Re-reading the Wheel of Time

So a few days ago I set foot down a path that may well lead to brain damage and/or insanity as I begin a full reread of the Wheel of Time cycle by Robert Jordan and Brian Sanderson. I say this because I know that there are more than 14 million words ahead of me. I say this because there are more than 11,000 pages ahead of me. I say this because I know that there are 3000 ish pages in the middle that are basically drek.

I started with "book 0", A New Spring: The Novel (as opposed to the novella version from the Legends compilation). I haven't read either of the first 2 Sanderson novels yet. I'm not even sure if I read the last pruely R.J. book, Knife of Dreams.

My reading volume is generally low and slow, about 10-20 pages per day unless I am away from home (when travelling I devour books much faster). Assuming this rate continues I could well be reading this for the next year and a half or longer.

Why I am telling you all this? Well, I am wondering if people would be interested in reading some kind of blog, or even just a series of after-the-fact reviews as I finish up each book. So I put it to you folks, would you all be interested in anything of that nature? In something else? Or have you ceased to care about Jordan's overstuffed and sprawling meandering epic?

I think is would be interesting to see someone else's opinion of the series. I've been reading (and re-reading) for a long time, but I've never bothered to read any blogs or forums on it before - mostly because I can really be bothered to goes elsewhere on the net besides here.

If you write it, Jim, I will come and read it. laugh

I love the series. I've reread them a handful of times, once went so fast (about 10 years ago) that even the 'bad' books didn't seem bad because everything was running together in my mind. (I was reading a book every week or so because my job was so insanely slow I could basically read all day.)

Suffice to say, it would be interesting to hear someone else's view on things, perhaps to discuss and debate certain topics.

I say go for it.

Definitely. I've reread them several times and will probably do so again before the final book comes out this year.

I think you will like the final books. I'm pretty impressed by Sanderson and even Jordan's later books started to pickup and get more interesting again.

I know this series has taken some serious flak because of Jordan's meandering, but despite that, I still find it to be one of the best series I've ever read.

OK, so there is definitely interest here. So the next question is what kind of format would you guys like to see? I don't think I have the time for a weekly blog but bi-weekly or monthly would be easy enough (I hope!), or I could do a blog when I finish each book (meaning that there could be a major gap between blogs). Do you guys have any preference? Also subject matter ... A weekly (if I could manage it) or biweekly blog could literally cover a each book in portion, or I could limit the blog to just major events/plot from the books. Alternately I could focus on how the books compare to RPGs, or even do rules discussions about the wackiness in the book (lots to do there actually). I want to know what people want to read so that I don't end up writing stuff people won't find interesting.

I wouldn't limit the subject matter to any one thing, but more blog style and whatever spoke to you for that time frame.

I think only one post per book would be far too large, as large walls of text are intimidating and people tend not to want to spend the time to read them.

Though I think something along the lines of once per two weeks or monthly at least would be best. There's also nothing that says you can't just post when you want. Schedules are the debil, Bobby!

What Damon said - post when and what you like. If something screams RPG conversion, mention that, if a plot point or event really interests you, talk about that. And post when you damn well please. I figure sometimes you'll have read a lot, and other times, a lull, so won't have much to say. It's all good.

And know I rarely post any replies to your blogs, Jim, but I do read them and usually find them interesting. (This is Asa, btw).

My commute to/from work is only 30 minutes and over half of that is in-city high traffic time, I don't think I would be able to listen well at all without impairing my ability to not die in a flaming heap of twisted metal and broken glass ... ok, that might be a teeny bit hyperbole, but the point remains unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Definitely. I've reread them several times and will probably do so again before the final book comes out this year.

It just clicked for me that you said "this year", so I thought I would mention that A Memory of Light isn't expected to drop until March 2012 right now based on this post on Sanderson's webpage. It was originally due in November this year, and might still be possible to hit that but apparently Sanderson isn't confident he can hit the deadline.

I originally begged my parents to get me the first books when we were at a Safeway shopping because it was fantasy and they were fat. It was summer, we didn't have power but for a few hours a night (generator) and I lived in the middle of BFE with no one around us.

I got tired of finishing a book a day and got them wholly on the premise it would take me around a week to read them. It is nice to think, some 15 years later, I might get to finish the series.

I was lucky enough to be working at B. Dalton books the year that the series came out. About 6 months before the book actually hit the shelves, the publisher sent out 'Not for resale' copies to the store managers of all the book stores as a way of generating interest in the book, and my manager didn't read Sci-fi, so she gave it to me.

Sadly, I wish now that I had never read it, but I must have read that copy three or four times and it shows wear. Otherwise, I'd bet that sucker would be worth some money someday.

Archived