a agreed decision with Long/Justin in how to work this next thread. Surprisingly I am okay with this.

We both have decided that Naomi will die after childbirth due to unforeseen complications during delivery. We do plan on having a funeral for her, Any characters wishing to attend may do so once the thread opens to visitors. But this is something I am accepting at this point. For the story.

The thread will start shortly.

Addendum: There will be a funeral, once I open the thread anyone wishing to participate may join in. Not sure if the ceremony will be on screen, but this is part of the plan.

Fox: I am willing to compromise on ideas here. Perhaps for my "moonshot" thread your character will be asked to put his ship "on station" in orbit around the moon in case of an emergency. If you're not a flier I can simply warp Nate to the lunar surface. And if you're not adaptive, I think things can be arranged for some sort of protection.

The first few posts with this will be organizational and solo. I am willing to take others along as well... we need a change of pace and I've been having this idea turn over and over in my head for a while. It'll be "delayed" until August (in other words dated for August) and outside of that I don't think there is any sticky little timeline issues.

Ok, let me know when you want me to jump in on the thread. He wouldn't be bringing his ship near tranquility base anyway, too much chance of disturbing the site with engine exhaust and such. Having it remain in lunar orbit, close at hand but not a primary location in the scene is fine.

hey here is a rework on an old character concept of mine.

puppeteer
concept: Artist
Nature: Visionary
Allegiance: No one
Attributes:
Physical: Str. 2 Dex. 2 Stam. 2, Mental: Per. 2 Int. 4 Wits. 4, Social: App. 3 Man. 2 Cha. 3
Abilities:
Physical: Str.: Brawl (multiple opponents, blind fighting); Dex.: Drive, Legerdemain, Athletics; Stam.: Endurance, Resistance
Mental: Per.: Navigation; Int.: Computer, Intrusion, Linguistics 2 (Native: English, Spanish, Japanese); Wit.: Arts 2(design, drawing), Biz, Rapport
Social: App.: Disguise, Intimidate; Man.: Subterfuge, Diplomacy, Seduction; Cha.:Etiquette, Perform 2 (dance, singing)
Background: 3 allies (3 allies.), 1 Resources, 2 Followers (stage hands), 1 Mentor (Acting Teacher or just a teacher.)
Finishing touches:
Willpower 3, Quantum 1, Initiative: 6, Walk: 7m, Run: 14m, Sprint: 26m
Bonus points:
Taint Resistant, Quantum Recovery 3, Photographic Memory, 4 specialty: (Legerdemain: Card tricks, Parlor Magic; Art: Sculpting;; Perform: Acting
Nova: 90 points
9 attribute points: 3 n.p.
Physical: Str. 3, Dex. 3, Stam. 3; Mental:Per. 3, Int. 5, Wis. 5; Social: App. 3, Man. 4, Cha. 4
Ability points (54) 9
Physical: Str.: Brawl 3 (multiple opponents, blind fighting), Might 3; Dex.: Drive 3, Legerdemain 3 (Card tricks, Parlor Magic), Athletics 3, Melee 3; Stam.: Endurance 4, Resistance 4
Mental: Per.: Navigation 3, Awareness 3; Int.: Computer 5, Intrusion 4, Linguistics 2 (native: English, Spanish, Japanese); Wit.: Arts 5 (sculpting, design, drawing), Biz 2 , Rapport 3
Social:App.: Disguise 3, Intimidate 3; Man.: Subterfuge 2, Diplomacy 4, Seduction 2; Cha.:Etiquette 4, Perform 4 (acting, dancing, singing)
Background: 1 (5 dots.)
3 allies (3 allies.); 1 Resources; 2 Followers (stage hands); 1 Mentor (Acting Teacher or just a teacher.); Dormancy 3; Node 2
Mega Enhancement and Mega Attr.: 10 n.p.
Mega Stam.: 1, Stam. Enhancement: Resiliency; Mega Dex.: 1, Dex: Enhancement: Light Fingers; Mega Intel.: 1, Intel: Enhancement: Linguistic Genius; Mega Wits: 1, Wits Enhancement: Artistic Genius
Powers: 17 n.p.
Force Field 5 points (lv.2) 5 n.p., Molecular Manipulation 1 point (lv.3 power) Molecular Animation 2n.p., Quantum Construct 5 points (lv.3) 10 n.p.
Stats: 29 n.p.
Willpower 4, quantum 5 (25)
(69 points spent.)
Finishing touches:
Willpower 7, Quantum 5, Initiative: 10, Walk: 7m, Run: 16m, Sprint: 32 m, +2 Bashing, +1 Lethal, +1 Bruised, +2 Soak

Ace, if I may, I recommend a layout option to you for your characters: Look at how our characters are written and use that format. The space between every stat and entry stretches out the total sheet and causes a massive amount of scrolling. Also place your prototype in spoilertags.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys... I'm just saying this as I'd love to see CN revive itself.

We've had some plot threads just die here and there is very little going. We're spread out and we're not doing very well. We could do better, and I have a proposition for it.

1: We reboot CN. We place the current time to whenever we start, and we place the focus on one country's team. While right now the gravity is moving towards Japan, I think a proper place for us would be the DSA and the United States. This also resets the timeline, and will allow for a rebuild of pre-existing characters or the creation of different characters. This is a hard "Restore to Factory Settings" more than a reboot, honestly.

2: We limit ourselves to 2 characters maximum.

3: We try to have someone STing a plot, at least offering one plot thread a month, with a limit of 3 on-going threads at any one time.

4: We reward posting. 5 posts a month should get some form of reward for the effort.

I'm offering this as a suggestion, as this might be a way to get CN going again, with better focus.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess none of the above. Oh well.

Also I think I need some time away from CN. There's certain events I just don't want to be present for here for a while.

I hate to say it, but I don't think I'm contributing anything to CN, and I just want to do other things. I'm sorry, but I have to walk away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who are still active in Cosmos Nova and who are interested, Aurelius (the CN character whose profile I just posted) possesses a custom power I wrote up for his use. Its writeup is included at the bottom of his build post.

The power (Remote Survey) is intended to loosely mimic the 'Farsensing', 'Astrolocation', and 'Psi Survey' techniques available to Psions in the Trinity era (or to Psiads in the nova era) via the Psychonavigation and Telesthesia modes. I cribbed its ranges from the Telepathy and Teleport (Aberrant core book) powers, the time frames from the Transmit power (Utopia sourcebook), and the overall build of the power from Telepathy, where three separate, but closely related applications are rolled into a single power.

Anyway, no one's required to go read it unless they want to, but it is a custom power and therefore subject to review by players in Cosmos Nova.

Thank you for reading, and have a nice day. :)

He doesn't have eufiber. To borrow some terms from M&M, he's using the effects contained within eufiber, just not its descriptors. In Aurelius' case it's an 'Epidermal Diamondoid Matrix'; that's the descriptor; the effects are essentially the same as eufiber. Same thing goes for the merit.

That's one thing that Aberrant players seem to have trouble getting used to, despite the more than fifteen years that've passed since it's first publication, despite that gray sidebar on pg. 178 of the core book, and despite the section on pg. 97-98 of the Player's Guide (which even calls out the concept of looking at 'effects' while trying to explain how to customize new powers). This difficulty is understandable, though, given that the developers themselves often seemed to fail to take their own advice. In any case, I'm just using pre-existing and already-vetted mechanics to manage a custom aspect of my character. I didn't call it out because the rules surrounding eufiber are well understood and pretty thoroughly play-tested at this point, so I didn't think there was anything that needed reviewing on that front, and his 'diamondoid matrix' doesn't fall under the 'limited supply' problem that is the reason that eufiber clothing is banned.

If it's a problem, though, I'll remove it from his sheet. It's not like he needs the extra soak or quantum - it's largely there for flavor.

Edit: I just re-read this, and apparently I shouldn't post when it's late and I'm tired, because not only does this post seem a little bit rambling to me, it also seems a little unfriendly. My apologies, Fox, if that's how it came across. :blush:

All I was really trying to say was that I was re-skinning an existing background and explaining why that exempted it (IMO) from the supply issue that canon eufiber faces in Cosmos Nova.

No problem. I do still try and look in on the game as often as I can but, my time has been really really limited the last few months after selling the house and moving. On the bright side, we have found a new place that we really like, and we've got a contract on it. Have the inspections Tuesday and hoping that comes back clean. If so we're hoping to be in there by the end of the year or early Jan.

Yeah, I do still check in on the site pretty regularly, but since i'm not actively playing in any games at the moment, I tend to be mostly lurking until I see something that needs my attention or catches my eye. I miss it, but until things settle down a bit more after the move this is probably how it will be for me. Although, at some point in the not too distant future I'd like to find a game to get involved in again.

Speaking of Returns.

I think when I left a few months ago I was right pissed. I gave up. Just now I really miss this game. Or at least both IE and CN.

So I'm bringing Rebecca and Kei back, and I as soon as my Scion character is complete I might make a new character, either make Kamiko official or some other Department 0 character.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of momentum, I have the initial kindling for an idea. Part I'm doing for sure, but there are other things that I sort of wanted to ask that could turn into "something" that is a ongoing thing.

Yes I played with the idea before but I wanted to simply run a story... I think it would be better to have this more collaborative (which I think is the point behind CN anyways).

I do plan on starting off a thread with Rebecca today or tomorrow where she gets to visit the moon for a little bit to celebrate her birthday. This triggers some inspiration in her head. Simply, Rebecca sees the opportunity with her ability to warp that the potential for a research outpost on the moon would be now easily doable.

What I was thinking is that Rebecca does take with her something that Coyote my have worked on to serve as a temporary "camp" for Rebecca to relax at for the small time she was there, but Coyote might have ideas in expanding the concept for a easily constructed outpost. Mech is a warper who can do heavy construction and is a construction crew all on his own. In fact Department 0 might be called in. Naoko is a tech-wisperer, who knows her way around computers, for instance.

Yes, I know Rebecca is 14 (now) but I think once Rebecca proposes this project this could be a ongoing project that people could do things with. There isn't a plot, but more of this is a proposal for having a "thing to do" that doesn't involve a crisis or problem.

This can also be a great stepping stone for new players "recently signed" to show what they can do.

Any input?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived