[OpNet] Homespun Faith

Stormwarden

Recently I decided to examine my spirtual beliefs and try to put them to words. I believe in the Great Mother-Goddess who gave life to the world. She speaks to me, but not in words. She shows me things in life and in how the world works.

What do others here believe and why do they feel that way?

Have any of you had a crisis of faith? What was it like?

I believe in God but not doctrine or dogma. I believe God is beyond definitions of male and female though I use the male pronouns when speaking of God and God's works. No offense meant to the Great Mother Goddess but its the way I learned to think about God.

I've never really had a crisis of faith. After erupting, many months after erupting, my mom asked me about my feelings towards God and I told her nothing fundamental had changed. Its been a while but being a nova still hasn't changed anything between me and God. Deep down I expect he gave me these gifts for a reason and someday I'll understand what that reason is.

Faith is something hard for me to have.I would not believe in a God, having seen the world in my eyes. If there was one I would put no faith in them. I do not have faith that their is a greater power.I think if there was one, it either has a plan for us and thus makes any faith or thing we do pointless, or it has let us go with no safety net. Either way they are not worth my time.

Now that is just me. I would rather think that the good, of people comes from them and not some greater power. It makes the act more pure to.It also makes the bad things more human.

I believe because I want to believe. I take comfort that there is a Greater Power and that there is an answer to the riddle of existance.

I've had a crisis of faith, but with help, I resovled it. Free will equates to both the good and the bad things in life, which to me means that if I want life to be better, I had best keep working toward that goal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Preston:
Free will equates to both the good and the bad things in life, which to me means that if I want life to be better, I had best keep working toward that goal.
Heh, well said Neil. Well said. We have to many gods n' hooligans out there to blame for our problems as it is.

Heh, I'd buy ya a beer for that one, but I don't know where you are, and doubt I could thrown it that far even if I did know. smile

If you choose to disagree with my theories of novas existing prior to N-Day, that's fine. If you choose to argue on that subject, that's your perogative as well. However the fact that you do not have faith in God does not indicate anything other than the fact that you do not have faith in God. You have your beliefs on the subject and that's all well and good but leave my nature out of your generalizations please.

Quote:
Free will equates to both the good and the bad things in life, which to me means that if I want life to be better, I had best keep working toward that goal.
Let me laugh a wile at your blood faced ignorance. If said statement were true the world be fair. The world isn't. The world is largely not in your's or my hands.I do not control what you do, your action effect mine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Let me laugh a wile at your blood faced ignorance.
I have no idea what you are laughing at.

Quote:
If said statement were true the world be fair. The world isn't.
If I have ever given the impression that I thought life was fair, I don't recall it. Next time I'm piecing some kid together because they were caught in an earthquake or somebodies crossfire, I'll try to keep it in mind, though.

Quote:
The world is largely not in your's or my hands.
I am actually very glad of that.

Quote:
I do not control what you do, your action effect mine.
You tried to control me once, but failed. I have taken that as a cautionary tale for dealing with people with delusionary beliefs in their ability to control others ever since.

And, since you missed it, I'll try to clarify my point ...
Quote:
... which I see as saying that we are each responsible for making the world a better, or worse, place. I know that my efforts may not add up to a hill of beans in the end, but I feel I should actively try to make a difference for the betterment of others as opposed to sitting on the sidelines and bitching about about injustices.

Quote:
This what I am laughing at. What work, or labor did I have to do to become a nova. To what work you did you?

Being a nova has changed my life in many ways and I cannot think of one thing I did that helped me become a nova.

Dreamer, you are arguing out of your depth. Again.

Neil Preston did not claim that free will and the exercise thereof is the exclusive source of change in one's life; only that it is a factor that we ignore to our own detriment. Certain things - such as genetic predisposition - are indeed out of our hands. The point that Neil is trying to make - and which you are missing - is that what we do with it makes a sweeping difference in our lives.

Take your status as a nova for example. Nothing you did gave you the genetic predisposition. However, you did - even if only subconsciously - affect the nature of your eruption, and the shape you took during said eruption. You have directed your own evolution from that point (for better or for worse).

Dreamer, were has anyone else but you implied that I believed that the me, and me alone, made life better or worse?

I know that I could do nothing and my life might get better, just like I could work my ass of and things could still get worse. I simply believe that if anyone wants the world to be a better place, they should work toward that, as opposed to praying to some diety to do make the effort for you, or blaming them for things not going well. Free will doesn't imply success, but the choice to work toward that success, or so I believe.

Quote:
In what clause did his statement imply that life could be improved by any outside source other than one's self? His frist post mind you. Not his next post.
Lives can, and have, been changed for better or worse by outside sources before and after novas came along.

My life was changed for the better by a meeting with a nova while I worked the streets in New York City.

When Yuri Badin killed my mother and put me in his string, life got worse because of an outside source.

I have personally gone onto the streets and removed young people from the strings of the pimps and given them the help they need. I have been the outside source to help others.

Would other forces changed their lives for better? Perhaps. But most likely, it get worse for them. That is life on the streets.

I know I was the outside source that made their lives better.

That is all I need to know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irini Mikhailova:
Belief in a higher being is a comforting thing to have in a cold, cruel world.

I personally believe in myself and my ability to change the world. I do not see 'God' coming down and helping children, but I know that I can.

Make sense, da?
That makes complete sense Ms. Mikhailova. Good luck with your quest, it is completely admirable.

Archived