[Seventh Sea] The Free Traders of the Huld

fishey_me

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You're a doctor?" The young man replies, his eyes lighting up. "No ship has ever turned one away in my lifetime. What's your name, sir? I am Erik, son of Anvindr who captains this vessel."

Erik, by all accounts, is more congenial than Alreck.

Nanna watches Sebastian scamper off and then chortles softly to himself.

"Zo you are looking vor a docktor, all ze ships Ich applied vor already hast a docktor or could not avord mir" Gustave explains as he approaches the ship.

"Ach! How voolish am Ich, itz only proper to give mine name since you gave mir yours! Mine name ist Gustave, Gustave Allegro Sie Docktor!" as Gustave proudly explains. By this time Gustave is at the gangplank and out of the way of people loading the ship.

"Mine services are not cheap, but Ich am villing to vork a deal viff thee Captain Anvindr" as Gustave grins. As Gustave get closer to the ship the more he feels that this is the correct path to take.

[[i am sorry but could you tell me what country Erik, Alreck, Anvindr, and Nanna are from if it's apparent? It would seem proper to reflect that in some inner dialog and help me with visualization.]]

[[They're Vendel/Vesten. Think Scandinavia for a real world analogue, Noway/Sweden/Denmark. You're actually in Vendel lands at the moment.]]

"Your trade is specialized and respected, Herr Doctor. We pay surgeons and carpenters 25 Guilders a month." This is a standard rate. Better than most sailors will ever see and steady, but not quite as lucrative as a private practice would be.

Fernando was digging through his footlocker for the appropriate string when he heard the door to the gundeck open. Fernando looked up to see the Montaigne youth from before moving with some urgency. A deep stirring filled Fernando to punch the youth, but he resisted. On board a ship in a foreign land there was no need to stir up national rivalries and besides the youth had a mischievous look to him, reminding Fernando of his cousin Miguel. He stood up, moved over to the beardless youth and offered a hand of greeting.

"I am Fernando Salazar, and as I'm sure others have said, welcome aboard the Huld."

"Bah, better then vhat Ich vas offered thus var. Ich understand that du priviest mir 'Room und Board' im this payment? Richtig?"1 asks Gustave.

"If zo, then you hast a docktor!"2 Gustave energetically asks.

[[Not clear if I am speaking with the captain or Erik but I am assuming it the captain that replied with the offer.]]

[[it was Erik. The captain is still talking to Sven.]]

"Oh, no, Herr Doctor, you'll have to hop in a rowboat every afternoon, and head back to your own home every night, and be back by sunrise the next day..." After a pause, Erik cannot keep a straight face and laughs heartily. "Of course you'll have board on this ship! Food, too. You'll put a hammock up in the sickbay and you'll eat in the galley the same fine cuisine as the rest of us. Talk to Nanna," he says, pointing at the woman on the dock. "She'll show you where to go."

Sven grasps Captain Avindr's forearm firmly. "Whether I'm to join your crew appears to be up to you, Captain. As I told your sons, I am no master, but I have some skill with the runes; enough, at least, to stir up the winds or calm them down for a few hours. I also know my way around a ship and am happy to help with other chores and the defense of the ship when my other skills aren't needed."

I would have gone ahead and included a demonstration, but I wasn't certain if you wanted me to roll for this, or how much effect one shift in weather represents, as the chart for that is in the DMG. The rules for calming or inciting weather at my level are one shift at TN 10, plus one shift per raise for a time period of one hour plus one hour per raise in a radius of one mile plus one mile per raise, with each raise having to be dedicated to one of those three aspects. The difficulty is the same for making the weather better or worse.

Sebastian shrugs, "I play a little lute and sing a tune now and again. I've wanted to pick up the Castillian guitar but just never had the chance."

Sebastian dumps his belongs into an available footlocker and sets his lute case behind it. Pulling out a plain set of clothing, he quickly changes and throws on a pair of work boots and a plain but clean cloak. Grabbing his gloves, he tosses an inquisitive glance at Fernando and indicates the few crew members loading the ship. "Talk while we work?"

"Have you any runes incribed?" Anvindr asks. "I've seen their like before, and while in port, we need no new winds." He smiles gently. "The farmers to the east need the rain that's blowing in. But if I could see your runes or if you could draw one up, that would settle my... Curiosity." Despite his son's reticence, Anvindr seems welcoming of Sven's skills, permitting, of course, that they are real. One gets the sense that he is being appropriately courteous while still somewhat cautious. One does not offend a sorcerer by doubting his power, but a captain must be certain of his crewmen's abilities.

"Unfortunately, the ability to carve a rune so any can call it takes more years of study than I've yet had; I could carve the shape of a rune easily enough, or even brand the shape onto my flesh, but it would have no meaning as I can't bind the power to something so fully, yet. There's a reason that inscribed items are so rare and valuable." He swings a pack off of his back and digs out a book, ink, and a brush made from his own hair. None of these were really necessary, as he could draw a rune just as easily in the dirt, but he had been taught to always treat the runes with respect if he had the time. Besides, a little showmanship never hurt when trying to impress. Opening the book, he revealed that it was just a series of blank pages glued to the binding, a small space at the front showing where some pages had been removed as they were used.

He thinks of what his teacher taught him. 'Always draw a rune with the fewest strokes possible. Start at the top left and let your stokes flow forth as water rolling down the side of a mountain, swift and sure, but not so rushed that the your rune breaks apart like a waterfall breaking into spray. Hold as much of the meaning of the rune as you can in your head and heart, then let the power of the gods flow through that meaning, through your brush, and into the rune. Shape the energy and it will guide your hand so it can form no image but the true shape of the rune.'

He dips the brush in the ink, then, with a flourish, draws a rune. "So you can tell the difference, first, a rune I have not mastered, Kjot*." Drawing a second rune, he intoned, "Storsaed." While there was no visible difference in the quality of the writing, there was a distinct echo of power to his voice. Even without truly invoking the rune, Captain Avindr could almost swear he heard the whispering of the gods speaking with him. "I also know Stens, Host, and Nod," he finishes, drawing them as well. He keeps to himself his knowledge of Uvitenhet, Grunselos, and Fornuft until he learned if this man was trustworthy. Few skjaeren knew that many runes at his age, so the small number wouldn't raise any suspicions, and most people looking to hire mystery and gateway masters weren't worthy of the power of the runes. Sven rips out the page he just wrote on and hands it to the captain. "For your records. Just to be clear, at my current level of skill I can only manage to hold a weather rune for a few hours, less if you want the weather changed more. So, do I pass your test?"

*Kjot: Flesh, Storsaed: Greatness; Stens: Calm; Host: Plenty; Nod: Intensity;; Uvitenhet: Mystery; Grunselos: Unbound; Fornuft: Gateway

Sebastian reaches the boxes and begins traversing the boarding planks carrying some of the larger, two-man boxes with Fernando. He grins broadly at Fernando's question. "The ladies love me, their fathers... not so much. I might have offended several of them with a few songs I wrote, but the offense was a response in kind. If the tune was catchy enough for it to spread through the town, ho is that my fault?"

Gustave's face turns into a angry scowl at the jape. Then a slow creeping smile comes to his face that forms into the most disturbing grin.

In the most kindest of voice his thick accent could allow Gustave says "Ach, Ich zee vhat joo did thare, joo maken vunny yoke..." as Gustave walks up to Erik with his personal handbag and his Doctors bag(Has bandages and tools of the trade) in both hands. "Allow mir too tell joo a yoke az vell mine fruind." as Gustave approaches with a grin that would make a grown man cringe. Once Gustave get close enough to talk in a hushed tone he says "Ever hair ov ze dizeaze called..." as Gustave talks about the most horrific disease know to him in the most graphic of natures that would make the hardest of men(or woman) vomit from the mere though of, all the while keeping a strait face and well practiced demeanor from his university days. "Und joo vind that yoke vunny? No? Vell Ich don't vind it vunny but Ich vind joor expression very vunny!" as Gustave laughs.

"Vell young Erik, vare ist joor Nanna zo Ich could vind mine "Room und Board?"

[[i hope I did not take to much liberty with the NPC's but I had to show that Gustaves humor is strange to people who don't know him as well. Jokes are not foreign to him, and would of let the jape pass and laugh a bit if he was in a bit of a better mood.]]

[[Edit: I feel this last post was a bit snarky and immature for a 35 year old Eisen Doctor and I did not feel he conveyed his humor and mentality right. Going to repost a better more flavorful retort of some sort. Thanks]]

[[Edit2: See my new post(#61) for response]]

Freyja sighs as she watches cargo being loaded, knowing she will be inventorying it soon. She would talk to Nanna for next time, so that she could count it as it was being loaded. Trying to find everything after it had been moved would be interesting. She could only hope things would be easy to find.

[[Edit: I feel this last post was a bit snarky and immature for a 35 year old Eisen Doctor and I did not feel he conveyed his humor and mentality right. Going to repost a better more flavorful retort of some sort. Thanks]]

[[i guess it's good I hadn't replied yet.]]

Anvindr nods approvingly at Sven's inscriptions. "You've skill, lad. The Huld pays skilled professionals 25 Guilders a month, or their weight in gold, if the coin does not suit your preference. We've never had a skjaeren on the Huld, so we've no private quarters for you, unless you'd like to share a cabin with one of my sons or the doctor I hear Erik speaking to." He nods at the young man talking to the somewhat older Eisen man. "The boys don't take up much space. Erik's a friendly sort, but Alreck doesn't snore." He chuckles to himself.

"If you'd rather, of course, you can share the gun deck with the sailors. They tend to be a friendly lot. Come on, my wife will help you set up your hammock somewhere. I've got to lay eyes on the new crewmen."

He leads Sven to the gangplank and gestures at Nanna before trumping across onto the deck of the Huld. He stops and introduces himself to any unfamiliar man he sees along the way, sizing them up. He stops a short distance from Freyja, doing something of a double take at her. "Seeing a lover or a brother off, lass?" He asks. "Or maybe owing one a beating before he leaves? You aren't one of Sebastian's lasses, are you?"

Sebastian puts his end of the box down in time with Fernando then heads back for another. "Well, they got together and threw me in prison on some trumped up charge. But that's an involved story for another time. How do you know of angered fathers? Angered a few in your time?"

Gustave is not the one to tolerate fools and especially does not like being made like a fool in front of other people. A scowl forms on Gustave's face and responds "Ach! Du hope better Ich not az dumpf az you make mir...". Gustave scowl softens only a little bit, "Alber, laughter ist zee bessen medicine, und Ich vould rather hast ze vittee patient, vin ah voolish patient."2 Gustave continues.

Gustave walks up to Erik with his personal handbag and his Doctors bag(Has bandages and tools of the trade) a bag in each hand.

"Vell young Erik, vare ist joor Nanna zo Ich could vind minen "Room und Board?"

2(Although, laughter is the best medicine, and I would rather have a witty patient, then a foolish patient.)

Erik awkwardly looks at the bag and kit, somewhat perplexed and not used to having to carry bags for crewmates. He points over at the rather round woman who seems to be watching them. "She's there. She'll set you up. Sorry if I offended you, ah... It was just a joke." His grin is somewhat lopsided, and he turns and heads for the deck.

Gustave walks up to Nanna and greets her in the traditional noble Vendel way in attempt of flattery. "Ah, fräulein Nanna ist za pleasure zo meet joo" as Gustave finishes his greeting.

"Ze boys zaid joo could zhow mir "Room und Board", but Ich moost meet zor Captian ov ze ship. Ich vould like zo meet zee mann vho Ich be vorking vor."

Gustave looks back over to the two lads who have his luggage and frowns disapprovingly. "Zee lads zeemed preplexed az tack mir luggage, zay didn't needen zo do zat. Ah vell..."

Nanna places her hands on her hips and looks Gustave up and down. "Never had an Eisen on board. I can show you where you can set your hammock up at, sure. What are you supposed to be?" She takes a look at his kit. "Doctor? Right this way. The sickbay's below." She waves for him to follow her.

They walk down to the gun deck and then a level below it with most of the cargo. In the rear of the ship is a door with a small sign tacked onto it which reads "Sickbay" in both the Lingua Orbum and, Gustave would guess, in Vendel. The sickbay is rather small with portholes on the port and starboard walls. The air is a bit muggy, but there is also a smell of opiates and alcohol, likely from the former doctor's practice. There is a place for a hammock in an enclave in the center with a footlocker underneath the hooks and there are four cots bolted to the wall, two on the port side, and two on the starboard side. On the wall next to the door are two cupboards with a handful of drawers, likely to hold medical supplies. A kerosene lamp hangs in the center of the ceiling and both cupboards have half-spent candlesticks resting on them, spots of wax dotting the surface from drips.

"If you find any essentials missing from our medical supply, let me or my new assistant know. She's the other lady on the ship," Nanna explains. "Freyja, I think she's called. We just hired her, too. Our last surgeon tended to sample a bit too much of his liquor for 'medicinal purposes,' so you'll forgive the smell, I hope." She says. "There's a hammock in the footlocker. Bring it on deck for airing in the morning. Do you need to learn how to set it up, or have you sailed before?"

Freyja blinks and stands when she is addressed. "I know of no Sebastian. I have no brothers nor lovers nor have wish of either. Your pardon. I am merely awaiting the cargo to be stowed that I might take inventory. If I am in the way, I will remove myself to my cot." She did not want an incident. She wasn't sure who this man was, but the way he carried himself she suspected he was the captain returned.

Not accustomed to being hired by any but the captain, Freyja didn't want to call herself crew. And yet, she wasn't willing to cross Nanna or cause her problems. So she answered as simply as she could and could only hope things would go well. She knew she had been lucky to find a ship so ready to sail which would take her on. If she had to look for berth on another ship she might not be able to escape her 'aunt'.

Anvindr looks even more perplexed for a brief moment, then blinks, his face looking as unruffled as ever. "Gods be praised. Keep Sebastian away from your skirts and you'll be just fine. You're to take inventory? I take it Alreck and Erik did not offer you the position. They think Nanna can do everything. Och, but she's taking that gent below. I'll need to catch his name," he says as he watches Nanna lead Gustave below.

"Her vision isn't what it used to be; the help'll do her well," he mutters more to himself than to Freyja, but he has a voice not suited to secret murmurs. "I am Captain Anvindr, miss," he says, bowing slightly. "Welcome aboard the Huld. She's a fine ship, and I trust my lads to have picked a fine crew. It seems a solid bunch thus far. Oh," he says, an afterthought striking him, "and if you've no want for brothers here, another ship may serve you better. A ship's crew is often closer than kin, and such is certainly true of the Huld's crew, if I've anything to say about it." He straightens up, somehow filling the area with his presence.

Gustave looks over the cabin and sighs "Das vill haff to do, und ze hammock ist no izzue. Ich have zailed bevor und earned minem zea legz". "Ich guess ze captain vould meet vith mir spater, though bevor ve cast off Ich vould like zu examine zee crew vor any 'diseases'. Ich hate vor a outbreak on ze zhip mid-voyage." as Gustave explains.

Gustave looks around and opens the portholes to let in some air circulation. Gustave is not a heavy drinker but not the one to shy away from "sampling" different alcohols on there properties. Might have to buy some scented candles to freshen up the sickbay when they get underway.

Freyja nods, "I will do what I can. I can read, write, and do math. I am skilled with a few weapons and I have been to sea before. I have no intention of letting anyone near my skirts, or of wearing them. I prefer breeches. As for being closer than kin . . ." She shakes her head, some emotion clouding her eyes for a brief instant before it clears.

"I have had close kin and lost them. And I have had those who claim kinship with no closeness. I will not deny friendship and fellowship, but I will not seek it. If that is not acceptable, I will find another ship. But I promise no bonds of kinship before even the seeds for such might be sown." She stands straight, unconsciously proper. Freyja had learned her lessons in comportment well, though she might wish otherwise.

"I'll see what we can arrange, Doctor," Nanna says with a nod. "If you'll excuse me," she says, gathering her skirt and walking off to find someone.

Anvindr chuckles, "My how the times have changed. Well, it matters little to me what you cover your legs with, so long as they're covered, pardon my grossness."

He lets out a deep breath, "I've the sense that you've had something of a hard life at home, lass. But it is a Vesten's right to harbor the coldness of the world in himself, herself." He clears his throat. "A Vendel's, too, whichever you may be. Same blood, after all."

"Anvindr?" Nanna calls, coming up on deck. "Might I have a word?"

"I've yet to meet my crewmen, woman," Anvindr replies sternly but not angrily. "Or crew women, as it were. I never got your name, lass," the captain says, looking back at Freyja.

"You'll have plenty chances to meet the crew when we set sail," Nanna chastises. "We have a doctor, and he wants to do a health inspection before we disembark."

"Of course. Tell Alreck to gather the men once the cargo is put to place and counted. It'll delay our departure, I'm sure, but with that skjaeren aboard, we should have fair winds at our back on the journey."

"What skjaeren?" Nanna says with something of a gasp. "Not---"

"Some young lad," Anvindr interrupts, pointing to Sven. "Sven Lorakson, by name. Nothing to be concerned over."

Nanna mutters something to herself, crossing her arms and walking off to find Alreck.

"I am Freyja. And I appreciate the place among your crew." She answered, with a slight incline of her head. She wasn't interested in answering which name she'd call her 'blood'. That was not only complicated, but something that he didn't need to know.

Anvindr nods, "A fine name. On your way, then. I've other crewmen to speak to." He claps Freyja on the side of her arm before walking off to speak to a man who seems to be waiting for something to do.

Freyja, Sven, Sebastian, and Gustave are not the only people the Huld took on on this trip. Besides the skeleton crew of Vendels and Fernando, a good number of Vendel and Vesten from the docks were taken on.

A cool wind blows from the sea. The crew can smell rain in the air, even though it has not reached shore yet. It is approaching evening, perhaps 4:30 or 5:00. The people selling their wares on the docks are either packing to leave or switching to wares better suited to night-- illicit goods, games of chance, and hot food.

"My knowledge of angered fathers may not be as," he pauses searching for the right word, "expansive as your own but I've had to deal with a father who didn't approve of his daughter and I sharing the same space, much less my romantic pursuits of that young lady. He had a tendency of throwing me about; I figure that was better than him slashing me to ribbons." He chuckles at his own joke with the laugh becoming awkward and pained as it ended.

"But that was then," Fernando's voice and face are somber. "Now I sail the seas with a fine captain and crew." His face brightens up at the memories of those days when the seas were fair and the adventures that he partook aboard the Huld.

"Come on, Sebastian, let's load the rest of these boxes quickly before it begins to rain."

Gustave continues to look over the sickbay from top to bottom and port to starboard and taking note of things of importance that would catch his interested. He starts with the cots and does a quick inspection to see if there safe for patients and how ever will sleep in them. after the cots are inspected he looks over the lanterns and checks if there in good order or need servicing and checks around the candles to see if there is any thing of importance. the next order of business is to check where supplies and medicine is stored.

As Gustave finishes checking the room, he takes out the hammock that he will be sleeping in and sighs. Spoiled by months of sleeping in nice beds he dreads the sleepless nights in the hammock, he almost considers sleeping on the cots but knows that would be even worse from past experience. He does a quick inspection of the hammock and will take Nanna's advice of airing it out on the deck. He checks his footlocker and puts his two bags easily in it, he does not want to unpack just yet in case he was conned into service like when he first boarded a boat after he became a doctor. Fun times...

After a while Gustave gets used to the familiar sway of the ship and makes note of it's movement and tendencies. Experience has taught him that familiarizing oneself with the ship and it "Quarks" will greatly reduce "Accidents" while practicing his art. He waits for the Captain or some crew member to summon him.

Freyja nods and decides that she can go ahead and get started with the boxes already aboard. Knowing where the writing supplies were from her earlier trial, she slips in and gets some bit of scrap to keep tallies upon as she works. She will transfer it to something nicer later, when she knows how Nanna wants the records kept. For now a charcoal stick and a bit of fools scrap will do. Moving down into the hold, she is careful to keep out of the way of those working as she begins taking note of what has arrived and in what quantities.

Anvindr turns to Sven. "Ah, pardon my distraction. Hmmm," he considers Sven. Despite his size, Sven still has the cut of a young man, and all the swagger of one, too. "You should be with your age-mates, I warrant. There are hooks for your hammock below and a footlocker for your gear. Speak to Nanna if you've not yet learned the knots to secure the hammock. Again, you'll pardon me. I've much to do before I have our surgeon inspect the crew." He nods at Sven and continues what he was doing.

Gustave's inspection reveals a rather mixed set of equipment. Useful herbs and salts sit in bottles beside snake-oils and strange tools likely designed more for show than actual medical practice. The bandages in the cupboards are clean, however, and there is a supply of liquor, some surprisingly decent quality, hidden at the back. In another corner of the cupboard there are a handful of new candles and a small philter of kerosene for the lamp. There is catgut for stitches, opium for anasthetic, and an iron rod, likely for cauterizing wounds in one drawer. In the other, there is a hacksaw still speckled with blood, a few tourniquets, and some forcepts.

The lamp is half-filled with kerosene, and while perhaps a bit dirty, it seems to be in fine condition. There are some ink splotches on top of the cupboard beside the wax splatters from the candles. The previous doctor was either keeping a log here or had cause to write letters. There is no writing on the cupboard, but in the left corner furthest from the door, the letters A, E, and S are carved in the wood. The carving looks rather old and rather small; soot from the candles and dust have settled into it.

Freyja notes that most of the boxes she is inspecting are filled with bolts of wool and cotton with various colors and in some cases patterns among their number. Most of the material, however, is grayish wool. One box, apparently loaded first and tucked into the furthest back, is somewhat smaller than something in its place should be. When Freyja pries open the box, it is filled with resplendent bolts of brightly colored and ornately patterned silks, likely from the Crescent Isles. They smell faintly of foreign spices. Such silks, especially in this quantity, would make the Huld a ripe target for pirates should anyone know of their presence.

Freyja carefully reseals the box. She makes sure that it not only is re-hidden, but that it is in a place where it would be the last to be touched by water should something bad happen. In her notes, she marks it as linen. Then she continues counting as if she hadn't noticed anything particular.

"My knowledge of angered fathers may not be as," he pauses searching for the right word, "expansive as your own but I've had to deal with a father who didn't approve of his daughter and I sharing the same space, much less my romantic pursuits of that young lady. He had a tendency of throwing me about; I figure that was better than him slashing me to ribbons." He chuckles at his own joke with the laugh becoming awkward and pained as it ended.

"But that was then," Fernando's voice and face are somber. "Now I sail the seas with a fine captain and crew." His face brightens up at the memories of those days when the seas were fair and the adventures that he partook aboard the Huld.

"Come on, Sebastian, let's load the rest of these boxes quickly before it begins to rain."

Sebastian grabs the end of the indicated box and walks it up the ramp with Fernando. And the next box, and all the boxes until they're finally loaded, all the while probing Fernando for his tale. "It used to be a fine ship and will be again! It was when last I sailed her. Anvindr is a good man and a good captain, though as every captain always stingy with rations and coin. Though I tend to find more than enough of both!" His mischievous grin leaves no question as to the realm his "findings" occur.

"I rarely interact with fathers. I find them to be a nuisance. I prefer entering by darkness and leaving by window, though usually my feet are unshod..." Sebastian sighs until he realizes he's staring at nothing again and refocuses on his work. "Why'd you not just stab the fool if he threw you about? Oh, right. Can't woo the lady if you murder her father."

Sebastian catches Fernando's eye, "you must tell me of this lady, who by all accounts had better be nothing short of perfection - anything less is not worth giving up all the women out there and certainly not worth staying one's blade when being thrown about! I mean, it's not that she's competing with just one lady in one port... but every beautiful lady in every port. Tell me... what makes her worth *that*?"

Fernando thinks back to the times when he climbed the walls to the Domingues courtyard and listening to Estella singing while he played, the setting sunlight magnifying her beauty. He thought of all the times her face brightened up when he arrived after his training.

"If I were to tell you of all her charms we would be old men when I finished and I believe you'd try to find her and sway her affections, though I doubt she'd succumb to a Montaigne, no offense. No, I believe that I shall stay silent of such details. I will, however, tell you that when I saw her the first time I knew my life would be nothing without her love." With that last comment he looks away and swallows painfully, remembering the look on her face when he left. He didn't like that memory.

Despite whatever pity Sebastian feels for the poor Castillian, he's determined more than ever to get his mind on better things. "Ah well, better to have loved and lost... as they say."

Sebastian's expression goes from pity to his usual mischievous grin in but a moment. "Well, since you're a single man now with no hope of returned love, next time we put into port we'll have to find you a lady. Or twenty." He arches an eyebrow at the brooding Castillian, "that *is* the case, right?"

Archived