Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - Game Proposal: The Magisterium

Dawn OOC

Name: Mary (F106)

Concept: Matter Creation/Destruction

History: Mary is the result of an early mutant breeding program that was since discontinued. Her parents were both mutants under the control of the United States National Security Administration, as is Mary herself. She's had no contact with them, having been raised in isolation with only monitored contact with project researchers. She inhabits a small suite of rooms...about the size of a studio apartment, that is a bit spartan in decor but not uncomfortable. She is provided only with books that are carefully vetted, and allowed to listen to approved music...and has recently been allowed to view television programs that pass muster. The strictly controlled access to information and contact is a result of her unique and baffling powers. Mary believes that she is limited this way because of a life-threatening genetic condition for which there is no cure. The collar that has kytone injectors ready in case of an emergency she believes to be a life-support mechanism that will inject her with a medicine if something goes wrong with her room. She believes these things because that's what she's been told all her life, by people she trusts...even loves.

Despite the isolation, Mary has a powerful and active mind. She constantly asks for more to read, more to keep her occupied, giving her handlers a dilemma. The more she knows, the more dangerous she becomes. Yet, also the more useful. And of course, no one wants to see her get too bored and start experimenting. Her interest in animals was considered harmless enough, since she couldn't make living creatures. That led to a biology kick they were less comfortable with, but she was still allowed to learn the basics of the human body, and they even showed her some first aid techniques. Beyond that, there was simply what she could learn from an endless series of works of classical literature and fiction...which was probably more than her handlers really realized since Mary didn't forget what she'd read or seen. Her brain seemed wired to handle immense volumes of information...which made sense when one realized she could 'read' matter itself on an atomic level, holding it all in her head as she deconstructed and reconstructed it.

Despite being human in appearance and pretty, there were no conjugals for her...such contact was expressly forbidden. Simply put, the only way to keep her from using her powers also made her useless to them. If she became antagonistic; if they lost her cooperation, she was no better than dead to them. Therefore, control was kept by strictly controlling her environment, her knowledge, and her emotions via psychological principles and deft falsehoods. As a result, Mary's experiences at the hands of her human captors was not one of constant horror and physical abuse...but oppression was oppression, however gilded the cage.

As she got older and more independent, things started becoming more stressful. She started noticing that her handlers often seemed nervous when telling her things, as if they weren't being honest. She started wondering if the whole story about her needing to be in this apartment, day after day...and wear the collar that contained 'life saving drugs' in case of an emergency was actually true. Mary knew she was different than them...knew her ability to make things was something they didn't have and were both fascinated by and afraid of. She didn't know about other mutants, or anything else about the outside world that she hadn't gleaned from her approved reading list. But she did know there WAS a world outside her door, and that she wanted to see it.

Power Theme: The creation of matter in theoretically any configuration, or the destruction of the same. This is not matter/energy conversion...matter is created from nothingness, and the destruction of matter does not result in any release of energy. Even 'worse,' is that the destruction can even be reversed...she can seamlessly recreate anything she has destroyed. This extends even to living things, making her destruction attacks, in some ways, 'non-lethal.' Mary cannot currently create living matter, though she can create organic matter that is not alive. Her ability to destroy matter is also more limited against living beings, but still effective. Matter she creates is created at ambient energy levels...she can create water, but not boiling water, or ice, unless it's very hot or very cold in the immediate environment.

Personality: Mary is a kind person, but can be distant emotionally. Very sensitive to the moods and feelings of others, she's known for some time that none of the people she sees...even the nice ones...really love or even like her especially. She blames this on her powers, leading her to dislike them and to an extent even herself. She takes refuge from these bad feelings by being intellectual, trying not to feel at all...though in reality this never really works for her. Because of this, she often seems unstable, whipsawing from almost robotic lack of affect to melodramatically overstated emotional reactions. Mary is hungry...hungry for emotional connection, hungry for knowledge about the world and the things in it, hungry for friends, hungry for meaning and purpose.

Phsyical Mutation: None visible. Whatever grants her these powers has not marked her body...though there are subconscious manifestations that can be visible. She tends to instinctively create objects to block or cushion physical blows as they come at her, for example...and she subconsciously destroys substances in her body that are harming her. Beyond this, there's nothing to mark her as mutant except her own DNA.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A backup idea slash alternate submission. It's a bit wonky, so it may not fit at all, but if it does I'll work up the sheet...

Name: Carter Linwood

Rating: Prometheus Class

Powers: Cyberkinesis, Increased technical aptitude, digital mental projection

Nationality: American

Height: 5' 7", cybernetic body 6'

Weight: 135 lbs, cybernetic body 300 lbs.

History: Carter Linwood grew up with a normal life, his natural technical aptitude seemed only the gift of a great mind and his cyberkinetic powers didn't show themselves until he was older. At eight he was building his own computers from parts. At ten he was designing his own chips and boards. At fourteen he entered the internet for the first time, projecting his mind out of his body and into the network as a digitized projection.

For two years he had free reign of the internet, a digital being capable to manipulation machines and software alike as easily as other children played sports. The government was tracking him however, slowly building up records of router addresses, domain IDs, and forum posts until they finally connected the dots. He was captured and incarcerated, his parents, having been ignorant of their child's abilities, succeeded in plea bargaining to stay out of prison.

For the next four years Carter was tested at an ultra secure facility, one that was far off grid. Once his handlers were certain of his abilities he was offered a choice, work for them and be allowed to roam the net again, or be kept in the lowest tech prison they could build and maintain.

Two more years passed as Carter engaged in operations within the internet. Every day he planted another seed, or picked up another bit of data, and slow he planned his escape. He was adding subtle layers of code into the software and firmware updates that vendors used on the security systems for government facilities, gathering information to blackmail (via false IDs) guards and scientists, and generally building an escape plan that was fool proof.

Fool proof did no good when he returned one day to find himself in a close loop network without access to his body. He was informed via the network's only terminal that his body was now on indefinite lockdown, that he would no longer be allowed access to it and that he would continue to do the jobs they laid out for him.

Forced as he was he cooperate he didn't give up his efforts to escape. Carter put his preternatural technical ability to work designing a machine that could replace his body, with a computer at its core that could store his digitalized mind. It took four more years to design the tech, to have it built, to buy companies to buy the machines to build the body in bits and pieces, smaller parts built into larger parts built into sub-assemblies and eventually a completed cybernetic/robotic body capable of housing his mind and allowing him to be free.

Personality: Carter is a gifted young man who resents the treatment that his digital espionage got him. While incarcerated he learned everything he could about his captors and found out the truth. His own government was hiding the truth about others like him, along with every other government in the world. His people would relegated to little more than slaves and animals. He works now to free himself and then free others like him, and eventually to blow back the covers and reveal the truth to the world, not just the truth about mutants but the truth of their treatment. He believes (perhaps optimistically) that once the public knows the truth that things will change for the better.

Tell: Carter's eyes no longer look human, his irises glow electric blue in a the center of a green and gold circuit board pattern that replaces the normal white. Only his pupils remain unchanged. Of course his cybernetic body is quite obviously not human, and only poor lighting plus loose fully covering clothing can disguise that.

So Mutant gladiatorial games or a "fight club" probably wouldn't exist?

Not publically. The soldiers minding the zoos had a lot more freedom than was healthy for the mutants at times. They could force the mutants to fight one another. Mutants might have had their own secret sparring matches, if they were so inclined. Sometimes, the brass found out and shut them down before too much damage was done, but these are a possibility in the background.

Character Update

Name: Sonora Isolde Moreau

Code Name: Mirage

Nationality: French

serenity.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Powers

Empathy - Can Kill, Control, Or Heal by taking the wounds of others onto herself.. knows if she's being lied too and senses emotions in her vicinity

Illusion - Can Create Illusions that cover all senses, turn invisible, become intangible (somehow turning her very self into an illusion), and actually create or destroy light

Possesses near Superhuman degree of Presence and Awareness

Special: Generally viewed as some strange interaction of her illusion and the healing aspect empathy powers has slowed her aging to almost nothing and restores her to life even if killed.. though the process is very slow, but her body doesn't decay at all in such a situation.

Her powers over illusion and emotion ended up having her classed as a Prometheus Class Mutant, but Sonora almost seems to push the edges of that envelope, her illusion power actually seems to be able to be able to affect reality with regards to herself.. which makes some of those studying her wonder how much of it is really illusion and how much is actually a form of psychokinetic control over reality. What is more, her empathic powers are actually strong enough to kill, besides control or heal, this extreme versatility of her powers has her on the verge of being considered Gorgon class..

History

Sonora's mother had a very minor capability, to know when someone was lying, her father had a minor level of the illusion power she possesses, only able to change the colors of things. Both of them were in essence, Icarus class mutants, though her grandparents were more powerful mutants involved in world war II, for some reason their children didn't have much in the way of powers.. they were filed and mostly forgotten, until their daughters 9th year, where she demonstrated extremely powerful empathic and illusion abilities, that her father couldn't hide, and was snatched up by the French Government.

In the early years she was treated with a degree of kindness and consideration, as a valuable asset of the french government, though they avoided combat and agressive training for her, and her capabilities dangerous enough that she had to be coded. She was and is still often used in matters where interrogations or investigations are going on, as well as infiltration, but she completely lacks combat training (this was a deliberate choice on the government part, to keep her more dependent, and because her powers scare them somewhat). For a

When she was about 19 years old, however she was enrolled in a program that was supposed to increase the various controls over mutants, but it was also, unknown to certain superiors, an experiment in mixing Ketone with sexual drugs and controls, it was shut down about 8 months later, when coincidentally, after the leader of the project and several of his aids killed each other. There was some suspicion that the illusion creating, mind controlling empath was responsible for this murder/suicide of sorts, but when the investigators watched taps of some of the things the mutants in this program were forced to do, the matter was closed. (Several investigators went to far to say if she had, she'd done the human race a favor)

However, from that day forward, Sonora has an edge of ruthlessness to her that she hadn't displayed before and a strong hatred for the abuses resulting from the enslavement of mutants.

Government Control

Sonora has been used for a number of different purposes, from aiding the french foreign legion, to working with spies, to infiltration and exposing threats to the government, her illusion and empathy powers allowing her to pretend to be others for short periods of time (she can't maintain the effect too long those). She's also been distrusted, often drugged and used for other, less savory purposes by her handlers, as part of their controlling her, for one period of her life.. she's very aware of how a person can be abused on several levels, as she's experienced those forms of abuse, with use of drugs, and physical, emotional and sexual abuse, though emotional abuse has repeatably failed against her, due to her empathic abilities. (See above for further details)

Personality

The strongest aspect of her personality is sadness and to a bit anger, Sonora hates slavery and the fact that her people are enslaved, hates that she herself is enslaved, but her emphatic capabilities allow her to understand that it's more about fear then anything else, though there are plenty of folks who hate mutants as well, and she is saddened by that, but understands a measure of the inevitability of it. Despite that, Sonora is a compassionate woman to those who are are weak or downtrodden, but she has little compassion for folks in positions of power, especially those who abuse that power, which means those within her government who have enslaved her and her fellow mutates. She has gained an edge of ruthlessness with regards to those who abuse their power.

Complications

Mutation: Green Hair - Though she can use her illusion powers to disguise this, the moment her concentration lapses, she loses that effect and the color of her hair reestablishes itself.

Mutation: Empathic Projections - When her mind is not focused on controlling her powers, she projects obvious illusions around her in a manner that leaves little doubt as the nature of her emotion (as per the picture above), making it really hard to hide her emotionally state unless she concentrates.

Lingering Emotional Effects: Using her Emotional Powers on anyone (healing, control or someone who manages to survive an empathic blast) can produce unwanted and linger emotional affects, she has no control over this, though they tend to be positive for those healed or negative for those controlled, they are often obsessive and more then she would want. (Up to ST here)

Sense of Justice: Has a strong sense of right and wrong, hates the way that mutants are enslaved and used by their goverments, sees it a gross miscarriage of justice, but will not harm those she considers innocent... though her experiences has also injected a degree of ruthlessness into her world view.

Jim, I like the character. I like Travis better, but then I'm biased. :D

Krul, the changes seem to fit the setting better.

Jordan, let me know if you want to switch out Dog.

Alright, more setting information is up. Considering how damned long coming up with those names took me, I welcome suggestions. However, I think I have named the countries for all of the PCs and NPCs I have thus far. If I missed one, please let me know.

Another note: for those of you who have submitted and are wondering what the hell is holding me up, its honestly the fact that I spend about 11 hours a day either at work with 20 minutes of internet access (if I plan my lunch right) or driving from work. HOWEVER!!! Do not despair, for I'm going to be off for five days starting Thursday. While part of that time I will be a sex convention, part of that will be counting dots on sheets. People will start to see feedback from me on their complete submissions at that time. :)

Jim, I like the character. I like Travis better, but then I'm biased. :D

Krul, the changes seem to fit the setting better.

Jordan, let me know if you want to switch out Dog.

Alright, more setting information is up. Considering how damned long coming up with those names took me, I welcome suggestions. However, I think I have named the countries for all of the PCs and NPCs I have thus far. If I missed one, please let me know.

You missed Italy. :)

Pardon me ma'am is that a Freudian Slip you're wearing? ;)

It is not. :D Conflation is an adults-only con. Last year, I learned how to safely tie someone up so that I didn't hurt them.

You missed Italy. :)

BUGGER! FUCK! Alright. I'll add it by this time tomorrow.

MDCJ

(Mutant Defense Center Jacket)

LamiaFilePicture.jpg
Name: Lamia

Code Name: nicknamed Eve by some zookeepers, Lilith by those with better Latin

Nationality: Currently American, original unknown

Age: Unknown, appears in her twenties and medical tests ballpark her age in her early twenties.

Mutant Qualities:

The subject has regenerative abilities, though they are slower than has been observed in other mutant subjects. Testing of the speed of her regenerative capabilities also led to the verification of her ability to resurrect herself from the dead.

The subject is to be kept separated from other mutants and to minimize personal contact. Tested physicals all range well above standard human capabilities, and observed social and mental traits suggest similar ranges though formal testing never corroborated those observations. Duplicity on the part of the subject is suspected; subject is compliant and pleasant but is profiled as a potential fraternization and Tiffany threat. Guard is to be rotated on a weekly basis and the subject's medical and study team are to be kept under weekly psychological evaluation protocols.

Classification: Prometheus.

Subject History:

The subject was acquired by American Allied forces in Germany at the end of World War II. Under the Mutant Accords she was declared a spoil of war, along with all of the mutants captured by Allied forces. Mutants with Allied nationalities were repatriated to their country of origin, while "free range" mutants were declared the responsibility of whichever country currently had custody of them.

Due to the subjects long-term history, the subject has shown claustrophobic reactions when placed in single-room or windowless confinement.

Barcode: 00000000000

Chip Type and Status: GPS and Neural Neutralizer, replaced and re-positioned weekly. Implanted and active.

Physical files: Destroyed.

Continuation of file requires Alpha clearance.

Just put this together for my own purposes, trying to get a feel for the various pc's that may be involved.. might be useful for Dawn, generally, characters concepts submitted, what powers, and what country is responsible for them at the moment, if I'm wrong with any of them let me know.. but I think this is generally correct.

Idris Vaughan - Diamond Claws, heightend Reflexes, Cat-like Senses and Fur able to stop a bullet - MI-7 (Britain)

Fenris - Regeration, Some Shapechanging, Superior physical capabilities - ECD (Ekstra-Cheloveka Direktsiya) (Russian)

Mirage (Sonora Isolde Moreau) - Empathy & Illusion, weak regeneration, superior Awareness and Presence - Nationale Française Mutant Défense (NFMD) (France)

Jim M34 (Born James Wilson) - Superior Intelligence, Temporal Manipulative Abilities - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Jeremy Noctis (Formerly Jeremy Grayson) - Bio-Chemical capabilites - Italy (no name yet for the division)

Travis Kincaid - Telekinesis, Invulerability - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Dog - Extra Arms, Hard Light Creation, superior combatant - Commission on Mutant Defense (CMD) - Canada

Grav - Gravity control powers - Germany (no name for division yet)

Mary - Matter Creation/Destruction - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Lamia - Regeneration, Superior Attributes, others possible - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Carter Linwood - Machine Body, digital projection, superior intelligence - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Krul, thanks for pulling that together. I had missed Italy, and I'll need to add it to the list.

Just as a note, there is more slang added to the list:

Sweet Tea - military slang for Tethorzine that has been doctored specifically to a mutant. "Give him his sweet tea already, will ya?" See Tethorzine.

Tea - military slang for Tethorzine. Also a verb, ie, "giving a mutant his tea." Sometimes called Sweet Tea. See Tethorzine.

Tethorzine - a gasous chemical that can nullify a mutant's power. It is still experimental and must be tailored to the mutant it is intended to subdue to be effective. See Tea, Sweet Tea.

Okay here's a question. If mutants are a big secret being kept from the world, would all these organizations really use the term "Mutant" in their titles, of would they use for more benign terms? It just seems off to me.

Another issue; with the history. While I understand The effect of HIV/AIDS had in polarizing the gay community in the 80's the gay rights movement was in full swing long before that. In fact many attribute the Stonewall Riots in 1969 as the beginning of the visible gay rights movement (even though peaceful protests had happened before that event). Then there is the case of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California who was assassinated in 1978. Neither of these events had anything to do with the HIV/AIDS movement yet were instrumental in bringing attention to the cause of Gay Rights. Now I appreciate that without the HIV/AIDS movement, the gay rights movement might not be where it is today, but there is also a good possibility that it could be further along, or perhaps the country's reaction to homosexuality would not be as bad as there isn't "AIDS" to point at and blame on the gays. I guess I just feel that saying that "there is no AIDS so the gay rights movement didn't happen" feels like a major over-simplification.

Sorry if I am getting all preachy and ranting, but it's a subject close to home as many of you may know. :)

Another issue; with the history. While I understand The effect of HIV/AIDS had in polarizing the gay community in the 80's the gay rights movement was in full swing long before that. In fact many attribute the Stonewall Riots in 1969 as the beginning of the visible gay rights movement (even though peaceful protests had happened before that event). Then there is the case of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California who was assassinated in 1978. Neither of these events had anything to do with the HIV/AIDS movement yet were instrumental in bringing attention to the cause of Gay Rights. Now I appreciate that without the HIV/AIDS movement, the gay rights movement might not be where it is today, but there is also a good possibility that it could be further along, or perhaps the country's reaction to homosexuality would not be as bad as there isn't "AIDS" to point at and blame on the gays. I guess I just feel that saying that "there is no AIDS so the gay rights movement didn't happen" feels like a major over-simplification.

Sorry if I am getting all preachy and ranting, but it's a subject close to home as many of you may know. :)

I'm aware of the reason it's close to you, and if you know my personal history, you know I have no stones to throw. It is an oversimplification and wasn't meant to be offensive at all. Basically, I wanted to have social stuff not be as advanced and at 3 in the morning, gay rights and race rights were the first things that came to my brain. And in my part, my history on the gay rights movement isn't perfect. If you have an alterative, I'd be happy to hear it, but this world will not be any friendlier to humans it considers outsiders than to the true Others.

I imagine those are the actual names of the agencies for those in the know.. and likely on paper just appear with their acronims.. MCD.. MI-7.. NFMD

without explaining what they mean, though those 'in the know' would be aware of it.

Yes, that's exactly the reason why. These government agencies don't exist officially. All countries recieve funding from DEHA to manage their mutant programs so these groups can stay off the public records.

As promised, I have started to go over the submissions. Please note, for a complete submission, I need the background and the numbers. I know that people's backgrounds went up here but until we have a character forum, those sheets are going to be the easiest place for me to find the character details. Please don't make me grumpy by forcing me go through three pages of OOC chatter to find your mother's name. ;)

I'm aware of the reason it's close to you, and if you know my personal history, you know I have no stones to throw. It is an oversimplification and wasn't meant to be offensive at all. Basically, I wanted to have social stuff not be as advanced and at 3 in the morning, gay rights and race rights were the first things that came to my brain. And in my part, my history on the gay rights movement isn't perfect. If you have an alterative, I'd be happy to hear it, but this world will not be any friendlier to humans it considers outsiders than to the true Others.

No real offense was taken Dawn and I didn't mean to get uptight about it. It just struck me in a funny way and I wouldn't have been comfortable not saying something. I am fine with the overall level of social awareness in the world being behind ours and I am just going to assume that it is that way for a multitude of reasons. :)

Edit: Oh, I've put Dog's background into my PM with his stats.

Guys, I have a lot of background material on this world in my head, and I'll get it all down in time. However, if you would like to request that I work on specific topics first, I'd be happy to work on what is most interesting to you about your world. Just let me know where to start, ok? Throw out topics and I'll work on the one with the most requests and go from there.

Because I'm a sucker for you guys, I'm trying to fit as many people into the starting chapter as I can. Yes, I know I said six. Like I said, sucker.

If I was to start today, I'd have five ready to go. Here's the layout:

Approved/fully completed:

Idris Vaughan - Diamond Claws, heightend Reflexes, Cat-like Senses and Fur able to stop a bullet - MI-7 (Britain)

Fenris - Regeration, Some Shapechanging, Superior physical capabilities - ECD (Ekstra-Cheloveka Direktsiya) (Russian)

Mirage (Sonora Isolde Moreau) - Empathy & Illusion, weak regeneration, superior Awareness and Presence - Nationale Française Mutant Défense (NFMD) (France)

Jeremy Noctis (Formerly Jeremy Grayson) - Bio-Chemical capabilites - Italy (no name yet for the division)

Travis Kincaid - Telekinesis, Invulerability - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

In Approval Progress:

Dog - Extra Arms, Hard Light Creation, superior combatant - Commission on Mutant Defense (CMD) - Canada

Mary - Matter Creation/Destruction - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Pending Approval (I haven't had a chance to look yet):

Lamia - Regeneration, Superior Attributes, others possible - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

Gold - Killer Instinct - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA) ??

Incomplete/Holding:

Grav - Gravity control powers - Germany (no name for division yet)

Rebekka - Telepath - Division of Resident Mutants (DRM) (South Africa)

Jim M34 (Born James Wilson) - under revision

Edward Mansfield - temporal manipulator - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)??

Jaunt - teleporter - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)??

Second Round:

Carter Linwood - Machine Body, digital projection, superior intelligence - Mutant Defense Center (MDC) (USA)

So what's this mean? Right now it means that the 9 that are approved, pending or in progress are most likely to make the first cut. Four of you within the US makes it easier. The other five will be lumped together into two groups somehow, likely Idris and Dog, and Fenris and Mirage and Jer.

Guys, I have a lot of background material on this world in my head, and I'll get it all down in time. However, if you would like to request that I work on specific topics first, I'd be happy to work on what is most interesting to you about your world. Just let me know where to start, ok? Throw out topics and I'll work on the one with the most requests and go from there.

Seeing as I've been on ice for the past 5 years I have no questions at the moment.

Archived