Amazon Kindle

jameson (ST)

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/28/technology/amazon_tablet/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

Amazon just slapped Apple in the face. A $200 tablet??!! Even if its not the best out there it has the price point to compete. And Amazon has the mp3s and digital video to possibly compete in that way as well. Love it.

An $80 kindle!! holy crap! I love what they are doing with their B&W e-ink kindles, continuing to drop the prices aggressively and push for a transition away from paper books to electronic on a very readible media. I haven't taken the plunge yet in part because I love books, but if the prices continue to fall and the quality of the e-ink display and device continue to stay high I may have to take a dip eventually.

My in-laws got me the second version of Kindle for Christmas last year or the year before. It's a great reader, especially for travelling when you don't have a bookshelf handy. I don't use it all that often, but my husband does. I'm going to ask them for the Kindle Fire this year; with all the extras on it, it's like having a (non-gaming) laptop that weighs less than a pound!

My mother in law has a Kindle, and she loves it. Kindles especially are extremely user-friendly, not even requiring internet-browsing experience to operate. If they could operate the basic functions of a cellphone, they could operate a Kindle.

Turn on

Select Title

Read

turn page

read

rinse repeat as desired.

I was reading over the spec's of the new Kindle generation and while they look good, I'm not sure they have enough to warrant me upgrading...turning pages by tapping instead of a button isn't that big of a deal to me.

The new Fire is just another color tablet, its not e-ink like the other Kindles. The pricing is nice though, it will certainly give Apple pause.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why the Kindle Touch was a such a big deal myself. I guess because they can make the overall footprint smaller without having buttons and a keyboard.

The nice thing about the Fire is that while, yes, it is "just another color tablet" it comes at a price point that has only been seen by 4th tier companies (or worse) with products that were clearly out there to capitalize on the "I want it" rush without needing long term support. Amazon is the first of the really big companies to put something out at this size and cost combo that I have seen. If the display is anything like the Blackberry Playbook (which I hear this is based off of) than they will have an excellent platform for streaming video.

I have to admit, I didn't go with a Kindle because I was waiting for a good, solid color e-reader at the time so that I could not only read books, but design magazines as well. (Admit it... "Ooo, let's take a look at this seasons new color trends. Aren't those some beautiful shades of grey?!" ...just doesn't cut it!) So I waited until the Nook was released in color. I considered an iPad, but thought "I'm using this primarily for reading, maybe some basic web-surfing and email, and that's about it.. I don't need to spend the extra $200 on an iPad when the Nook Color will serve me just as well."

HAH!

Piece of fucking shit. I've had to make them replace it for me four times in the less than a year I've had it. It was the gift I asked my Mom for, for Christmas last year. This last time I had to go above and beyond technical support, get someone in customer service, and they sent me a new (instead of refurbished one), and gave me the extended warranty for an additional year. Which wasn't really what I actually wanted - I wanted my money back, so I could go out and buy a MOTHER FUCKING IPAD like I should have done in the first goddamned place!!! I NEVER have these kinds of problems with Apple products, and the first time I try and cut corners financially and get something "almost as good"? FUCKING HAH.

Yeah, that's right. I'm a member of the cult of Mac, bitches, and this situation has only reinforced that belief. Here I went in, thinking I was going to get a good product for a better price, and I got something that's a piece of dirt. I'll keep it through the extended warranty cause I might as well get the $200 my Mom put into it for me, but after that? That's right.. back to Apple. I should have known better in the first place.

*cough* Okay. I think that's all now. I'll return to my normally tame and lovable self. I've vented my fury. :D

Archived