Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - Second Arc - Becalmed

Ouroboros

Nineteenth Day of the Cycle of Azath, Third Turn of the Fifth Age of Iannin

Azath was drawing to an end, nearly two thirds of the cycle were spent and still the city festered and sweltered and rotted from within. Denied its lifeblood by the absence of the winds the city was dying, and it would not go quiet into the night, but instead violently, a series thrashing spasms that would tear it apart. The first such was a riot just two days after Drage and Sur had returned to Bib'ney. Food and drink both were getting scarce in the city. The farms would not harvest yet for some time, and without storms brought by wind the harvest was looking poor, the unrelenting heat only served to exacerbate the situation.

The merchant lords had put the riot down swiftly with soldiers and gold used to buy and distribute whatever food was in warehouses and on ships. Those few ships that could sail without wind were contracted to bring fresh food and grain from the mainland at best speed.

Four days later another riot underscored the urgency of the situation; the poor were unable to afford the rampant inflation of food prices, and in desperation they were gathering in the temple square, seeking alms, and offering prayers. An accident with a cart, a poor choice of words, and a hasty reaction by a mercenary sparked a riot that threatened to overflow the temple district before it was brought to a halt. A day later and the city still seethes.

OOC - I've decided to advance things a few days for atmospheric reasons (pun intended) and to allow a reasonable time for Drage to upgrade his armor. Please establish where you are and what you are doing in your first posts; you can start together if you like (picking up the planned discussion from the prior Arc if you like).

"Uncle, would you stop looking at the damn pearl? You are needed in the city. Kanunassa was attacked this morning coming from Temple. Some fools confused his sack of incense for food and knifed him. We can't let these damn Nigi-geth(Those Without Flight) get away with this."

Suragygh rolled the Pearl between his forefinger and palm once more. It held a mystery to it he could not fathom. Yet, he kept trying. What was the item, once touched by Chaos, for? Was it 'for' anything?

Sur turned his mind to the trouble at hand.

"Was Kanunassa killed?"

"No Uncle, but ..."

"And you want to kill someone over one of us not being killed?"

"That's not the point!"

Sur turned to his nephew and rose up to his full height.

"No, that is the point. This is the heat talking. This is not what the An'kassim do, seeking petty revenge over someone else's ignorance. As you said, they weren't out to rob him of his incense. They were looking for food. They were foolish. Punishing them will not make them any less foolish, while it will express to others a loss in self-control."

Argotu sputtered. His nostrils flared.

"You are old and toothless, Uncle," the younger An'kassim bellowed.

In an eerily calm voice, Sur answered his nephew.

"Exactly."

Argotu stared as his Uncle, expecting some other response to his challenge.

"Nephew, since we first opened our ears to the world, we have all been taught to respect our elders and take council from them. Why is it that you would now break with this ancient tradition?"

The younger Kassim blinked. His jaws, open in anger, snapped shut.

"It is the heat making you talk this way," Sur said.

Argotu stepped back and lowered his head.

"Uncle, I forgot myself and insulted you. I am unworthy of this House."

Suragygh let out a sigh.

"Well, that's really for your Grandmother to decide, don't you think?"

He paused before continuing.

"All creatures live in this World. We are all subject to its environments. If ice was forming on the windows, I would not fault you for shivering. Now, in this unnatural heat, people will get angry. What matters is that you control yourself when control is called for. Get as angry as you wish with me inside these halls. I'm a big boy. I can take it. What matters is that you show control, compassion, and understanding out there - in the city. If you want to do something constructive, talk your friends out of doing something we all might regret. Tell them that it is expected for the Nigi-geth to act foolish. It falls to us to be the wise ones, less we fall into foolishness ourselves."

Argotu nodded and backed away.

"Thank you Uncle."

"You don't mention this episode to your Grandmother, and I won't either."

"Okay."

With that, the younger Kassim left. Sur went back to contemplating his pearl. Inside, his own temper was rising. He whispered to the gem of the deep, "Talk to me, damn it."

The pearl. It appeared unchanged, at least it did now, caught between his fingers under the light of day. Once, three days before, in the dead of night, Sur had awoken to find the pearl glowing in the darkness. Not bright, nor even strongly, but as though a tiny ember. Taking the gem in hand had resulted in a vision of violence in the streets. An angry mob spilling out of the Temple district and into the streets of the lower city, the Merchant's Quarter, and the Comfort District. The next day Sur had suggested doubling the number of his kinsmen in the Temple of the Winds, warning them that there would be violence. He had been right. Thanks to his actions the riot was contained, quelled, and none perished. He was a hero, they said, his foresight, his actions before things happened, prevented things from getting out of control. Now he stared at the pearl and wondered why it would not show him anything but the dim reflection of the room.

Sitting there Sur realized that it was silent, not just quiet, but silent, not a sound to be heard from the hall, the window; not a sound to be heard by any ears. Turning to look to the hall he almost called out, but he did not, there was a light soft and warm and coming from over his shoulder as strongly as the sun on the clearest of summer days. Twisting and turning he could not find its source, always the light came from behind him, over his shoulder, and always its source was out of view, no matter how he turned his head.

"It will work it its own way, it cannot be forced." The voice was like no other that Sur had ever heard, it sounded like light and stone, it came from the light, and yet it was in his mind without hearing, and it was perfect, precise, immaculate. Though he could not say why he believed the voice came from behind him, and though he tried he could not turn to see the speaker. "It will show you glimpses, but not the path. It will illuminate the tale, but it cannot show you truth. Wear it close to you and it will be a gift. There is a plan, and though you do not know it, and could not comprehend it were you to see it, you are a part of it. There is yet the corruption of entropy upon this isle. It is within your power to see it ended."

Sur wanted to speak, there were questions to be asked, but he could not. Without transition the light was gone and sound returned. Sur was sitting as he had before the sound had died, and though it felt as though minutes had passed the sand in the hourglass had not fallen perceptibly since he had glanced at it. He looked at the pearl in his hand ...

The jewelers shop was cooler than the outside, though only just, as the man looked at the pearl Sur held out to him. "It will be my pleasure to seat this for you. An easy task, I could have it in a ring or necklace in a few minutes if you care to wait. Here, let me show you what I have ..."

Sur blinked, another vision, and its intent was clear.

Drage swatted at another fly absently before it could take a bite out of his neck. The heat had made the insects near unbearable and desperate for flesh. They weren't so bad in the city itself, but out here in the surrounding fields and countryside, it was like putting yourself in a meat market where you were the daily fresh catch. His irritation at the bugs had been honed to a razor edge under the unending heat, but now he hardly noticed them over the din of his growling stomach and the pressing concerns for food.

It was not uncommon for Murg to go long periods without food in the Mire. When a vein was found, or perhaps a flood, it could be days and sometimes weeks before a proper meal could be had. When the other races had started falling to hunger, he had started giving up his meager portion to those that needed it more. When children did not have the energy to smile and laugh and dart among their parents legs, then he could go with tightening his belt and a few moments of meditation to keep himself sated.

Those same looks are what had him out beyond the city borders. Many fields had been abandoned in the heat, the sweltering, unmoving heat. Crops were failing or stunted, but for the careful and patient harvester, one could find the occasional shriveled turnip or potato. Drage's skills had given him a few harvests of only slightly poisonous mushrooms that would leave people with cramps, but could make a soup that would at least keep bellies full. Most of the sanare had been stripped clean by people of the same mind as Drage, but he still happened upon a bush rarely and his belt pouch weighed with his success.

A berry a day, do keep the reaper at bay.

It was all he was allowing himself. Until the wind came back, times were only likely to get worse. Sanare does not satisfy forever, but it would keep the worst at bay and give him the means to continue to help others.

"Brother." Drage called out to his foraging partner. Brother Killen's skill with plants was amazing and filled the gaps on local things Drage was not familiar with. "What of these colonies of....of, um...of tenda?

"Of what?" Killen asked, moving over to what Drage was looking at.

"I don't know what you call them here." Drage said, rolling the fallen log he had been staring at with his boot. "But in the Mire, there be many a chewing bug that be good for the kettle. Some no, but many yes. A good porridge they do make, and spiced well, no one be knowing the difference."

"They make a...smell...that is very gross, but they can be eaten, yes."

"Good. I have been seeing many of these settling into homes and wood without a tendin' eye. Tomorrow we can see about settin' back their expansion and calmin' a storm of bellies."

The forests of Ki'nin'ay were a mix, heavy with tropical plants, but with scattered trees that would be better placed in more northern forests. People said that the great pines were a remnant of the forest during the Wailing Winter of the Second Age. Others dismissed that as foolish legend; none could be sure what the truth was, only that the forest on the island provided wood of many varieties, and had helped the shipbuilders to grow their craft to an art; vessels built on Ki'nin'ay were second only to Skrofan built craft as far as most seamen were concerned.

"Tomorrow is what will be, for now we have today to concern ourselves with." Brother Killen stooped over and rolled a fallen log aside peering at the mushrooms exposed beneath. "Drage?" He looked up and realized that his reply had fallen on deaf ears.

Drage had found, to his shock, that his eye, now restored to its spot in his head, was granting him some sort of sight. Of what it was that he was seeing he could not tell, for even closing his good eye to the world had only revealed a faint and uniform color. One cannot see the air, but if one could he imagined that it would appear as such to sight, all around, and yet uniform and without detail or definition. He'd quickly acclimatized to the sight, and had very nearly forgotten it in its entirety until that moment.

Drage did hear, though in his shock the words only grazed against his mind, failing to find purchase. As he looked through a break in the canopy of green tree limbs he saw something that he could not understand. He blinked and it was still there, and still his eyes seemed to be playing a trick of deceit. Killen came to stand next to him, gazing in the direction that the Murg was looking he saw nothing, just clear blue sky through verdant green. "Aye, I miss the clouds too, but staring at the sky and sun will not bring them back."

Drage blinked again, hearing the man clearly. Through the gap in the trees he saw the sky, as true as Killen, but to the north and west he saw a swirling vortex in the sky, a storm that the other man could not. Afraid to look away Drage closed his good eye, shutting out the light of the world, and looked upon the vortex with his jeweled eye alone. It remained, a swirling funnel, like that of a waterspout, or a twisting gale.

The jewelers shop was eerily familiar. He held out the Pearl in the palm of his hand. The Skrofan looked it over with both curiosity and wonder. The sentient doubted he could convince the Ankassim part with it so that he could delve into its mysteries. For now, he used his knowledge as a craftsman to visualize what this object could become when woven into a piece of jewelry.

"An easy task, I could have it in a ring or necklace in a few minutes if you care to wait. Here, let me show you what I have for sale.As you see, I have wonderful settings in both silver and pewter. I don't feel a copper setting would do the pearl justice.

Suragygh nodded. "I'll go with the silver necklace, and I'll wait."

The Skrofan nodded. He picked up the ornate thread-wire and silver inlaid chain. Sur nodded that the necklace was indeed the one, then the jeweler moved over to his counter. He felt it was a pity that the chain had to be wire, but something so long would snap too easily around the Ankassim's neck if it was pure silver. Such was their price for their great size and build. Even then ... perhaps he would bind a bit of strengthening to the chain so that the pearl would not be easily lost.

In a few minutes, true to his word, he finishes setting. He handed his work over to the large claws of his client. The Ankassim puts the chain around his neck, and gives it a test tug. Sur seems satisfied and reaches to pay. The Skrofan hides his grin well as the bargaining begins. As much pleasure as he takes in creating art, he enjoys equally the art of the bargain.

Leaving the shop Sur still marveled at the strange feeling of deja vu, but he also wondered if he would have gone to get the pearl placed into a setting without the vision? Did the vision show him what would happen regardless, or had it shown him what was needed to make what was shown happen? "May as well ask which came first, the keyai or the egg," he muttered to himself as he moved down the street. The cobblestones where hot under his feet where they had soaked the suns' light up. He kept to the shadow where he could, those cobbles were cooler, if only by fractions. As he walked he kept his eyes open, cutpurses and footpads abound in Bib'ney of late, and his eyes saw the city as it had never been in his experience; entire streets were devoid of people.

Those who had money had no reason to spend it, not when food was becoming a precious as gold, and those who had no money were kept from begging due to the absence of those with coin. Those who were out moved slowly in the heat, or quickly, on some errand that they wanted to be done with and out of the heat, as far as the could get anyway. There were no eyes on out that did not show a foul mood, or a shifting darting gaze of one who was wary of his or her fellow citizens. Two riots in less than a week had the city walking a blade's edge between order and chaos, but there was no safety in the edge of a blade, for blades cut, and this city was already bleeding.

A seagull fell from the sky into the street, and before Sur could put his raised foot to the cobbles somebody had darted out of a building and snatched it up, quick as could be, and scurried once more inside. At first Sur thought that odd, then he realized that it would be in a cookpot inside the hour. The Gods only knew what kind of risk that was. He moved along quickly, his scales seeming greener for a moment as his stomach churned.

Temple Square was one of the few places where the city still showed life. People coming for alms, and fewer by far donating for the same. The square, usually lively, was somber, the petitioners and worshipers looked downtrodden coming and going from the temples. Sur stopped and looked up at the Temple of the Winds, standing impotent above the city. The clerics there were at a loss, never before had all four of the divine winds fallen silent.

"We'll be forced to make to the ships and oar our way to safety before too long," Sur said, thinking outload, but in a low voice. "Those of us who can, anyway. And the rest ... Something must be done, but by the Twins, I know not what it is."

Sur walked into the Temple, shrugging off the stifling heat with only limited success. He went as close to the altar as decorum and the current congregation would allow. He placed his right hand over his heart, and the left cupped his ear. One was to remind the faithful of the sanctity of life. The other was to remind all to listen for wisdom upon the winds. Suragygh lowered his head and opened up his thoughts.

'I have not lost faith in you. Come what may, I do not doubt your intent, or your plan. What I do ask is that you allow me the chance to help my people, and by my people, I mean all the souls living on Ki'nin'nay. Give me a chance to right the wrong that has befallen this place. Please hear my prayer, one among the thousands.'

"Killen..." Drage whispered breathlessly, forgetting the honorific, "Ya don't see it do ya." It was rhetorical, not even a question in tone. Drage knew that Brother Killen didn't see it, but he didn't know why he was.

"See what?" Brother Killen questioned again, staring more intently at Drage's area of interest.

"There be a...storm. It don't look good." Shaking his head a bit as he broke himself from the hypnotic swirl of the maelstrom, it dawned on him that it might work for others. He pulled a bit of cloth out from under his armor. It was slightly damp from its location, but at least it was clean of dust. He carefully worked at his eye and popped it out. Killen unconsciously cringed, as most do at the unnatural motion of pulling out one's own eye. "Gaze through it. Can ya see it?"

Killen started to look, then drew back. Steeling himself, he moved to look through it again, clearly uncomfortable. "I do not see anything, Drage." he said quickly and took a step back.

"This can't be good...I think it be time we get to the Temple. I need to let the others know and see if they can somehow see what I see. I can't tell where it is or how big it is, but that isn't born of good intentions, I just know it. Twin's grace, just looking at it gives me the shivers and it do be hotter than an Azanar's breath today. Sorry to cut the gathering short, but it won't be safe to leave you out alone. Desperate eyes would only be seein' what you be carryin'."

Killen nodded in agreement, unnerved by the seriousness and conviction Drage had, even if he couldn't see what the Murg saw. Together, they quickly gathered up what they had collected and made haste returning to the city, keeping a steady ground eating pace that wouldn't kill them with the sweltering heat. Drage let Killen lead, as he would undoubtedly set a pace unconsciously that his compatriot would not be able to match.

Hungry stares met them as they passed through town and only soothing words and promises of where and when to find the food kept them from being mobbed and stripped before they reached the Temple. Even so, Drage had keep moving his hand towards his Halbaxe to warn off some who did not like their answers. That they were willing to even consider taking on one who was well-armed and in disappearing armor spoke to their unspoken cries for help.

It is like the months after the end of the war. Even in Chaos' defeat, it yet ruled. People did not know what to do. They give up in their heart.

Drage gave over his part of the harvest to Killen as they entered the safety of the Temple, none yet had dared to bring violence into the holy grounds, who wasted no time in taking it off to be prepared without a word. It was not in rudeness, but in familiarity. The two were beyond such formalities and each had their own pressing business.

It did not take long for the Murg to find Gral and he quickly explained what he had seen.

The temple was only as much cooler as the difference between the shade and the brutal sunlight, but even that was enough. There was a small service within but Sur was able to locate an altar for secondary blessings off to the side. He was focused on his prayers when one of the temple's brother's entered with a Murg in tow. The draconian looked up, but from under the stone roof the suns were not visible, and he would not have expected to see any further sign regardless. Rising he hurried after the two men as they crossed into the sunlit garden and toward the rear of the temple, where the clerics lived. Sur ran to catch up, and as he crossed the garden he could hear the Murg calling out to Gral as he approached the other man.

"Drage, bright skies to you brother," Gral said by way of greeting to the Murg. Looking past the smaller man he saw Sur hastening to catch up, "And you friend Suragygh. What brings you both to the temple in such a rush today?" He clasped hands with the other monk, "Brother Killen, it is good to see that you have found something for the cookpots, but why the excitement?"

Killen bowed, "Drage saw something, something that I could not, by way of his jeweled eye." The man gave a little shrug, "We decided to come back, he seeks your council, and I seek the kitchens." He hefted the basket, filled with a seemingly random assortment of mushrooms, berries, nuts, and insects. "A feast it is not, but perhaps it will feed a few more bellies than we can without."

Brother Gral nodded, "Of course. Do not let me keep you." Without further ceremony he turned to Drage, and Sur who now stood beside the other, "What is it you saw? I thought ... that is, you have told me once before that since the death of you bonded keyai the eye was blind to the world. And you Sur? What brings you here today? How man I help?"

"I came here to pray for cooler heads among my kin, but mostly to be granted wisdom to see us past this crisis. We are being assailed, but we know not by who. Like many who take to weapons as our calling, I want something to strike at - a resolution to this matter. I know that is not likely, but what can I do now, but pray."

Sur nodded to Drage. They had not sought out each other's company since returning to the city. Drage probably had his reasons, as did he. Now, maybe this was a sign. If not, it was still action. Sometimes you reached for what you could, even if it was not what you wanted.

Drage glanced at Sur.

Does he always just be himself where he pleases? What be your prayers have to do with me or Gral? Go be pious elsewhere. Bah, it makes no difference, the lizard can stay...

The Murg's face was decidedly more sour as he turned back to Gral. "Yes, it be dark since...then..." It was still difficult to talk about and he didn't relish remembering. "It appears that the ritual of the li-, Anupan, has altered it somehow. Through it I can see a storm that no bode well, I feel it. I can point it out if there be a way you may know to gaze upon it."

To Sur, Gral nodded, "I do not know what I can tell you my friend. These are dark times, I am afraid that a sword will do little to turn this weather." He smiled, "At least as far as I can see. There may yet be need that I cannot however." He glanced at Drage, and then back, "Perhaps your coming here at this time is no mere coincidence?"

Gral listened as the Murg explained what he had seen. "Storm?" Gral looked to the sky, it was clear, and the sun beat down mercilessly, almost as though taunting the faithful. "I believe you, though I do not understand. Is this all that your eye has beheld since ..." Gral seemed reluctant to elucidate further, not that there was need. After a moment's hesitation Drage explained the haze that preceded the sight of the storm. "We cleansed it thoroughly, and blessed it to the light."

The cleric scowled, "I know your opinion of the Anupu is not a favorable one Drage, but I believe it wise to consult Ausar about this. He may also know of a way to allow others to see what you see through your eye." Gral looked up at Sur, "It may be that you are here for a reason, you two were companions before." He looked to Drage, "By your leave we should bring Suragygh with us, it may be that the Timekeeper has planned for you two to travel together still."

Sur nodded. Why talk? He would help as he had done before. No one here seemed to doubt that. If this was the answer to his pleas, so be it. He would have preferred a clearer sign, but if this is what was offered, he couldn't be picky. One did the will of the Gods. One did not will the Gods to your own desires.

He began to make a mental note as to what was needed before they went. He had his axe, but he would need other weapons before leaving. His armor? Well, it was too hot to wear it, but it was worse to be killed without it. Food would be scarce. Hunting wasn't Sur's strong suite. He would make do, as he always had. In the past, he had survived to survive. Now he was preparing to survive long enough to accomplish a Greater Good.

Drage harumphed. Whether it was at his opinion of the Anupan or at Sur, it was not apparent. "It be a free city as I know it. I will not be tellin' people where and when they can walk it. If he would like to join us, that is of his mind. I will trust yer judgement that we have need of Ausar once again."

He rubbed at his jeweled eye, it suddenly itching at the remembered thought of the lich having performed his art upon it. It was a small price to pay, his uncomfort, if a source of Chaos had been revealed, or at least the origin of the lack of wind and unbearable heat.

Twins, I hope it be that.

For one used to the sweltering heat of the Mire's summer, even this weather was unnatural and uncomfortable. He truly couldn't remember the last time he had felt cold. He envied those who were back at Thanegaardt, pleasantly cool as wind rushed through the pass and basking in the ice-cold water falling from high cliffs into the city's aqueducts.

Collecting his thoughts he turned and began his way towards Ausar's shop. He was sure Gral would follow, and most likely Sur, but Drage needed whatever head start he could get with his taller companions as he would soon be at a fast step to keep up.

Drudging through the streets to the Anupan's shop Drage almost wished that Sur would fly them there again. Almost. It was hot, and the walk seemed long especially for how quickly the flight had been the first time. Brother Gral walked slowly and as the walk lengthened Drage and Sur both saw signs of a mild limp in the cleric's gait. The man said nothing, but his pace seemed to match that of Drage's shorter legs perfectly. Only Sur found the pace odd, but it was easy enough to walk slowly, and one could almost lose themselves in thought, despite the heat, on a nice stroll.

Within the hour they were walking the alley down to Ausar's shop, the chill of death and magic that most races called unnatural sent shivers up their spines, shivers that never touched the sweltering heat. The limited shade did however, and even that slight cooling made the alley seem practically cold by comparison. The effect was impressive, whether it was intentional or not. The shop itself was unchanged, just as they remembered it from before; dimly lit and full of a bizarre assortment of magical items both necromantic and otherwise.

The lich, Ausar's daughter, sat behind the same desk, pouring over some kind of text or another, possibly the same one as a week before. It came to mind for both Drage and Sur that Ausar seemed young for a man to have a daughter who appeared so aged, even as a lich. The skeletal "woman" looked up and the men somehow caught the impression of a resigned sigh from the figure as it rose and glided to the stair. "I will tell my father you are here."

Ausar came down shortly, still looking for all intents like a man in the mid-point of his life, one who should have children in their adolescence and not one reanimated as a skeleton that looked long dead. "Brother Gral, and friends Sur and Drage," his voice seemed pleasant enough. "What brings you to my shop once more, I trust that there is not another infection of corruption to be purged, I am afraid I used all of the Elantine that you secured for me sequestering the last taint."

Gral shook his head, "Drage's eye is showing him visions of a great storm. I assured them that the chaos was purged from both gems but ..."

Ausar frowned, "Indeed, this should not be. May I see it? Was this storm the first vision that it gave you?" He looked at Sur suddenly, "And you? What brings you here? Is your pearl levitating objects perhaps? Or are you just here with your friend?"

'We'll, if that is his version of an insult, his courage as waned since we last met, or his wisdom has increased. What matters is the right body in the right place and time, and he is capable enough. As long as he doesn't try to throw my life away on some senseless act of personal honor, we will do well enough.'

Sur takes the heat without flinching. It wasn't stoicism, or bravado. Movement cost energy and energy brought heat. It was hot enough. The shop did more than chill him, it came as a grim reminder of all his kin who had died while he was away. Father, cousins, and uncles - all gone. Death was too familiar here and Suragygh would sooner have been gone. Ausar's question caught the Ankassim looking about the shop. He recovered slowly and spoke with deliberate care.

"The Pearl shows me snippets of the future. Today, right before my first vision, it changed. A voice came to me. I will do my best to recall what was said."

"I/me can not call upon the visions, they will come on their own. It will fall to me to figure out what to do with what I see. It will show what might be if I do nothing, but may not be the total truth. There is a plan. I do not yet understand it, and am not likely to see my part in things, though I have a purpose. There is Entropy on the isle and I must combat it."

"It went pretty much like that.and 'though you do not know it, and could not comprehend it were you to see it, you are a part of it. There is yet the corruption of entropy upon this isle. It is within your power to see it ended.'"

"The voice was like nothing I had ever heard before and am willing to wager was not something from the Land or Sea. It was the most perfect thing I will ever hear. It came from all around me, even from inside my head. Even then, I thought the being was in the room with me, but I could not turn to gaze upon the Light of their Form."

"I am not sure I want this Gift, but I know it would be foolish for me to toss it aside, or give it to another. I bear it with me now. I will probably do so until someone takes it off my corpse ... or I find someone to carry it for me a little while - like to examine it."

Beyond turning his head and speaking, Sur has not moved. His great body remains facing one of the shelves and his tone has been that of a man worrying about a broken sandal. He certainly doesn't sound excited, or blessed.

Drage removed his eye with a practiced motion and handed it over in the cloth he used to hold it for cleaning or whatever need may arise that required its removal while Sur recalled his vision. "My expertise is not in the area of 'visions', but of what I understand, it was not be so much a vision as I could see what others couldn't. Something obfuscated to the eyes of everyone. If you have a way to display it, you'll see what I be sayin'. If Sur's pearl do be givin' him the foretelling. I do be sure that the garnet has been changed as well."

"What I know for sure, is that storm does bode us no good. What be causin' it is not of the Gods." Drage referred to the 'good' gods of course. Kaer may be part of the pantheon in general, but as far as the Murg was concerned, Kaer was mock-god, a harbinger and servant of the Chaos he dwelt near. "It do need to be stopped." Drage nodded with finality as though it was an accepted fact.

The Anupan accepted the two gems, "I was certain that we removed all trace of chaos, but perhaps some residue remains. Or there may have been an unforeseen effect of the cleansing, it is rare that the item ... bah, never you mind, I will check them. Thoroughly. Haru, my guests are no doubt hot and thirsty, could you prepare some repast for them and see to their comfort while I work?"

Ausar's daughter inclined her head, "As you wish father." A skeletal hand gestured to the stairs leading up to the second floor, "Please follow me." She proceeded them up the stairs, moving silently. The second floor was open, with stairs to a third floor beside the stairs they came up. There was a small kitchen area where a fireplace sat cold, and on the opposite side of the space a fat iron kettle stove likewise sat unused. There were bookcases on every wall where a window was not, and low cushions and pillows were gathered into clusters, apparently seating was done on the floor and not in chairs. A low broad table with short legs sat in the center of the room with more cushions and pillows surrounding it; a meal table apparently.

Seeing Drage's sour expression Gral whispered, "I am aware of your dislike of the Anupan people, unwarranted though it may be by their actions and predicated only by their appearance, but remember that you are a guest here." He smiled and sat down, taking a pile of cushions near the table, and gesturing for the other two to do the same.

Haru moved into the kitchen area and busied herself there for a few moments. Presently she returned, a tray was placed onto the table with a pitcher of pale yellow liquid. The glass pitcher itself was graven with runes and coated in a layer of thin frost, as were the four glasses placed on the tray. There was a small cutting board with dried meat and cheese and some thin bread as well. "Please enjoy, father will be with you soon I imagine. If you have need of me call." With that the Honored One left them, going down to the store below once again, perhaps to aid her father.

Gral did not wait a moment more, quickly pouring some of the drink into three of the glasses he passed one each to Sur and Drage before taking one up himself. The glasses were cold to the touch, not uncomfortably so, but it seemed an arctic chill after the weeks of heat and still humidity. The drink was sour and sweet both, though moreso the former by far. It was cold as well, and refreshing, and tasted of the citra fruit that were used on ships to avoid yellowskin rot. After a drink, and a bit of the food Gral broke the silence, "Do you think you could find the source of this storm Drage? If it is dangerous, as you seem to think, and none but you can perceive it, there may be a clear and present need for your services once more."

Seeing Drage's sour expression Gral whispered, "I am aware of your dislike of the Anupan people, unwarranted though it may be by their actions and predicated only by their appearance, but remember that you are a guest here." He smiled and sat down, taking a pile of cushions near the table, and gesturing for the other two to do the same.

While 'Haru' was gone and Ausar busy, Drage whispered back, "Their appearance be only part of the problem, dear Brother. This magic they practice, it is not right. Though I be thankful for what they have done and did for Iannin. I will not be comfortable with those who do to the dead that they do. It be not right. It not be the design of the circle of things to anchor those here when their bodies belong to Elan and their souls with their Gods."

Haru moved into the kitchen area and busied herself there for a few moments. Presently she returned, a tray was placed onto the table with a pitcher of pale yellow liquid. The glass pitcher itself was graven with runes and coated in a layer of thin frost, as were the four glasses placed on the tray. There was a small cutting board with dried meat and cheese and some thin bread as well. "Please enjoy, father will be with you soon I imagine. If you have need of me call." With that the Honored One left them, going down to the store below once again, perhaps to aid her father.

Gral did not wait a moment more, quickly pouring some of the drink into three of the glasses he passed one each to Sur and Drage before taking one up himself. The glasses were cold to the touch, not uncomfortably so, but it seemed an arctic chill after the weeks of heat and still humidity. The drink was sour and sweet both, though moreso the former by far. It was cold as well, and refreshing, and tasted of the citra fruit that were used on ships to avoid yellowskin rot. After a drink, and a bit of the food Gral broke the silence, "Do you think you could find the source of this storm Drage? If it is dangerous, as you seem to think, and none but you can perceive it, there may be a clear and present need for your services once more."

Drage's eyes wandered over the engravings, attempting to understand them and at the same, memorize them. He took a drink of the refreshing coolness as he continued to mull, but with a smack of his lips, he gave up.

Perhaps he will let me borrow the cup.

He looked up at Gral, "It be big enough, it'd be hard to miss, yes. Long as it be on the Isle, the source be trackable. If it be off in the waters, or to the mainland...or some place...else? Well, then, it will require more planning." He nodded, and licked a finger of crumbs. "My services, I not be doubting. I more be anxious to be able to defeat or solve what be the origin of the maelstrom. It do be significant and my skills less so."

I iz so smrt
Pattern Magic Expertise to understand the cup.

1d20+3=7

Result is why he mulled asking to borrow it.

While 'Haru' was gone and Ausar busy, Drage whispered back, "Their appearance be only part of the problem, dear Brother. This magic they practice, it is not right. Though I be thankful for what they have done and did for Iannin. I will not be comfortable with those who do to the dead that they do. It be not right. It not be the design of the circle of things to anchor those here when their bodies belong to Elan and their souls with their Gods."

Gral laughed uproariously. After a while he finally subsided, "My friend, you don't understand at all do you? The Reaper himself taught the Anupans mastery of the dead. So says their religion at any rate. Haru or Asuar would be better suited to tell you in full their beliefs, but suffice to say that, to them, necromancy is little different than the healing touch the Twins provide you, or the Truthsense of a devout of Ankassar." The monk shook his head, "It took me time to find the humanity in their kind, but they are little different from you or I once you get past the state of their being." He gestured with a slice of cheese, "And their rumored immortality is not what it seems, the enchantments that bind soul to bones does not last forever, even the Honored Dead join their lord in the afterlife in time."

"I can't say much for magic, but I can offer something about people. If someone means me and mine no harm, and loves the World, it makes sense to let them be. There are too many that distrust and hate already. Why add to the misery."

He drinks deep before putting the cup down. The amount was so small for his frame, but it was welcome for what relief it brought. For his part, Sur had no problem with Ausar, or his daughter. He didn't know enough about Anupans to fill the cup he had just put down. He wasn't one to put too much stock in things beyond his horizon. He had one goal to hook his star to. He would deal with what was, and saw no reason to make himself more trouble than what presented itself.

"There is honor and courage here. That says a lot about any man, and something held by too few."

Then he kept quiet. Suragygh figured he had said too much already.

Gral laughed uproariously. After a while he finally subsided, "My friend, you don't understand at all do you? The Reaper himself taught the Anupans mastery of the dead. So says their religion at any rate. Haru or Asuar would be better suited to tell you in full their beliefs, but suffice to say that, to them, necromancy is little different than the healing touch the Twins provide you, or the Truthsense of a devout of Ankassar." The monk shook his head, "It took me time to find the humanity in their kind, but they are little different from you or I once you get past the state of their being." He gestured with a slice of cheese, "And their rumored immortality is not what it seems, the enchantments that bind soul to bones does not last forever, even the Honored Dead join their lord in the afterlife in time."

"That be it though, their religion says as much. If we'd been losing the battle at the Pass, then we'd all be singin' different tunes of Chaos, I expect. How the, 'One True Way' was in fact, 'The Way' instead of the route to the end of everything. It no make it true." Drage said, trying not to get his hackles up about being laughed at. "One person sayin' somethin' often only be a liar, a small group be a cult. Everyone say it and it be the truth of history. Next you'll be tellin' me ya believe the tales of blizzards in Thousand King Sands or that we be born of Kaer."

"They be Thayim or no, what they do be not right. Even if it don't last forever. There once be a man in my village that everyone do say was a model to strive for. What a Murg should be. Then it was found that he be going out and hunting Lenai! Not every candied nut be good, sometimes it just be a bitterbean."

"Sur has the right philosophy, there are many gods and they teach many things, no one is more correct than another." Gral's grin faded as he saw Drage's expression, "I am sorry I should not have laughed, but you would do well to see the folly of your argument. The gifts of necromancy that the Reaper have given the Anupans is no more or less natural than your own abilities granted by the Twins, or the knowledge of Prophecy that the Skrofan Gyre Master's possess." The old monk shrugged, "But your beliefs are your own, and I cannot change them. Only you can do that, and only if you wish."

After some time Haru returned, "My father will be with you shortly, is there anything else I can get you?"

"No, thank you, we have enough. Your hospitality honors us." Gral's reply was oddly formal, and in return the skeletal woman merely inclined her head in a slight bow. Without flesh there was no expression to be read, and the woman could as easily been furious as pleased, or otherwise. Gral turned back to the others, "If the Twins will it we will learn what your vision has beheld."

Ausar's footsteps preceded him. He sat slowly, looking tired, and poured himself a glass of the cold beverage. After drinking it down he sighed, "There is something to be said for a cold drink on a warm day, but I would welcome a cessation to this weather." He placed the gems onto the table and stared at them as though both had offended him. "They are unknown to me, impenetrable. Only the gods or the First could weave an enchantment such as this. If the jewel would grant visions to any but you I believe it would need to be worn as an eye to do so, as you do. The pearl however showed me something of the future, though I know not if it must come to pass, or only may do so." He shook his head, "All of my knowledge, and I cannot lend you answers that you did not have when you came here. I am sorry."

A thought came to mind. Sur mulled it over and then crushed it. If he was to be true to his word, and himself, the mission came first. You fought Chaos, not bickered about which God did right by his/her own. It would be arguing with a Thayim who was jealous of his wings and iridescent scales. What could you say.

Part of him knew what he wanted to say. He wanted to remind the Murg of the fire, and how they had risked much for little gain. He would try and be the better Being though. Berating someone for his own personal feelings on the matter would have been fine for the old Suragygh. The new one let it go. The War against Chaos was the focus. Remembering that was a battle within itself.

He listened to Gral's words. He declined the offer from Ausar's daughter with a courteous bow of the head. When the Aunpan arrived, he listened to his news as well. It was neither welcome or unexpected. He held out his hand and took back the pearl. The put the cord around his neck and placed the pearl inside his tabbard.

"We each do what we can," he offered Ausar. Even as he wanted to ask more, he knew it was pointless. You had to rely on an expert to be an expert. Magic as an art was unknown to Sur. He felt his best efforts would be spent on deciphering the visions granted. Who could help with that? One thing did occur to him at last.

"Ausar, what vision did you receive?"

"Sur has the right philosophy, there are many gods and they teach many things, no one is more correct than another." Gral's grin faded as he saw Drage's expression, "I am sorry I should not have laughed, but you would do well to see the folly of your argument. The gifts of necromancy that the Reaper have given the Anupans is no more or less natural than your own abilities granted by the Twins, or the knowledge of Prophecy that the Skrofan Gyre Master's possess." The old monk shrugged, "But your beliefs are your own, and I cannot change them. Only you can do that, and only if you wish."

"I am last of the Kith and Kin, what I think does not matter, only what I can do in these last days." Drage waved off the whole matter, it not really being worth the energy to stir emotions.

After some time Haru returned, "My father will be with you shortly, is there anything else I can get you?"

"No, thank you, we have enough. Your hospitality honors us." Gral's reply was oddly formal, and in return the skeletal woman merely inclined her head in a slight bow. Without flesh there was no expression to be read, and the woman could as easily been furious as pleased, or otherwise. Gral turned back to the others, "If the Twins will it we will learn what your vision has beheld."

Ausar's footsteps preceded him. He sat slowly, looking tired, and poured himself a glass of the cold beverage. After drinking it down he sighed, "There is something to be said for a cold drink on a warm day, but I would welcome a cessation to this weather." He placed the gems onto the table and stared at them as though both had offended him. "They are unknown to me, impenetrable. Only the gods or the First could weave an enchantment such as this. If the jewel would grant visions to any but you I believe it would need to be worn as an eye to do so, as you do. The pearl however showed me something of the future, though I know not if it must come to pass, or only may do so." He shook his head, "All of my knowledge, and I cannot lend you answers that you did not have when you came here. I am sorry."

An apology was the last thing Drage expected and the whites of his eyes gave away his surprise. Ausar's previous confidence had left no room in Drage's opinion of him for any meekness.

He held out his hand and took back the pearl. The put the cord around his neck and placed the pearl inside his tabbard.

"We each do what we can," he offered Ausar. Even as he wanted to ask more, he knew it was pointless. You had to rely on an expert to be an expert. Magic as an art was unknown to Sur. He felt his best efforts would be spent on deciphering the visions granted. Who could help with that? One thing did occur to him at last.

"Ausar, what vision did you receive?"

The question interested him, moreso the answer. Drage had already made up his mind to head for the storm. Too much could be at risk again and he doubted there was anyone on the isle as qualified as he or aware of what could be the burgeoning forces of Chaos' attempt at a foothold. But a vision of possible futures could affect his decision.

That thought kept him silent as he pondered the meaning of a prophetic vision changing his mind and eventually the paradoxical maze-cake his mind became led him to give it up and listen to Ausar.

Ausar waived his hand, "It is nothing. A personal matter, a glimpse into my future. I am sure it has nothing to do with this storm you saw." He took another drink, he looked uncertain, pale, but also excited. The constant calm, and almost aloof state of poise that Ausar had show previously was missing, whatever the vision was had shaken him to the core.

Surprisingly it was not Drage, nor Sur, or even Gral, that broke the silence. "Father? Are you well?" There was no mistaking the hint of worry in Haru's voice, even despite the hollow quality of the dead woman's voice.

Ausar looked up at his daughter, and the others could see an impression of immense age and world weariness. Haru looked as though her bones were decades or more without flesh, but suddenly Ausar gave the impression that he was truly aged enough for that to be possible. "I am to die daughter," he said, and to the surprise of the others he smiled, and tears welled in his eyes. "After so long, I know not at least that my exile will end someday."

"This storm must be our first issue, Ausar, but you need not stand alone against your fate. If you have need, I owe you for what you have done for me, more than I think you know."

Sometimes you had to say things. Ausar had set him upon the first step toward what he wanted to do. Now, if the sorcerer needed aid, he would give what he had. Boasting was a young man's game. Keeping your word, and your debts, was the mark of maturity.

Die?! No need to wait. Can be solving your problem now.

"Congratulations?" Drage offered. He didn't really care. He didn't really want to know, or even ask, polite or not. The word 'exile' keyed in his ears and would probably explain why Ausar didn't fit Drage's mental picture of what a lich should be.

He be the gem within the slag.

Not that Drage thought any better of him, but if the liches exiled this one, then perhaps he wasn't all bad. "Be that as it may. We have signs to be lookin' at. Barring sound advice from the lot here, I be plannin' at walkin' straight for the maelstrom."

"This storm must be our first issue, Ausar, but you need not stand alone against your fate. If you have need, I owe you for what you have done for me, more than I think you know."

"Congratulations?" Drage offered. "Be that as it may. We have signs to be lookin' at. Barring sound advice from the lot here, I be plannin' at walkin' straight for the maelstrom."

"There is no need of that. I welcome my end as a freedom from this life." Ausar did seem pleased, and even Gral wore a grin; clearly there was more to the situation than Sur knew or understood. "Ah yes," Ausar said in reply to Drage's comment, "I wish I could help you more, but since I know not what your eye sees, I cannot advise you further. I suggest that you be wary. If it bodes ill, as you believe, it will likely not be a journey undertaken lightly." The man stood up, "I can offer only my services or wares if you have need before you go, or when you return."

"And I can only offer a blessing to go with the Light. If you go into darkness, may it offer you some protection." Gral laid his hands on each in turn and chanted a small benediction. "May you find the answers you seek, and return in safety."

Blessing
The blessing will function as a Luck point for this Arc in the same way that the Luck Advantage does.

Suragygh stretched as much as he dared.

"All that matters is when do we go, and what will we need on the journey?"

There could be other platitudes about - Save the City - Doing what must be done. For Sur, it was enough to be taking a positive action.

"Thank you for your blessings. We will need the aid of the Gods before this is over, I have little doubt."

"Actually..." Drage said, accepting Ausar's offer. "If it be no trouble, I would like to borrow this cup." He hefted it before finishing off the tasty beverage. "I do be thinkin' I could derive its secrets for use."

"I will do you one better." Ausar replied, plainly still happy with his vision. "Haru, would you please fetch, 'Niri'kin'kana'we'."

"Yes, Father." she said, moving to head downstairs.

"That be Fen, or I be the son of a Takrok." Drage mused. "But I do no understand the translation."

"You are correct. Some things have managed to survive the war, and I have been able to procure some of them. It is a copy of common tattoos for use in instruction. A plethora of Pattern magic uses. You will find that your Engraving is quite similar in design and I believe you could glean much from it. The design on the cup is a Pattern."

Drage nodded. He had known of the parallel lines the two magics had taken, though he had never bothered to investigate Engraving's close cousin. "What price for it?"

"It is priceless, or soon will be, no doubt." Ausar said, waving a hand in dismissal. Drage's face scrunched in dismay, wondering what toll the lich would ask. Ausar noticed and immediately shook his head. "Oh, no. I don't think to ask any such amount. Take it, as a gift, for your part in the news I have received today."

Gral's eyebrows went up considerably and he looked over at Drage, "A distinct gift indeed."

Drage's mouth was open in shock and his one eye showing the white of surprise. He gathered his wits and responded, "Gracious indeed, but I can not accept such a thing without trade."

"Make logic of it how you will. Consider it loaned, or gift it to the Temple, or pass it again to one who may learn the craft, I do not care." Ausar said, dismissing the objection with a kindly tone.

Drage nodded, his mind already working the logic through.

Accepting gifts from liches today, tomorrow I do be sharin' a mug with the Horde.

Haru returned with the book as Gral finished his blessing. Drage gingerly took it, though it looked like it had been bound yesterday. No doubt one of the many designs over its leather cover had something to do with its preservation.

"Barring objection, I say we head out with the Twin's slumber. A few hours to prepare and a bit cooler to start."

Archived