World of Darkness: Attrition - Neighbors [Fin]

Sarah Dead-Wolf

August stared at Sarah, hoping against hope that Sarah would still rescind what she’d just said. But the vampire just stared at her with sad eyes, even as the hope in August’s eyes faded. “I… don’t know what to do.”

“My advice is to let it go.” Sarah’s voice was surprising gentle. “You’re going to put him in a bad situation, even with the best of intentions. Vampires who reveal themselves as vampires without making the human blood dolls are going to get killed by their own kind. You’d put him in a situation where he puts himself at risk just so you can… what do you want to do? Rekindle your romance?”

August’s mouth opened and closed. Flushing, she clarified, “I don’t think that would work. He… no offense, but he’s dead and dating him is about the last thing on my mind. I think… I really just want him to know that we can be friends again.” Her green eyes narrowed slightly. “Why are you telling me all this if this is going to be an issue for you, too?”

"Because," Sarah replied, "Owns-The-Night and I have something in common. I don't like vampires one damned bit. They're mostly a pretty sick bunch, an' I have as little contact with 'em as possible. I deliberately stay outside of their society. An' I don't give much of a damn for their rules."

She glanced over at Declan, who nodded before she looked back to August. "And because this guy right here trusts you with secrets and rules I do care about. Given my pick, I run with folks more or less like him. I just don't often have my pick, and so I stay on my own." Despite an effort to keep her words and tone level, there was a hint of a hitch at those last words, just a twinge of something that might have been sadness.

A somewhat wan smile followed, the product of a person - if person was the right term anymore - who obviously didn't get much practice with the expression. "I wish... well...." The slight grin fell away. "I just wish there was something I could tell you that'd help. But both you and him are best off by honoring his effort to keep a distance." She sighed. "And speaking of distances, it's 'bout time for me to put some between me and Owns-The-Night's territory." She did manage a somewhat heartier attempt at a grin to the Vargr. "You've shown 'nuff tolerance of me for one night."

With a nod of parting to both the werewolf and ghost-watcher, Sarah walked off in the direction of Holmby Park.

Archived