Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about it and I can set it up where Kei can travel as well. Since the EU and the US are close allies, Japan would be more than happy to allow Kei to assist where needed, and Kei's position also allows for free time so she could have one of those vacations that turn into ADVENTURE! at the drop of a hat. hehe

"Why can't I have one vacation where the world doesn't get into danger?"

Mel Grimson

Personal Information:

Birth Name: Mel Grimson

Legal Status: [Redacted]

Marital Status: Single

Known Relatives: Matthew & Melicia Grimson (parents)

Concept: Irish version of the Gran Turino lead

Nature: Survivor

Physical Traits:

Weight: 160 lb.

Height: 5'8

Age (apparent age): 40

Ethnic Background: Caucasian

Nationality (place of origin): Born American, Irish all his life

Eye Color: Brown

Hair Color: Red

Handedness: Right

Appearance/Personality: Mel's ruddy skin, short red hair and menacing brown eyes combine to inspire unease and spell trouble for people. He comes off as a crass, stony old man, fighting Irish and everything.

Background:

Mel Grimson was born in Chicago, but his Irish-American parents split, Matthew Grimson taking Mel back to Ulster, and it could be said that Mel never really left there. Growing up in an angry and tense era, he was a youthful member of the IRA before he realized that it wasn't getting their lot anywhere in Northern Ireland. Sin Feinn's slow acceptance in public life convinced him to put down the gun- sorta.

Perhaps war had never really left his blood, but he joined the Foreign Legion and went through the expendable life for France. Such a life is never easy on the soul, and when Mel returned after nearly three decades of experience, he couldn't really get on well with the neighbors, a now largely ethnic Asian neighborhood, nor with his mother and half-siblings from Melicia's remarriage.

Even an romance with a woman he thought could understand him, Cecilia, failed when she tragically died from Lyme disease she never knew she had. Mel just was lonely in a peacetime place, and life was nothing like he could deal with. Then, the arrival of powered refugees from another dimension led to trouble, when a Terat nova began causing havoc across the neighborhood.

Even uneasy with his neighbors as he was, Mel dared to go out with his old rifle to shoot the bastard. Two in the head, glowing blue-fire rounds that punched through Goldsphere's force fields, and to Mel's amazement, he'd recovered a decade of his life. The UK hopped onto him immediately, giving him a re-forged opportunity to do good in the way he knew best.

May I make a suggestion, can we move the start date to current date, 2012 for the inaugural posts? We could have N-day at or about 2005 or the same time as canon and still have time for our characters to get their feet wet.

Since we don't have the same factions, everything is open to consideration.

Also since there are so few Novas, we've not diverged the course of world events like Novas did in canon. There would probably be like what.... 80 native novas to twice the number of refugees? Not as much to cause a stir in the long run.

If anything the contention between Natives and Refugees would be an interesting plot hook.

Point being is outside of having a few gifts from the other universe these refugees came from, the times are similar to day.We might be a year or two ahead on tech and that is accelerating, and politics might be starting to get influenced by the nova phenomenon, but outside of that we should be looked at as a useful novelty ATM.

Ha! I miss Dec/Red. Welcome to both of you guys.

As you can tell we are still fleshing things out here so feel free to add your input. One of the things about this setting is that anyone can step in and run a story or a scene, so if you have any ideas please share.

I'm working on more material for Japan in a bit. That's why I asked about moving the start date to the real-time date when the first story in CN begins. That way we can use RL history as the backdrop, with early 1999 being the arrival of the refugees and N-Day coming a bit afterward. But because Novas are so rare, they've not become a major player in world events at all up to the starting point.

We are literally becoming "Canon" characters in this story.

I'm fine with the current day. also I'd propose no more than 50 refugees, though I'd see them having come over less than 5 years in the past. Novas can do quite alot in 5 years, even if they're not world shatteringly powerful

Declan, want to bring Kyria along if you're 'porting over Declan from SGU?

Edit - I know that it's not a direct 'port, but I was thinking of bringing in the same basic kind of character and having background ties to Declan. Catch me in chat or PM if you're up for it. Or to say no.

:)

OK, fair enough.

Then, however, in the spirit of the setting, custom powers and suites that perform MUCH better than the suites in the core book should be out too.

If we are going to keep to a set of rules, we should really keep to that set of rules.

... OR ...

Characters can buy stuff that works in other IE worlds, but all that other stuff doesn't work in universes with the Cosmos physics.

Well technically that is a movement power. I have seen no complaints. As long as Propel makes you run faster, fly, or swim faster... hypermovement should influence when you use propel. It makes sense. And usually if something makes sense, it works like it should.

OK, fair enough.

Then, however, in the spirit of the setting, custom powers and suites that perform MUCH better than the suites in the core book should be out too.

If we are going to keep to a set of rules, we should really keep to that set of rules.

... OR ...

Characters can buy stuff that works in other IE worlds, but all that other stuff doesn't work in universes with the Cosmos physics.

We should remember the old phrase "Keep it simple, stupid!". The Companion is Very scarce for quality material. I have seen very few things in it of merit, but there is a boatload that isn't cool or sheer fan-wank. I think we need to carefully review what is requested, but overall accept suggestions or try to make ideas work. I think the core books and the 3 mega attribute books are fine, but we should keep an open mind with the companion. If people have ideas we should be open to the suggestion even though it isn't "in the book".

Let's not be too zealous with this.

Grr.... just typed a post and hit a miss key and it went away! *grumbles*

So I was saying that I didn't have a chance to get online at all yesterday... work was very busy and then I wrecked the car on the way home. I hurt my knee a little, but I'm fine, the car on the other hand, not so much. It will be a very close thing on whether insurance decides to total it or not.

So I see that a couple people have decided not to play, that sucks. I would really love to see Dec/Red in action again. I understand that there were some disagreements... talk to me people, we can work something out.

While we sorted things last night for the most part, they've decided not to participate. I have personally invited them to return whenever, and that door is open. And it still is.

As for happier news... Did you see my updated background/profile? I should have stats soon, and I will post Kei into the characters board.

Finally I hope things work out with the car and the accident. Thank god for airbags, right? ^_^

I think pretty much they are sorted. Although I would love to set up a meeting of the Justice League in chat (Fox, Long, Varro, Myself, and Carver if she's still in) and sort out any last minute details. But I am fairly confident now with the stuff that is known to build with it.

If you got questions I am in chat right now and I can answer questions based on what I know of things.

Archived