Mutants & Masterminds - A Aberrant Translation (not a conversion)

I recently found this forum. And do to my current interest in both M&M and Aberrant , i wanted to share my thoughts with all of you. Now the first to understand, is this IS not a conversion system. This is taking the M&M system, and using it as cleanly as possible for Aberrant without having to change the system too much. I'll also share a few builds I had done.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Using Aberrant in Mutants & Masterminds. </span></span>

I used to love this game (well still do), and I thought it was one of the best super hero games at the time. I have seen many conversions for using it, but I am not going to do a conversion system here. I want to make a “creation” system for use with M&M, not attempt to break it. But I will reference as many sections as possible, so that creating a conversion will be possible if you desire.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Power Level:</span></span>

I have decided that the power level of the setting starts at 8. Why? Because the setting is based in a world where powers meet realism. This seems the best place to start. And it gives the players something to work at. Now in the Aberrant system where the system is more “open ended” they used a Quantum Trait, to decide how flexible and how powerful players could become. This wont be touched on the system, however you could use the Power Level of the character to determine a relative Quantum Trait (for conversion purposes) if you so desire. Simply subtract 7 from your characters power level.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Nova Based Feats:</span></span>

Nova's have some remarkable abilities, but not everything qualifies as a power. I have converted some of the traits from the Aberrant system into M&M. But this wont be a straight conversion either, we are trying to blend the systems not break it by creating some new mechanic.

<span style="color: #0080FF"><span style="font-weight: bold"> · Attunement (Ranked):</span></span> Novas have the ability to charge organic or inorganic objects with their quantum energy, making them immune to the effects of the Nova's powers. Without this ability a Nova would shred their normal clothes with powers like growth or energy aura. Every rank you take in this power increases the Mass you can affect on the progression table, starting at 5 lbs.

<span style="color: #0080FF"><span style="font-weight: bold"> · Dormancy.</span></span> Novas with this ability can power down their quantum energies, making it that much harder to detect them. When activated a Dormant Nova increases the difficulty to detect them with super senses that trace Quantum energies by +5. While powered down they cannot use any power save enhanced “traits” or what the GM might consider a base characteristic, such as longevity.

<span style="color: #0080FF"><span style="font-weight: bold"> · Node (Ranked). </span></span>All Novas posses a NR-Node which allows them to channel Quantum Energies, and thus grants them the ability to have powers. Now not every Nova has this trait and most can get by with-out it, but those who take this can use more energy and has the ability to detect quantum energy. Treat this as Super Senses 1 (Quantum Awareness). This is where character creation takes a strange turn, the base rules which I have developed here. DO NOT ALLOW trade offs without taking this trait. For every rank in this feat, you can trade off 1 rank, up to a maximum trade off of +/-4.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Nova Powers:</span></span>

<span style="color: #0080FF"><span style="font-weight: bold"> · Eufiber.</span></span> Eufiber is a wonder, this organic polymer-esque substance is used in many industries. It can be used as OpNet Cable, but true living Eufiber is a wonder for Novas. A colony of Eufiber is typically woven into a garment and shaped in this fashion it can be worn by baselines, but its true potential is only revealed when worn by a Nova. The colony can store quantum energy, which in turn can be used in a defensive manner. Stiffening up to protect the Nova from damage. And of course remain intact when using the Nova's powers. A Eufiber outfit can adapt its shape at the Novas whim, allowing it to change its shape, color, and other parameters. <span style="font-style: italic">"Treat this as 1 rank of hard to remove device, with the Quick Change feat and Protection power."</span> GM's may also decided that Eufiber as uncommon as it might be, might be normal equipment as well. That's fine as well, especially if you are deciding to not penalize a starting hero with "Not" having a Eufiber outfit. <span style="font-style: italic">"A typical Eufiber outfit would have 2 ranks of Quick Change, and 3 ranks of protection"</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I had created before I got to TAINT and, got stumped on how to handle it. lol </div></div>

ruby.jpg

"Let me dazzle you. "

Ruby (PL 11, 170pp)

Identity: Secret (unrevealed). Origin: Mutation, Age: 22, Height: 5'8", Weight: 140 lbs,

Abilities [37pp]: STR: +1 (12), DEX: +8 (26), CON: +2 (15), INT: +1 (13), WIS: +2 (15), CHA: +3 (16)

Saves [15pp]: Tough: +2/+8, Fort: +8, Ref: +12, Will: +7

Skills [15pp]: Acrobatics 8 (+16), Bluff 7 (+10), Escape Artist 4 (+12), Gather Information 7 (+10), Notice 6 (+8), Search 7 (+8), Sense Motive 6 (+8), Stealth 8 (+16), Swim 4 (+5)

Feats 9pp]: Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus (ranged) 3, Attractive (+4), Defensive Attack, Distracting Looks, Equipment 1, Evasion

Powers [59pp]:

Chimeric Motes (Force Field 6) (+6 Toughness; Impervious)

Flight 6 (Speed: 500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd)

Ruby Blast (Blast 12) (DC 27)

· Ruby Bomb (Blast 10) (Alternate; DC 25; Explosion Area (60 ft. explosion - Targeted) [6 ranks only]; Reduced Range 2 (max range 250 ft.))

· Ruby Flash (Dazzle 8) (Alternate; affects: visual senses, DC 18; Shapeable Area (8 cubes of 125 cu. ft. (5x5x5) - General))

Ruby Chimera (Environmental Control 3) (light, Radius: 25 ft.; Duration (continuous))

· ESP 3 (Alternate; affects: visual senses; Noticeable)

Super-Senses 2 (infravision, radius: Visual )

Combat [36pp]: Attack Bonus: +6 (Ranged: +9, Melee: +6, Grapple: +7), Defense: +12 (Flat-footed: +6), Knockback: -7, Initiative: +8

Attacks (dc): Ruby Blast +9 (DC 27), Ruby Bomb +9 (DC 25), Ruby Flash (DC Fort/Ref 18 dazzle), Unarmed Attack, +6 (DC 16)

Equipment: Eufiber Outfit (Quickchange 1, Protection 3)

*Ruby's Eufiber outfit is considered Equipment, since her major power of her defense is her Chimera.

Drawbacks: Vulnerable, uncommon, minor, Darkness

Complications:

· Quirk: Fear of the Dark.

· Secret: Her True Identity.

Builders Notes:

Ruby is constantly surrounded by two orbs of red energy, which she refers to as Chimera. She can increase the number of orbs, make them spin faster, or slower. And is the source of most of her power effects for the most part. Her skin is an unreal pink color, with dark red hair. Her eyes are red, and surrounded by a glowing black aura. Ruby is an exercise in trying to break from my usual female villain molds to create something new and unique. Thus Ruby was born. It helped that second life, helped me create the image I use for the character. Personally I think she would make a great Aberrant character as well. I am so in an aberrant kick now, lol .

Aberrant Version:

Give Ruby affiliations with the Teragen. She would have the Nova Eyes & Anima Banner Aberrations. Giving her a permanent taint of 6 (albeit , this doesn't mean much in M&M, simply because their is no reasonable way to simulate taint, since its a combination of many things. Flaws, drawbacks, extras, complications etc. ).

Archived