Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 13: All Soul's Night - Fox's Refuge

Dawn OOC

October 31

The Refuge had settled in for their first Halloween. The few kids around were particularly excited; there had been few celebrations of any kind, but Fox had ordered this one to be thrown. It was partially a declaration of normalcy; partially a celebration of life and partially a festival to unite the two cultures. There had been some friction between the two: they were two very different people forced together. Fox had done everything he could to smooth things over, but part of the issue was that he’d brought a number of supers with him. It was a huge power imbalance. It was always rough to get people to come into one. Hopefully, the party would help.

The cafeteria had food from the stores and decorations, looted from a warehouse in Texas. Several people, particularly those lucky enough to be parents, had put together simple games – ones which the adults were starting to enjoy, too. Candy had been donated from Fox’s private store; he’d gathered it once figuring that it was close enough to food. He was proud that his group had come far enough that he didn’t feel the need or horde candy for sheer survival.

The other thing he was proud of was cementing relations with Gabby's group. At the time, the split had been over leadership issues, but he was glad they were moving beyond those. The angelic leader had agreed to a trial run - her people would come and stay the night, participate in both celebrations and see if they meshed again. He didn't like all of her religious stuff, but she had taken some very skilled folks with her and Fox would be happy to see them return. And he was happy that there had been a priest among the locals, so that her people could get their spiritual needs met, too. All in all, a re-merger would a good thing for all involved.

The locals had been explained the traditions but where hesitant to join. Tomorrow was a Catholic holiday, and they’d be hosting that. Fox was looking forward to it, even with the religious overtones. He wouldn’t be at the service – which was fine, according to Martin – but he was going to come to the feast, and knew several other supers would show. Ger and Markham would come, too. All in all, he was looking forward to it.

Satisfied, the leader of the large island enclave leaned against a wall and watched the party get rolling.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarah had put a lot of work into making this party possible, both in terms of clearing out the island and the rebuilding, and more directly in hours of work the last few days. She loved Halloween, getting candy as a kid *and* giving out it out as a teenager, one of the big nights on which she hung her year. So there was no way the blonde megamorph, wearing one of of her few dresses, sandals, and a cat mask she had bartered for for the occasion, was going to miss this.

A feeling of nausea and soreness she hadn't felt since her change did curtail her sense of enjoyment though, much as she kept the feeling from her face as she watched festivites begin to unfold in earnest. Well, not so much the nausea and soreness itself, but the reason *behind them*. Dan had told her go to see Myf when the symptoms started showing up, Sarah hadn't argued too hard after things continued one day too many for this to be a 'passing bug', and once Myf had done her magic and told her the why the afternoon before, Sarah had been fighting off a mix of dread and uncertainty ever since. She had to tell him. She didn't want to. But she would... after the party started going. Yeah. Then. Then would be better...

Dan was going to miss the old place. Things wouldn't be the same. That said, He knew that they might just be better. Alicia and and Lorraine had quickly taken to Sarah. She was far closer to normal than Violet, and She was nothing if not up front about her feelings for Dan. Dan sensed it was harder for Alicia than Lorraine, as The latter had really been more of a thankful friend, and his connection ran much deeper to Alicia.

Still she'd smiled, and hugged him, stiffly, but still, she was trying. Dan had procured a great deal of varied supplies in the final runs before moving over to the Island, and he'd given much of it to Morgan to help smooth over what needed it. More than anything Dan felt relatively content. Thoughts of Violet quickly turned more to their children, and his own silent resolution that he wouldn't abandon them. Sadly he had no idea where she'd gone. He knew that wasn't going to stop him, he was a Marine after all.

He pushed the darker thoughts from his mind, tonight was about the party. He'd joined in the festivities, where Sarah cat gone with a feline motif, he'd gone Canine, and smiled behind the mask. More to the point, he came as the Big Bad Wolf. He snuck up behind Sarah and grabbed ahold of her shoulders. "Hey."

At Ashley's insistence, Kristin went to the New Refuge for the first time for the Celebration, saying she was moping too much. Kristin didn't feel like she was moping, she just wanted to work on her farm and not move all that much. Crops were beginning to grow, though nothing was really ready to harvest yet and most of it would have to be saved for the following growing season anyway. But it was nice to see it grow and she had fixed up and cleaned the farmhouse. There was no sign of the old residents anywhere anymore. It was hers.

Dr. Shattuck had mentioned something about a nesting instinct. All Kristin knew is that she felt like a cow. She might not be waddling like most pregnant women and her phenomenal vitality and constitution ensure she didn't suffer most of the regular complications and symptoms that accompanied pregnancy, but her cravings had gone wild (though that was pretty much over), her boobs and belly were huge, and she had to pee all the time. And it was hard to find a comfortable way to sleep. All the women claimed she was 'glowing.' She didn't feel like she was glowing.

So she was irritable and the occasional bouts of heartburn didn't help any. Dr. Shattuck said that was from the baby pressing and moving her internal organs - she might have been super-tough, but there was still only so much space inside of her. On the hand, she was more than thirty weeks along, only about another ten to go, then the thing would be out of her, and hopefully out of her life. Maybe someone at the New Refuge would want it.

Wanting to see where her baby might end up - and not because she cared about it, just because, really - Kristin reluctantly agreed. For a costume, she wore a voluminous red cloak that fell to her ankles and had a deep hood. It helped conceal the heavy swell of her breasts and belly. And lest any 'wolf' think her easy prey, she had the sword Jill had made for her slung across her back. And there was a certain knife hidden on the inside of her cloak as well.

Thanks to a trip through Fox's portal, Kristin wondered through the New Refuge, the heat of the more southerly location making her hot, and the cloak didn't help, though it was soft and she had to admit, warm on chill nights, Kristin wondered where Ashley had found it, she hadn't done as much salvaging as before, since she had started her farm, though there had been a good run to Wichita, since there was a large seed farm and distribution center there.

Kristin walked over to the cafeteria with a large, wooden crate, her contribution contribution to the Celebration. There was some candies (not quite stale), and some produce from the small harvest she could spare, mostly preserves, and a bushel of crisp, apples.

Sarah started at the touch but somewhat relaxed at the voice, a complex expression crossing her face before she turned around to offer Dan a wan smile of her own from behind her yellow mask. He'd have seen through anything more of a deception. No. Party. Think about the party. Other problem later.

"Hey, yourself," she offered even as she broke free from the Marine's grip in a gentle turn to face him, chuckling at his choice of mask. They were certainly no cat and dog couple, warm as the reality of that word applying to her and Dan still made her feel, but it was the only theme they could find in such troubled times. And you had to do the best with what you had.

"What do you think of everything? We've put a lot work into the party, snacks included, even if I tragically don't feel like trying most of it. You'll have to sample for the two of us," she followed up the greeting, pausing for a heartbeat at her verbal mistep. God, she was going to ruin this evening before it started.

Dan chuckled "I think you all did very well with the resources at hand." Seeing Kristen made him smile. "I'm glad she made it. With her being so far along, I didn't know if she'd come." He viewed Kristen as someone he at least wanted to keep an eye on, in case they needed help. He knew she'd remain at the refuge, and didn't try to stop her. At least there, they could always check on her. After Jon's lab he'd begun worrying more about her.

"I'm more than capable of eating for us both, but I think I'll let others enjoy it first. Though sampling I imagine will be fine."

Matt had been doing a lot of work to get everything up and running, it pretty much kept him reclusive for the most part. He was a perfectionist after all. Tonight was his night to relax, which he did by entertaining the kids with fire shows. He started small, little tricks making it look like he was just your average fire juggler. Then bringing out the more complex moves, like actually breathing fire, or his little rendition of the Lion King, with fire animals. The eccentric nova had calmed down a bit with time, but he was still energetic as always, he offered smiles to everyone. "I will now open the floor to requests, show me what'cha got!"

It really was a great party - it had been months since he'd celebrated this sort of way. Not that Halloween held any special significance for him - but he'd always enjoyed it. He'd almost burned out on parties and partying in that last year with Samantha, and he'd had fun for sure ... but this was special. He could really enjoy how much of a relief this is was for everyone else too.

Days ago, when his copy had delivered the report to him he'd come right away. Sure, still armored and a bit wary, but he'd seen that this was no charade. The people here were moving on with life, there were children on the way. Children growing up and children to be born! He'd been rationing his own supply of candy with the local kids. They got to choose trick or treat, and the ones who chose trick got a show of him turning into an animal of their choice. They all had to agree on it, and they ended up getting the treat too ... he'd never really liked kids before. Now, he saw how magical they are. He understood what they meant, and he was sorry that he'd betrayed his parents with such stupid, selfish and reckless behaviour. They had been so angry at him, and now he realized that when he left without turning back ... they had probably missed him - they had forgiven him. Now, he didn't have the chance to say to them ... they were gone and he was the one who'd stayed away. After a while, he noticed another para-human started a fire show, so while the kids had other entertainment he slipped away.

Now he walked the campus, greeting people who he didn't know. He had also prepared a gift for Fox ... for everyone at the refuge. Working with all of his copies, he'd transcribed notes from his travels and experiences. Good islands for food, good places for salvage, enclaves he knew about - both good and bad. The territory he'd covered was mostly east and north east of here - but it should be useful. Especially the closer island chains and continental coast. He'd tried his hardest on the maps too - augmenting his manual dexterity, and tracing what he could. After a few draft copies, the maps and text were looking pretty good. Not quite professional, but very useful. He held the small folio in one hand, gift wrapped and all.

He saw what seemed to be a couple of supers, a ruggedly handsome looking man and a very tall - stunning - woman. So, introductions all round tonight he walked up ... trying to time his intro for an opening in their conversation. "Hello ... nice to meet you. Doctor Varroxxian, or just Varro for short." he said, extending a hand to the woman .. ladies first after all.

The blonde megamorph accepted the hand, glad for the rescue from her involuntary focus on Kristen and wondering if she was going to look like that in half a year's time. Assuming everything went well. "Sarah Daunt, and the pleasure's mine, Doctor," she answered back, smiling behind her mask, her grip the firm caloused one of someone used to working and fighting with her hands, "This is Dan Hawkins, my companion in every way that matters these days. When did you come to the island?"

There was an ocean's worth of affection in Sarah's voice for the marine, chasing away all but faintest shadows of her worry now that she had someone else to focus on.

Varro also gave Dan's hand a firm shake "Mr. Hawkins. ... I am rather new, and only arrived days ago. Still meeting people, and I am going to ask to join. I wasn't sure, had to check things out ... but the refuge really is. Its a place I could settle down, get to doing some work."

At the mention of Sarah and Dan being together Varro smiled ... he added "Its good that people are staying people, not letting the world get to them. You two make a lovely couple." he paused, "I have been looking for your resident Doctor, but I hear she's still states-side?"

... also adding in "Plus I had another gift for Fox, for everyone really ..." he holds up the folio and grins "Something to show I'm serious about contributing to the community."

Dan nodded and shook hands. "Good to meet you Doctor. It's always good to have another medical professional around."

The compliment about the two of them made him smile slightly. "Glad to have you around, I haven't seen Myfwany today, but that doesn't mean she's not here."

He nodded. "More information?"

Sarah chuckled a touch uneasily, glad her mask hid the slight tightening of her features at the mention of Myfwany's name. She was really bad at hiding things, at least very important things. And she had trouble imagining anything more important than what she was hiding.

"Information's always good. But until then we have snacks," she offered, gesturing at a table that was at the center of an ever-changing cloud of hanger ons as refreshments oft were, perking up as a song wound down and Bobby Picket's 'The Monster Mash' began it's opening beats, "Shall we, Dan? I'd hate to think I got dressed up for nothing."

"No. But I didn't let that stop me before the Z and I don't want to let that stop me now that I have someone to dance with again," Sarah countered with one hand on her hip and a wry look in her eyes that melted into aquisence at the realization he was right, however much she wanted to get away from thinking, "Okay, Doctor Varro. Let's find you Captain Fox or our other Doctor. She said she might be stopping by the party."

She finally notisced the metal teeth on the newcomer. Interesting, and definitely something that might distract, no, interest Myf.

As Fox watched the celebration with a mix of paternal goodwill marred only by a slight patina of smugness that he felt he'd earned this time, one of the junior officers came up to him holding a satellite phone. He offered it up saying, "Call from the doctor, sir. She says she's ready." Fox nodded to the younger man and took the phone with a "Carry on."

Over the phone came the tinny, slightly staticky voice of Myfwany. "Sounds like quite a shindig you have going on there, Morgan," she said, amused. "What's a girl got to do to get a lift?"

Captain Fox grinned. "I think it's up to hootenanny status now," he returned with mock defensiveness. "I think we have the potential to hit 'pow-wow' before the night's over. Where do you want the portal?"

Even over the satphone, her laugh was refreshing. She'd always been so serious, always driven by work and more work. It was good to hear her lighten up a bit. "Better put it just outside the security door. I've been doing a lot of housecleaning. The inside doesn't look like you remember it now. We've got the cameras going again, so I can say with confidence there's no zombie presence outside."

Fox nodded, and a patch of space next to him rippled and twisted. "Okay, it's ready."

"See you in a few seconds." The connection clicked off.

And sure enough, a few seconds later, Myfwany stepped out of the portal. She was dressed, of all things, as a nurse...albeit in the relatively exaggerated style of a Halloween nurse, with oversized hat and bright white blouse and slightly too-short skirt. She'd daubed her cheeks with a big red dot each in a nod to the outfit's vaudevillian origins. She carried a bright white purse that had a red cross on the side as well.

Morgan had to laugh, and even started a, "Helloooooooo..." before Myf stopped him.

"God, it's really bad isn't it?" she asked, dropping the 'flirty nurse' persona like a glowing chunk of charcoal. "My first thought was to try something like a cyborg, but the lab is mostly for genetic research and testing...no prosthetics." She sighed. "I thought this would be funny, but now it feels awkward."

Fox shook his head, still grinning, and clapped her shoulder. "You look great," he assured her. "I think it's hilarious. It's the last thing anyone would expect, which makes it great. How are things going up there by the way? It's been a little while since we've heard anything."

"It's been going well," Myfwany replied. "The only usable level's been pretty much cleared out...thanks for the help with that, by the way...and power's up and running. I've been going over Jon's notes on the various computers and journals he left." She lost her smile at that and looked away. "It's...about what we thought. Maybe a little worse. He...by the time things got bad, he was only barely coherent, so there's no detail about his procedures or what specifically he did. However, I'd keep a very close eye on the baby we recovered. I don't know if Jon had..." her face twists a little in revulsion. "...any role in the birth. If you get my meaning. He seemed to think he did, but like I said...he was not a reliable source by then."

Fox nodded, then hurried to change the subject. It wasn't that the topic wasn't important...but it could wait until after the party. "All right. What about the facilities? Are they adequate?"

The distant, disturbed expression cleared from Myfwany and she nodded. "They're excellent. I'll still need to raid a hospital to get some of the specialized testing apparatus I want, but it's more than enough to get started. I need to steal Dan a little more too, to get a plan for how to make the isolation chamber. There's a big, strong secure door, but right now it's in a kind of awkward spot. I think with some renovation, we can change the..." she trailed off abruptly and gave Fox a reproving smile. "...but this is work, and it's not what I'm here for."

Morgan clapped his hands approvingly. "Bravo." He glanced at his watch. "And it only took you three minutes and fourteen seconds. That's a new record."

"Okay, okay, I get it. Even so, do you know where Dan is? I want to say hi before I start mingling."

Fox nodded and pointed. "Last I saw, over there somewhere. Also a new doctor recently showed up, and I know he's been wanting to see you too."

Myfwany sighed theatrically. "Only gone a few weeks and already I'm replaced."

"He might be walking on your floor, but that doesn't mean he's filling your shoes," Fox replied with a smile. "Seems like a nice guy though."

She nodded. "I'll look for him too."

"Shouldn't be hard. Just look for Sarah. She tends to stick out. Hey, did you know they're together now? I think that happened after you left."

Myfwany feigned a look of mild surprise and answered, "Really? Well, good for them. I'll be odd then. See you later, Captain."

Fox gave her an ironic salute and intoned "Doctor" in slightly mocking tones that let her know he thought they were past honorifics by now. Myf just smiled and shook her head to herself, and walked into the wild light and color and commotion of the party.

Varro sensed he was about to become - nay already was a third wheel. "Why don't you two get to dancing - its a rare enough night and you both should enjoy it. I am sure I can find Fox and the Doctor, but please do come and chat. I Imagine I might be putting in time at the hospital, or maybe on salvage detail."

Despite polite objections, Varro took his leave and left the love birds to each other. He slowly wandered the campus, just being social. To be back in a community again! It really was something ... a bit bittersweet since he had lost so many people. Then again, that applied to everyone here he was sure ... and it was no reason not to find new friends. He couldn't get trapped into feeling sorry for himself - really, he had been blessed with so many gifts while others had only reaped suffering.

Blessed he thought what a strange term to employ. He'd never been very spiritual, but he had been through something spiritual. Every time he used his powers he had a spiritual experience, maybe he was even visiting some sort of nirvana or afterlife. Was nirvana a place or a state? Did it matter? Maybe he'd have to devote some time to getting more books for the library. He wondered, for the first time, if something like this had happened before. In a less populated world the effect of the pandemic would have been much different. People who lived closer to the land wouldn't have been trapped like city dwellers. Ancient peoples knew how to fight, how to hack off heads - heck, how to form shield wall formations that could hold off the enemy army ... ancient troops with armor and big blades might fare very well against hordes of the infected dead. Then the para-humans would have been magical people - following the ancient paradigms. Was this Halloween playing on his imagination? Were ancient monsters and fair folk just para humans?

Varro's agile mind explored the possibilities as he did more meet and greets. I should learn everyone's name. That's going to be important, to really be a member of the community. As soon as I find Captain Fox I am going to ask to join. Yes ... this feels right. Odd that he would lend so much weight to feeling, but the community has to feel right. Home has to feel right.

Sarah could have exploded with frustration at that moment, the hope of Doctor Varro's refusal dashed against Dan's insistence. It was one thing to know intelectually that doing this for a stranger was the right thing to do, and any other other evening she would would have gotten a warm glow from the good deed. But tonight..! Sarah was nausaus and sore and worried and a half-dozen other emotions that were *not* condusive to 'helpful Sarah'.

She waited till Dan started ahead, squeezed her hands to fists, looked up, and exhaled behind her mask, the frustration clear in her whisper, unthinking as her essential honesty reared it's head, "Is one night off too much for a pregnant woman to ask? God."

Dan spun around. His ears had just heard something he didn't expect. A mind far superior to what regular humans could ever manage put things together with alarming speed. He moved back to Sarah, and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Really?"

The doctor was momentarily forgotten right then, as Dan's world seemed to hang on Sarah's reply.

Sarah was caught on the hooks of the expectation in Dan's gaze, a very tall deer caught in the headlights, revealing the very human uncertainty of her inexperience in certain matters however good she was at rescuing people from zeds and the odd super zed, fear and worry mixing in her gaze. "I, I..," she stammered before swallowing, "Yes. Doctor Myf confirmed it yesterday when I went to see her, and I've been waiting for the right moment to tell you and, I was worried and... Oh, God, Dan. I should have told you earlier. Are you angry? I'm sorry."

The blonde megamorph felt about two feet tall at the moment despite her head's worth of vantage over the marine, her world hinging on his reaction now, not having a clue what she'd do if he reacted poorly now. Hell, not having a clue if he reacted well.

He reached up to caress her cheek beneath the mask. "Angry isn't even on the long list of reactions going on right now Sarah. I love you, and we did this together, and like everything else, we'll face this together too. It's something I can say I really look forward to."

He lifted her mask and his and kissed her lightly. "This explains alot."

He had a big grin on his face. "I'd have figured you'd be mad at me for my part in this. I know you weren't expecting it, Neither was I."

He wrapped an arm around her waste and looked back to the Doctor. "Well, at least we're going to have an expanded medical staff." he looked up to her. "Are you going to be okay with this?"

"That is fantastic news!" said Varro at the revelation of a little one, or ones, on the way.

... he let them finish their moment, taking a step back and listening to some of the locals who'd got together and started singing - sipping some wine he'd liberated weeks before from one of his canteen cups. At least wine supplies would keep for some time, but if he was going to keep the medical profession going there were long term challenges. Finding alternate sources of drug compounds, bringing back herbals that had been effective from before big pharma, and for the really critical drugs - manufacturing them again from scratch.

In response to Dan "I will start brushing up on my pediatrics. Nothing but the best for the little ones ... actually, the refuge is lucky. Not only new children on the way, but quite a few who made it here safe and sound it seems".

He offered an equal portion of his small supply to Dan, and a lesser portion to Sarah if she wanted it - best not too much with the baby on the way ... just then three young children playing some imaginary drama of witches and goblins ran by ... giggling and laughing.

"I have been thinking on how long term is going to work, with medicine, food, technology ... how we'll have to do things differently as a culture. As the lead mechanic here, maybe you and I could sit down in the next few days and chat - share ideas. When I see the kids, it really makes me think we have a chance."

Sarah exhaled again, a long supressed seed of hope blooming into a relieved smile, nearly unminding of Varro's presense until he offered her what smelled like wine. The blonde megamorph shook her head, "No thank you, Doctor. That stuff doesn't affect me the way it used to when I was two feet shorter and a lot lighter, and I always drank for the buzz not the flavor."

She turned her grin on the Marine at her side, eyes happily rueful, "*We're* going to have to be ready, if you're up to being a 'pregnant father' as my parents put it. This is just as much my 'fault' as yours for not thinking about looting up some form of protection. Not perfect and might not of even worked at all, but something. But... I think I could be okay. Once I get over the what do I do now reaction. I'm still really freaked out to be honest."

Dan nodded. "No rush just yet Doctor, but thank you for your willingness to help. When you'd like to talk I'll make sure I'm available. I know Morgan and I hit just about everywhere we could think of, preparing for this relocation. No wine for me thanks. It's held nothing for me really since Z-day, and even then it took a great deal for me to get any enjoyment from it."

"We have more than a chance, Doctor. We have hope, and the will to make it so."

He looked to Sarah. "In large part, I have this lovely woman to thank for that. I wouldn't be here, were it not for her support."

"It's nobody's fault. That makes it sound like it's a bad thing. I assure you I don't see it that way." He raised one of her hands and kissed the back of it. "Unexpected yes, but wonderful all the same."

Sarah blushed at being given the credit for Dan's survival, bending down and giving him the warmest of passing kisses back, "You're too good, Dan. I recall the support being two ways at more than a few points."

She allowed herself to grimace, feeling another surge of nausea roil it's way through her gut, "Just give me some time to start feeling more of the wonderful. At the moment, I'm mostly feeling sick and burnt out from stressing over how to tell you all this. Stupid, huh? I should know better than to listen to my fears like this."

The blonde megamorph sighed as the 'Monster Mash' came to an end, adding mock seriously, "Now both of you two go try the snacks. I want to be complemented on my punch."

Fox opened a portal at the agreed time, and people poured through. Many were former refugees from Fox's, others were the former Hayes enclave, and then there were strangers, dozens of new people reconnecting with another part of surviving humanity. And they were all laden with packs filled with toys, decorations, sweets and food for both the Halloween party and the All Saint's Day feast the next day. Several packs were also filled with reclaimed artifacts from the churches of Hayes and Columbia; the men and women carrying the sacred items made a bee-line for the priest that had visited Columbia a few days earlier to administer Mass and take confession, returning the items to a living part of the Church and requesting to learn from him how to be a priest. She'd sent the women who'd agreed to dedicate their lives to the direct service of Lord, even though it was against tradition. The more living clergy in the world, the more souls that could be saved during this time of Tribulation. If he would agree. Gabrielle breathed a silent prayer and joined the other leaders of her enclave in getting the goodies and overnight essentials that they'd brought to the right places.

Once all the items were settled in, the winged teenager set the tone of the new, larger party by approaching Fox and holding a hand out to him, nodding her head over to where an impromptu band was playing and people were dancing. "Join me for a dance? I missed my prom due to the Apocalypse," she grinned. Yes, it was a serious matter, but it was Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, a time to face your fears and temptations and to cut loose a little.

While she waited for the startled man's reply, her own people began to mingle: parents and caretakers gravitating the children together for games and general suger-high high-jinks, others taking to the dancing area or grabbing plates of dinner and sitting down at the benches and tables set out. Friends separated by the split at Fox's Refuge were reconnecting, sometimes with easy hugs and warm smiles, sometimes with a more hesitant hello. It hadn't been easy for those caught between Gabrielle and Fox, though luckily no actual families had split up. Gabrielle hoped that what they'd talked about would work out and that this wouldn't just be a visit. Survival in numbers, hope in Salvation, and Grace in the Lord. And maybe a dance.

Varro took the glass of punch "Thank you", and promptly made a toast "To new friends, new beginnings, new places ..." and winking at the expectant couple "... new hope!"

"So how far out have you begun to build here? Are you planning to fortify the campus? I am wondering, because sometimes an urban spot looks clear but there are lots of walkers still trapped in doors." He took a sip

"Delicious. Been a while. ... Have been thinking of setting up a greenhouse and a bit of a lab with it. Need to start growing medicines, working with botanical stock. Making old fashion reagents with 19th century glassware setups. Did a nice sturdy greenhouse for an enclave a few months ago - helps during storm season. Children will need some good vitamin rich berries or tubers as supplements too. Smelted some nice borosilicate glass from broken windows, beach sand, and a dash of laundry detergent. Question is where to put something like that here?"

Sarah returned the toast and sipped her punch, pleased the powder hadn't lost all it's flavor even if she had had to add double the ammount just to get it strong enough. "Whoever named it morning sickness was a damn liar," Sarah answered with as close to personal venom as Dan would have heard from her outside of combat, before turning her gaze to the doctor, amused again.

"Oh, we've cleared out the island far as anywhere a Zed or human being can reach. We just have to finalize beach patrols to keep any from walking in from the ocean. There are more than a few of us with some experience in securing an enclave or two. As to where to put your greenhouse..."

She looked around, not spotting Fox imediately in the crush of new people, presumably this Gabriel's group. She still had her doubts about them, religious zealots nearly always part of an Enclave's problems and not their solution. "Well, find Captain Fox. He'll know where you can put something up like that."

"Sounds good. Really, all I need is a stable foundation. Though it would make sense to be close to where you plan to farm. Some of the plants we need will also double as food or utility crops, and they'd only be in the green house as seedlings ... to manage the growing season, and let them get strong before being rooted in the fields. Unfortunately, some medicinal plants are annuals - just can't get around that." He takes another sip ...

"... but listen to me. All shop talk at a party. I guess it just comes from the focus of the last little while. Maybe its just excitement, finding a home is far different that finding a place to hand your hat. ..." Varro looked over at the cluster of new arrivals, and the Angel offering a dance to Fox "speaking of finding homes. Quite a few newcomers over there, and there's the Captain. With an Angel apparently! See new things every day."

With a nervous smile fixed on his chiselled face, George stepped forward, taking in all the other people here at the Refuge. Gabrielle had told him a bit about them, but the difference between hearing about it and seeing the group was enormous. And if I'm intimidate by this, how are my people handling it?

Neiermeier, at least, was as resilient as ever. I wonder if there's anything that intimidates him? The ex-police officer was actually smiling!

"It's a beautiful sight, isn't it?" Sergeant Neiermeier asked, gray and lean beneath the broad brimmed hat that all the ex-OPP officers following George still wore. It was almost a study in contrasts, the old sergeant formally dressed, his pants creased to a razor's edge, compared to George's own jeans and a slightly wrinkled T-shirt an a body that most of the folks here would've described as "All American", even though it wasn't.

Behind them, the bolder of their people started talking to the other locals. The three Omas--It's a Kodak moment! They aren't at each other's throats for once!--were coaxing some of the younger ladies forward with their offerings of baked cakes and three cases of George's supply of canned Coca-Cola.

George took one last glance at his people, then shook his head, and turned back to their hosts. With a sigh, the large man his people still called "Rushing Mountain" walked forward, with a shyness that was almost comedic.

"Not nearly so new as you think." Dan's smile faded immediately. The people of that Enclave, Well, He and Fox had contingencies what seemed like long ago. If they'd gone back to their ways, they'd have ended up like the prison.

"We have history with them, not the best in fact. I'm surprised to see them here at all, tell the truth." Along with Jasmyne he'd gone back to help secure them, and protected them from raiders, months before.

"I wonder how they're doing now, alone on the road with Simon and Bond."

A touch of melancholy tinged his voice. "I miss Priest at times like this, I had hoped we could have seen him again before this relocation."

Then he returned to the present, and nodded. "Sorry, Didn't mean to wander off there. As far as I know the Island is safe and secure. I'm sure we can find a place for a greenhouse, especially for you Doctor."

Sarah patted Dan's shoulder reassuringly at his sudden melancholy, sipping her punch before spotting the 'angel' and thus spotting Captain Fox, "Oh, there he is. Be on hand to snag his attention when, Gabriel, I think, is done with him and you could be in business."

She commented wryly, adjusting her mask on her head to move a lock of hair out of her face, "You're going to have to get me to sit down long enough to get more of the history of this place down pat. Things like James aparently detonating wired explosives by pulling them out of a wall if I remember that rumor correctly."

"Don't think I've met a James yet, except for James O'Malley who's bunking over in the dorm there I think. But he's not a para-human, used to be an accountant? Anyway... James sounds like a tough fellow. You're lucky to have so many para-humans at the Refuge." he said.

"I imagine that there is alot to tell, maybe when we have the chance to sit down I'll chronicle it for you. I'm also making copies of sections of my notes I don't like to spread around what para human traits I have, but its no secret - I can be in several places at once. So really, when either of you can spare the time I am there."

"You won't. He went to Olympus with some of the others." He nodded. "I can understand the need to keep some things close, Suprise is always a great tactical advantage."

He smiled to Sarah. "The history would make a good movie I think. Nothing Oscar-worthy, but extremely entertaining to the what was the modern movie-going public."

The blonde megamorph had to shake her head at the movie idea, thinking of the cinema trash she had eaten up with her friends back before Z-day, the endless sequels and remakes and horribly executed 'original' ideas coming out of Hollywood. They'd find some way to mess up even so new an idea as superheroes versus zombies.

"Oh, my gifts are obvious, especially if you take a look at the one or two pictures of myself I saved from before. I'm not allowed to use the most obvious one at Doctor Myf's orders for the duration, though. She had no idea what effect it might have," Sarah answered seriously, resting one hand on her stomach with a pensive exhalation.

"That is a very prudent precaution - no telling if pregnancy is a well adapted function in para-humans. Given the wide range of physical, anatomical, and 'other' variations that seem possible. Its probably best to handle things case by case." said Varro.

... and considering the whole Olympus things "Olympus. Not that I don't have stories, but I've been pretty much flying solo for the last while.. A few visits to enclaves, helping out here and there in return for modest trade ... usually to get information. It sounds, though that there has been quite a bit of drama with the refuge. Well, drama isn't the right word ... excitement and turmoil? Activity?"

... Fox would be dancing for a while, besides ... he had all night. Perfect time to get to know these nice folks ...

Cherry intercepted George before he’d gone too far. With a smile and a wink, she asked, “Would you like to dance?”

“I thought I’d make introductions, first,” George said.

“Be easier with a pretty girl on your arm,” Cherry told him with a sparkle in her eye. “Besides, I’d better stake a claim before some of the other lookers around here get their claws into you.”

“Uh,” George said, flushing a little as she grabbed his hand. Behind him, he could hear Neiermeier laughing about something. He wasn’t sure it was about him, but he still blushed harder. Cherry pulled him to a group of three people: a heavily muscled man, an exceptionally tall woman and a normal-looking man all talking together. “Hi, I’m Cherry and this is George,” the pretty girl bubbled. “Can we butt into your conversation and make friends?”

Meanwhile, Fox grinned his vulpine smile and took Gabrielle’s hand. “I’d be honored,” he told her, moving to the cleared area for a dance. “This is a nice gesture,” he murmured to her as the music covered their soft conversation. “Good to show unity.”

Her smiled showed she understood and agreed with him, but her words were a surprising tease, "And here I thought I was just being a modern woman, asking a man to dance." Fox annoyed and worried her at times, but when you were face to face with him it was hard not to like him. It was also a little hard not feel overwhelmed by him; he reminded her of her father (a younger, much better looking version of her father), but, given everything that had happened since Z-day, that was a....complicated....compliment at best.

She glanced around as she and Fox danced, relieved to see most of the others starting to mingle. She grinned and hid her chuckle from Cherry and George with a well-placed wing. "But yes, it is a good show of unity. Hopefully, more than a show at some point soon?" Her storm-cloud blue eyes were far more mature than the young body they were attached to and her expression was more neutral, more serious than he remembered seeing from her outside of the arguments they had had before she left. Something had changed since the two leaders had parted; there was more strength to the winged teen, a maturity that had settled into her bones and her bearing.

Caleb was leaning up against the wall of one of the nearby houses, glowering at Fox as the two of them danced. Several of the more confident girls from the island had already tried to pull him out on the dance floor, but he shook his head and muttered something about "being on duty". Jacobs was back in Columbia with Victoria, heading up the security there for those that had decided to wait for the Feast of All Saints instead of going to the Holloween party; some had stayed away because of their faith, others simply because they wanted someone else to go check out the possible new enclave and its people before stepping through a wormhole and being trapped on an island. Jack, of course, was in a fine form; he'd already gathered most of the children around one of the campfires and was regaling them with (rather liberally interpreted) Halloween tales. Most of them were movie plots, but there were a few old camping classics and even one eerie song the drifted over the crackling fire.

"Uh, h-hi!" George stuttered "I'm George." The sprightly redhead on his arm leaned into him and giggled, and his blush deepened he realized she'd just said that.

"Uhm, nice place you've got here?" The statement sounded like a question, and the large man looked like if he was any more embarassed, he'd probably pass out from lack of blood to the brain. He took a (rather deep) breath, and slowly exhaled.

"I think he's just overwhelmed by all of this," Cherry offered, her eyes sparkling. "He's sort of been dealing with the zed problem without any special help for a while, and I gather Gabrielle was the first person he'd run across who was also a super. He's really quite nice once you can get him talking in full sentences, and handy at taking care of all sorts of problems." She leaned over to the blonde, and put a hand between her mouth and George, before stage whispering: "I think he's actually forgotten how to relax. You know how they get when they think they're responsible for everything!" Then she looked back at the hulking man and winked and patted his hand.

- - -

Sergeant Neiermeier, meanwhile, seeing that everything was okay with the "civilians" in his group, and that the officers were refraining from enjoying things they shouldn't be, noticed two things. The first was that the three Babushkas were co-operating tonight. We chuckled quietly. I guess they're in defensive mode until they figure out what the lay of the land is here. Hopefully that'll last a good long time. He knew they didn't tend to cause any real problems, but none of the three women could help but meddle when things weren't going the way they believed things ought to be going.

The second was that Caleb seemed to be his usual sour self. Far be it for me to tell him what to do, but there is a man who needs to get over something sometime real soon. While walking over to him, Neiermeier noticed that the man was once again looking in the direction of Gabrielle. All the more so, when he wants nothing more than to answer the call of his mistress' voice.

"Hello Caleb," the sergeant offered. "I reckon you alread know some of these people. Anything I should know about?"

Archived