Mutants & Masterminds:New M&M3 Game in the planning/recruitment stage!

Mary Masters

Hello! Here's me, taking another spin. This time though I'm working from the ground up with something I've had in my collection of notes I've had gathering dust.

I am proposing a M&M 3rd Edition game, set in my town of Mill City... well you can't really call it a town, more like Minneapolis gone Metropolis. And in this town there are supers. Metahumans as they are called. And a philanthropist has formed a new academy for young Metahumans to learn not only academics, but also learn important superheroing skills and at the very least about their own ability.

I'm looking for 4 to 6 players starting, for a ongoing game.

Update 11/22/11: One slot has opened.

UPDATE: Game has been revived! read the last couple posts!

It will be a PL10 game. The students selected were selected as "prodigys" for their age. All power types are welcome.

The characters must be of high school age (between 14-18 year old by US educational standards), although if I see the concept I will allow younger characters.

Once the team is assembled, they will have to decide on a academic uniform (proper for school) and uniform for "public duty" as a hero team.

I will start adding particulars as recruitment begins. I do have some requests though.

• This game will be semi-4-color. That means things take a more "Noblebright" than "Grimdark" world view and things try to work out.
  • This is for the fun of everyone. Before the campain begins I'd like to collab for things like NPCs, city locations and what not to really flesh this place out. I like ideas too.
  • This is a bit of a training run for me. I REALLY want this to work this time and I can use everyone's help that's in the game. As such I welcome all assistance and request patience.
  • DO NOT POST ENTIRE SHEETS HERE! ONLY BACKGROUNDS! Send your character sheets to me. Once we move to play you may put up your character in a seperate thread.

As for the city you're in...

Mill City, MN - Population 6 Million
    Mill City was incorporated from the major cities and suburbs of Hennepin County after a tornado outbreak devastated the area in 1977. The city is still blossoming and has formed unique sectors of appearance compared to the homogeneous forms of other cities around the world. There are 3 places of note in Mill City.

New Downtown
    New Downtown takes up most of the footprint old Minneapolis had. It's tall buildings, and just as massive green spaces, don't suggest it is a massive metropolis. Designed by metahumans and built to the finest detail, this area is the pride and joy of the region. The main arcology, the first of it's kind, takes up the footprint of Old Minneapolis' downtown area, rising like a metallic pyramid, visible to all for miles. The number of parks and lakes near old Uptown forms the area where the Mill City Metahuman Academy sits.

Boomtown
    Boomtown is a massive residential and commercial district in the borders of old Bloomington. This is where most people live, and either drive into old Minneapolis, or take the network of automated tramcars that service the city as a mass-transit system.

Bubbletown
    Built a short time after the 1977 disaster, Bubbletown is a series of inflated and solid domes that look like a large martian colony was planted there. In fact the domes originally were designed by the builder to be just that, but the emergency in Minneapolis required a fast-deployed and permanent solution. Bubbletown sits on the southeastern quadrant of Minneapolis, and is the industrial and commercial juggernaut of the city. Suprisingly enough pollution is low to almost nothing since Bubbletown is also home to Minneapolis' (and the first) Fusion power reactor. There are several more now in the district, but it's claim to fame is that. It's industry is based around high-tech firms incuding the founding corporation: Hino Advanced Innovations and Applications. It's current CEO, Sakurako Hino is a transplant from Tokyo, Japan and moved the corporation there to help in the reconstruction efforts and to have a change of scenery. She is also the philanthropist behind the founding of the Mill City Metahuman Academy. She is also a genius Metahuman in her own right.

I will add more in regards to the academy itself in a little bit.

The Mill City Metahuman Academy

The MCMA was founded 6 months ago by it's patron, Sakurako Hino, to become a safe environment for metahuman teenagers to learn about their powers and perhaps pursue further training to becoming superheroes in their own right. Headed up by it's headmaster, William Fortnight, the academy's goals are clear with combining it's mandated mission from it's founder and the educational needs of it's students.

The academy is invitation only, usually through an alumni or by the Headmaster's choice. Students attend class Monday through Friday from 9 in the morning to about 5 in the evening, with an hour for lunch and breakfast thrown in. It is a boarding school as well, where the students live on campus. Special classes are usually held either after 5pm during the week, or special weekend classes, and these usually deal with the use of powers. While not encouraged, in fact, Miss Hino's lawyers will stress it should be banned, students can go off campus for some "on the job training", as long as one of the faculty comes along on the "field trip". Students can assist in times of disaster, and students are encouraged to know or learn at the academy first aid, or some sort of emergency response method.

William Fortnight

William Fortnight was a former member of MI-6 in his younger days, and even today still occasionally helps them on important missions. Although his current obligation though is to the students under his charge. He's a man of average height, british accent with a slight scottish twinge, short brown hair and eyes, favors wearing business clothes and a worn overcoat for cooler weather. For someone that should be in their sixties he seems a healthy and robust man in his mid thirties. He's never gone on about his powers, only to say the worst place to encounter him is where he keeps his ammo. At a Library or School.

Little does people know how old he truely is. He fought in the second world war alongside Captain Minnesota as "Professor Paper". A nomme deguerre he was amused by, but fit his powers. He later would be known among the special "Section X" division of MI-6 as simply "The Professor". He worked hard in the suppression of psychic supervillians, and in public stood up for psyad rights. His efforts were successful but he never felt truely like he belonged.

That was until after his move to "sleeper" in MI-6 that Sakurako Hino came to him with a proposition.

Game Info - Secret plots...

Based on how much you send me for extra tidbits, NPC ideas, and detailed backgrounds, I will create a secret plot for your character. Each of "The 6" will have one. Each will take them down a road that will lead to some pretty cool adventures. Now, if someone decides to follow a hook on this path, they can have others come along for the ride. In the end, when the character's plot thread is complete they will have rewards and hopefully some good roleplay opportunity along the way.

Game Info - Experience system...

My experience system operates differently than the base XP system of M&M3.

I give three flavors of Power Points.

Flavor 1: Skill Points

Since this IS a school, these points will come easy. Whenever you complete a training story (either in collab or in solo fiction) I will grant anywhere from 1 to 4 skill points to be assigned to a skill trained. I won't say how I judge this, but this will be a cool way to incorporate training. Skill points trade 1SP for 1 Skill Rank.

Flavor 2: General Points

These points are used to increase your basic, non powered abilities. As common as SP, GPs will improve things like your Abilities and Advantages. You cannot use them for Skills or Powers. The costs are the same as the normal power point costs.

Flavor 3: Power Points

These will be rarer in handing out than the other two classes of points, but they will be used the same in the improvement of current powers and the purchase of new ones. Since these are only used to puchase powers now, while rarer in earning, you'll get a pretty decent number. Anywhere from 2 to 4 depending on a adventure. Completing a plot arc will always net 6 Power Points.

Sakurako Hino - C.E.O; Hino Advanced Innovations and Applications

Sakurako Hino is what results of a child prodigy turned adult prodigy. She built her first fusion reactor when she was 8. When she was 16, she calculated on her own Einstein's Theory of Relativity in 3 days - on a dare. By 21, she created unified theory. If it regards the universe, she understands it. But she likes to apply her science in the field. Wether it's new materials that are as light as plastic yet can transfer damage from a tank shell safely, vehicles that run on micro-fusion cells, or even simple watches that do more than tell time, she's built it.

But she felt empty with all the accolades, awards and accumulated wealth. She felt the need to pay back the community that showered her with praise. So... she embarked on the Metahuman Academy project. Funding the purchase of land near Lake Calhoun, where the old Athletic Club stood before 1977, and building a state of the art academy facility. She then chose a proper headmaster who knew a few things in William Fortnight. Then she started helping William search for candidates for the first class of students. They found 6.

Sakurako Hino is a Asian woman in her 30s, with shoulder-legnth light pink hair and eyes. She generally wears a pink and white bodysuit (her lab's protective suit) under a white labcoat. She sometimes is very gregarious and loves being around people. Probably because it's so lonely in the lab. She is a super genius, perhaps the greatest among Humanity, and has the powers of Flight and the ability to communicate with all machines and technology.

GM Note: She'll be making the uniforms for the academy. Only the best protection for the students of the MCMA. She is also willing to be a mentor for any techie student on the rolls. She will also be occasioanlly teaching courses in dealing with unknown technology or simple science or math classes. Of course, her methods are unorthodox and could create an adventure in their own right.

One more GM note here before I shuddap for a while.

My schedule is currently being available Tuesdays through Thursdays with a little Friday Morning.

I will try to keep in touch whenever I can outside of this time.

Also a few house rules.

1: Common Sense trumps Rules. If it makes sense, F the rules.

2: We're here to have fun first and foremost.

3: This is a PG/TV-14 Game.

4: Be Smart. It's better to be a little over-prepared than not being preapred at all.

5: Don't be a D**k. D**ks get kicked.

If you're able to roll with these rules, then I'm happy to take ya. If not, I WILL BREAK YA.

Also collaborate here about what you want your School and Superhero uniforms to look like. There is a reason why I ask this. ;)

A couple guidelines on that...

1: Must be in good taste on both designs.

2: Skirts must have their hemline a little below the knee at minimum.

3: The hero uniforms must have a common color scheme, two colors reccomended.

4: The hero uniform will be full body. No exposed areas. There's a reason for this (life support and NBC protection anyone?) and because of that attached skirts can be shorter.

4: Have fun. What other schools allow you to pick the uniforms you'll be wearing? Not any I've heard of. :)

I'm thinking about full body suits, with a full mask except for the eyeholes, and colored pure black, except for the outlines being of different colors, red, blue, purple, one for each team member. :)

Uh, is that for the school uniforms? If we're talking super hero outfits, I think we each get our own design, thanks.

Heritage: Not an issue. I hope it wasn't anything in particular and it was just in general.

Galiana: Umm, for purposes of the academic uniform, don't use photos with people please. Someone might get the wrong idea. Not saying anything, just jumping on this as quick as possible.

Dash/Galiana: We will have a single design. Easier for the patron of the academy to design them based on team needs.

On that I got a few notes for everyone to take note of. lol

1: If you got a good illustration of an idea or a picture of someone wearing the uniform design but it's not of anyone underage it's fine. Double fine if it's taken from a corporate site via link. Just clarifying policy for me at least.

2: With Heritage out, there is a slot open. Will shop around in chat to see if one more wishes to join and modify the starting recruitment post accordingly.

3: I will be on all week pretty much from here on.

Galiana: Umm, for purposes of the academic uniform, don't use photos with people please. Someone might get the wrong idea. Not saying anything, just jumping on this as quick as possible.

I'm actually not quite sure what you're getting at here. If the uniforms had been provocative, sure I can see issues, but I'm honestly not sure why you state that, considering how many real people get their images used for avies around here. Also, the image came from a site discussing the benefits of uniforms and doesn't mention names there, either, if you're getting at privacy issues.

Dash/Galiana: We will have a single design. Easier for the patron of the academy to design them based on team needs.

Really? I was looking forward to an individualized but themed design like the X-men. Also, from the limitations already provided, that makes it sound like it's going to look like a suit from the Power Rangers. I have to ask - how 'anime-ish' is this going to be? I already get my anime fix through MA and NE. ;)

As a note, I'm not trying to cause issues, just be clear on what to expect from the game so that I don't get into it and then learn that it isn't a good fit. I'm sure you understand that I'm trying to avoid hurting feelings later, or let people down. :)

I think, although I feel I have been clear, I'm getting a little crosswinds on if I'm running a Anime styled game.

I am not.

This is an international academy for metahumans similar to Xavier's Academy or what not. Not to say that some of that influence may creep in from things in Japanese pop culture, after all, there may be a Japanese student of the academy into Anime or Sentai or what not. But other than that the paradigm is deeply rooted in US comic books.

I apologize if I've not been clear.

Also... there is 1 slot open now.

As there is a spot free, I'd like to express my interest in joining. Still working out a base idea, but I'd like to try a Summoner, with some powers added for Channeling the concept/creature type summoned.

I am familiar with the M&M rules and read the disclaimer on Ducks and Making Sense.

*Signs Waiver*

Don't worry about it. I don't think I have the creativity or energy anymore to do this... I'm sorry everyone. I'd better stop now before I waste any more of your time.

I also am not going to even attempt to run any game again here. I'm a failure as a player and GM.

Archived