World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 10: Heart to HeartStone

Dawn OOC

Seeing the students were arming themselves, Yithaja ducked outside. She nodded to the gathering students before turning toward the mounts waiting. The buffa-corns, as Sean had taken to calling them, were already saddled and bridled; the tack was all heavy leather. The saddles were doubled with two seats covering the long back. Noticing Swan's stare, Yithaja noted, "They like the taste of Caramine. I would stay back."

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan reluctantly located a rack of throwing weapons; spikes, blades, short batons, and the like. "Umm, do I hafta, like, pay fer these or sumthin'?"

"Guess tha's a no. Aight then." Ryan was familiar with basic juggling, enough that he felt comfortable judging the weight and balance of the weapons before him. The Spikes were weighted toward the back, naturally, and would be best thrown without rotation, more like a very large dart. The batons were impressive, they had a near perfect balance with the center of mass in the middle where the weapons were slightly fatter. Knives balanced for both throwing styles were found, but Ryan grabbed those weighted for a tumbling throw. A handful of discuss and ring like objects caught his eye as well and he couldn't help but grab one the chakrams. He tucked away some of the weapons, putting the batons in his back pockets and tucking the rest into his belt or hanging off his backpack. He kept four batons in hand and started to juggle them. Whistling to himself he started for the door.

Renata watched Ryan, since he seemed to have some idea of how to throw weapons. Or he might be a huge fraud. Ren had no idea. She'd bought a shuriken once when she was full of zeal in her martial arts lessons, but she'd never gotten it to really work.

But NOW...

She grinned and scooped up a handful of little spiked metal wheels...then jogged over to the door and poked her head out.

"Hey, Yithaja? Do you have anything like this...only bigger?" She held out a sawbladed shuriken for the amazon to see. "Like, way bigger. Like this." She held her hands about a foot apart.

"You want a sharpened hubcap?" Rosa had been silent until now, but Renata's request was enough to jar her out of her quiet fugue.

"Not... exactly," Renanta said with only a touch of sarcasm, "as a hubcap would be fairly non-aerodynamic."

"Yes," Yithaja said, butting into the conversation. "Here, Renata, come." When the girl followed her, Yithaja led her back inside to a rack of throwing stars. "One of those should fit your need."

She arrived at the hut with Ravi leading the way, and he politely opened the door and beckoned her in. Since he wasn't in need of armor or weapons, being naturally equipped with both, he stayed outside for now. He didn't quite feel like dealing with the rest of the students just yet. So Frida stepped in by herself, and began to browse the room. Unlike the others that Ryan had taken note of, Frida was more drawn to the armor than the arms, at least initially. Her primary concern was practical.. warmth. The temperature had started to dip overnight, and the brisk cold of the previous evening had dropped down even further today to a more bitter version of winter weather.

She wandered for a bit amongst the armor for a bit, looking unsure of herself. Finally, she turned to Yithaja, who had just returned from showing Renata the rack of throwing starts.

"Excuse me.. I don't mean to bother you, but.. I know very little about arming oneself, and thought perhaps asking an expert in the matter might be a wiser course of action. I must confess I have little intention of fighting if I can avoid it - I am an artist, not even an athlete or someone resembling a warrior where we come from. I am afraid I would only get in the way should I try. I thought perhaps something warmer that will be easy to move around in as we travel, and that will perhaps offer a bit of protection should I find myself in need of it... and maybe I could carry a knife or dagger of some sort. I don't know that I find myself in a situation to make use of it, but perhaps I could learn a little about how to hold it properly, in case I find myself in need in these strange lands of yours."

"But I was just HERE," Ren complained, showing off the stars she's already swiped. "I didn't see...oh." She trailed off when Yithaja, her face a stoic mask, led Renata just one set of shelves over to where other throwing implements were stacked.

The Chideran picked up a ring of metal about the circumference of a Frisbee, with a sharpened outer edge. "This is called a chakram," she began...but Renata had already found something else. A device consisting of five spokes radiating out in a spiral shape from a central hub. Each spoke was tipped with a small curved knife. Yithaja sighed "That is very difficult to use correctly. It requres great force, and great finesse."

"Perfect," decided Renata. Yithaja blew an annoyed snort and turned to leave the girl to her toy. She never saw Frida coming.

Ren turned away as Yithaja went off, and there she spied someone she hadn't before. Clad in white hides and looking at bows was Mari...and some other girl with red hair. They seemed to be getting along rather famously too...but Renata bore down on the spurt of jealousy. It was mental. Mari got along with everyone. If she got pissed off every time it happened, then she'd be one of those psycho nutters who kept their girlfriends locked up at home all day and checked them randomly to make sure they never talked to anyone else.

Ugh.

With a little shudder inside at the ugliness of that vision, Renata went over to the two girls.

"Hey Mari!" she called as she got close. "I didn't even see you, how long have you been here?" She nodded at the redhead and added, "I'm Renata, hi." An offered handshake sealed the deal.

Autumn didn't have much time to do more than offer a return smile and greeting before Renata leaned over to haul Mari over by her white leather tunic.

"Sorry," she apologized, "I can't stay and chat. Mari and me have to practice."

Mari protested, "But I don't even have a bow yet."

Renata released Mari, who offered Autumn a meekly apologetic smile. After a second of inspecting the lineup of bows, Ren grabbed a small recurved one made of polished, springy wood and handed it to Mari.

"Here. Grab some arrows and lets go."

"It was really nice meeting you," Mari told the redhead graciously as she pulled a handful of arrows out of the barrel. "I hope...bye!"

She gave Ren a reproachful look as the older girl pulled her away. "You don't have to be so mean about it," she complained.

Renata grinned and looked back at Mari. "This'll be way more fun. Check it out." She held up the spiral bladed throwing weapon. "I don't even know what it's called, but it looks wicked! I can't wait to try it."

Sean gave Renata an awkward shrug when she claimed the Amazons were only doing for him and for the mention of Swan kicking his ass. He didn't want to disparage Swan's fighting skills, but he didn't like the thought of losing a fight to a girl either. On the other hand, most of these Chiderans looked like they could eat an entire football offensive line for breakfast.

Shaking his head, Sean headed out of the armory, giving Frida a commiserating smile as she endured Yithaja, then eyed the paraphernalia hanging off Ryan as he exited the door, juggling a quartet of batons. "I have the tits, but it looks like you're the one tryin' out for the Cheerleaders, twirlin' those batons," commented with a look down and a self-deprecating smirk. Seeing the look in Ryan's eyes as he glanced at the apparent Chideran with short, black hair and wearing form-fitting studded leather armour, Sean sighed. "Yes, Ryan, it's me. Sean. Ugh! Stop lookin' at me like that! Get outta the way."

Sean squeezed around Ryan and approached Swan, holding out the sword he hand chosen for her. "Hope this one's okay, Swan, I didn't know-" Sean stiffened, just noticing Ravi lounging against the wall of the armory. Not wanting to start anything, he took a deep breath and turned to back to Swan, handing her the sword. "Here."

Swan took the sword, slipping it from the sheath with one smooth motion. Tasting the balance, she frowned and Sean caught some mutters about the balance the typically tall and strong Chiderans preferred. Sean didn't see what the problem was, from what he could see, she was swinging and thrusting with the thing just fine. The Chiderans bracketing the door of the armory frowned, but didn't interfere as Swan buckled the sword belt around her waist.

"It will suffice," Swan told him grudgingly, but softening it with a faint smile. Sean was a warrior, yet knew so little of weaponry - she found this odd, yet oddly appealing as well.

"Oh, good. Uh, are we riding those buffa-corn things?" Sean asked uncertainly, seeing the saddles on the massive, hairy beasts.

"You are. For me, I am not so sure," Swan replied, giving the beasts a wary glare.

"Well, if you're walkin, I'm walkin' too," Sean said. "I've never ridden a horse or anything before anyway. And whatever I look like now, I still don't understand girls and their love or horses and unicorns."

"Huh. Sean's my freind's name too! He's not here right now though ... actually I dunno where he is." Ryan looked around for a bit and then shrugged, "Coulda swore he came with." Ryan ambled in Sean's wake, the batons caught in either had and stuffed through his backpack straps, "So, umm, somebody musta pointed me out to ya, eh? You like what ya see? 'Cause I can' complain 'bout tha view ova here."

"I agree, the view's not bad." came the purring drawl from where Ravi was leaning against the wall of the armory with one hand up before his eyes, flicking his claws in and out and examining the way the tips of his fingers became solid black talons. His green-gold eyes glittered in the sunlight as he smiled over at Ryan and Sean, his fingers untensing and and sheathing the wickedly sharp claws before he tensed them again, causing the slightly hooked implements to spring into view once more.

"You should be careful there, Ryan." Ravi said seriously, his shining eyes wide with false concern. "I hear that Chiderans can take advances the wrong way. You wouldn't want that - she looks like a handful." A slow grin outshone the sunlight on the snow. "Or several handfuls, come to that."

Sean scowled at his friends - Why are they my friends, again? - folding his arms across his chest and giving Ryan a dark look that clearly demanded: Are you really this much of an idiot? The worst part was he couldn't tell if Ryan was being serious or just putting him on. Ryan's expectant grin stayed firmly in place, he even waggled his eyebrows at him as he gave him another impressed once-over, whistling softly at the sight. Ravi's smile smoldered even more and it wasn't totally false concern widening his eyes. Sean's scowl deepened, could almost called a pout with those full lips and stunning - femininely stunning - face.

"Not handfuls," Ryan stage-whispered, leaning towards Ravi slightly, but his eyes not straying from the new Chideran. "Bucketfuls, dude. Buckets!"

"Oh, fer fuck's sake, they're not-" Sean stopped in mid-rant as he looked down. With his arms fold beneath his boobs, his impressive contours were prominently emphasized, and from this angle and sheathed in leather, they looked fuckin' huge. Admittedly, his perspective might have been exaggerated by the unfamiliar sight, but still... Realizing Ryan and Ravi were still staring at him while he ogled himself, Sean growled and unfolded his arms, then, not knowing what to do with them, held them rigidly at his side, his hands balled into fists.

His deep blue eyes widened with a sudden thought. For an instant, he considered trying to turn the tables on Ryan, but it was a short instant. He just couldn't bring himself to do it. Not now, it was too soon, maybe after he had a bit more time getting used to it, to them. And what if Ryan didn't swerve from this game of Chicken? No... just, no.

"Fuck you guys," Sean snarled, but he didn't really sound angry at them, more angry at himself, at the circumstance. One of their friends, someone they had shared a locker-room with, was suddenly a hot chick. How could they have ignored the opportunity, how could he have expected them to? He grunted a self-deprecating chuckle, tainted with bitterness. "This... isn't gonna stop anytime soon, is it?"

"Probably not." Ravi allowed, still grinning. Now, though, his smile had a touch less malice about it. "We're all different now. Whether it's because of the Door, or whether we were drawn to the Door because of our difference, we can't really fight it. I'm a werepanther, and probably always have been without knowing it. You're a Chideran, and it took coming here for your genes to express. You might as well get used to it, because it's a fifty-fifty chance that even if you do go back through the door, you won't change now." He shrugged at the stare Sean levelled on him. "I said fifty-fifty. It would make a certain level of sense for elements of the change to be permanent."

"Dude, that is so not funny." Sean told him, but without anger. Ravi didn't look like he was joking.

"Consider." he shrugged. "My appearance has changed a little here, to reflect what I am inside. So far this-" and he held a hand up, flexed his fingers and displayed his claws "-is the only part of my change I can control consciously. Maybe I won't be able to control when I change into a panther for awhile. Maybe it'll always be a reaction." He made a face at that - it was plain to his friends that Ravi didn't like that idea at all. "We have to adapt and adjust to the fact that we have changed, and our friends have changed, and things are not the same anymore." He smiled at Sean then, a genuine smile.

"For what it's worth, you're handling your own change well. Better than some might."

Ryan's head oscillated like a stand fan, "Huh?" He scratched an itch on his leg with a steel throwing spike. "I ain't diffr'nt. Yeah, you got claws 'n stuff now, but I dunno ifn tha' counts. 'Cause you're a panther an' all. But I'm the same ol' me an' ... umm, Sean's prolly the same wherever he is. An' Swan looks tha same." Ryan looked at Sean, "Sorry hun, but I don' 'member you frum school so I dunno if you look diff'nt." He shrugged, "So I dunno." He smiled at Sean, "But ifn ya want me ta give ya a closer look..."

"It might stop if you started hitting on them," Lucia's voice came from the doorway to the armory. She'd and her cohorts had already picked out armor, light leathers that they could handle the weight of and still move, and Lucia had finished picking out her assortment of I-sort-of-know-how-to-use-this weaponry (a bow and quiver, a dirk, and a small hunting knife). She looked positively medieval now, with her black tendrils making tattoo-like patterns over the unadorned leather. "Although I doubt that in Ravi's case." Her eyes flicked over to the smirking werepanther, a small smile letting him know she was teasing. Mostly.

"It would actually stop faster if you did two things." She crossed her arms and leaned up against the frame of the door. "The first would be to ignore them. The second would be to realize that being female is not inferior to being male. You're still acting like you've suddenly dropped a rung on the evolutionary ladder. That makes it easier to pick on you, and keeps any of your now fellow females from wanting to help you. It's like screaming 'you hit like a girl' at the top of your lungs every time someone notices you have breasts now."

"You can't change what's happened, and going back to Earth or to any other world with a Door may or may not change you back to a male. Either way, you need to come to terms with the fact that you have a Chideran ancestry and that a part of you is and always will be female. Just like I have to deal with the fact that I look like a monster out of a Lovecraft novel and...." she stopped and took a breath. Fair's fair, if you going to make him face hard truths you're a hypocrite if you don't do the same. "And my moral compass seems to be in a spin. You've got to remember that running without support is going to hurt and that guys are going to think your eyes are on your chest instead of your face. Ravi has to remember that losing his temper might mean killing someone. Ditto for Dorne, though she seems to be in more control of herself so far. I don't know about the others. I've got to check and recheck my own thoughts just to make sure I'm not becoming some Lovecraft horror."

She nodded to Sean, her hands on her hips now, "So, what's it going to be? Are you going to keep whining about your heritage or take it for what it's worth? I think that's something you need to have figured out before this ceremony we're going to, 'cause I doubt you'll pass it, maybe even not survive it from how serious it sounds, if you can't or won't accept this," she motioned towards 'his' chest, "part of yourself."

She turned her face away from him for a brief second and let her hands drop; she looked back without quite meeting Sean's eyes, running a hand through her hair and flushing. "Sorry, I'm lecturing like an arrogant twit, aren't I?"

"Yeah, you are, a bit at least," Sean agreed with a tight, wry grin, shifting his weight to his other foot, but he nodded. "But you're right, I do hafta deal with with my new self - regardless if I'll ever change back to a man." His sapphire eyes narrowed and his voice hardened. "And I've never thought of women as being less. If nothing else, my mother saw to that. Just remember, Ravi first changed 'bout a week ago." He gave Ravi a nod, thanking him for his earlier compliment, then gestured at Lucia. "And you said you've been wondering on th'otherside of the Door for a couple a' weeks, right? Well, six, seven hours ago, I walked through that Door and bam! Instant sex-change. Surprise! Let me bitch and whine a bit, and if I don't get over it, well, I hope I can deal with it enough to do what I hafta do."

Sean sighed, then snorted a chuckle. "I can't imagine what you're goin' through Lucia, afraid you're not thinkin' like yourself anymore, same with you Ravi. I have a temper, but I've always been stronger than most, so I've learned to stomp down on it. But you also have another point, Lucia - I am scared I'll 'hit like a girl.' I'm an athlete, and without being modest, I'm a good one. I'm arguably the best player on the football team and I've been boxing since I was eleven. So I know how my body moves, what to expect and how far I can push it. Or I did. I feel like a stranger in my own skin, and it moves nothing like it's supposed to. I'll admit, I've been gettin' used it - that part at least - faster than I've been expectin,' but I dunno if I'll be able to fight as well as I used to. I'm hopin' this ritual thing will help me... adjust."

Sean cupped his tits - as much as he could, Ravi and Ryan were right, they were more than a handful - heaving them up then letting them bounce. "Don't really have a choice 'bout acceptin' these, do I? I can feel 'em after all. Just gonna need some time to adjust to 'em, and to how others will relate to me no-" Sean frowned. "Do we - guys I mean - really stare at boobs that much, even when we're talkin' to you?" I wasn't that bad, was i?

Lucia smirked. "I assure you, Sean, with the way you're built, you'll find out."

"You're probably right," Sean sighed, but then straightened up, squaring his shoulders. Lucia was right and throwing it in his face actually helped, some at least. So did Ravi's words - like guys, they had moved on from their confrontation in the mess hall without actually needing to say they were sorry or whatever. He just had to stop letting them bait him so easily. Maybe he could turn the tables on Ryan a little.

Sean turned to Ryan, thrusting out his chest and giving him a wide smile. "Tell ya what, Ryan, I'll let you get as close a look as you want," Sean promised in an exaggeratedly sultry voice - shivering a bit at the phone-sex operator voice coming from his mouth - then waving at Ryan's crotch. "But first, ya gotta show me what you're packin.' Right here and now." In the cold, and the inevitable shrinkage.

Mari gave the weapon in Renata’s hand a dubious look. “Uh,” she started uncertainly. Renata hauled her back around the armory, whisking her past Ravi, Ryan, and Sean before Mari could manage much more than a startled glance back over her shoulder, “that looks really…” Mari hesitated as Renata dragged her into the middle of a snow covered copse of trees and finally released her, “pointy.”

“Yeah. It’s supposed to be pointy.” Renata held her mysterious death circlet, carefully turning it over in her hands. The thing seemed to have a million edges, and the sunlight caught them all, making the weapon shine fiercely. The way Renata was grinning appreciatively at the murderous implement was a bit concerning to Mari. “Let’s give it a name. How about Happy Stabby Circle?” Renata asked.

“S-suurre.” Mari blinked. “That’s um…that’s a great name.”

“So. Shoot your bow at something.” Renata urged, “Let’s see you hit that tree.” Renata pointed vaguely at one of the many trees.

“What tree?” Mari asked.

“That one, over there. The one with all the branches.”

Mari shot Renata a long-suffering look. She raised the short recurve bow up, trying to keep her left arm straight and line up the arrow with her right hand, like she had seen Kevin Costner do in Robin Hood. It was easier than it looked. The bow wobbled and the string was really hard to pull back and the arrow head kept dipping up and down.

“Yeah, good, like that, shoot the fuck out of that tree, Mari. Do it. Do it for fucking justice.” Renata cheered her on.

Mari giggle-snorted helplessly.

“Let prudence be your nail!” Renata clenched her fist.

The bowstring twanged and half a heart-beat later both girls heard the THUNK of the arrow burying itself in the tree.

“Holy shit, you actually hit it!” Renata jogged over to the tree where the arrow still quivered in the bark.

Mari’s astonishment overshadowed that of her friend. She stood staring, bewildered and wide-eyed, at the wounded tree. “No way…” she breathed out.

“Way.” Renata grinned, slowly. “Now it’s my turn.”

Mari’s amazing bowshot of the moon:

8d10.hits(8)=3

Height: 5'1", Weight: 102 lbs, Hair: Dark brown, Eyes: Hazel, Striking looks 4, Dexterity 4, Presence 4

With some ceremony, Renata set the Pinwheel of Doom upon the palm of her hand and stared at it fixedly.

After a few seconds Mari shifted her stare from it to Renata's face. She sensed something was supposed to be happening and was a little uncomfortable that nothing was. "Re..."

"Just a second!" Renata snapped, scowling at the reluctant thing in her hand. "It's...harder than I thought. I've never really tried to do this on purpose before."

"Oh," Mari replied faintly. She hoped Renata wasn't going mad. She'd still want to be friends, but...well she just really hoped.

And then the air around them suddenly dropped in temperature, from 'obnoxiously cold' down towards 'dangerously cold.' Even through leathers and furs, the bite could be felt. But Mari wasn't thinking about that. Her attention was fixed, astonished, on the Pinwheel of Doom.

It was slowly rising up over Renata's hand. "That's it," she muttered, voice strained as if carrying a heavy rock. "That's the stuff."

"Renata," Mari gasped. "Is that you?! How are you doing that?!"

The Pinwheel started to rotate slowly, but speeding up. Renata grinned grimly. "It's getting easier. What? How? Fuck if I know. It's like...I look at something until I feel like I can feel it in my head. It's shape and, you know, how smooth it is or whatever. It's weight. Then I just sort of picture it moving. But it's a little easier if I imagine hands...like invisible hands...moving it. I guess I'm just used to using hands or something."

The Pinwheel was spinning very quickly now, making a gentle whirring noise as its blades sliced through the frigid air. Mari shuffled back a step uneasily. It was easy to imagine that thing suddenly gliding at her, ripping flesh as it went. "Why did it get so cold? Was that you too?"

Renata shrugged. "Dunno. Okay, lets do this." She made a gentle throwing gesture with the hand the Pinwheel was hovering over...and the Pinwheel obediently moved back, then popped forward...about five feet before falling into the snow. When it hit the ground spinning it launched sideways and cartwheeled over the snowcapped grass until Renata caught up with it and grabbed it.

At the mirth in Mari's eyes she shrugged defensively and pointed out, "First try, okay? This is totally different than throwing something with my arms."

She practiced several more times, with the power at her command growing visibly stronger as it exerted more force each time. After a handful of often comic mistakes, she was able to hold the spinning blades strongly enough that she could use the Pinwheel to cut a horizontal slash into a tree trunk by using it like a sawblade. She then drew it back and hurled it at a tree...where one of the knives caught and burrowed in deep, and it hung there. All without ever touching it.

Mari cheered and pumped her bow into the air. "That was awesome!" she declared...but the words in her mouth died suddenly, and she got the strangest look on her face. "Renata? Something's happening. Is that you?"

Ren smirked and took her mind off of Mari's rear end, shifting her focus. A moment later Mari let out a startled yelp as she rose slowly into the air!

It took Renata a moment to get used to her size and weight. The 'hands' in her head gave her a little tactile feedback...enough to be aware of Mari's shape, which was driving her crazy. She lifted Mari up, grinning as the other girl's yelp changed to a delighted giggle...and then a whoop.

"Omigod, I'm flying! Look at me!" Her words were punctuated by girlish screams of wonder and delight as Renata swooped her gently around, close enough to reach out and touch a tree's rough bark. Finally Renata set Mari down, only to have the smaller girl run back over to her, hopping up and down with frantic energy.

"Do it again! One more time, pleeeeeeeease?"

Renata grinned. Once again, something invisible slid over Mari, making her squirm. It had no texture, it wasn't solid...but she could feel something. If she'd known that Renata could feel her through that presence too, perhaps she'd have lost some enthusiasm. But perhaps not...as she lifted off again, she playfully assumed a 'Superman' pose with one hand out before her and one over her heart.

It didn't take long though for Renata to feel something change. The invisible hands were becoming insubstantial too; losing their grip on Mari slowly but surely. When she set Mari down again, a drained, empty feeling settled over her...like she'd run a race she wasn't ready for yet. Mari wound up falling for the last couple of feet...but fortunately Ren had been putting her down right next to herself...and she was ready to catch Mari. Or would have been if not for that weakness. Thus, they both tumbled down to the ground and wound up a tangled mass of arms and legs and snow.

Sean turned to Ryan, thrusting out his chest and giving him a wide smile. "Tell ya what, Ryan, I'll let you get as close a look as you want," Sean promised in an exaggeratedly sultry voice - shivering a bit at the phone-sex operator voice coming from his mouth - then waving at Ryan's crotch. "But first, ya gotta show me what you're packin.' Right here and now." In the cold, and the inevitable shrinkage.

A slow grim crept across Ryan's face, equal parts amusement and malicious glee. "So," he said, reaching for his belt, "If I drop trou' you do likewise? Righ' 'ere an' now?" Ryan considered what he knew of Sean, and how likely he was to honor the wager.

Sean swallowed hard, trying not to show his sudden unease. "Yeah," he said, betting that Ryan really wouldn't.

Zip. He wagered wrong.

"Aight chicka," Ryan said, slipping his belt open and popping his the button on his cargo pants. "You. Are. On." His pants slipped down leaving him in his boxers, his legs showing between the two to be strong and lean.

"You bastard."

"Heh, naw, I'm jus' not sumbuddy ta make a dare with." Ryan pushed his boxers down and then stood, hands on his hips, "Ain't tha' cold. Been in worse on tha Aspen slopes, an' X-games." Sean found herself confronted with Ryan's manhood, which he/she had to admit was impressive despite the cold. It was one thing to know a buddy had balls, but something else to see them. She turned away. Swan didn't. "Aight," Ryan said bending over to draw his clothing up, "Your turn babe. I ain't cruel tho', ifn ya wanna go inside one ah dese 'ere huts jus' say tha word." He zipped up, did up his belt and grinned.

Into the silence, Ahvia asked, "Is that male ill? Why is his penis hanging outside his body like that?" She founded faintly disgusted.

Rosa wasn't looking; she'd averted her eyes before Ryan's trousers hit the snow. Swan made a gesture, sweeping her hands wide; coupled with the look on her face, it seemed to say, Way to go.

Ravi started laughing. He couldn't help it - the scene was so typically Ryan, yet the surroundings made it ridiculously surreal. The usually elegant nobleman lost his cool poise and laughed like a boy, strange eyes flashing in the morning sun and his darkly-handsome features suddenly looking their age. Ahvia's question kept him chuckling, though not in a cruel way, as he pushed off the wall and sauntered over to the little knot of her, Rosa and Lucia.

"Ours do that, I'm afraid." he answered Ahvia smoothly, eyes still glittering with mirth. "You're right though - it does rather look like some Creator got us finished, then went-" and Ravi mimed face-palming. "'Oh damn, I've forgotten the reproductive organs. Oh well, I'll just tack them on the outside, no-one will notice. Hopefully.'" He smiled dazzlingly at her. "Scant chance, hmm? To be serious, I think there's important biological reasons to do with cooling, but it's small wonder there's so many jokes about penises where we come from."

"And speaking of..." he grinned slyly and looked at Sean as he/she tried to compose his/her self, then glanced sideways at Lucia and Co. "Sean must really be slipping, daring Ryan to do anything with his own dignity as the stake..."

"Fuck." Fuuuuuuuucccccck! The full, frontal view of what he was now missing between his legs was a slap in the face, doubly so for what it dared.

The glare Sean directed at Ryan should have reduced him to a smoldering heap, not make his grin even more cocky - and that was an unfortunate word to think. His jaw clenched painfully tight, nostrils flaring - for a moment Ryan wondered if he was going to get punched in the face by a girl. Ryan had manned up and Sean wasn't going to let anyone say he pussied out. Why the hell did I make that dare. Why the hell did I think I would win?

"A bet's a bet," he ground out with poor grace as he reached back and started working on the buckles of his armour. "And Ryan... don't call me babe."

Hiding her eager grin from Sean, Swan moved up behind the out-maneuvered Amazon and helped him with the buckles... purely in the interest of aiding him fulfill his obligations and not for any other reasons, of course. Sean pulled the embossed, boiled leather cuirass off, over his head and shoulders, then unlaced the snug leather shirt he wore underneath and pulled it aside. Under that, he was wearing just a thin undershirt, tight against his new and prominent chest, and it certainly didn't leave much to the imagination, the cold having its own obvious effects on him, on them.

"I just want you to know, dude, I really wish you die in a fire," Sean threatened. He took several deep breaths, and before he could reconsider, he yanked his shirt up and forced himself to count out five full Mississippies. And Ryan (and the others) got a view of the 'new and improved' Sean and his epic pair of tits, large and full and sitting high and proud as it they were Wile E. Coyote and hadn't realized they were jutting over empty space yet. "There. Fucker."

Ryan stared. It was only the right and proper thing to do. Then he shrugged, "Meh, I've seen better." Ryan pivoted on one foot leaving Sean with an expression between shock and indignation struggling to reply. The senior walked over to Ravi and the other girls. Conspiritorily, but loud enough to be heard anyway, he said, "Pretty nice actually, shame that Sean wasn't around to see them. She'd be pretty cute if she was a little less butch."

Lucia gave a not so delicate snort at Ryan's antics, but still turned away; with her skin it was hard to tell if she was blushing. When he came over to give his assessment of Sean's new assets, she rolled her eyes andmuttered, "Boys!" That Sean was included in her one-word summation of the gender wasn't quite the affirmation of his manhood he'd been looking for since they went through the Door.

She folded her arms again, still looking away until she was sure Sean had put his shirt back down. "Well, now that we have that comparison out of the way, are we ready to get going? Or do you boys need more time to measure?"

She was trying to sound severe, but her own amusement at the absurdity going on tinged her words with laughter.

Better? Better?! Sean stomped towards Ryan, setting his breasts to bouncing. Pornstars and strippers would kill for natural tits like - What the fuck am I thinkin'?! Sean came to an abrupt halt, his mouth dropping open at the absurd indignation coursing through him. His face reddened at Ryan's stage whisper, which deepened ever more with embarrassment with Lucia's muttered, 'Boys!'

Finally feeling the chill of the nipply - nippy, nippy! - air, Sean scowled, pulling his top back down and lacing up his leather shirt. With Swan's amused help, slipped on the studded leather cuirass over his head and retightened the fastenings. His irritation at being outmaneuvered by Ryan didn't last long, Lucia's obvious amusement making him snort at the sheer absurdity of their antics.

"I think we've both seen enough of what we're each packin,'" Sean agreed, sighing as he shrugged his packback onto his shoulders. "You got me, dude. You win, Ryan. You have way more balls than I gave ya credit for." Sean nodded at Lucia then indicated the idling Buffa-corns with a point of his chin. "I'm ready to head out and tell my mother about her new daughter. Anyone know how to mount one a' these things?"

Sean's eyes narrowed as he glanced at Ryan with what already felt like long suffering annoyance. "And I've seen 'em plenty, you dick. I'm Sean."

“You dropped me.” Mari announced matter-of-factly. She was sprawled over Renata, and she lifted herself up, and sat astride her friend’s waist, and turned her head to spit out a mouthful of snow.

Renata gazed up at Mari. She was covered in cold snow, but she felt warm and relaxed and content. Mari was sitting on her, one hand on Renata’s ribs for balance, the other busy wiping snow out of her face. There were snowflakes caught in Mari’s lashes. Renata watched Mari trying to blink them away. It filled her with tenderness, and Renata took a deep breath and sweetly said, “Maybe you should go on a diet then, you big fat-ass.”

That brought Mari’s big hazel eyes around. Renata noted with satisfaction how they widened with shocked indignation. “You’re a big fat-ass!” Mari squealed in protest, and she scooped up a big handful of snow and splatted it down on Renata’s forehead.

“Oh, you little fucking brat! You are so dead!” Mari was scrambling to get off of Renata and back to her feet, but Renata got hold of her leather tunic, and yanked her back into the snow. Mari threw a hastily formed snowball from her back that disintegrated in mid-flight and washed over Renata in a spray of powder. And then Renata dropped onto Mari and wrestled her into the snow. Mari was wrigglier, but Renata was bigger. Smothering the little freshman, Renata scooped up a big armful of snow and upended it over Mari’s face. “There!” she crowed gleefully, “now who’s fat?!”

“Yooouuu,” Mari groaned, spluttering snow out of her nose. “Get off me, I can’t breathe.”

“Do you surrender?” Renata demanded, bouncing lightly up and down.

“Okay!” Mari giggled, trying to buck Renata off in vain.

“Okay what?” Renata insisted, pinning Mari’s right arm with her thigh and reaching between them to tickle Mari’s side.

“Okay I surrender I surrender!” Mari blurted helplessly.

“Because you’re so fat? Is that why you surrender?”

“Yeeesss! I’m super fat!” Mari agreed through her fit of squirming and thrashing.

“Okay.” Renata finally stopped tickling her fallen foe. She was leaning over Mari, holding her down, her nose inches from Mari’s own as she drank in the spoils of her victory. But there was something missing yet. Mari had stopped her struggling and both girls were still and silent. Their faces were flushed from the cold and their tussling, and their silence was broken only by the sound of their breathing…

Height: 5'1", Weight: 102 lbs, Hair: Dark brown, Eyes: Hazel, Striking looks 4, Dexterity 4, Presence 4

Renata's hazel eyes were fixed on Mari's, and her gaze had a weight that pressed down on the smaller girl no less than the weight of her body. They weren't the strange iridescent green-gold of Ravi's, but something in them, in her expression, was similar. Palpably similar. Mari's heart slammed faster as she suddenly remembered the strangeness earlier, when Renata had...well...when she'd... Was she going to do it again? What should she do about it?

The smile Renata had was casual and easygoing, and Mari realized she'd hardly ever seen Renata look relaxed like that before. She was always mad about something or nervous about something or just kind of uptight. It was a pretty smile. It even gave her dimples. And the smile was getting closer, descending towards Mari and she didn't know what to do...

But then Renata shifted sideways, and her weight came off of Mari. No kiss landed. She'd just been moving to get off.

Her eyes were still on Mari's though, and they hadn't let go yet.

"You okay?" Renata asked, and Mari quickly nodded and sat up, reaching back to brush snow off the back of her head. "I'm fine."

"That was fun," confessed Renata, still smiling that dimply smile. "We ought to see if these people have invented sleds yet while Sean's doing his thing."

Mari nodded again. "Yeah," she said, feeling like she should say more, but having no idea what more to say. "That'd be fun."

Renata studied Mari for a second, then asked, "Do I freak you out now?"

"What?! No! Why would you freak me out?" Except even as she asked, Mari flashed back to the kiss. Had it been freaky? Should it have been?

"Well, with me finally getting a power and all..."

Mari felt relief wash over her. She wasn't going to mention the kiss. Not that it would be bad...she just wasn't sure what to say. She grinned girlishly, uncertainty replaced by memories of her wild ride through the air. "Your powers are awesome, Ren," she said sincerely. "They're not freaky at all."

If only she could say the same for all the students.

Renata grinned and got to her feet, then offered Mari a hand up. "So we're okay? BFF's and all that?"

"Finally," Yithaja growled, stalking forward, glad these... children were ready to begin their journey. She grabbed Sean by his arm and dragged toward one of the beasts. "Come, I will show how to ride the rhynnorm. You others, watch and listen." Sean shook his arm free from Yithaja's tight grip, then followed her up to the flank of the Buffa-corn, or 'rhynnorm.' "Do not approach the rhynnorm from the front, they will see you as prey and try to bite or gore you." Yithaja demonstrated by stepping closer to the shaggy beast's head, which made a rumbling sound as it revealed a pair of teeth that belonged nowhere near a cow-like animal. She stepped back. "Always approach from the flank or rear."

Yithaja pointed out the saddle - designed to sit two, along with saddle bags - and the two sets of stirrups, one for mounting and the other which seemed to be attached to the equivalent of the reins, leaving a rider's hands free, presumably for various sharp, metal implements. Mounting consisted simply of stepping through the loops on the mounting stirrups while holding onto a grip on the saddle, then hauling yourself up and over by the pommel. Controlling the beast was all through the stirrup-reins. "Thus and so. Now you."

Sean looked at the huge and hairy beast uncertainly, then attempted to mount the buffa-corn. It wasn't terribly hard - once he didn't try to use the stirrup-reins to mount - but sitting astride the rhynnorm, Sean was wondering if he was lucky he didn't have exterior genitalia. He had never ridden a horse before, but he was pretty sure they didn't have such broad backs, which mandated a wide-legged perch. Sean was thinking it might be a rough ride for those with balls - the saddles weren't terribly soft, either. It was different, sitting so high.

"Okay, guys, that wasn't so bad. Who's gonna try to mount one of these bad-boys next?"

Swan cautiously approached, staying well away from the rhynnorm's head and more importantly, its teeth and horn, then mounted the beast behind Sean with far more grace than he had, though the hand he offered might have had something to do with it. Sean tried not to be so acutely aware of Swan pressed close to his back - though there was plenty of space on the back of the buffa-corn - her hands looped around his waist, but it wasn't an easy thing. Swan gave Yithaja a tight smile. "Beasts of burden, they know their place."

Sylvia was somewhat skeptical of the beast of burden. As it turned out, the feeling was mutual.

As she tried to draw up to the side of the strange animal, it reared back, eyes impossibly wide and nostrils flared, making perfectly clear that it knew - somehow - that this two-legged disguise would not fool it. The rhynnorm wanted nothing to do with this predator.

"Well," the were-panther ventured, "looks like I'll be on foot for this little adventure." She cast a gaze in Ravi's direction. "Care to hike together, Mr. FitzCoventry?"

Ravi frowned at the ryhnnorms, his expression plainly communicating that he was, firstly, not happy with this wrinkle and secondly, that it wasn't altogether a surprise. He sighed elegantly, then shrugged at Sylvia, his lips crooking in a wry smile.

"Seeing as the alternative is staying here and missing all the fun..." he drawled, then grinned as he straightened up. "I'd be delighted, Miss Dorn." He looked again at the monstrous beasts and wrinkled his handsome nose. "Somehow, I doubt we'll lose their trail even if we do fall behind." he confided to Sylvia as he crossed to stand beside her. Inwardly, he was cursing somewhat at his recaltricant beast that only seemed to want to emerge when there was something to damn kill, and hid inside him the rest of the time. Making the trip as a panther would be much easier, but a FitzCoventry was nothing if not stoic in adversity.

He looked around as the others started to emerge from the hut and, in the case of Mari and Renata, from somewhere behind the armory, his model-quality features set in a smooth smile. "Looks like we won't be able to ride together." he told Mari with a grin and a shrug. "These beasts don't like panthers anymore than the rest of you."

Ryan climbed up onto one of the beasts easily enough, his natural athleticism making up for any lack of experience. He sat in the saddle for a moment before frowning, "This ain't very comfy." Pulling his legs up he rearranged himself crosslegged on the wide saddle and wiggled about. The beast seemed to barely even notice. Finally Ryan nodded, "This'll do." He looked at Ravi, apparently content to walk and then shrugged, Must be a cat thing. "How long we gonna be at this?"

Ray pointedly ignored Ryan and his antics, feeling his sense of being annoyed by the mere presence of the senior skyrocket. In any case, he wasn't going to be fighting well from the tops of one of the rhynnorms. It was better to be safe than sorry in case of ambush, since there always was a fair chance these days. Nevertheless, the pace would be impossible on foot, so for the time being he clambered onto his seat on one of the great animals, and leaned over to fix Ryan crossly. "A while, so if I hear you say 'Are we there yet?' you will be in for it."

Renata started climbing up the beast as Yithaja glowered, giving her the finer points like, "Don't walk into his mouth."

Mari gave Ravi a hurt look that swiftly devolved into a heartbreakingly sullen pout as she half-turned away from him and softly reprimanded him by saying, "I like panthers..."

Then Renata called down, "Hey, c'mon up! Here..." and leaned over, stretching out her hand to help Mari up. Mari gave Ravi a look, like she was thinking about walking with him...then sighed and scrambled up the monster's flank, desperately holding onto Ren's hand as she went, until she managed to find decently secure seating right behind the older girl, just ahead of the beast's hind legs.

Renata made a gesture like she was tipping a wide-brimmed hat on her head and said in her best (not that great) Wilford Brimley voice, "Happy trails, son. Seeya at journey's end. Hyah!"

The 'hyah' would have been better if it had caused the beast to move. It grunted. Renata scowled and shouted, "Hyah!" again, this time kicking her heels against its ribs. It grunted again, and uttered a low growling moaning noise. Mari could swear it looked at Yithaja as if to say, 'Would you get this loud thing off my back and feed me?'

"Allow me." Ravi said in an amused drawl as he watched the other Dalton students mounting up. A sudden urge towards devilment taking him, he sauntered to a spot about twenty feet behind the riding animals. "It's all in the pitch of the voice, you see." He cleared his throat, as though about to make a speech or sing.

Then he started practicing scales. He had, the others noticed, a rather good silken-toned voice.

"Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do..." he sang, then grinned evilly.

"Ravi-" Frida began, some presentiment of trouble sparked by that smile.

"Mister FitzCoventry..." Sylvia warned, knowing what the little bastard was about to do...

"Dude, what are you-?" Ryan started.

Ravi roared.

It wasn't a loud, furious roar such as had rocked the walls of the village drinking hall the previous night. It was part snarl, part roar. The sound of a hungry predator that's tired, frustrated, and just aching to sink it's teeth into some prey stupid enough to be standing around when they could, for example, be moving away from the noise. That the sound came from a human throat and lips was eerie, but the rhynnorms probably didn't care much about that...

At the sound of the roar, Autumn darted out of the lodge in which she'd slept the previous night, her sea-coloured eyes wide and startled as she reached instinctively backward to brush the arrows in the quiver on her back. Seeing the others gathered near the enormous beasts of burden, she jogged toward them cautiously, bow in hand. It was beautiful in its simplicity, crafted of a composite of some unknown horn and deep, rosy wood, and perfectly suited the fur-trimmed leather into which she'd changed. Given a few smudges of woad, with her flushed, freckled cheeks and loose copper braid, she'd have looked remarkably like some ancient Celtic huntress as she approached the group.

"Sorry," she mumbled apologetically, wondering if the spine-chilling sound had been from Ravi, or some other, less amiable predator. "I had a hard time figuring out how to get my quiver arranged with the cloak. Coats are usually a lot more forgiving, with the sleeves and all." Yithaja merely rolled her eyes at that, and curtly directed her to mount one of the ill-tempered beasts. It took her a few moments to get situated; the creature's broad back was wider than a horse's, but it was shaggy enough she wasn't worried about a lack of places to grab. She managed to arrange her satchel to rest near her hip, and pulled the heavy hood forward to block out the worst of the frigid air.

"I'm ready, when everyone else is."

Ahvia had eyed the ryhnnorms with the mix of curiosity and fear that marked someone who had never actually ridden before. Lucia leaned over and quietly asked Rosa, "Hey, will you ride with Ahvia? You're a better rider than I am and it looks like she'll need some help."

Rosa and Ahvia eyed each other, still a little uncertain of Lucia's other friend, but Rosa finally shrugged and smiled at the alien girl, "Yeah, I can do that. C'mon Ahavia, lets get mounted up. It's really not as hard as it looks." With that, Rosa climbed her way up the side of one of the ryhnnorm with deceptive ease, reaching down to help the surprising light feather-haired girl up. It took two tries, but eventually both of them were settled in on their mount. Lucia packed the side their side saddles with their extra gear, then did the same on her own mount before swinging up onto the saddle. It took her two times as well, mollifying Ahvia's pride and getting a giggle out of Lucia's oldest friend. "Smoothe moves, Morticia," Rosa chuckled.

Lucia arched at brow at her and shot back, "I am nowhere near that pale, Snow White." The name calling was an old game of theirs, though 'Morticia' was certainly a new twist. The ryhnnorm seemed entirely unconcerned with its rider's shadowing nature, though.

Then Ravi roared. The ryhnnorm didn't seem to care. The girls, on the other hand, nearly started out their saddles; Ahavia was clinging so tightly the Rosa that the other girl had to gasp out a plea to be let go. Lucia shot the pampered nobleman a withering stare. "Thanks," she dripped sarcasm and reproach. "That helped so much."

At the roar ripping through the air, the ryhnnorm, lurched a step forward, more from surprise than from fear, but it was enough to throw Sean off balance when at the same time, he had tensed and hunched his shoulders in wary shock, trying to glance over his shoulder to see the source, and not being used to riding... well anything. Pleasant as it was, Swan tightening her hands around his waist - and rather high at that - nearly sent them both off the broad back of the beast.

"Jesus-fuck!" he swore in his undeniably feminine voice, scrambling for the pommel. The horned animal was make some sort of deep, grinding grumbly noise, as if it was gurgling gravel, and it was trying to turn it's head in the direction of the panther-man. Sean fought back with the boot-reins, shooting Ravi a bitter, irritated look. "Thanks, Ravi. You just set my vehicle from park to angry trash disposal." Sean turned his blue eyed glare on the ryhnnorm. "Stop, damn you! No, that way! Dick."

Yithaja snorted. "Do not sound like an untouched who had never been kissed. Command!" She barked several commands, voice low and sharp, the ryhnnorm responding instantly. "See, you try."

After some trial and error, Sean got the hang of it, though swaying gait made him feel like the animal was trying to shake him off, even though he seemed to be keeping his seat fine. Swan on the other, rode easily, or at least, it felt that way to him. Sean circled the staging area, getting a feel for riding, then moved to the head of the trail.

"Okay guys, I think I got a handle on this. We ready to hit the trail?" He gave Ravi a baleful glare, who returned with a smirk - though if anything, he seemed a little put out by the lack of a bigger reaction from the ryhnnorms. "And you. You can go all panthery and shit, but some of us are still ridin' these damn things, so please, can you not try makin' them buck us off? I don't want to die trampled by a buffa-corn."

Frida patted Ravi's arm consolingly, though he could see that her dark eyes glimmered with faint amusement.

"Don't feel too bad, Ravi - perhaps the predators sound different in this land, and so they don't know they're supposed to be afraid of you."

She had changed into a pair of loose-fitting pants made out of a coarsely-woven material that hung wide at the bottom, almost like full-length yoga pants. Over that she had left her pale pink tunic, though she had taken one of the leather bodices and managed - somehow - to lace herself into it without assistance. She had also found a pair of thick leather gloves that looked a bit (now that she was next to them) as if they were lined with ryhnnorm fur, and a cloak with a hood to cover the whole ensemble. A glimpse at her feet revealed that she was still wearing her hiking boots, which seemed appropriate to the situation, and revealed a little peek of jeans sticking out from the borrowed pants. She had found a dagger and attached it around her waist with a strap of leather long enough to suit such a purpose. Overall, she looked as if she had dressed more for warmth than for fighting - a practical decision, given the young artist's lack of experience with any sort of combat, real or simulated.

She glanced up at the creatures. Yithija had brought enough for them all to double up - it was impractical to send extra beasts, when they might be needed here, after all. Rosa and Ahvia had doubled up, as had Mari and Renata, and Sean and Swan. Ryan and Ray each had their own beast, due to the fact that neither Sylvia nor Ravi could ride, which left Lucia and Autumn on the final two creatures. (Given that they'd had an uneven number to start with, someone had been destined originally to ride alone). Frida glanced between the four that were seated individually on their beasts, and Ravi - being the only one here who knew Frida's moods even a little - could sense the nervous hesitation in her voice as she realized her predicament. This was, he realized, something that had happened to her often - Frida, the creepy girl, the weird chick, always last to be picked for the team, and all that.

"Perhaps someone might not mind if I ride with them?"

Ravi grinned at the annoyed Sean and Lucia, though Sean was right: he was a little put out that his horsing around hadn't had a greater impact on the rhynnorms. Frida's amused consolation pretty much put the icing on the 'fail-cake', as Ryan would probably say, and the young nobleman sighed and cast a resigned glance her way, one corner of his mouth crooking in a smile.

"It's probably just as well." he said ruefully, then grinned a little. "Though it was worth it to see Sean get his knickers in a twist."

He watched as some of the others started following Sean's example, getting the buffacorns to move, then heard Frida's quiet request and gave her another smile.

"Just go on and climb up behind someone you don't mind sharing a saddle with for six hours or so." he told her with a shrug. "Personally, I'd pick the best rider or the best conversationalist."

"With me," Yithaja ordered Frida, more than offered, having claimed her own mount. She expertly guided the beast over and pulled Frida up behind her. Green eyes - mostly rimmed by fur from the head-wrappings - settled on Ravi for a long moment, and the werecat thought he saw a hint of sympathy there. Then the rhynnorm spun in a tight circle and the Chideran began to lead the way through the snow.

The drifts were small enough in town, but once they were beyond the low exterior wall and into the wilderness proper, some of the snow reached as high Ravi and Sylvia's thighs. The rhynnorms were breaking the snow for the two of them, but they were still finding it hard going.

The morning sun was bright, and just warm enough to stop the two werepanthers from freezing as they slogged through the snow behind the riding beasts, but other than that it provided little comfort. Indeed Ravi's eyes were smarting a little from the dazzling reflection from the snow, the catlike pupils contracting to near-invisible slits as he gamely followed alongside Sylvia. He made it appear a graceful endeavour, his sure-footedness and preternatural sense of balance keeping him from stumbling clumsily through the freezing white drifts, but it was far from effortless.

Sylvia found him a quiet travelling companion, an almost-brooding silence hanging around the young nobleman as he forged through the thigh-deep snow, handsome features smooth but for the faint pensive lines around his eyes which were, for the most part, kept half-closed. His answers to any conversation were cordial but concise, plainly saving most of his energy for the hike. Of course, that was only part of the reason. Ravi was using the time for what some considered to be an activity beyond him: serious introspection.

He was, perhaps for the first time since the weirdness started, pondering over what exactly he and the others had gotten themselves into. Caught up in the sudden revelation of his true heritage and exulting in the heady rush of his new abilities, he'd not really thought about much outside of trying to adapt and re-establish his place in the world. Instinctive feline arrogance and inherited aristocratic confidence aside, Ravi was still a young man, and the opinions of his friends mattered more to him than he would ever admit, even under torture. This was one reason he didn't habitually have more than one or two friends - it paid to be choosy with regards to whose opinions factored in your decisions. But now he was literally heading into unknown danger against world-conquering enemies with ten other students, one teacher, a girl who appeared to be part-bird and a red-headed barbarian warrior-woman. Most of whom were unusual in the same way that he was, too. He considered his companions, squinting jade eyes gleaming in the sunlight as he raised his gaze to take them in one by one.

Sean, now a woman: a Chideran, to be precise. A woman-shaped humanoid, perhaps only a little more human than Ravi, yet still clinging to his/her human sensibilities. Sean needed to go to a place called Heartstone, to stop his/her Soulfire guttering. The Chiderans seemed to be mystically strong and fast - Ravi remembered the pain the woman had caused him with the now-healed cut on his shoulder - and powerful enough en masse to keep the Caramine at bay, and the Soulfire seemed to be the key to that. Having it 'gutter' would be bad, if it was anything like he imagined. Ravi pictured it like his being cut off from the intense passions and instincts of his animal side. Even though they were currently in a state of cold war (which would continue until Sean climbed down off his high-rhynnorm) Sean was the main reason Ravi was making this particular trek, though he'd scoff if someone said so. He wanted to be there for when his friend needed his support, if he/she failed, and to cheer him/her on when he/she succeeded.

Ryan... was Ryan. His powers didn't seem to have fundamentally changed him yet. He was still the jester, still rolling and tumbling with the punches. He hadn't judged Ravi as some of the others had, nor had Ravi expected him to. Ryan, in his opinion, had his priorities straight. "Is Ravi gonna claw the shit outta me? No? Then we're cool." pretty much summed up Ryan's attitude. Where he got his radar-vision, Ravi didn't know. Was it genetic, like he and Sean? Was it exposure to a radioactive bat? Who knew? Somewhat of a keen social observer under the socialite, Ravi knew that the Ryans of the world were the grease over the rough spots of any group. To dismiss him as merely a clown was to do the senior a dis-service.

Mari. The werepanther's eyes sought her out where she rode behind Renata, red-cheeked from the cold and laughing at the grumbling noises the rhynnorm was making. The sight made him smile slightly, a smile that broadened when she twisted in the saddle and sought him out, gloved hand giving him a wave and eyes shining with the excitement of the journey. He raised one hand in a jaunty salute, seeing her grin as she turned back around, the world seeming just a little darker as her gaze moved elsewhere. Ravi sighed slightly. She was too good for him - not in the cliche "Gee I'm lucky to have such a girl" way, but in the literal sense of her being too 'Good'. She possessed an almost angelic quality, a sense that had been heightened last night when she'd called down light from the heavens in front of witnesses. Even during the heavy petting session later on, she'd possesed that same sweet innocence she always had. Did he love her? He didn't know, didn't explore that. Could he afford to? In his bleaker moments, the young noble wondered if they had any future past the immediate. What would life, real life not this adventure, be like with Mari? Could she live with what he was? Ravi had a vague presentiment of his own future being dark and tinged with red, a path lined with thorns shaped like claws and fangs. He felt it, deep in the core of him, that he was going to have to venture into the Wild Wood in order to grow into what he was meant to be. Mari would either seek to turn him from that path... or worse, she would try to walk it beside him only to be ripped open by the thorns. Ravi would rather drive her from him than let that happen, but maybe it wouldn't be that way. Maybe she could simply shine her light so he could find his way back from the primal dark. If that was the case, then maybe they had a future.

Frida. Another girl Ravi actually cared for. She saw and spoke with the dead, and it plainly disturbed and frightened her. He'd wanted to give her the comfort she needed the other night, when she'd come to him. They'd both needed it, really. Sex without complication, shared warmth and passion without expectations. But he'd turned her down, trying to be a better person for the first time in his life. He'd done the right thing, he was sure. The deception and two-faced existence would have eaten at them, and could only have led to disaster further down the road. But if he'd done the right thing, why did he feel like such a heel? And an idiot, for that matter. Frida was undeniably attractive, sexy, and her classical fashion sense was intriguing (he remembered the Victorian-style stockings he'd discovered her wearing on that painting expedition fondly). And she'd remained a friend to him, through everything. That was something Ravi wasn't used to from girls he'd slept with, and it marked the haunting beauty apart from the common herd.

Autumn... Autumn was a strange quantity. Pretty in a girl-next-door way, down to earth and practical. She'd climbed down into a gully by moonlight to help a stupid nobleman who'd 'injured himself running around naked on a bet', and that courage, along with her resilience on discovering that said nobleman was in fact a creature from dark tales, had won her the werepanther's respect. Plus, of course, their first meeting had been fun. He grinned a little as he remembered her face, reddened with exertion and embarassment, as he'd leaned out the window to say hello to the braless young woman dangling in the tree outside his dorm room. He'd felt a strange closeness to her, something non-sexual in and of itself, that had made it surprisingly easy to talk to the young woman.

Renata... Ravi wasn't sure how he felt about her. On the one hand, she was a rival, pure and simple. She was in love, or had a crush on, Mari. She was competition, or wanted to be, and the thing to do with competition was to beat it mercilessly. But she was also honest, and straightforward. They'd bonded a little during their private talk, he felt. They weren't friends as such, maybe never would be, but they had a good shot at being comradely rivals.

Lucia he knew less about. She'd disappeared, and come back from beyond the Doors with Ahvia in tow. She'd also dragged her friend Rosa into this mess, who apparently had no special gifts to speak of. She was stubborn and forceful as she was lovely, quite willing to face down a hungry panther over a dead horse. Ravi was glad he'd exerted his dwindling sense of self in order to spare her the natural repercussions of that act. She seemed to be fairly solid as an individual, despite her stubborn streak. Her shadowy appearance was eerie, but not altogether offputting.

Venkman he knew nothing about at all. The boy had survived over here for god-knows how long and had evidently gone native to a degree. Micah he was likewise unfamiliar with - they didn't hang in the same circles back on Earth, and yet had been thrown together in this adventure.

And finally Sylvia, footslogging it through the snow alongside him. Teacher or friend? Teacher and friend, perhaps? Out here, her authority hung by a thread spun of social custom and personality, and it was plainly distressing her to have her students running wild, sometimes literally. They were headed into danger, metaphorical stormclouds on the horizon, and all she could do right now was come along for the ride and try to keep everyone safe. She was like him, a panther, and that kinship was what had let her reach out to him last night and bring the sulking Ravi home. She had come after him, and whether it was out of personal loyalty to her student or abstract adherence to duty, Ravi could respect that.

They were heading into trouble. Not right now, perhaps, but as animals sense an impending storm Ravi sensed what was ahead of them all, beyond Heartstone. The only way to stop a conquest was to fight a war. The FitzCoventries had earned their nobility in war, back during the time of the Black Prince. Ravi's forefathers had served in the British armies as recently as World War II, and as far back as Crecy. And now he would be involved in a similar, but much larger scale of struggle. There was no escaping that fact, even if he wanted to.

First, though, he needed to figure out how to control his damned shifting! The beast was there, tauntingly just out of reach, only coming when he got angry. That wouldn't damn well do at all. He needed the flexibility and power that controlling his change could grant. His friends needed him at his best, and Ravi himself felt incomplete without that control. If he was able to shift at will, for example, he wouldn't be freezing his bloody toes off wading through knee-deep snow. He darkly glowered at his inner self, trying to figure out the mechanism, the switch that triggered the Change. Maybe it wasn't a switch, he realised. Maybe it was a state of mind, or a relaxation of certain thoughts. If animals were instinctive, maybe he was thinking about being a panther too much, and not feeling like a panther.

He tried it. Tried feeling the tireless lope of powerful muscles rather than this plodding human slowness, the feeling of the wind on fur rather than smooth skin, tasting every nuance on the breeze rather than simply imagining what those sensations felt like. He tried recalling what it felt like to be the panther, to overlay that information onto his sensory map of the world as he tried to ignore the cold seeping into his toes.

With the trek finally begun, Sean felt a weight fall off his shoulders (if not his chest). Though the village was barely out of sight, it felt like there was no turning back for him, for all of them... and that suited him fine. There were committed now, as a group, and that was the beginning to building a winning team. Admittedly, they still had a lot of progress to go on actual team-work and team spirit, but they could work on that.

The group was silent during the beginning of their journey, each student and the single faculty member lost in their own thoughts, pondering what this meant for them, for all of them. For Sean, it had somehow all come down to family. Decades ago, Dalton Academy had made a stupendous discovery, and his father had started a multi-dimensional - or something - war through best intentions and teenaged arrogance. And his mother had fought in that war, a warrior woman of the Chiderans.

Now, he was setting out to try and help right that old mistake and behalf of his father, the hard-wrought truce having expired - and they still needed to know what that Truce was. He rode to confront his mother who had always been disappointed, disgusted even, by him, now a daughter of hers, like his two sisters, and to find what being a Chideran meant. Though his mother might be a large source of information dealing with the conflict between Dalton and the Caramines, he was still glad everyone had decided to accompany him to HeartStone - they could have stayed in the relative comfort of DoorHold.

Speaking of comfort, he wasn't sure how the other people seemed to find riding the buffa-corns so easy. He had learned to control the beast well enough, but he couldn't seem to adjust to the ryhnnorm's muscular, lumbering stride. Already, his ass was going numb on the thin, hard-leather saddle, though he believed he had found the secret to the Chideran's legs and buns of steel - riding these things made it them necessity. He tried crossing his legs like Ryan did and almost fell off.

"Yeah, Swan, the girls all look like they know how to ride, but I ain't used to it," Sean said over his shoulder to the former Caramine sitting behind him. "I'm gonna have to take a break from ridin' the buffa-corn some, need to stretch my legs and use my feet." He snorted wryly, an oddly delicate sound from a tall and martial looking young woman. "At least I'm Canadian, so I'm used to the snow."

"Canadian? What is this?" Swan asked, riding the ryhnnorm with enviable, unconscious grace, her hands resting loosely around his waist, just above his now flaring hips.

"It means I'm from Canada." Her solid black eyes blinked at him with blank incomprehension. Sean sighed. "it's another count - I'm used to walking through snow. Even though BC doesn't get as much snow as some places, Whistler is in the mountains, a ski-town. Lots of snow. Look, here, just get ready to scootch up, when I get off, 'kay?"

Swan looked uncertain, but shrugged. "As you wish."

Sean kicked his feet free of the stirrup-reins, then slid one leg over the back of the buffa-corn and waiting for an opportune moment when he didn't feel like he was risking being trampled by two-tonnes of meat, slid off, landing in an easy crouch, the snow off the path almost coming up to his chest. He waited for the train of ryhnnorms to pass, then moved in behind them as Ravi and Sylvia caught up, giving them a nod, but saying nothing.

The snow crunched underfoot as the sun rose nearly overhead, sharply defined shadows on the white shrinking. Wind swirled soft snow into the air, whispered through pine needles and made bare branches shake and rattle against each other. Even on the trail broken by the ryhnnorms, it was tough going. Snow clung to boots and legs, slid underfoot, the wind bit at the bare flesh of his face, turning his cheeks and nose red with cold, though the effort of walking was otherwise keeping him warm. Soon, he was puffing with effort, breath a silver cloud, though he didn't slow down at all. The ryhnnorm shit was rank.

"Thanks fer comin' along, Ravi, Ms. Dorn," Sean said. Though there seemed to move through the snow a bit more gracefully, their breathing a little more easy, the two were=panthers still didn't seem to be moving much faster, if any, than him. He had just assumed they would go all 'panther-bots, transform and claws out,' but they didn't. Maybe because their clothes didn't go with them. "You guys coulda stayed at DoorHold. I woulda told ya whatever Vanessa said 'bout the war with the Caramines."

Sean gave then another nod, then shrugged, not yet ready to apologize for his earlier comments, or believing he should have to. "Well, yeah, anyway, thanks, I just wanted to say." He pointed towards the big mounts ahead of them with his chin. "I think I can feel my ass again, so I think I'll risk it a bit more on buffa-corn." He forced a self-deprecating grin on his lips, though Ravi caught a hint of gritted teeth. "I got some extra paddin' there now, right?"

Archived